Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assumed part of his decision to come to Buffalo was based on the chance that Marrone doesn't work out as a head coach on this team. And if that ends up being the case, then he would be first in line for the job as he is both competent and well respected by the fans. If the Bills don't make the playoffs in the next 2 years and the defense is still as impressive as it was this year, then you can bet he will get his shot right here.

It might be hard for him to get a head coaching gig. It's be hard for a more established guy like Mike Zimmer to get one. The league seems to favor offensive guys as head coaches.

The long term rumor around zimmer is he doesn't have the demeanor and organization to be a head coach. Essentially he's a good cog but a poor CEO.

I also think he's a year away. Despite the improvement the Bills gave up too many big plays, had a few ugly games and gave up too many rushing yards. But turnovers and sacks were gaudy numbers. I think the Bills would have to shut down a few high powered offenses for him to really get consideration. They had a nice start against the Saints, for example, but looked ugly after that. Here's one question - how well is he getting along with Marrone and Hackett? I think our only hope is that they like each other enough to see how good they can become together. I think the odds of that are small and Pettine, assuming another successful year, will leave after next year.

Yeah Pettine wants a HC gig. I think some of the reports/interviews back when he was hired had him mentioning that "that's what most of us work for"...I think if he gets hired "first time out" this off season, that would be a huge surprise. Peter King reports that There's a NFL panel that is charged with recommending HC candidates to teams looking for a HC. Pettine supposedly is on this list.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/18/nfl-week-16-storylines/

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/5648/shutout-win-could-help-propel-pettine

I assumed part of his decision to come to Buffalo was based on the chance that Marrone doesn't work out as a head coach on this team. And if that ends up being the case, then he would be first in line for the job as he is both competent and well respected by the fans. If the Bills don't make the playoffs in the next 2 years and the defense is still as impressive as it was this year, then you can bet he will get his shot right here.

No offense but that doesn't make much sense. Teams rarely fire the head coach but keep a coordinator the head coach picked to move up the ranks. Honestly, I can't think of any examples of it.

The long term rumor around zimmer is he doesn't have the demeanor and organization to be a head coach. Essentially he's a good cog but a poor CEO.

Interesting & never heard that before. But I do think NFL is biased towards offensive coaches right now. I think Gus Bradley was the only defensive guy hired last year.

Yet it didn't stop the Bills from hiring Doug Marrone who had a college track record of .500 at Syracuse. Pettines track record is far superior IMO and includes a lot more NFL experience.

:doh:

Why do people insist on spouting nonsense that's so easy to check? Even if you don't count Marrone's 5 years as an NFL player, their NFL coaching experience is pretty close - 9 years to 7, but with much of Pettine's time spent in some pretty small roles - assistant DL, Outside LB...

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Mike_Pettine

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Doug_Marrone

Edited by BobChalmers

Bills defense is terrible still in reality, and the team is not successful, not sure how that fits into a coordinator getting HC interviews.

If we are terrible, ranking 7th in the NFL, leading with 56 sacks, 2nd with 22 interceptions, and improving by 110 yards per game from the first half of the year to the second half, and allowing opposing QBs to complete 51% of their passes with a 60 QB rating over that time frame for a ridiculous 5.5 YPA, how bad are all the other defenses?

One of the dumbest things I've read in a long time

Bills defense is terrible still in reality, and the team is not successful, not sure how that fits into a coordinator getting HC interviews.

The Bills sucked last year under Wanny. This year they're 6th in yards per play allowed, 1st in sacks, 2nd in INTs. How is that terrible?

They're on the field a lot because (1) the offense isn't very good, and (2) they offense is uptempo. The yardage allowed totals aren't what we want nor are they indicative of the Pettine's qualitative improvements. 6th in yards per play is very good and a huge improvement over 2012 (22nd). What Pettine's accomplished in just one year has been impressive and people will notice.

