Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah. my apology. I was not of the same thinking at that point !

Some folks have had themselves leaning that way as soon as they realized Mike Pettine is the real deal.

: )

this is true indeed. And visibilty too

I would like to think its a bit more complex than that given the circumstance

To think it is more "complex than that" is a stretch.

Who interviews for a huge promotion, huge increase in pay (millions of dollars) and is assumed if hired not to except the job because of some other circumstance? Any circumstance is the minority. I can't go by that logic not knowing the "circumstances", if there are even any.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Meh, Mike is a good D cord. He should get interviews for HC jobs. Just because he accepts an interview doesn't mean he will b offered the job or that he will take it. Given what went down in OHIO this year I don't think anyone would just jump at an offer. I think he stays in B-lo at least another season. He is still a little unknown seeing he was in fat Rex's shadow for years and now he gets his own D and improves them greatly. This could b seen as a 1 year wonder by some. He might need to show consistency as D cord before getting offers for the HC spot. This doesn't mean teams wouldn't want to interview him.

dude. i just said that.

kinda : )

Have you all thought about how this staement affects the Team during the off season ?

Marrone and his team building and trust and all that.

Gotta be a blow of some magnitude when the players read this.

They are professionals. Plenty of coordinators interview annually. Some on active playoff teams. I think they know its a business, and there's little harm.

Fudge. This is scary. But I would be shocked if the Browns don''t hire Adam Gase as soon as they are able to when Denver is done. Cleveland's owner Jimmy Haslam is a big time UT booster and very tight with Peyton. If Peyton personally recommends him to Haslam (as he did Caldwell to Detroit), I think they will go that route. They are definitely going to give anyone who goes there at least 3 years, IMO, this time around. They admitted they made a mistake with Chud, and if that is their perspective, better to cut the cord now than wait. But it looks terrible for the organization and has hurt their ability to attract good HC candidates.

They are professionals. Plenty of coordinators interview annually. Some on active playoff teams. I think they know its a business, and there's little harm.

Many times, teams do this to learn about the different systems. Competitive intelligence.

To think it is more "complex than that" is a stretch.

really ? You might be right.

I was over/thinking maybe. But could this be a shot over the Bow for Whaley and Marrone .

Is this a precursor to Pettine climbing the desirability ranks ?

Is Pettine unhappy. Is Marrone unhappy with Pettine .

Do they have differnces in approach similar to Hilliard or Driesbach , Pettine .

Stretch sure.

But its in the realm of possibles. aint it BBF ?

Thats all true . And correct enough. But with a newly assembled team it might appear as unrest ?

really ? You might be right.

I was over/thinking maybe. But could this be a shot over the Bow for Whaley and Marrone .

Is this a precursor to Pettine climbing the desirability ranks ?

Is Pettine unhappy. Is Marrone unhappy with Pettine .

Do they have differnces in approach similar to Hilliard or Driesbach , Pettine .

Stretch sure.

But its in the realm of possibles. aint it BBF ?

I really think the Bills were a stepping stone for Mike Pettine IMO. Lot's of talent, needed a scheme. It really was a perfect fit for him.

Besides Pettine this is a pretty bad staff IMO. Even though it doesn't help the Bills I hope Pettine get's it. I think it would be an amazing hire for the Browns.

Browns fans are yawning and not impressed...I think unless Pettine knocks their socks off in the interview they won't hire him. They really need to get it right this time and that involves exciting the fan base. Last time around, Chud was a name rarely brought up for other jobs (similar to Pettine) and seemed like a desperation reach when they didn't get Chip Kelly (said they didn't want him, but I don';t think that's the way it went down). This would be just like that, as no one else interviewed Pettine. Fan base would be POd and the uninformed sector of the media who has no idea what is going on within the Bills would laugh.

Browns fans are yawning and not impressed...I think unless Pettine knocks their socks off in the interview they won't hire him. They really need to get it right this time and that involves exciting the fan base. Last time around, Chud was a name rarely brought up for other jobs (similar to Pettine) and seemed like a desperation reach when they didn't get Chip Kelly (said they didn't want him, but I don';t think that's the way it went down). This would be just like that, as no one else interviewed Pettine. Fan base would be POd and the uninformed sector of the media who has no idea what is going on within the Bills would laugh.

Pettines resume is excellent. Lots of playoff experience and he has been involved in many top units that have followed him throughout his career as a coach.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Interesting . . . . most people would tell guys to JUMP if they have a shot at one of only 32 HC jobs in NFL --- however, this one has turned off almost every person that has interviewed for it ---- one would think Pettine would be able to land a better situation if he waited a year, but, a bird in hand . . . . my bet is he gets offer and takes it ---- will be devastating to Bills as he was the best Marrone hire

It is a bad job for anyone who has ever been an HC before because there is no power over anything. Banner holds all the cards. Guys are withdrawing like crazy., They want a puppet. It will be a OC or DC from somewhere willing to do whatever Banner says. Even Lombardi doesn't even show up to the pressers.

Meh, Mike is a good D cord. He should get interviews for HC jobs. Just because he accepts an interview doesn't mean he will b offered the job or that he will take it. Given what went down in OHIO this year I don't think anyone would just jump at an offer. I think he stays in B-lo at least another season. He is still a little unknown seeing he was in fat Rex's shadow for years and now he gets his own D and improves them greatly. This could b seen as a 1 year wonder by some. He might need to show consistency as D cord before getting offers for the HC spot. This doesn't mean teams wouldn't want to interview him.

I agree. No harm in talking and looking for common ground, but the Browns are a tough gig - owner with an itchy trigger finger and that whole "factory of sadness" thing. It would be entirely reasonable to go talk and look at it as a "practice interview" from Pettine's point of view, so as to be more prepared when something truly plummy comes along. Pettine did a nice job in his first year with the Bills, and was certainly a huge upgrade over Wannstache or Edwards. But face facts - our D was still 20th in the league for points given up and 28th (!!!) against the run.

I think before Pettine becomes a serious contender for a desireable HC gig, he'll have to show a pattern of steady improvement of more than 1 yr. Say, that next year we break into the top 3rd overall and no worse than 15th against the run, on D.

It is a bad job for anyone who has ever been an HC before because there is no power over anything. Banner holds all the cards. Guys are withdrawing like crazy., They want a puppet. It will be a OC or DC from somewhere willing to do whatever Banner says. Even Lombardi doesn't even show up to the pressers.

so like Redskins and Griffin ?

If Pettine gets the Cleveland gig, and Wade doesn't want our DC job,

I'd bet George Edwards, Jerry Gray, Ted Cottrell or even maybe Walt Corey might be interested!

What about Perry Fewell ? Giants are cleaning house

Complete opposite. It's the sign of a successful program (for a change)

To you maybe .

I have gone through 4 presidents/leaders of my company in 7 years. The one we have now is making a difference. If he left i would lose some heart for sure. Business sure. i get that. But But when we get something that works we all want to keep it and build on it. well some of us.

3 others just used the company and our hard work to leapfrog their careers

Edited by 3rdand12