GM Doug Whaley has been fired

People criticizing the Pegula's time as owners are justified. Clearly they made mistakes. They are literally paying for those mistakes now.

However, it's clear they have seen something in McDermott that has set the course for both franchises. I don't see this as a random or floundering. I see an owner who finally has enough experience in owning professional teams finally set a course based on their first hand experiences and what they perceive to be an impressive individual like McDermott.

for better or worse, I agree

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said this just a few weeks ago when the Sabres cleaned house. What is the common denominator at the top of both teams...

Pegula(s) and Brandon.

It all starts at the top... :(

Can we seriously stop with this Russ Brandon nonsense? It's so old.

The Bills franchise is dis-functional at best since Terry & Kim took over. They change coaches and GM's with the Bills & Sabres like I change my underware. I am emarrased to say I'm a Bills fan right now. We are the laughing stock of the NFL. Who in the right mind would want to work for Terry & Kim at this point. Not very good optics in my opinion.

Wake me up when Russ is canned, as long as he is president as has influence the failures will continue.

....surprised as to how much power Pegula granted McCoach......with Whaley gone twelve hours after the draft concluded, message to Brandon is pretty clear about where the line in the sand has been drawn.... probably NOT a good idea for Russ to test it IMO........

there will be a line out the door willing to take Tpegs money....

doesn't matter, that decision has already been made

Brandon Beane from panthers will get the job.

beane ball ? there was no way buf was keeping whaley . not with his record and public speaking skills glad they are cleaning house and not doing the sabres thing

i recall reading a piece just after the hire that monos convinced whaley to get behind mcdermott.

McDermott was the first time that Doug actually got to pick the coach he wanted.

Ironic, eh?

Thing that pisses me off the most is Whaley lost his job because if the Rex shenanigans. RussBrandon is the one who wanted to hire Rex and Whaley is getting screwed because Rex can't coach up a team.

I thought Whaley was a good GM and I've mostly liked his moves. But his ultimate downfall was not getting a QB in the draft (which I don't blame on him...we never had a good opportunity to grab one). There is so much more you need to draft a QB than just a need for one (coaching, good supporting/ complimenting teammates). I think Doug knew this and he also knew by forcing a QB could hurt the team longer down the line.

I think Doug was one of the best evaluators in the NFL at finding other NFL talent to sign for one or two year deals.

I hope we get a better GM than him. It would really suck if we hire some bum and we regress back to 4-12/ 5-11 seasons

I do think our pro personnel dept has been good. Hughes for Shepard? What a trade! Lorax was a solid pickup. Hogan, Gillislee,..

Yet he is the top guy in Pegulas inner circle. So no not really we cant

What are his job duties right now? Do you have any idea what he actually does? Or do you just hold a grudge over his years as GM and "owner" when Ralph couldn't handle things anymore?

Look at the win-loss record. Look at hiring a coach and then firing a GM. They are not good owners bc they are new to it. Maybe they'll get better but it's not good right now.

Like I said, it's a lifetime. The #1 part of ownership is hiring good people to run your franchise and give them the resources to succeed.

This will be the 1st time they have done it with the Bills. With the Sabres Pat Lafontaine quit on them because he didn't want to tank. This is really their 1st shot at hiring GMs.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

....surprised as to how much power Pegula granted McCoach......with Whaley gone twelve hours after the draft concluded, message to Brandon is pretty clear about where the line in the sand has been drawn.... probably NOT a good idea for Russ to test it IMO........

McCoach? It's McDictator from this day forward!

I agree on Russ, with so much volatility between the two teams he is surely laying low. Yes, please, and thank you will be his most common uttered words until things smooth out.

You don't think he is providing advice to Pegula as to how to run his organization? I'm not talking about Russ being involved in day to day football operations

Right now I think McD is influencing the Pegulas far more than Russ. He's running the show and it sounds like ownership has fully bought into him as the man in charge. I doubt Russ is going to win any battles against him anytime soon.

Edited by Bangarang

I do think our pro personnel dept has been good. Hughes for Shepard? What a trade! Lorax was a solid pickup. Hogan, Gillislee,..

But Hogan wasn't a good fit for our team. IMO. Gillislee was mishandled. I'll agree on that