Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

He is likely looking at it as interviewing experience and also starting to get his name out there for future openings. Browns are going to hire Adam Gase but need back up plans if Gase ends up not interested. I also expect them to interview Greg Roman from the 49ers as soon as he is available to do so. Roman is a John Carroll grad and has been a hot name for a couple years. Pettine is just a backup plan and the fans would revolt if they hired him.

He is very concerned, hence the press release.

That is lucky for us.

I think Pettine would and should take the job if offered. As for Gase and Roman, whose names have been more prominent, they could wait for a spot, although I think they should also take it. If it is a Den/SF Super Bowl does Cleveland pull the trigger for Pettine? I don't think they really have to do that. Isn't this the only vacancy left?

I think the downside for Pettine is low. Does anyone think Chud will have trouble getting a job because Cleveland fired him in that manner? Any coach that went into Cleveland and approached a winning record would be in line for big $$$ a few years down the road. Dallas/NY, etc. It seems low risk and their roster isn't that bad, nor is there division good.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I would love to have Wade, I assume that you are joking. :)

Was Marrone hired because he was/is a Brandon crony? I will leave this for others to decide. But crony or not, my guess is that Marrone is one of the top 5 lowest paid HCs in the NFL, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is THE lowest paid.

To take this a step further, I would be willing to wager that Wade was paid more in Houston as DC than the Bills paid Marrone this year.

So yeah.....I hope Pettine stays.

You are correct that he is tied for third lowest paid. But why wouldn't he be? This is his first HC job. He hasn't proven anything. He is tied with Ron Rivera, Rex Ryan, Gus Bradley, Mike McCoy. When they were still in their roles, Munchak and Frazier were also in that group. They all make 3mill. Were they all "cronies" too? No, they are just in their first HC job. I don't understand slamming Brandon for this. I know for a fact SD wanted to interview Marrone for their opening last year and were so interested in him that the Bills offered him the job before he could interview. By the way, John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Joe Philbin all make only 500k more than Marrone, as did Schiano and Schwartz before they got fired.

http://coacheshotseat.com/NFLCoachesSalaries.htm

When you are offerred your first head coaching position, you take it. He'd be a fool not to even though it's Cleveland. You think Jay Gruden had second thoughts about accepting the Redskins HC position because he'd be working for Snyder? I strongly doubt it. Would you turn down a hefty pay raise at work because "it isn't the right fit?"

Absolutely agree. The thought of ever being fired is mute. Don't people realize that after coaches get fired while they are under contract they still get paid.

There is no risk whatsoever to taking a headcoaching gig.

Was Marrone hired because he was/is a Brandon crony? I will leave this for others to decide. But crony or not, my guess is that Marrone is one of the top 5 lowest paid HCs in the NFL, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is THE lowest paid.

To take this a step further, I would be willing to wager that Wade was paid more in Houston as DC than the Bills paid Marrone this year.

You are correct that he is tied for third lowest paid. But why wouldn't he be? This is his first HC job. He hasn't proven anything. He is tied with Ron Rivera, Rex Ryan, Gus Bradley, Mike McCoy. When they were still in their roles, Munchak and Frazier were also in that group. They all make 3mill. Were they all "cronies" too? No, they are just in their first HC job. I don't understand slamming Brandon for this. I know for a fact SD wanted to interview Marrone for their opening last year and were so interested in him that the Bills offered him the job before he could interview. By the way, John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Joe Philbin all make only 500k more than Marrone, as did Schiano and Schwartz before they got fired. He is not the lowest paid.

http://coacheshotsea...hesSalaries.htm

Absolutely agree. The thought of ever being fired is mute. Don't people realize that after coaches get fired while they are under contract they still get paid.

There is no risk whatsoever to taking a headcoaching gig.

Do you mean moot? Haha. Anyway, Chud is making 10 mill not to coach the Browns. Best gig ever. That said, this organization sucks (the Browns) and unless Pettine is looking to make a move regardless (he may be, who knows) he may not go there unless the situation is perfect for him. That includes having control over personnel, I would suspect. He won't have that there. Lots of GMs and coaches wouldn't interview last year with the Browns because of one thing. Joe Banner.

To those who think that Mikey will turn down the job because its in Cleveland...are forgetting that he currently works in Buffalo. The fans that think Buffalo is a more stable situation are forgetting the man who owns the team.

Anyway, who in their right mind turns down a job that would pay millions to take a shot at the Brass gold ring, and is one of only 32 in the world. I would question his mental state if he turned down the job.

I wouldn't.

Pettines resume is excellent. Lots of playoff experience and he has been involved in many top units that have followed him throughout his career as a coach.

If they hired Pettine it would be the worst thing they could do in the fans' eyes. He is a name that hadn't been brought up for any other jobs, from a non-playoff team. Same thing they did last year. Fans hated the Chud move and then revolted even more when the organization admitted they paniced and made a mistake and fired him after a year. Bush League. Unless they literally cannot throw enough money at Greg Roman or Adam Gase to go there and they have no other options, I don't think this happened. Edited by YoloinOhio

Imagine for a second that you're a Browns fan.

