GM Doug Whaley has been fired

What is his plan?

...my guess would be to evaluate the last 17 years of futility and figure out why.....first place IMO would be the patchwork FO and administration over that stretch.....unraveling started with Polian firing as well as Butler for planning to head to SD with AJ (and leaving behind cap jail)...."El Presidente" DonoHOLE was a control freak....he gets fired and we patch with Marv, Brandon, Buddy, etc.....keep in mind that when Pegulas bought the club, there were probably many RW loyalists on staff who had been comfortably entrenched for years.....Kim's first order of business until Marrone's exodus unexpectedly tipped the organization upside down was to conduct a "top to bottom" review of every department and every position at OBD.....but, it was scrapped.....an organization is only as good as its leader(s) and this club has been woefully lacking in a solid FOOTBALL structure run by FOOTBALL people....fix the TOP and good things flow through the ranks..........

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@OptimumScouting: I've been told Whaley was maybe the ONLY person in #Bills scouting/coaching staff that didn't value Tyrod as QB. Every coach/scout loved him

Did Whaley end his Bills career by treating EJ Manuel like a better player than Tyrod Taylor? Sure seems like it.

Yikes. There sure was alot of smoke about this during the decision to retain Tyrod IIRC. I guess the reports of a rift were true.

Simon: I'm speaking for myself here, but Whaley lost me on Tyrod, who I like as both a player and competitor. What do you think of Taylor, and what do you think of Whaley's own views on the qb position? I think it's pretty clear beyond all doubt now that he was the biggest backer of Manuel in the NFL. That last game against the Jets must have horrible for Whaley, and I seriously felt bad for him because Manuel is not unlikable. In any event, I thought his jacking around of Taylor near the end of last season was mystifyingly wrongheaded.

If the owner, head coach and GM came together there and clearly communicated a plan to the player I think it would've been fine.

"Listen Tyrod- we know you've been playing hurt and we appreciate you stepping up like that. Now that we are out of it we want to make sure you get that procedure done so you can lead us through the offseason healthy" would've gone over a whole lot better than letting him twist, no one really meeting with him, letting the media get in his head.

What do you think of Taylor, and what do you think of Whaley's own views on the qb position? I think it's pretty clear beyond all doubt now that he was the biggest backer of Manuel in the NFL. That last game against the Jets must have horrible for Whaley, and I seriously felt bad for him because Manuel is not unlikable. In any event, I thought his jacking around of Taylor near the end of last season was mystifyingly wrongheaded.

I think Taylor is a talented athlete with limited upside at the QB position because of his lack of field vision, questionable decision making and his erratic accuracy.

And Whaley is open-minded enough that he is willing to go with what works, but given his druthers he'd take a more traditional pocked passer.

The narrative that he was tied to Manuel and that he pushed him on anybody is entirely false with no basis in reality.

And he didn't jack Taylor around; he read the market correctly, stood his ground and got his agent to rework the contract to make it more manageable.

OMG prove the bills use another teams draft board!

Like they're some genius scouting department and know more than we do about players.

It's all crazy. We traded up for Zay because we needed the guy and anyone who follows the draft knows there was a slim chance he'd be there for the 12th pick on day 2.

Thats a long way from cheating

Regardless of what you think of him, it is so ugly how they have handled the Whaley situation. If he is fired tomorrow, the way they left him hanging out there is classless.

You mean the same way they left Ryan hanging out there?

Did it bother you when they did it to him?

You are right, my mistake. I do think he was fired at the same time as Ryan, what other explanation is there for the last four months?

But why not hire a replacement? Other teams that fired their GM, hired new ones in Jnauary. This just continues to scream the Pegulas are clueless. Good luck hiring a GM, with a coach that has been given total control for 3 months already in place.

Well, then those scouts that loved TT should watch some NFL games where teams have QBs that throw with timing and anticipation and use the full field.

I appreciate Taylor's effort and that he is the best QB that the Bills have had in a long while, but that doesn't mean that he is even in the top 1/2 of the league as a passer. MAYBE he can improve his passing - if so then you have something, but if this report is accurate, Whaley was not wrong in his lack of belief in Taylor.

Trolling Tyrod is getting old, just support the guy because he WILL be the QB this year. Or complain until 2018. Either one.

Regardless of what you think of him, it is so ugly how they have handled the Whaley situation. If he is fired tomorrow, the way they left him hanging out there is classless.

I agree. I'm not a fan of DW, but the way this has been handled is pretty classless. As long as Russ and Overdorf are still there, we aren't going anywhere.

@OptimumScouting: I've been told Whaley was maybe the ONLY person in #Bills scouting/coaching staff that didn't value Tyrod as QB. Every coach/scout loved him

Did Whaley end his Bills career by treating EJ Manuel like a better player than Tyrod Taylor? Sure seems like it.

Certainly does seem like it. Week 17 was messy. Coach fired. TT benched. It was apparent EJ sucked. Then Cardale wasn't much better. DW shouldn't have tied himself to the mast of that sinking ship.

Whaley had EJ blinders. It was obvious from the beginning.