GM Doug Whaley has been fired

What are his job duties right now? Do you have any idea what he actually does? Or do you just hold a grudge over his years as GM and "owner" when Ralph couldn't handle things anymore?

He is the president of everything.

I would be shocked if he didn't have some sort of input.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the Buffalo media would ask the pegulas why Russ Brandon has a job when he's been the common denominator. Really hammer at him

He makes them money and they obviously like the job he does. It's not complicated.

Edited by Bangarang

It's hard for me to celebrate anyone getting fired...but W's and L's are the scorecard and Doug did not deliver.

The timing was right because of the scouting work that had been done in FA and the Draft, but I believe the dye was cast for this in January during the coaching search when Coach McD was hired.

Doug and Coach McD seemed to tolerate each other and actually got some productive work done during both the draft and FA, kudos to both of them for that and a good look for Doug as he hits the job market.

If you look at the AFC its going to be really difficult for the Bills to be a playoff team..

Patriots -- really loaded for another run

Steelers - looking at Ben's last couple of years so they are all in

Raiders - only improving and see this as their time

Titans - have really loaded up on talent to surround Mariota

I think these are your division winners

That leaves the Bills competing with the likes of the Chiefs, Broncos, Ravens, Dolphins, Colts, Jaguars and Texans for the two wild card spots (I believe the Browns, Bengals and Jets are rebuilding). I think the Bills do not stack up well against the wildcard competition. The key will be head to head matchups against the other wildcard teams...everything can change with injuries, but my expectations are lowered when I look at the competition.

The focus of the new GM should be on building a 53 player roster with talent but also salary balance. That's where Doug screwed up the most..the Bills are limited in investing in other areas because of the D-Line, Running Back and TE investments they have made..this is where the new GM needs to focus...getting us more in balance I believe. You do that by living with what you have at the over invested positions while the cap increases, spending the added cap money elsewhere and bringing in either young or older vet FA talent to make sure the current over invested positions don't falter. You don't take huge cap hits on current contracts but you wait to make moves until the cap hits make sense. The Bills started to do this during this offseason and it's a good blueprint. Bottom line -- it's possible to make the playoffs this year with the wildcard as a ceiling but salary strategy and roster building should be the real focus

What are his job duties right now? Do you have any idea what he actually does? Or do you just hold a grudge over his years as GM and "owner" when Ralph couldn't handle things anymore?

President. And Managing Partner of the Bills

Yes he advises but keep your head in sand

Do you people realize we need to get permission to hire any guy currently under contract with another team even if it is as an assistant GM? No guarantee Carolina will even let anyone come over.

That is why you hire GM before HC. Teams can block front office promotions, not coordinator to HC.

McDermott has made quite an impression upon the Pegulas. Let's all hope he's the right guy to lead the franchise to the place where we all want it to be. No excuses with change at hand.

Agree. McD seems as ruthless and methodical as Bellicheat, maybe this is what we need.

Edited by Green Lightning

He was terrible. Another gift from Nix that set the franchise back years. When Whaley was hired everyone in NFL circles used the same line, "he's respected around the league." In the end that was code speak for we know nothing about him but made it look like they had insight when in actuality they had none.

Right now I think McD is influencing the Pegulas far more than Russ. He's running the show and it sounds like ownership has fully bought into him as the man in charge. I doubt Russ is good if to win any battles against him anytime soon.

The Pegula's will continue down this road of being fools, if they have given McD the power that some believe he has been given.

IMO it will not end well.

Do you people realize we need to get permission to hire any guy currently under contract with another team even if it is as an assistant GM? No guarantee Carolina will even let anyone come over.

That is why you hire GM before HC. Teams can block front office promotions, not coordinator to HC.

Teams cannot block for GM jobs, it was just posted. It's a quick moving thread so you may have missed it.

Teams

Cant block a GM

Hire either

Right now I think McD is influencing the Pegulas far more than Russ. He's running the show and it sounds like ownership has fully bought into him as the man in charge. I doubt Russ is good if to win any battles against him anytime soon.

This certainly seems to be the direction we are heading now isn't it? McDermott's rise to power will surely be at Brandon's expense.

I wish the Buffalo media would ask the pegulas why Russ Brandon has a job when he's been the common denominator. Really hammer at him

Because he puts asses in seats...and he's phenomenal at it.

It's hard for me to celebrate anyone getting fired...but W's and L's are the scorecard and Doug did not deliver.

He didn't hire Marrone or Rex yet gave them everything they wanted.

Those 2 failed DW not the other way around.

Yep, that's why the Washington franshise was looking at Mayock. I still don't believe they have a GM.

Who's the poster that said firing Whaley after the draft would be "unprecedented?" :lol:

Me and I was completely wrong about this happening. It is unprecedented the way it went down, they didn't even go through the "mutual parting of ways" routine like all the others. I already admitted I was wrong last night when it became easy to connect the dots. 4 players we drafted were on Carolina's official visits and not on ours. Obviously McDermott took over at some point in the past couple months and he was using Carolina's scouting for our draft.

President. And Managing Partner of the Bills

Yes he advises but keep your head in sand

It would be easier to just say you have no idea what he does now. I know what his titles are. Thisnguy is not running things anymore. Time to get over all the years where he was