Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

In his Si.com column today, Don Banks speculated about Pettine being considered for one of the soon-to-be-open HC jobs. Seems highly likely that he will at least get some interviews, especially if there are 7 or 8 openings. It would be a shame to see him leave after only one year. Wonder if Rex would consider the Bills' DC job if he gets sacked by the Jets. My guess is that he lands another head job pretty quickly.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would not be surprised if he gets an interview(s) or lands a headcoaching gig.

I think this would be devestating to the Bills though if we lose Pettine any time soon. It will surely show what this coaching staff is made of. IMO any success this team has had so far has been off the coattails of Mike Pettine and his defense.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

UGH. Seeing Pettine in Dallas would hurt. I don't see Jerry firing Garrett though. And not being a homer, I would literally prefer to DOMINATE on the defensive side with the Bills for the next +2 seasons than go to that train wreck of a Defense in Dallas if I'm Pettine. Pettine, if he wants to be a HC, will get plenty of options in the future without ruining his career by going to Dallas now.

Edited by bobobonators

Do we even know if he is interested in a head coaching gig?

I thought i readthat was the whole reason he left NY..he wanted to be a Head Coach, but felt he would never get the chance as the perception was Rex really ran the defense.So he came to Buffalo to be DC to get that recognition that he can run the show

I thought i readthat was the whole reason he left NY..he wanted to be a Head Coach, but felt he would never get the chance as the perception was Rex really ran the defense.So he came to Buffalo to be DC to get that recognition that he can run the show

Between that and his familys rich head coaching history, it seems like it's the obvious direction for him.

Edited by NoSaint

I think he returns for 1 more season and then gets a HC job. Dallas is a bad fit. Jerry Jones is too involved and needs a guy to HC who will put up with that. If Oakland keeps Dennis Allen for 1 more year and them fires him, that might be a good landing spot for Pettine.

Pettine is likely a 2 year guy in my opinion. One to get on the radar and one to get the job. I think most around here agree based on the straw polls in all the other threads on the topic.

Sadly, I believe this will be the situation. The Bills probably need a better record for Pettine to get full consideration. Also, working against him is a bias for offensive minded HC's.

In his Si.com column today, Don Banks speculated about Pettine being considered for one of the soon-to-be-open HC jobs. Seems highly likely that he will at least get some interviews, especially if there are 7 or 8 openings. It would be a shame to see him leave after only one year. Wonder if Rex would consider the Bills' DC job if he gets sacked by the Jets. My guess is that he lands another head job pretty quickly.

I don't think Pettine will realistically be hired away just yet. He's a first year D-coordinator that has had some success. Usually, teams want to see either a longer history/track record or big time team success i.e. deep playoff run/Superbowl before they think you're ready for the leap to HC. Since the Bills missed the playoffs, look for Pettine to maybe get some interviews/mentions, but not a HC job. If the Bills make the playoffs in 2014, Pettine could be gone.

I don't think Pettine will realistically be hired away just yet. He's a first year D-coordinator that has had some success. Usually, teams want to see either a longer history/track record or big time team success i.e. deep playoff run/Superbowl before they think you're ready for the leap to HC. Since the Bills missed the playoffs, look for Pettine to maybe get some interviews/mentions, but not a HC job. If the Bills make the playoffs in 2014, Pettine could be gone.

Yet it didn't stop the Bills from hiring Doug Marrone who had a college track record of .500 at Syracuse. Pettines track record is far superior IMO and includes a lot more NFL experience.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever