GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people that rip any negative reporting and believe that the Head Coach, GM', and Owners are always telling you the complete and total truth live in a land of unicorns and rainbows.

It's always mean Jerry Sullivan "making stuff up".

Pegula saying he never knows "where these reports come from".

After giving both Murray and Whaley contract extensions.

@ESPNStatsInfo

Terry Pegula owns the Bills and Sabres. In the last 10 days, he has fired: Sabres HC Dan Bylsma Sabres GM Tim Murray Bills GM Doug Whaley

This isn't dysfunctional, it's the opposite. It means he is willing to pay to correct his mistakes and make sure our reputation isn't shattered. Any GM worried about coming here knows he will make his money even if things don't go well.

I'm not criticizing the firing of Whaley---I'm applauding the owner. The firing of Whaley isn't an act of desperation, far from it. It is a decisive act to bring order and coherency to an amorphous and stagnating organization. The Whaley approach was a patchwork approach to building a roster. There was no long term coherent strategy. Decisions were made on a day to day survival mode mentality.

I'm far from declaring McDermott as the answer to this flagging franchise. What I can say about him is that he has a blueprint and a vision for the direction he wants to go. You can agree with it or not but there is at least a thought process to what he is doing.

The past generation, this organization has been a dismal failure. It had no identity other than being mediocre and boring. The goal was simply to be respectable with no belief that it could be a serious challenging team. Personnel decisions were made on an ad hoc basis with the mind-set to fill holes as they popped up. While teams such as the Pats plan years in advance for replacing players when their expiring contracts were imminent the Bills would scramble to respond as if it was a surprise.

The Pegulas have made some big mistakes and it is fair to criticize them. On the other hand they are learning as they gain experience as owners and are not afraid to act when it is called for.

Great synopsis.

Any chance they can be convinced that their lacrosse team(Buffalo Bandits) is where they need to focus the most, and leave the Bills and the Sabres to someone else?

From your lips to God's ears......

I It had no identity other than being mediocre and boring. The goal was simply to be respectable with no belief that it could be a serious challenging team. Personnel decisions were made on an ad hoc basis with the mind-set to fill holes as they popped up. While teams such as the Pats plan years in advance for replacing players when their expiring contracts were imminent the Bills would scramble to respond as if it was a surprise.

With all due respect, this is a massive load of pure bunk

I'm not criticizing the firing of Whaley---I'm applauding the owner. The firing of Whaley isn't an act of desperation, far from it. It is a decisive act to bring order and coherency to an amorphous and stagnating organization. The Whaley approach was a patchwork approach to building a roster. There was no long term coherent strategy. Decisions were made on a day to day survival mode mentality.

I'm far from declaring McDermott as the answer to this flagging franchise. What I can say about him is that he has a blueprint and a vision for the direction he wants to go. You can agree with it or not but there is at least a thought process to what he is doing.

The past generation, this organization has been a dismal failure. It had no identity other than being mediocre and boring. The goal was simply to be respectable with no belief that it could be a serious challenging team. Personnel decisions were made on an ad hoc basis with the mind-set to fill holes as they popped up. While teams such as the Pats plan years in advance for replacing players when their expiring contracts were imminent the Bills would scramble to respond as if it was a surprise.

The Pegulas have made some big mistakes and it is fair to criticize them. On the other hand they are learning as they gain experience as owners and are not afraid to act when it is called for.

John, the problem I see with empowering Sean McDermott as the coach and GM is that coaches think tactically, not strategically. They draft to fill needs on their roster and address weaknesses for the next year. That is not how the top football minds work. Bills will be a major disadvantage if we adopt the coach as GM approach.

This isn't dysfunctional, it's the opposite. It means he is willing to pay to correct his mistakes and make sure our reputation isn't shattered. Any GM worried about coming here knows he will make his money even if things don't go well.

Right on, very nicely said

The next GM will be McDermott's hire. Make no mistake. We have an Andy Reid structure now.... the GM works for Andy..... our GM will work for Sean. I think that is the wrong way around but it is much better than the "they both report to Terry" structure. We have one voice and one man in charge - that man is Sean McDermott. We now live and die by whether he is the guy. I have optimism.... let's hope he delivers.

I hope this is the case, though I agree it seems backwards, because the alternative is a continuation of this organizational structure that perpetuates a back stabbing power struggle with no incentive to work together.

Edited by transient

@OptimumScouting: I've been told Whaley was maybe the ONLY person in #Bills scouting/coaching staff that didn't value Tyrod as QB. Every coach/scout loved him

Did Whaley end his Bills career by treating EJ Manuel like a better player than Tyrod Taylor? Sure seems like it.

The Pegula's will continue down this road of being fools, if they have given McD the power that some believe he has been given.

IMO it will not end well.

It may not end well, but it had to be done. I was already going to give McD the benefit of the doubt this year, but now I am truly excited for this new direction the team is taking.

John, the problem I see with empowering Sean McDermott as the coach and GM is that coaches think tactically, not strategically. They draft to fill needs on their roster and address weaknesses for the next year. That is not how the top football minds work. Bills will be a major disadvantage if we adopt the coach as GM approach.

If McDermott is as good as Belichick none of us will care. It's way too early to know either way, and he started out as a scout so there is some background there.

Trading out of the #10 pick in '17 to acquire an additional #1 in 2018 should calm those concerns.