GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that once again all the reports were true.

These organizations all deny them, but at the end of the day Rex gets fired, Whaley gets fired, the Sabres FO is being flipped on they are going on their 4th Coach already of the Pegula era.

All the talk of disfuction has been 100% spot on.

I'm not criticizing the firing of Whaley---I'm applauding the owner. The firing of Whaley isn't an act of desperation, far from it. It is a decisive act to bring order and coherency to an amorphous and stagnating organization. The Whaley approach was a patchwork approach to building a roster. There was no long term coherent strategy. Decisions were made on a day to day survival mode mentality.

I'm far from declaring McDermott as the answer to this flagging franchise. What I can say about him is that he has a blueprint and a vision for the direction he wants to go. You can agree with it or not but there is at least a thought process to what he is doing.

The past generation, this organization has been a dismal failure. It had no identity other than being mediocre and boring. The goal was simply to be respectable with no belief that it could be a serious challenging team. Personnel decisions were made on an ad hoc basis with the mind-set to fill holes as they popped up. While teams such as the Pats plan years in advance for replacing players when their expiring contracts were imminent the Bills would scramble to respond as if it was a surprise.

The Pegulas have made some big mistakes and it is fair to criticize them. On the other hand they are learning as they gain experience as owners and are not afraid to act when it is called for.

These organizations all deny them, but at the end of the day Rex gets fired, Whaley gets fired, the Sabres FO is being flipped on they are going on their 4th Coach already of the Pegula era.

But since La Canfora reported it no one wanted to believe it because hes always wrong even when hes right

Standard protocol is to fire your GM at the end of the season, hire a new one, and then fire the scouts at the end of the draft. Doing it this way burdens your GM with a coach he didn't hire, and draft picks he didn't make.

In 3 or 4 years, when we are trying to figure out what happened, people will point to this as "Whaleys draft", and this upcoming season will be "un-do-ing whaleys mess" and doesnt count, etc.

This team is a master at putting accountibility into a gray area, and blending many years together in a lineage of failure. What they need is a clean and decisive break, where "yesterday" and "tomorrow" are clearly delineated.

Joe BannerVerified account @JoeBanner13

name to watch in Buffalo is Brett Veach. Worked with Sean in Philly & is highly respected by Andy Reid & all the Philly people. In KC now

Matt MillerVerified account @nfldraftscout 4m4 minutes ago

Matt Miller Retweeted Joe Banner

100% agree. That scouting staff in KC is loaded with talent. Veach will be a GM soon.

Thanks for wasting all of our time Doug, good riddance to a terrible gm.

This is what you get when you let Russ Brandon and Ralph decide on GM. Back in 2010 they "scanned a list of names" and settled on two in house candidates: Nix and John Guy.

They looked down the hall for a GM.

And Nix set up his succession plan by hiring Whaley.

I'm not criticizing the firing of Whaley---I'm applauding the owner. The firing of Whaley isn't an act of desperation, far from it. It is a decisive act to bring order and coherency to an amorphous and stagnating organization. The Whaley approach was a patchwork approach to building a roster. There was no long term coherent strategy. Decisions were made on a day to day survival mode mentality.

I'm far from declaring McDermott as the answer to this flagging franchise. What I can say about him is that he has a blueprint and a vision for the direction he wants to go. You can agree with it or not but there is at least a thought process to what he is doing.

The past generation, this organization has been a dismal failure. It had no identity other than being mediocre and boring. The goal was simply to be respectable with no belief that it could be a serious challenging team. Personnel decisions were made on an ad hoc basis with the mind-set to fill holes as they popped up. While teams such as the Pats plan years in advance for replacing players when their expiring contracts were imminent the Bills would scramble to respond as if it was a surprise.

The Pegulas have made some big mistakes and it is fair to criticize them. On the other hand they are learning as they gain experience as owners and are not afraid to act when it is called for.

I don't believe this at all. The biggest failure has been to identify and acquire a QB who can perform at the level necessary to propel the team beyond mediocrity.

Eric Galko (@OptimumScouting)

4/30/17, 6:52 AM

BUF interest in Trubisky stemmed from Whaley.

Once McDermott became clear leading voice, he advocated for Tyrod Taylor as the team's QB.

Really interesting. I thought whaley was gone all along so his firing is no surprise to me; I also thought the battle over QB was at the root of the dispute. That appears to be the case. I'm a Taylor supporter, so I'm glad McDermott won. But obviously this is a huge season for TT. With Sammy in effectively a contract year, things are lined up for him pretty well.

The people that rip any negative reporting and believe that the Head Coach, GM', and Owners are always telling you the complete and total truth live in a land of unicorns and rainbows.

I don't believe this at all. The biggest failure has been to identify and acquire a QB who can perform at the level necessary to propel the team beyond mediocrity.

Taylor has been better than mediocre the last two seasons. Having a 26th and 24th ranked defense in DVOA is what killed them.

1. This is something NE would do and not even blink twice about

2. Just because the pick players that didn't visit doesn't mean they got leaked info

3. It's possible Coach did his homework last year with some of these players and kept his notes

Edited by Yav