GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hogan was more than just another guy- he was the guy that was immediately transformed into productivity by the kingpin in our division and rubbed it into the bills faces. same thing will likely happen with gilmore and gillislee.

Given what we know now, letting Gilmore and Gillislee go to NE were both McDermott's calls.

You cannot block a GM if the Gm you are hiring is a GM. Example from San Fran

If control over the roster was promised to Shanahan in order to get him to take the job at a time when everyone else had bailed, the current employers of the candidates for the G.M. job could block the move, since it wouldnt entail the typical powers of a G.M.

Let's put this to bed:

"Here is how NFL spokesman Greg Aiello explained the GM contact rules, which are different than the coach contact rules:

"A team is not obligated to grant another team permission to discuss employment with a high-level employee (GM, president or equivalent responsibilities) under contract. For other club employees who do not fall into the category of high-level employee, they may be interviewed for a GM position."

hogan was more than just another guy- he was the guy that was immediately transformed into productivity by the kingpin in our division and rubbed it into the bills faces. same thing will likely happen with gilmore and gillislee.

36 vs 38 receptions. Let's not over state this.

He probably does. However, that influence may be waning.

I seriously hope that's the case, but he has a knack for ingratiating himself with his superiors.

He's a deeply embedded, diseased tick.

This mish mash of Ralph Wilson and Buddy Nix left overs hasn't worked. Marrone, Pettine, Rex all trying to figure out where they fit with Whaley and Russ. This was a necessary step. McDermott (and possibly Beane) has a vision which was sorely lacking over the last five years. "Bowl Cut" was putting band aids on wounds (see Sammy as WR for EJ, Dareus contract, Shaq as a 3-4 OLB, etc). Imagine if Whaley traded up for Trubisky and gave away our 1st round pick next year?? Ugh.

Nice move Terry. I like it.

Ummmm....how about the in over his head owner(s) who agreed to this ??

I wanted Whaley fired so I'm quite pleased at the moment. McD has won me over so I'm on board with whatever he wants. Never felt this way about a new HC of this team before.

doubtful, especially since gilmore was on his way out all of last season.

They could have tagged him and also matched Gillislee. McDermott calls all the way. Whaley's gone and McDermott has been running the ship. He'll own both decisions.

So all the good that happened was in spite of him, all the bad was because of him. Got it, nice fair and balanced critique.

I like this response, it's a good reality check. I liked a lot of what Whaley did here and still feel that he has always been all about Buffalo. With that being said there always seemed to friction and/or confusion in the FO. No leadership or a clear cut direction and while I wouldn't pin this completely on Whaley he was still a good part of it. Hopefully McDermott becomes our solution of getting on the right track. I'd like to think and say that he is but what do I know. What I do know that if he isn't then I'm screwed because I have invested over 4 decades into this franchise and I'm firmly in my back nine! Go Bills???!!??

They could have tagged him and also matched Gillislee. McDermott calls all the way. Whaley's gone and McDermott has been running the ship. He'll own both decisions.

Yep, you cant credit McD with retaining Tyrod, but then not associate him with the moves that followed.

Well it could be. I am wondering how they're going to attract a GM candidate who is going to be subservient to a coach. Who the hell would want that situation?

Yep. This is all kinda hilarious. I think DW had to go, but the timing is screwy.

No worries, just give it two years til the next round of firings.