Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people need help. Yes, he conjured up an interview with the Browns because of Dreisbach. Keep in mind, the Browns couldn't ask him without the Bills permission and it would have leaked when they asked just like it did now.

He is getting one interview from the teams looking for a head coach. One interview...from the Browns.

Of course he takes the interview. Turning down an interview would look bad that you wouldn't even talk to a team. Taking the interview puts his name in the headlines. He wants to be a head coach someday. Maybe that is day is soon with the Browns, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

You people need help. Yes, he conjured up an interview with the Browns because of Dreisbach. Keep in mind, the Browns couldn't ask him without the Bills permission and it would have leaked when they asked just like it did now.

He is getting one interview from the teams looking for a head coach. One interview...from the Browns.

Of course he takes the interview. Turning down an interview would look bad that you wouldn't even talk to a team. Taking the interview puts his name in the headlines. He wants to be a head coach someday. Maybe that is day is soon with the Browns, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Who do you think will get the job instead?

No worries. Pettine is far too intelligent to go to such a toxic situation as in Cleveland.

He would be far too dumb to NOT take the promotion and increase in pay. If in the chance he gets fired, he will 100% get the same/similar type job he currently has at the very least with another team.

It is a win win situation for Pettine.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

He would be far too dumb to NOT take the promotion and increase in pay. If in the chance he gets fired, he will 100% get the same job he currently has at the very least with another team.

It is a win win situation for Pettine.

I simply couldn't disagree more. Unless he's confident he can be the centerpiece in a successful browns organization he'd be much better off waiting til he found a fit he felt good about. You only get so many shots- he has no rush to burn what might be his only chance as an nfl head coach at this juncture of his career unless he's confident in the fit.

Exactly.... this is not helping. We want them to NOT be excited about him. Sheesh. Come on Bills fans on Twitter... ever hear of "under the radar"?

#thatdenverOCmademanninglookgreat

It's not like buffalo is a paradise. We go through more coaches and GMs than anyone, and have an owner that is 97 yrs old.

Yea but as a DC that dysfunction effects his reputation less than a head coach

I simply couldn't disagree more. Unless he's confident he can be the centerpiece in a successful browns organization he'd be much better off waiting til he found a fit he felt good about. You only get so many shots- he has no rush to burn what might be his only chance as an nfl head coach at this juncture of his career unless he's confident in the fit.

The Browns defense is not a downgrade from the Bills. It's a good fit for him and I don't think it will be a downright failure because their defense should remain great. The Browns are making progressive personnel moves (Richardson for example) and firing a headcoach after a year. I think these are good signs for this franchise.

It will be interesting how they draft this year and if hired the offensive minds he surrounds himself with because we can all agree they will have the expertise in that area.

It's not like buffalo is a paradise. We go through more coaches and GMs than anyone, and have an owner that is 97 yrs old.

Except, Cleveland

One reason they are likely interviewing him is he ran a 3-4 in NY and he worked with our 4-3 personnel to run a hybrid here. Cleveland spent a boatload on Paul Kruger and drafted Mingo in 1st rd last yr and have 3-4 personnel. I do not think they want to go back to a 4-3 after this, it is hard to keep changing systems. They need to build their personnel, not continue changing.

Except, Cleveland

One reason they are likely interviewing him is he ran a 3-4 in NY and he worked with our 4-3 personnel to run a hybrid here. Cleveland spent a boatload on Paul Kruger and drafted Mingo in 1st rd last yr and have 3-4 personnel. I do not think they want to go back to a 4-3 after this, it is hard to keep changing systems. They need to build their personnel, not continue changing.

Pettine has always ran a mix of 34, 43, 46 and even 335 in some instances.

Funny to see the browns' fans comments on the articles.

The optimists are hoping pettine is being looked at only as a DC.

You ain't kidding jr.

This thread was slow so I read some of their posts.

A lot of them are referring to him as the dude from pawn stars with pictures of rick and mike which was hilarious. Then the whoa is me since they were so desperate to look at a buffalo guy. Probably 7 out of 10 of them just assumed pettine was a joke. One guy said he was a solid choice and posted a great old article off of jets.com that told the story of mikes move up the ladder under his father and Rex.

To those who think that Mikey will turn down the job because its in Cleveland...are forgetting that he currently works in Buffalo. The fans that think Buffalo is a more stable situation are forgetting the man who owns the team.

Anyway, who in their right mind turns down a job that would pay millions to take a shot at the Brass gold ring, and is one of only 32 in the world. I would question his mental state if he turned down the job.

When you are offerred your first head coaching position, you take it. He'd be a fool not to even though it's Cleveland. You think Jay Gruden had second thoughts about accepting the Redskins HC position because he'd be working for Snyder? I strongly doubt it. Would you turn down a hefty pay raise at work because "it isn't the right fit?"

To those who think that Mikey will turn down the job because its in Cleveland...are forgetting that he currently works in Buffalo. The fans that think Buffalo is a more stable situation are forgetting the man who owns the team.

Anyway, who in their right mind turns down a job that would pay millions to take a shot at the Brass gold ring, and is one of only 32 in the world. I would question his mental state if he turned down the job.

Buffalo is stable for as long as Pettine wants to be dc in Buffalo. When Ralph passes I'm guessing the team is run by the estate in trust for at least three years. I'm guessing and I don't think Pettine is looking at being dc here three or more years from now so it is a good fit for him until he lands an ideal spot. Of course that would be anywhere!

:nana:

When you are offerred your first head coaching position, you take it. He'd be a fool not to even though it's Cleveland. You think Jay Gruden had second thoughts about accepting the Redskins HC position because he'd be working for Snyder? I strongly doubt it. Would you turn down a hefty pay raise at work because "it isn't the right fit?"