Pissed as you may be at the ineptitude of your organization, you're still excited that you get a new head coach. Its like a draft before the draft. "Who are we gonna take?" It's at least a little fun.

And then WHAM!

You're struck back to reality as they hire a coordinator from the BILLS, of all teams. "Didn't WE beat these guys?!"

Confusion leads to anger. You start looking up basic information because you're a fan but not intense enough to know who the hell Mike Pettine is. Scrolling through the Bills schedule, a few 30+ point defensive performances. Sound losses to the Buccaneers and Falcons offenses.

My guess is your first impression of the hire... not that good.

Nix/Whaley made the final call on Marrone, so the answer is no.

Marrone, like most rookie head coaches, makes the lowest tier salary in the NFL. Look at the top 10, it's pretty much all Superbowl winning coaches up there (and Chip Kelly).

And for the record, I highly doubt that Wade Phillips was making more than Marrone's $3M/year in Houston, seeing as how their head coach was making $4M/year. It's very rare for a coordinator to get even $1M/year (except in Dallas--where Jerry Jones just loves to throw money around at coaches that may or may not deserve it).

In fact, here's a link to an article surmising that Monte Kiffin, whose defense ranked near the bottom of the NFL in many categories, was the league's highest paid coordinator (it also mentions that Phillips is likely earning close to the $1M/year salary as a coordinator):

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4704844/is-monte-kiffin-one-of-the-highest-paid-assistant-coach-in-the-nfl

Imagine for a second that you're a Browns fan.

Pissed as you may be at the ineptitude of your organization, you're still excited that you get a new head coach. Its like a draft before the draft. "Who are we gonna take?" It's at least a little fun.

And then WHAM!

You're struck back to reality as they hire a coordinator from the BILLS, of all teams. "Didn't WE beat these guys?!"

Confusion leads to anger. You start looking up basic information because you're a fan but not intense enough to know who the hell Mike Pettine is. Scrolling through the Bills schedule, a few 30+ point defensive performances. Sound losses to the Buccaneers and Falcons offenses.

My guess is your first impression of the hire... not that good.

Since I live here I can tell you it would be absolutely slammed by the media.

If we are being honest with ourselves, in 2014 the Bills will struggle again on offense and special teams and have a killer D (assuming Pettine stays). We will probably finish 6-10 again. At that point I say fire Marrone and let his cronies (Hackett, Crossman) walk and promote Pettine to HC and bring in an experienced OC. It's so obvious!

If we are assuming that nothing will improve being honest with ourselves, in 2014 the Bills will struggle again on offense and special teams and have a killer D (assuming Pettine stays). We will probably finish 6-10 again. At that point I say fire Marrone and let his cronies (Hackett, Crossman) walk and promote Pettine to HC and bring in an experienced OC. It's so obvious!

Went ahead and fixed that for ya!

Tradking Richardson for a 1st round pick doesn't look like an inept franchise to me. Atleast it's not as inept as the overreaction to firing a coach after a year. That doesn't look inept to me either. I look at that as being able to move on from mistakes earlier rather than later.

My point is the Browns are no more inept as the Bills, Redskins, Jets, Cowboys etc.

Tradking Richardson for a 1st round pick doesn't look like an inept franchise to me. Atleast it's not as inept as the overreaction to firing a coach after a year. That doesn't look inept to me either. I look at that as being able to move on from mistakes earlier rather than later.

My point is the Browns are no more inept as the Bills, Redskins, Jets, Cowboys etc.

Perhaps the Richardson trade in itself is not an example of ineptitude; I would argue that trading away a 1st round pick with the mantra of focusing on the future--thereby hampering your rookie HC with even less offensive talent--and then turning around and firing that coach for not winning games with that dearth of talent you created for him is indeed a mark of ineptitude.

Perhaps the Richardson trade in itself is not an example of ineptitude; I would argue that trading away a 1st round pick with the mantra of focusing on the future--thereby hampering your rookie HC with even less offensive talent--and then turning around and firing that coach for not winning games with that dearth of talent you created for him is indeed a mark of ineptitude.

Plus they had traded up to get TRich in the first place... so the trade was a wash with Indy. They had traded up to 3 and wasted two picks on him, and got one pick back. Also, while TRich did nothing in Indy, he rished for 1000 yards the year before with the Browns and had broken ribs most of the season. He was helping them and they replaced him with McGahee and had no running game to go with no QB. Edited by YoloinOhio

Plus they had traded up to get TRich in the first place... so the trade was a wash with Indy. They had traded up to 3 and wasted two picks on him, and got one pick back.

Factor in the idea that they were even looking to deal Josh Gordon at one point during last season, and then had to renege on that because they would've looked totally absurd.

