Anyone nervous about our new defensive scheme (Pats)

Virgil

The only defenses that seems to slow down the pats are with physical man coverage and front 4 pressure.

Our defense is mainly going to be cover 3 with zone. It's a pressure based, let them beat you in spots kind of defense.

Doesn't that fall right into the Patriots hands. They want the short, quick routes. They want to find space. They want to run free off the line.

I know the Pats tear up pretty much all defenses, but I feel like we are just starting with a losing plan against a team that needs to be overcome to get us over the hump.

Yes, we can adjust our defense in the moment and it's only one team. I get it. The sky isn't falling. This is just a conversation that I'm surprised hasn't been talked about much yet.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only defenses that seems to slow down the pats are with physical man coverage and front 4 pressure.

Our defense is mainly going to be cover 3 with zone. It's a pressure based, let them beat you in spots kind of defense.

Doesn't that fall right into the Patriots hands. They want the short, quick routes. They want to find space. They want to run free off the line.

I know the Pats tear up pretty much all defenses, but I feel like we are just starting with a losing plan against a team that needs to be overcome to get us over the hump.

Yes, we can adjust our defense in the moment and it's only one team. I get it. The sky isn't falling. This is just a conversation that I'm surprised hasn't been talked about much yet.

The patriots are yearly favorites gor the superbowl. You expect s first year hc, with a brand new defensive scheme, with brand new players, to coming and stop the patriots twice the first year? Look I would be happy for that just as snyone would be, but first let him get the team through otas, tc, finsl roster, preseason, along with tweaking the scheme before we worry about anyone let alone the Super Boel odds on favs.

I expect early success, yes.

The Pats have very little business intelligence on McDermott at this point and that's their bread and butter. If you want to know just how good they are at it, the second half of the last Super Bowl tells you.

They had years of experience playing Rex Ryan. Rex never changed his scheme so it wasn't too hard to figure out. McDermott will be more of a challenge, at least at the outset.

I get your concern. I am guessing from what he has done in the past, he will design a defense to bend but not break and look to attack certain matchups with over under coverage hoping to create turnovers. There is no stopping the Pats, but making a turn over and then doing our best to not just keep the ball away from them with our run offense, but make sure we punch the ball in the end zone when we get the opportunity will be the winning formula. Reeally, that will be the formula for all teams though!

I am looking forward to see how McD coaches up this team and his in game adjustments. That will be key to having success moving forward and competing with elite teams in the league. Players give you a chance to win, but coaching can make the difference in the win and loss column in the end.

Edited by ajmac

No, I'm not nervous. I am actually hopeful, more than anything.

We've seen Brady pick apart the Bills D on many occasions. Brady put up what, like 5 or 600 passing yards(?) in a single game on Rex Ryan's defensive scheme. I figure it can't get all that much worse than that, right...? (knock on wood).

Hopefully McDermott will be able to do better, even if it doesn't happen immediately. I know he will put everything he has into getting it figured out, and I can't ask for much more than that at this point. I also think/hope that he's the type of coach who will learn from his mistakes and adjust. So I'm willing to give him some time to get it figured out.

I'm concerned because Brady does kill zones but hopefully we can find a way to beat them. It's not like any other defense has worked against him either.

This is why I think we go front four because we have to get pressure up front or otherwise we are in for a long season regardless of philosophy.

No more nervous than with any of the other 15 or so different schemes that they've tried and failed with vs Pats

They need to worry about scoring more points instead

This. The only way to beat Brady is to get a lead and keep the ball out of his hands. Long drives that end in points, with a strong D that makes key stops. Brady is still gonna get his 270 and 2 TD's no matter what.

But bottom line is that it's too much to expect the Bills to be responsible for 2 of the 2-3 losses they have all year. We just have to go 10-4 against the rest of the the schedule to get to the dance. Period.

Edited by FireChan

No more nervous than with any of the other 15 or so different schemes that they've tried and failed with vs Pats

They need to worry about scoring more points instead

pretty much this. do their best to slow the pats down, maybe get lucky on a dropped pass or two, keep the pressure up on the other side of the ball, long drives, and try to take the game into the 4th quarter. I think McD is going to play generally conservative ball but use the talent we have, and like someone else said, cant make any worse a show than sexy rexy did against the pats

His defense didn't stop much of anyone last year because he didn't have all pros at all 3 levels anymore, only 2.

I believe McDermott is 1-0 vs the Pats as a D coordinator, so he obviously has Brady and Belichick's numbers...

Did Cam Newton come with the hire?

Half the fanbase can tell us the D that ruins the Pats easypeasy. I'm in the other half that believes they will adjust to whatever the other team is using, usually with an audible.

I'm concerned because Brady does kill zones but hopefully we can find a way to beat them. It's not like any other defense has worked against him either.

This is why I think we go front four because we have to get pressure up front or otherwise we are in for a long season regardless of philosophy.

Our defense is we line up on the line of scrimmage and wipe out every Patriot receiver.

I think that Virgil's concerns are warranted. Maybe it won't come into play too much this year but if the Bills start to close the gap or are competing for a WC spot it may be a factor. We probably need to split with the Pats to have a shot at a WC berth. This isn't necessarily about the Bills surpassing the Pats but more about trying to steal a game from them.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Not worried. Front line will bring enough pressure to slow down (but not stop) Brady & Co. That's all you can ask from them. Coverage should hold up well enough with the heat coming from up front.

I wouldn't go into worry mode this early. Let's see what we're working with after 8 games first.

It's a concern, but remember that just because it's a cover-3 zone (or any other kind of zone) doesn't mean that it's off-coverage all the time.

In fact, C-3 and other zone schemes often require their corners to play press/trail technique against shiftier guys.

My guess is that--against teams like NE, the plan for McDermott's D will be to bump as much as possible in the short zones to disrupt timing and generate pressure up the middle with Dareus/Kyle/Shaq (who will probably play a decent amount of 3/4i those games).

I was more concerned about what Rex would change on our defensive scheme. As it turned out, my concerns were valid.

With that said, I feel more optimistic this year.