GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i kinda think the reverse; i think he is finally getting it. The sabers he cleared house and he is doing what he should have done the first time around - hire GM...GM hire coach...Coach and GM assemble team

For the Bills...this team hired Coach McD to be the czar of this team ala Pats/seahawks/Chiefs. The next GM you bet will be partly chosen by mcdermot

Nope. He has Russ Brandon advising him.

Russ nows best way to sell hope is fire people. It gets you a couple years.

Funny how the KC GM had only discussions with Whaley. Complete guesswork on this being the "coach" draft. Whaley and the scouts had done the work and the reasearch. Very disturbing overall

Lol... They let Whaley make the phone calls.. don't be so dense.

It was time for Whaley to go...in January.

I like McDermott but it's usually the GM that picks the coach. Last I remember is Rex and Chizik in NY and that was a disaster. Of course, Chizik hated Rex.

Bringing in Beane from Carolina will ensure the GM and coach get along which is important. However, from my understanding Beane is more of a numbers guy. He will need a strong scout team and asst. GM. If that happens, doesn't sound too shabby.

I'd think the opposite. While I completely agree about great FA pick ups over the years, that was on the scouts finding these "gems". And agree Whaley made the final decision to sign them. Just as on the college side of things, the scouts likely gave him options to choose from, and while the players they picked weren't maybe bad choices, his lack of patience made him give up too much to often to get them. So I think he needed to go more than the scouts. And this draft while he was technically in charge, he likely was laying out the options for McDermott to choose from and wasn't making the final choice.

All things considered I was in favor of keeping him, but don't have a problem with letting him go.

As to your notion of we're not getting anyone better than Whaley at picking a QB, there is no one better out there at picking QB's If you think there's someone out there who really can find good QB's I have a bridge to sell you, it's about 80% being at the right place at the right time. So are you saying Bill B is better or they should hire his assistant as they know how to pick QB's. How did Matt Cassel work out once he left NE? Jimmy Grap... Lets see how he really looks if he's away from Belichick as I believe he makes them all look great.

I find it both rather odd, and rather stupid, to be even thinking about canning Whaley. The pro-personnel side of things, has been exceptional, and without a doubt, he set it all up.

Now, it may be time for some scouts to move on, but I'm not convinced that that should be the case either. For better or worse, I think Whaley has pretty much gone out on a limb, to draft the types of players successive HCs wanted, and he has seemed to be able to find guys who 'fit' what they were after.

Some of the issues with that, have been more injury related, rather than the ability of the players, some of which are yet to be determined.

It seems to me, that as usual in any forum I've been to that is about the Bills, Whaley is deemed a failure, largely on the back of his inability to find a franchise QB. He's not alone in that, as a plethora of other NFL teams can attest.

I'm extremely uncomfortable with giving a new HC, the degree of power that it appears, atm, he is going to have, especially when he has proven nothing as a HC.

The notion that the Assistant GM of the Panthers is going to become our new GM, is also disturbing, in that I neither know anything about him, and his association with the Panthers, means that the only real pick at QB that they would have made in his time there, (assuming he was there then) was Jimmy Clausen. Cam was such an obvious pick, it's just not true, and I'm totally discounting that. So we aren't getting someone who is demonstrably better than Whaley, at the critical 'position', yet we are going to potentially blow up all the scouting side of things, just because our new HC wants to have his own guys there.

My view of this draft is that we pretty much drafted for need, and got lucky in that need and value coincided with our first two picks, and with the Peterman pick. Is this the way we will be going from now? Need over ability?

Now, while I'm not a subscriber to the 'BPA' nonsense spouted regularly by teams, I do believe that you shouldn't be passing up on exceptional talent just to fill a need, which I feel is the way we are heading.

Fwiw, I don't have a problem with removing guys from the board due to character issues. These days, it just comes back to bite you on the ass, regularly, with suspensions etc. Anything that prevents a guy from suiting up Sundays, is a red flag, be it injury or suspension.

What I find most hilarious is the few posters who are super into the Buffalo Bills (and extremely negative about them in general) but seem to be so blind sided by this like they just can't believe it...

Honestly, how could you not see this coming? Did you see the pictures from the draft room? They said it all. McD next to Peg... Whaley answering the phones.

Whaley is a good personnel man. I hope we don't see a Gilmore situation where many people view him as mediocre but a certain team scoops him up.

i will be very disappointed if Monos goes too