Bills a Trap Game for Denver?

Casey D

I know the term "trap game" is misused and overused, but does not the Bills game constitute a classic trap game for Denver. To be precise, Denver had a huge divisional matchup against KC last night and in Week 15 they have another huge divisional game against San Diego. Could they overlook the Bills-- or have a bit of an emotional letdown-- that gives the Bills a bit more of an opportunity than they might otherwise have? Just a thought.

No. Every game is precious to every team still in the playoff hunt this time of year. Denver only has a one game lead in their division. They have a ton of veterans, an experienced head coach and a 15+ year hall of fame QB. You better believe that they will be laser focused on destroying us come Sunday.

Why, because they are not human?

No, because statistics disprove that the "trap game" theory has any validity. There is no discernible difference in win % against a team you're "supposed" to beat when that game is sandwiched between two "critical" games.

I'd go so far as to say Denver needs this game as much as we do.

The reason: Because we're just looking to make the playoffs, while Denver is looking to make the Super Bowl. They need home field advantage for that.

Its peyton manning in a playoff race in december. i dont think hes taking a 7-5 AFC opponent with a great defensive line lightly.

Except that a kind of one-sided trap (between Oakland and Miami) pretty clearly happened in November when the Broncos blew one in STL. Remember, we're the Rams of the AFC! The kind of team that on paper creates some matchup problems for the Broncos. If only this game were in Buffalo. Or even Detroit ...

Don't make me laugh, the Bills are handfull for the Broncos, they could easily lose Peyton Manning to an injury with Buffalos vicious pass rush.

The Bills are still a contender for the playoffs..........this will be a bloodbath game

The Broncos will NOT over look the Bills.............but you made me laugh anyway....thanks. :lol:

Edited by HOUSE

I want to agree, but Manning is known for his preparation more than just about any QB in the NFL. He'll know how good we are and will get rid of that damn ball so fast it will make your head spin. That's the problem as we want an opponent to overlook us.

The other problem is their defense has improved dramatically since last year. I don't see how we keep up with them. I have high hopes but that's it.

Denver will be ready for the Bills. Defense will keep it close but Denver will pull away in the 4th. Orton's arm is shot. Accuracy problems have been evident since the Bye week. The offense will be luck to put up 17 points in this one. Denver 35 Bills 17

I know the term "trap game" is misused and overused, but does not the Bills game constitute a classic trap game for Denver. To be precise, Denver had a huge divisional matchup against KC last night and in Week 15 they have another huge divisional game against San Diego. Could they overlook the Bills-- or have a bit of an emotional letdown-- that gives the Bills a bit more of an opportunity than they might otherwise have? Just a thought.

But you'll use it anyway......I remember all the reasons everyone gave when the Chargers came to Buffalo early in the season...travel, Buffalo weather, tough game week before....They came in and crushed us. Broncos will not overlook the Bills.

Its peyton manning in a playoff race in december. i dont think hes taking a 7-5 AFC opponent with a great defensive line lightly.

^

This.

And I'm not sure how I feel about this. Yes, to the OP's question, those loveable losers from Buffalo come into a mile high arena between 2 huge divisional and conference teams. Home Field alone should be enough to overcome any 'looking ahead' -and it very well may..

But if we have ANY recent cred, it's that we maul QB's routinely without blitzing and are stout against the run.

We'll need every phycological advantage we can steal and at least one 'Special Play' -and probably a couple..

It's just GREAT to this old fart that we're talking about how -in any magical way our winning team in December can keep the train running -against the stiffest of obstacles!

Go BILLS!

Fellas, we're not those Bills anymore…we're a dangerous opponent to a Denver in Dec. Peyton only sh-ts the bed on the grand stage and at Foxboro….everything else, he's $. Expect him to show up ready.

We cannot go near a shootout. What we have to do is hit them…hit them hard….hit them often. The Cle receivers started to hear footsteps in the 2nd half….thats what we need…intimidation is our only equalizer. Our DL/LB's and Safeties are up to the challenge.

