anybody not on board drafting QB at 10 is a *****

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. He also said in that article that they should exercise the option, which turned out to be very wrong.

He says they can win with Tyrod. He doesn't say they can win a championship with him. I think most of us think he's right that we can win with Tyrod. My personal opinion is that we're not going to see him make the huge steps up in his seventh year or later that he would need to make to make the Bills able to contend for a title. IMHO that's why they re-negotiated with him rather than exercising the option.

But if you're saying that they don't need to pick a QB at #10 if they don't think the right guy is there, I agree with you 100%.

My point exactly. Gil he is a smart personnel guy - not an idiot at talent evaluation by any stretch of the imagination. And yet he doesn't think drafting a QB this year is a huge priority.

But who knows? The OP may be turn out to be right about drafting Mahomes at #10. Drafted QBs surprise us all the time - some do better in the NFL than expected, many do worse.

The point is, though, that a lot of smart people - from Bills fans to professional scouts - think the Bills would be better served with a different choice at #10 than QB.

I personally think the Bills should draft a QB every other year until they get the right guy. But maybe not this year because...

* McD and Dennison should spend the year evaluating TT and Cardale and seeing what they can get out of them;

* It's not a great QB class;

* We've lost a lot of players and have a lot of holes to fill.

Let's say QB at 10 ends up being EJ, and we pass on Hooker who slides to 10 and presedes to be Ed Reed with a 10 hall of fame career. Who is the idiot now? Closed minded dogmatics are idiots

Edited by Pete

Gil Brandt - who had 20 consecutive winning seasons and two Super Bowl victories as a chief scout and VP/Personnel - is "a idiot" also.

He says, "Whether the team agrees with me is another matter, of course, but I happen to think the Bills already have their quarterback."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776013/article/ideas-for-the-qbneedy-trubisky-to-browns-romo-to-Texans

:lol:

A constructive reply for a teachable moment.

Use a before words that start with a consonant sound and an before words that start with a vowel sound. Other letters can also be pronounced either way. Just remember it is the sound that governs whether you use a or an, not the actual first letter of the word.

Source: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/a-versus-an

Example: Correcting someone's grammar is considered a dick move, with the exception that the recipient just insulted you, called you an idiot.

---------------

Mahome and Watson are not pick 10 material. pick 25+, yes. We have Taylor, so we're not in the desperate situation of drafting someone higher than they are worth.

Edited by boater

This will be a very interesting draft to say the least.

So many blue chip players available in the 1st rd or a QB lottery ticket

Chad with the Bills late 5th rd is a safer pick for me jmo

Edited by ALF

we need to not only draft Mahomes but also should draft Chad Kelly in the 5th round. Nothing else matters unless you have a QB. You don't get a Franchise QB unless you draft one. There is no trading for one or getting one through free agency. Look would you trade all the bills draft picks the next 2 years for Aaron Rogers of course you would. Well guess what Green would not make that trade. You can get all the other positions in the draft and through free agency or CFL or Arena football league or Australian Rules football or College Free agents that don't get drafted. You can get any position but you can't get the franchise QB. So just stop the silliness that we should draft a reciever or corner with the 10th pick like it will matter. If you want to keep pounding salt and your head up against rocks for 10 more years with no playoffs then let's just keep drafting Running Backs and DB's and keep being losers. I'm out, I said my piece. Just look at the teams that make the playoffs every year. Look at who there Quaterback are, do I need to make a list for you. This is not rocket science it's simple. We need to keep drafting QB's until we find our franchise QB end of story nothing else matters. I could give 2 ***** who else the Bills draft.

Put down the bottle buddy... it'll all be okay.

I think we can fully expect the Bills to draft a QB this year. However, I don't think they will select a QB at #10 overall.

I could see a no. of scenarios play out depending upon who is drafted in front of them in R1.

If there is a player that they believe is a true star, a difference-maker, a special talent, then they will likely draft that player at #10 overall. If not, I think they will seek to trade down, but they're only going to trade down if they can get really good value.

