Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

No offense but that doesn't make much sense. Teams rarely fire the head coach but keep a coordinator the head coach picked to move up the ranks. Honestly, I can't think of any examples of it.

Interesting & never heard that before. But I do think NFL is biased towards offensive coaches right now. I think Gus Bradley was the only defensive guy hired last year.

For sure- you are right there's a bias too

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two thoughts:

1. Pettine's not going anywhere as a DC. That's a lateral move the Bills would block. But ...

2. It's common to interview hot coordinators for HC jobs even if they're not serious candidates so the interviewing team can pick their brains. This year's Bills improved in D in a lot of statistical ways so a lot of teams may be curious. Interviewing Pettine (a) gives you ideas for your own defense and (b) gives you insights on the Bills (and currently the Jets) for the next time you play them.

And before someone posts "isn't that info the new coach would want, not the owner and GM or whoever interviews?" Maybe but that's still what NFL teams do.

If we are terrible, ranking 7th in the NFL, leading with 56 sacks, 2nd with 22 interceptions, and improving by 110 yards per game from the first half of the year to the second half, and allowing opposing QBs to complete 51% of their passes with a 60 QB rating over that time frame for a ridiculous 5.5 YPA, how bad are all the other defenses?

One of the dumbest things I've read in a long time

Football is measure by points, our defense allows 25.6,m that is 24th, do you know how football is scored? It's not in yards or sacks.

Football is measure by points, our defense allows 25.6,m that is 24th, do you know how football is scored? It's not in yards or sacks.

Offense/ST have given up 4 td's I believe. Defense also has 3 td's. Against KC the defense was great. The Chiefs scored 23 points, 17 which can be attributed to the offense. If you're just looking at points allowed per game then the defense isn't good. Still you're leaving out soo many variables.

I think he returns for 1 more season and then gets a HC job. Dallas is a bad fit. Jerry Jones is too involved and needs a guy to HC who will put up with that. If Oakland keeps Dennis Allen for 1 more year and them fires him, that might be a good landing spot for Pettine.

Or could see him in Atlanta.

I think Mike Smith gets one more season. if he does not get the Falcons back to this championship game next year, Smith is gone.

Offense/ST have given up 4 td's I believe. Defense also has 3 td's. Against KC the defense was great. The Chiefs scored 23 points, 17 which can be attributed to the offense. If you're just looking at points allowed per game then the defense isn't good. Still you're leaving out soo many variables.

A lot of team defense stats are more in the middle when you do consider that:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-points-per-game

I like this site and stats.

Maybe I should not have said they stink, but the defense certainly was not not good, it was average. Certain games better than others of course, and a substantial number of games more that the defense was better than the offense, almost all of them, but that doesn't mean the defense was good.

There is no chance he will be an NFL HC next season. Zero.

Agreed. Pettine and the defense has shown flashes of competency. Nothing more. I am not ready to say they have a great defense when they just fly everyone up the field to get a sack or an INT…..meanwhile the 3rd string RB is running free in the secondary on the draw play.

It shows you how desperate we Buffalo fans are when a decent performance looks great.

Two thoughts:

1. Pettine's not going anywhere as a DC. That's a lateral move the Bills would block. But ...

2. It's common to interview hot coordinators for HC jobs even if they're not serious candidates so the interviewing team can pick their brains. This year's Bills improved in D in a lot of statistical ways so a lot of teams may be curious. Interviewing Pettine (a) gives you ideas for your own defense and (b) gives you insights on the Bills (and currently the Jets) for the next time you play them.

And before someone posts "isn't that info the new coach would want, not the owner and GM or whoever interviews?" Maybe but that's still what NFL teams do.

Oh c'mon..They can learn way more just by watching game film.

Shut down Brady! Honestly, they got completely shredded. But if before the game I told you Thad would completely outplay Brady & it wouldn't be close, you take your chances with Blount & company.

Pettine is our best DC since Dick LeBeau. I don't see him getting a head coaching job but if he returns, anything less than a top 10 D would be disappointing.

In his Si.com column today, Don Banks speculated about Pettine being considered for one of the soon-to-be-open HC jobs. Seems highly likely that he will at least get some interviews, especially if there are 7 or 8 openings. It would be a shame to see him leave after only one year. Wonder if Rex would consider the Bills' DC job if he gets sacked by the Jets. My guess is that he lands another head job pretty quickly.

And after today, "not so fast" . . . a Bills coach again out-smarted by the mad genius. It was obvious to anyone watching all season that the Bills run defense was weak—a bunch of sacks has masked that flaw—and again, Belicheck shows why he's smarter than just about the everybody else.

Simple game plan: run right at them, do it again, and then do it some more.

Anyhow, Pettine still has some things to prove, and today showed that.