:doh:

Why do people insist on spouting nonsense that's so easy to check? Even if you don't count Marrone's 5 years as an NFL player, their NFL coaching experience is pretty close - 9 years to 7, but with much of Pettine's time spent in some pretty small roles - assistant DL, Outside LB...

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Mike_Pettine

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Doug_Marrone

Actually it's Doug Marrones roles which were small in the NFL even his role in New Orleans which was focused on protection schemes and not playcalling. Pettine has vastly greater experience in terms of scheming and creating gameplans for an entire unit in the NFL...and its actually a 3 year difference. I'm under the impression Marrone doesn't have a single year of experience (or having say) of playcalling in the NFL prior to becoming HC of the Bills

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

No offense but that doesn't make much sense. Teams rarely fire the head coach but keep a coordinator the head coach picked to move up the ranks. Honestly, I can't think of any examples of it.

Could be true. I don't know and I certainly am not going to waste time looking it up across the NFL. But didn't Wade Philips get the HC job for the Bills after being a defensive coordinator here?

Could be true. I don't know and I certainly am not going to waste time looking it up across the NFL. But didn't Wade Philips get the HC job for the Bills after being a defensive coordinator here?

Jason Garrett comes to my mind right away. Offensive coordinator for Wade Phillips ...when Wade got fired Jones hired Garrett head coach...it does happen in the NFL.

Jason Garrett comes to my mind right away. Offensive coordinator for Wade Phillips ...when Wade got fired Jones hired Garrett head coach...it does happen in the NFL.

The interesting thing about Garrett being Wade's OC is that Wade never hired him. Jerruh hired Garrett as OC before he hired Wade to be his HC.

GO BILLS!!!

Leslie Fraser with the Vikings is another example.

Point is it's very rare. MP is hoping to get a **** from another team. He didn't come to Buffalo to work for his friend hoping his friend will get fired & then he can take his job.

For the record, if he did leave, I'd be more than happy with Donnie Henderson as the DC. Been in the system awhile & has done wonders with our d backs.

Buddy's original '46' defense has provided the basis for many teams, without the personnel to generate a consistent pass rush, to effectively defend the dominant pro passing attack at it's source - by attacking gaps with numbers. like anything else, the better your personnel - the better the results - especially in it's ability to blow up slow developing running plays.

like his Jet teams, the Bills have excellent people for this. on occasion, we've blown gap assignments and simple plays broke big... but we've seen how quickly Pettine addresses these types of breakdowns. to me, this speaks loudest about the coach.. his ability to observe and install corrective measures promptly.

if this attention to detail is inherent in whatever tasks he's assigned as DC, then one might expect he would demand the same from his position coaches. if i were a GM looking at Pettine as a HC candidate, i'd interview those guys first. i'd like to know if Pettine sends them off with a clear set of goals, and then sits with them to review their work.. "who's improving their techniques?", "who's not getting it?", etc. if i hear what i hope to hear - that Pettine can delegate, yet stay involved - then i'd be confident he could transition his skills to the HC role.

i have a feeling we'll be losing him sooner, than later.. if Marrone hasn't already, he better assign him an assistant to mentor. maybe that's a question for Warrow to ask our HC - "are you prepared to lose your DC?"

Point is it's very rare. MP is hoping to get a **** from another team. He didn't come to Buffalo to work for his friend hoping his friend will get fired & then he can take his job.

For the record, if he did leave, I'd be more than happy with Donnie Henderson as the DC. Been in the system awhile & has done wonders with our d backs.

Mike McCarthy are other examples...I'm sure there are more...its not the most popular avenue to get a HC gig but its not as rare as you think.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Why move on? You have the makings of a great defense..... One or two more pieces and you have a #1 defense on your hands. Then you have a better team that you want to be the head coach of, not just the worse team with the most recent firing.

If the offense hits a homerun or two in FA or draft... you have a huge rebuild total team on your resume. He is not going anywere... yet!

A #1 defense and #12 offense gets us to the AFC championship game.... then you have your pick of HC jobs in college or the NFL