I think it may work out that they select the BPA at #10 and then trade back into the latter part of R1 to select a QB. I happen to like QB P. Mahomes and I think he may still be available at that point.

I think the Bills know that they need to find a good young QB to develop behind Taylor and they will seek to draft one without giving up the farm.

sign me and my terminal degree up as a *****. I mean, overpaying for bad products is always a good idea, signed JP Losman and EJ Manual. This is the worst argument ever made about drafting a QB, that you have to take one with a first round pick in any year regardless of the quality of the players. Just horrible. In a supply (quality starting quarterbacks) and demand (about 22 less than needed) imbalance, prices go up but quality does not. You can overpay for all the garbage you want, it's still garbage. Your current need does not guarantee increased supply, and that is the problem with the argument, which is built on one major flawed assumption, that it's just a matter of picking a player high enough and that draft slot alone is the key predictor of success. Just writing that annoys me to no end.

As fans, we should be rooting for the Bills front office to make consistently wise decisions. In the draft. In free agency. In hiring and firing.

I don't want our GM just spinning the lottery wheel, desperately hoping to land a quarterback. If that is all Doug Whaley and our scouting staff is good for, then it's time for them to hit the road. They are no better than ESPN's talking heads or a guy sitting on his couch.

Football is a team sport. It takes a team of 52 guys to win. Even though QB is clearly the most important piece, it's not enough all by itself.

Maybe the Bills could draft 2 quarterbacks every year, and finally land their franchise guy. But then the team around them would be crap and his talent would go to waste.

I'm still holding out hope that Whaley and the scouting staff are the answer, and they can properly identify us a solid franchise QB (if not in this draft, then next year). But so far, the results aren't promising. Obviously the EJ Manuel pick was a bust. Then the following year, we missed out on Derek Carr (not to mention Teddy Bridgewater and Jimmy Garoppolo). Last year, we waited until the 4th Round and missed on Dak Prescott. Another busted draft pick or another missed opportunity, and I will no longer hold hope that the Bills front office knows how to scout college quarterbacks.

we need to not only draft Mahomes but also should draft Chad Kelly in the 5th round. Nothing else matters unless you have a QB. You don't get a Franchise QB unless you draft one. There is no trading for one or getting one through free agency. Look would you trade all the bills draft picks the next 2 years for Aaron Rogers of course you would. Well guess what Green would not make that trade. You can get all the other positions in the draft and through free agency or CFL or Arena football league or Australian Rules football or College Free agents that don't get drafted. You can get any position but you can't get the franchise QB. So just stop the silliness that we should draft a reciever or corner with the 10th pick like it will matter. If you want to keep pounding salt and your head up against rocks for 10 more years with no playoffs then let's just keep drafting Running Backs and DB's and keep being losers. I'm out, I said my piece. Just look at the teams that make the playoffs every year. Look at who there Quaterback are, do I need to make a list for you. This is not rocket science it's simple. We need to keep drafting QB's until we find our franchise QB end of story nothing else matters. I could give 2 ***** who else the Bills draft.

Steve young Brett favre drew Brees....All from trades

:lol:

Gil Brandt knows a thousand times more about scouting college players than anyone on this board.

That doesn't make him right. Bill Walsh famously liked Trent Edwards. Nobody bats 1.000 - no matter how knowledgeable they are. Scouting is a notoriously inexact science.

My only point was that some very smart people don't like Mahomes at #10. Disagreeing with the OP doesn't make someone an idiot despite the OP's claim.

And I agree with the philosophy of drafting the BPA, almost regardless of position. Otherwise you reach and don't get good value for your picks. There are a few future Pro Bowlers in this draft class. I want our scouts to find them - whatever position they may line up at.

I'd much rather draft a future Pro Bowl linebacker, let's say, then miss out on the Pro Bowler and draft another EJ or TE just because we were determined to prioritize the QB position.

Edited by hondo in seattle

As fans, we should be rooting for the Bills front office to make consistently wise decisions. In the draft. In free agency. In hiring and firing.

I don't want our GM just spinning the lottery wheel, desperately hoping to land a quarterback. If that is all Doug Whaley and our scouting staff is good for, then it's time for them to hit the road. They are no better than ESPN's talking heads or a guy sitting on his couch.