NoSaint does have a point. Many N.F.L. coordinators/college head coaches choose to stay at stable jobs rather than an N.F.L. job with a bad roster than could ruin their reputation if they lose over the course of two or three years. Josh McDaniels has been a head coach before, but he chose to stay with the Patriots as O.C. for good reason: he likely won't get fired.

I used to think like this but no more. Your success or failure as a Head Coach is highly dependent on the quality and support of the front office. Al Davis - toward the end of his life - had trouble getting quality coordinators to interview for his perpetually open head coach position, and rightly so. If I were Pettine, I might pass if offered.

This would be a mistake by Pettine. Cleveland is destined to fail. Their ownership is possibly the worst in the NFL. Who would want to take a job where they fired a guy after one year? Just a stupid, stupid place to go. Pettine will have other opportunities. Cleveland sucks.

Wade Phillips is available.

As much as I would love to have Wade, I assume that you are joking. :)

Was Marrone hired because he was/is a Brandon crony? I will leave this for others to decide. But crony or not, my guess is that Marrone is one of the top 5 lowest paid HCs in the NFL, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is THE lowest paid.

To take this a step further, I would be willing to wager that Wade was paid more in Houston as DC than the Bills paid Marrone this year.

So yeah.....I hope Pettine stays.

Edited by Bill from NYC

This would be a mistake by Pettine. Cleveland is destined to fail. Their ownership is possibly the worst in the NFL. Who would want to take a job where they fired a guy after one year? Just a stupid, stupid place to go. Pettine will have other opportunities. Cleveland sucks.

Except that, according to the team's own press release, they have the 2nd best cap situation in the League and also own 3 of the first 35 draft picks and 5 of the first 85 I believe the numbers were. That would give the next HC a big chance to remake the roster. I really, really hope he stays, but if he gets the offer, I strongly suspect he's gone....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/haslam-tells-fans-that-browns-will-wait-as-long-as-necessary-to-get-the-right-coach/

Edited by MattM

a mistake ?.... assuming the contract has basic safeguards...like I get paid if I get fired....it's a no brainer for Pettine.

a person in Pettine's position doesn't wait around for the "perfect" head coach job.......they only become available because the team underperformed. what's the down side ?....he easily gets a Defensive Coordinator gig to fall back on. ask Mike Zimmer the DC for Cincinnati how long he waited.....Pettine should strike when the irons hot.....take the job if offered.

this would be really bad for Buffalo....he is the ONLY coach on this staff that is elite.

Remind me what offer he's gotten? He hasn't even interviewed yet. That he got a single interview almost 3 weeks in is more surprising to me that he didn't get more attention and that's coming from someone that thought he had no shot at an offer of a job this year.

To add to this point more, Pettine's name is on a list of NFL HC candidates, supposedly. So, teams know about him. And yet he still only got 1 interview 3 weeks into the offseason. This to me seems like the Browns doing there job and seeing what else is out there. Could they hire him? Sure, if he impresses them enough.

I think you need to understand where this franchise(Cleveland) is. They just fired a guy after a year, fans are pissed. Even players are pissed. I know fans in Buffalo love Pettine, but take of the rose colored glasses for a second. Pettine has been under Rex's shadow for his entire NFL career, his first year out and he mildly improves a Buffalo defense. Do you really think the ownership of the Browns would be able to sell this to fans?

To add to this point more, Pettine's name is on a list of NFL HC candidates, supposedly. So, teams know about him. And yet he still only got 1 interview 3 weeks into the offseason. This to me seems like the Browns doing there job and seeing what else is out there. Could they hire him? Sure, if he impresses them enough.

I think you need to understand where this franchise(Cleveland) is. They just fired a guy after a year, fans are pissed. Even players are pissed. I know fans in Buffalo love Pettine, but take of the rose colored glasses for a second. Pettine has been under Rex's shadow for his entire NFL career, his first year out and he mildly improves a Buffalo defense. Do you really think the ownership of the Browns would be able to sell this to fans?

Based on the owner's release yesterday basically telling fans to "calm down", i'm not so sure he is that concerned with fan feedback through this process.

I think this clearly reflects how bad the Browns job is perceived to be. No reflection on Pettine, but in reality, he is way down the list of candidates at this point in his career. Everyone else is saying f-you to Haslam. I just hope that a good coordinator who wants to be a head coach doesn't fall into a trap. Nobody will win, including The Bills. He should just use it as interviewing experience!

I think this clearly reflects how bad the Browns job is perceived to be. No reflection on Pettine, but in reality, he is way down the list of candidates at this point in his career. Everyone else is saying f-you to Haslam. I just hope that a good coordinator who wants to be a head coach doesn't fall into a trap. Nobody will win, including The Bills. He should just use it as interviewing experience!

He is likely looking at it as interviewing experience and also starting to get his name out there for future openings. Browns are going to hire Adam Gase but need back up plans if Gase ends up not interested. I also expect them to interview Greg Roman from the 49ers as soon as he is available to do so. Roman is a John Carroll grad and has been a hot name for a couple years. Pettine is just a backup plan and the fans would revolt if they hired him.

Based on the owner's release yesterday basically telling fans to "calm down", i'm not so sure he is that concerned with fan feedback through this process.

He is very concerned, hence the press release.

Good for him and it'd be a loss no doubt. But let's be honest. Our defense is loaded with talent. Multiple high picks. The fact that Wanny was so terrible clouded the fact this was a super talent group. If we do lose Pettine, it'd be a great situation for an upcoming DC to step into.

That said, I'd think the Browns will go offensive with their head coach since they will drafting a QB high.