They own a ridiculous HFA in the 2nd half - it's LOUD there and opponents get gassed from the altitude. We have to limit the 3 and outs, sustain our drives, keep our DL fresh and keep Peyton off the field.

I hope its a big day for Freddie, Boobie and the DL! 23-20 is the highest we can go and win….any more Den points and were F'd.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

^

This.

And I'm not sure how I feel about this. Yes, to the OP's question, those loveable losers from Buffalo come into a mile high arena between 2 huge divisional and conference teams. Home Field alone should be enough to overcome any 'looking ahead' -and it very well may..

But if we have ANY recent cred, it's that we maul QB's routinely without blitzing and are stout against the run.

We'll need every phycological advantage we can steal and at least one 'Special Play' -and probably a couple..

It's just GREAT to this old fart that we're talking about how -in any magical way our winning team in December can keep the train running -against the stiffest of obstacles!

Go BILLS!

We normally are in a similar spot in December - win out and your in - it's just not normally with a 7-5 record. Last year wins in Atlanta and Tampa to kick off the month would've made NE a play in game, and likewise the at louis/Seattle games the year before if I recall.

We need to take 3 out of 4 realistically to have a chance this year too.

Orton has had this game circled for months! It's his chance to go back home and prove to Denver they chose the wrong QB over him! Manning is in for a shitstorm of Orton bombs! Trap game? Let's stop making excuses for Denver when they get rolled by Gray!

Seriously... with our offensive line, does anyone else think Ware and Miller may kill Orton before the second quarter?

I want the Bills to win as much as anyone here, but I won't make up ridiculous reasons why we might win other than playing better then Denver. That's pretty much how you win, almost every time.

You mean travel, weather, fans.......do not matter? I thought these things were more important than just playing better.

It's a real testament to how beaten down we are as Bills fans to have to resort to hoping the other team forgets to pay attention to us in order to win a game. At what point do we start assuming that the Bills can win a game simply because they played better than the other team? And to answer the original question, a Peyton Manning-led team doesn't typically have trap games. He may simply have an off-day, but it won't be due to lack of preparation or focus.

I don't think so, but the sad part is if we do pull out a victory that is what people will say.

If we can get pressure on Peyton and make him move around we can win this game.

Orton has had this game circled for months! It's his chance to go back home and prove to Denver they chose the wrong QB over him! Manning is in for a shitstorm of Orton bombs! Trap game? Let's stop making excuses for Denver when they get rolled by Gray!

Seriously... with our offensive line, does anyone else think Ware and Miller may kill Orton before the second quarter?

say again??

Manning is in for a shitstorm of Orton bombs

They play on the O and never face each other.....

Trap games don't exist per an exhaustive study...teams win and lose in "trap games" at the same rate they normally do

OK, I believe that. But teams do get mentally tired after expending energy-- that's why all athletes and teams have ups and downs, like pitchers in baseball. I guess what I was really trying to say is that Denver expended lots of mental energy against KC last week (and quite a bit against Miami the week before), and will definitely have to rev up for SD next week. Denver , therefore, has legitimate reasons not to be at their best this Sunday, notwithstanding their professionalism, dedication, skill etc. Like New England was against KC, or Denver against St. Louis (and to some extent new england where they were God awful)-- teams have off days. I realize I may be grasping at straws, but Buffalo is pretty good, and if Denver has an "off" day, that would help a bunch and give us a better chance of winning. That's all I was suggesting.

Denver will be ready for the Bills. Defense will keep it close but Denver will pull away in the 4th. Orton's arm is shot. Accuracy problems have been evident since the Bye week. The offense will be luck to put up 17 points in this one. Denver 35 Bills 17

I think if we put up 25 points we can win. So we need at least two TDs.

Great, so we will lose by 14 and not 30.

I hope it's below zero there. Manning is awful in the cold.

It's funny you say this. I was thinking exactly this. He was use to playing in a Dome in Indy. He can play when its cold, but when it is frigged out, he does not play well.

BigPappy