Football is a team sport. It takes a team of 52 guys to win. Even though QB is clearly the most important piece, it's not enough all by itself.

Maybe the Bills could draft 2 quarterbacks every year, and finally land their franchise guy. But then the team around them would be crap and his talent would go to waste.

I'm still holding out hope that Whaley and the scouting staff are the answer, and they can properly identify us a solid franchise QB (if not in this draft, then next year). But so far, the results aren't promising. Obviously the EJ Manuel pick was a bust. Then the following year, we missed out on Derek Carr (not to mention Teddy Bridgewater and Jimmy Garoppolo). Last year, we waited until the 4th Round and missed on Dak Prescott. Another busted draft pick or another missed opportunity, and I will no longer hold hope that the Bills front office knows how to scout college quarterbacks.

There's no such thing as a calculated high percentage way to land a QB. On a side note; look up the word desperate and it's antonyms - damn right I want them acting desperate to land a QB.

A QB at pick # 10??? That's pretty interesting, considering TT just took an enormous pay cut to stay with the Bills... Plus, if you look at the QB's out there in this years draft, not one of them is a Day 1 Starter, unless you're the Browns... We need to fill holes (CB-maybe 2, WR, TE, LB) Our best bet is to trade back the number 10 pick and get more picks. We only have 6 picks this year... we don't have a 4th rounder or a 7th rounder.. but picking a QB at #10 may be one of the most idiotic things this franchise has ever done. WE ARE IN WIN NOW MODE

We should be able to have people excommunicated on this board. You say something ridiculous and your privileges get taken away. We kind of play the role of judge, jury and executioner. That would be fun.

BBMB experimented with a like/dislike system for posters. It got out of hand FAST.

BBMB experimented with a like/dislike system for posters. It got out of hand FAST.

Huh, I would never have associated BBMB with anything getting out of hand fast. Did it's failure have anything to do with 50 redundant like/dislike systems popping up within minutes of the initial system, each one striving to be THE system? I mean, no one can be expected to stand in line behind 10 - 20 previous likes/dislikes, can they?

A QB at pick # 10??? That's pretty interesting, considering TT just took an enormous pay cut to stay with the Bills... Plus, if you look at the QB's out there in this years draft, not one of them is a Day 1 Starter, unless you're the Browns... We need to fill holes (CB-maybe 2, WR, TE, LB) Our best bet is to trade back the number 10 pick and get more picks. We only have 6 picks this year... we don't have a 4th rounder or a 7th rounder.. but picking a QB at #10 may be one of the most idiotic things this franchise has ever done. WE ARE IN WIN NOW MODE

If we are in a WIN NOW MODE as you so subtly put it, there is likely more disappointment. Bad franchises or good ones with aging franchise qbs are win now mode. Having just gotten TT on a nice, revised bridge qb contract, the intelligent thing to do would be to acquire the qb who needs a year or two of development. The point of a bridge qb is it gives you time to develop a franchise qb without throwing him to the wolves and ruining him before he has a chance to grow.

And we're not likely to WIN NOW, though we certainly will probably win enough that one is excluded from a chance at Darnold, who is probably the qb from the 2018 draft still apt to be coveted after another collegiate year and much more scrutiny. Further, teams with elite qbs are almost always relevant. Teams that defer finding one because they have to fill holes often spend decades in the wilderness. Indeed, if one looks at the relative lack of attention to qb by the Bills, it is possible that tactic is the most consistent ingredient in their "idiocy."

Otherwise, fine post.

Edited by Dr. Who

Gil Brandt - who had 20 consecutive winning seasons and two Super Bowl victories as a chief scout and VP/Personnel - is "a idiot" also.

He says, "Whether the team agrees with me is another matter, of course, but I happen to think the Bills already have their quarterback."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776013/article/ideas-for-the-qbneedy-trubisky-to-browns-romo-to-texans

Brandt is one of the only talent evaluators worth heeding. He might be the best. That is, other than the 100s of evaluators posting around here.