Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

Just imagine how non-blind homer Browns fans would react if their team hired a co-ordinator from the Buffalo Bills to be their new HC. Talk about a hard sell to the fanbase... I just can't see this happening.

Thing is...they might not be able to get anybody else. (Bowles and McDaniels withdrew their names, as did others.)

Nobody wants to go work there now...hopefully Marrone's buddy "Chud" can have a talk with Mike Pettine about his experience.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Browns would be dumb enough to hire him as a HC right now too...

And the Bills are not smart enough to give him a raise and a title of Assistant Head Coach.

If Pettine goes to the Browns I think it is the best hire out of all the current positions that have been recently filled.

I agree, 100%...I thought back in August he would get an opportunity within 1-2 years. He will turn a team around quickly.

He wasn't a secret before - he was (and is still) in that second tier of guys that aren't likely hired for another year or two but are likely to get a shot soon unless something surprising happens. Maybe Cleveland surprises and pulls the trigger but the jobs been open 2.5 weeks and he's been available to interview for 2.5 weeks. The common guess would be that they are waiting for someone and just doing their due diligence in the meantime just in case.

I thought he was still in the process of proving he could run the defense. Many pundits might have thought this year was Mikes attempt at a coming out year from under Rex's shadow as a DC.. That he succeeded mostly. But HC offers already ? I hope he has some sense of respect and coach here this coming season. One more year before a handoff is reasonable ?

Thing is...they might not be able to get anybody else. (Bowles and McDaniels withdrew their names, as did others.)

Nobody wants to go work there now...hopefully Marrone's buddy "Chud" can have a talk with Mike Pettine about his experience.

Why might he choose to accept a poor situation ?

I thought he was still in the process of proving he could run the defense. Many pundits might have thought this year was Mikes attempt at a coming out year from under Rex's shadow as a DC.. That he succeeded mostly. But HC offers already ? I hope he has some sense of respect and coach here this coming season. One more year before a handoff is reasonable ?

Remind me what offer he's gotten? He hasn't even interviewed yet. That he got a single interview almost 3 weeks in is more surprising to me that he didn't get more attention and that's coming from someone that thought he had no shot at an offer of a job this year.

I'm glad Pettine is getting an interview. He deserves it. I think the Bills should up the ante and make him assistant head coach with a raise in $. He could go next year after we have a top ranked D and finally win the big one.

Edited by turftoe

Remind me what offer he's gotten? He hasn't even interviewed yet. That he got a single interview almost 3 weeks in is more surprising to me that he didn't get more attention and that's coming from someone that thought he had no shot at an offer of a job this year.

i dont know that he any offers Not sure what you mean ?

He has had an interview it seems . And i would consider that an offer might follow that after interviews are nearly exhuasted .

i am surprised . seems like political move an i hope i am right. next year , we fans should consider seriously he will be gone .

Interviews might be just a formality on a couple levels. pre interest interest

Edited by 3rdand12

Now if Pettine gets the HC gig does he take Henderson with him and gives him defensive coordinator title (although Pettine still calls the plays and designs the scheme). As it would be a promotion for Henderson I don't think the Bills can deny him.

If this happens our coaching staff would be stripped barer than the Dick Jauron days.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

i dont know that he any offers Not sure what you mean ?

He has had an interview it seems . And i would consider that an offer might follow that after interviews are nearly exhuasted .

i am surprised . seems like political move an i hope i am right. next year , we fans should consider seriously he will be gone .

Interviews might be just a formality on a couple levels. pre interest interest

You wrote along the lines of "HC job offers already?!?" It seemed a few folks were getting a little ahead of themselves as he hasn't even interviewed and it seems some are counting him as already gone.

Interesting . . . . most people would tell guys to JUMP if they have a shot at one of only 32 HC jobs in NFL --- however, this one has turned off almost every person that has interviewed for it ---- one would think Pettine would be able to land a better situation if he waited a year, but, a bird in hand . . . . my bet is he gets offer and takes it ---- will be devastating to Bills as he was the best Marrone hire

Agree. If Pettine is interested in interviewing for the job, I'm assuming that he's interested in taking it as well if given the opportunity. I don't think you can assume otherwise.

Now if Pettine gets the HC gig does he take Henderson with him and gives him defensive coordinator title (although Pettine still calls the plays and designs the scheme). As it would be a promotion for Henderson I don't think the Bills can deny him.

If this happens our coaching staff would be stripped barer than the Dick Jauron days.

The browns already have a very talented d coordinator. I don't know that he (Horton) is going anywhere.

Pettine is doing what's right for his career. I would be surprised if he gets the gig though. I live about an hour away from Cleveland and the rumor is that the Browns want someone with at least some HC experience at the NFL level. That being said, it seems like owners are going with a youth movement when it comes to the HC position, so I suppose he's just as much of a viable candidate as any of the other coordinators that they've talked to.

Anybody who's thinking of taking the Browns job has to have some second thoughts about Haslam though. Letting Chud go after one season made no sense at all. Some people in the area are thinking that Haslam is the second coming of Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones.......completely unwilling to give up control and let the football people make the decisions.

You make a very good point I haven't read earlier in the thread. The job interview goes two ways in every situation, but especially this job. Anyone considering the job is going to want some gouge on just what went down with Chud getting the 1-and-done treatment.

It would be unfortunate this long into the offseason too. Hopefully not a real consideration though.

The browns already have a very talented d coordinator. I don't know that he (Horton) is going anywhere.

IMO Pettine will want control of the defense and call the plays. I don't think Horton would be a good fit with Pettine as he would be taking a back seat. Not great for Hortons career IMO as he seems to be wanting to get out of the shadows.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

You wrote along the lines of "HC job offers already?!?" It seemed a few folks were getting a little ahead of themselves as he hasn't even interviewed and it seems some are counting him as already gone.

Ah. my apology. I was not of the same thinking at that point !

Some folks have had themselves leaning that way as soon as they realized Mike Pettine is the real deal.

: )

Just giving the guy an interview gives Pettine viability, and plants the seed for other teams to think about him

this is true indeed. And visibilty too

Agree. If Pettine is interested in interviewing for the job, I'm assuming that he's interested in taking it as well if given the opportunity. I don't think you can assume otherwise.

I would like to think its a bit more complex than that given the circumstance

Then you missed this

Ray Horton reportedly top choice for Titans defensive coordinator

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/ray-horton-reportedly-top-choice-for-titans-defensive-coordinator/

I'm think he will be upset for being passed over for yet another chance to land a HCing job, first Arizona and now the Browns.

Ah. my apology. I was not of the same thinking at that point !

Some folks have had themselves leaning that way as soon as they realized Mike Pettine is the real deal.

: )

this is true indeed. And visibilty too

No worries- just tapping the breaks a little as I think even with the interview he's a long shot. That said, there's still a shot....

Meh, Mike is a good D cord. He should get interviews for HC jobs. Just because he accepts an interview doesn't mean he will b offered the job or that he will take it. Given what went down in OHIO this year I don't think anyone would just jump at an offer. I think he stays in B-lo at least another season. He is still a little unknown seeing he was in fat Rex's shadow for years and now he gets his own D and improves them greatly. This could b seen as a 1 year wonder by some. He might need to show consistency as D cord before getting offers for the HC spot. This doesn't mean teams wouldn't want to interview him.