But the fact remains they started to win games AFTER the trade.

He didn't...the statement was hyperbole.

Yeah, I kind of got that impression and I deleted my post after seeing Yolo's link to the same page. I was guessing that $1m would be the ballpark for the highest paid coordinator and I chuckled when I saw your link to the ESPN article about Kiffin.

GO BILLS!!!

Factor in the idea that they were even looking to deal Josh Gordon at one point during last season, and then had to renege on that because they would've looked totally absurd.

I'll tell you who is inept - the Colts. I truly believe the Browns would have dealt Gordon to them for that 1st rd pick in September as well. Can you imagine Gordon on that team with Luck and TY Hilton?

Kinda.

They just fired their rookie HC man. How much are trying to comb over the definition of inept?

I'm not saying the Bills are any more or less inept or anything. I don't have the patience to figure out that photo finish.

Edited by fridge

Like any other team.

You realize Richardson was basically benched in the playoffs. It was a brilliant trade on the Browns behalf.

They traded up to get Richardson in the first place, I wouldn't exactly call it brilliant getting rid of him. More like saving face.

Like any other team.

You realize Richardson was basically benched in the playoffs. It was a brilliant trade on the Browns behalf.

Bad trade for Indy, we will see whether the Browns capitalize. TRich had a very good rookie season for them, we don't know how he would have helped them this year. He did not play well for Indy, maybe their coaching has something to do with that since he was a different player in Cleveland.

Kinda.

They just fired their rookie HC man. How much are trying to comb over the definition of inept?

I'm not saying the Bills are any more or less inept or anything. I don't have the patience to figure out that photo finish.

I'll say it. The Bills are less inept.

They traded up to get Richardson in the first place, I wouldn't exactly call it brilliant getting rid of him. More like saving face.

I would. Getting a 1st round pick for a RB....I don't see the value in trading 1st round picks for a RB. Is it the same front office that made the initial move in the draft to get him?

I see the Browns franchise currently as a group who are quickly able to move on from mistakes.

It wouldn't surprise me if they turn it around faster than the Bills. I don't see them any more inept than the Bills but perhaps a bit more progressive in their thinking.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

They started to win games after they benched Brandon Weeden; a change that actually did have an impact. It's not a coincidence that they won 3 in a row with Hoyer starting (even if he didn't finish the Bills game) and got their only other win with Campbell playing QB.

I would. Getting a 1st round pick for a RB....I don't see the value in trading 1st round picks for a RB.

I see the Browns franchise currently as a group who are quickly able to move on from mistakes.

It wouldn't surprise me if they turn it around faster than the Bills. I don't see them any more inept than the Bills but perhaps a bit more progressive in their thinking.

They got the 26th pick for a guy that was the 3rd overall pick...I can't call that brilliant.

I would. Getting a 1st round pick for a RB....I don't see the value in trading 1st round picks for a RB.

Yea they got great value for him but again they traded up for him in the first place. They, the Browns, over-valued him to begin with and lost 2 picks in the process. Getting 1 pick back only saves face, it doesn't make them brilliant.

I would. Getting a 1st round pick for a RB....I don't see the value in trading 1st round picks for a RB. Is it the same front office that made the initial move in the draft to get him?

Is that what the kids call it these days? lol

I'll tell you who is inept - the Colts. I truly believe the Browns would have dealt Gordon to them for that 1st rd pick in September as well. Can you imagine Gordon on that team with Luck and TY Hilton?

Dear lord. Gordon and Hilton stretching the field with a hopefully healthy Wayne next year? Luck would've been drooling over that.

Getting back to the OP...if Pettine does leave, I would go balls-to-the-wall after 49ers DL Coach Jim Tomsula for the DC gig.

This guy can coach

He is getting HC inquiries already... I read

Yea they got great value for him but again they traded up for him in the first place. They, the Browns, over-valued him to begin with and lost 2 picks in the process. Getting 1 pick back only saves face, it doesn't make them brilliant.

And we'll see what they do with the pick. Clearly Mock drafts mean nothing but I have seen multiple ones with them taking an RB at 26. Sooo... they better hope if they do that the new RB gets at least 1000 yds his rookie year or the trade was not good.

To those who think that Mikey will turn down the job because its in Cleveland...are forgetting that he currently works in Buffalo. The fans that think Buffalo is a more stable situation are forgetting the man who owns the team.

Anyway, who in their right mind turns down a job that would pay millions to take a shot at the Brass gold ring, and is one of only 32 in the world. I would question his mental state if he turned down the job.

Who knows what the offer would be, what control he would get and i think you are discounting how different "stability" is for a DC vs a HC. If as a HC you get a raw deal, you dont know when or if you will get another chance - as a DC, you latch on elsewhere much easier.

and of course, all that being IF he even gets an offer.

Different front offices with each decicision. Your logic you are basing the Browns ineptness on their past front office personnel.