my skepticism

i hope Doug Marrone succeeds, and yet i'm left to wonder if this search was as "exhaustive" as Russ Brandon vowed it would be. He said there would be "no stone left unturned." and yet, there appears to have been some stones that weren't even touched.

what concerns me further is that there's been a clear desire on the part of the Buffalo Bills to "market" this coach and his staff to the public with team-generated, spoon-fed questions and quotes. there appears to be a want and desire to "market" this choice, without the glare of actual objective questioning.

this could surely well be interpreted as a complaint in regards to how the Buffalo Bills intend to control their message and how it's presented to the public. I certainly hope that after 13 years of covering a non-playoff team that they have it right. To me, I have several questions, including whether Mr. Brandon succeeded in his term as the Bills' GM, a time in which the team drafted Leodis McKelvin and Aaron Maybin in the first round.

jw.

Edited by john wawrow

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and me both brother.

This hire seems like a huge gamble for a team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 13 years. Seems an experienced NFL coach (Lovie) with a real experienced NFL staff to go with it would have had a much higher probability of success. Get us back to respectability anyway.

I hope Doug succeeds, but the choice baffles me.

The Hackett choice for OC AND QB Coach is baffling as well.

I'm off the bandwagon until I see reason (wins) to get on.

Go BILLS !!

i hope Doug Marrone succeeds, and yet i'm left to wonder if this search was as "exhaustive" as Russ Brandon vowed it would be. He said there would be "no stone left unturned." and yet, there appears to have been some stones that weren't even touched.

what concerns me further is that there's been a clear desire on the part of the Buffalo Bills to "market" this coach and his staff to the public with team-generated, spoon-fed questions and quotes. there appears to be a want and desire to "market" this choice, without the glare of actual objective questioning.

this could surely well be interpreted as a complaint in regards to how the Buffalo Bills intend to control their message and how it's presented to the public. I certainly hope that after 13 years of covering a non-playoff team that they have it right. To me, I have several questions, including whether Mr. Brandon succeeded in his term as the Bills' GM, a time in which the team drafted Leodis McKelvin and Aaron Maybin in the first round.

jw.

They also drafted Poz, Lynch, Wood Levitre and Byrd. Lets see how the baby turns out before we throw him out with the bathwater.

They also said that if they find their guy they would hire him before all the stones were turned. Marrone and Pettine are going to design this team with the personal in mind and they have had success where they have been before and at this point that is all we can ask for as fans.

Are you reporting that Russ Brandon, the director of non-football operations at the time, had final say on drafting those players and not the General Manager or Coach? That would be par for the course for this organization, I guess.

Brandon was in charge of football operations those two years.

jw.

Seriously? The only question that matters is will the Bills make the playoffs this coming season? 13 years of no playoffs is the answer to every question until they start winning early and often. As for the bolded part, you complain that they are "marketing" their moves right now, and yet you want to ask a question that you already know the answer to to get a quote from the guy in control of the marketing. I think you want Chris Brown's job.

Good topics for discussion, jw. For what it's worth, I think Brandon has indicated on numerous occasions he is not the "football guy" and even when he was the de facto GM, those personnel decisions weren't coming solely from him (i.e., he relied upon Marv and Dick). At his initial press conference as Prez/CEO he clearly stated he would not be drafting players. The guy seems to know where his strengths lie.

With respect to how the Bills conducted the HC search and what messages are being broadcast, it is clear to me they got either their first or second choice (if they wanted Kelly). Really, are any of the coaches hired since clearly better candidates? It is also evident if the Bills had not acted on Marrone when they did, he'd be the head coach in San Diego, Philly, or Cleveland right now. I look at Marrone and other than having some sort of brilliant W-L record as a head man, he has all of the qualifications a team should hope for. NFL experience as a player, position coach, and coordinator. Worked for successful people. Glowing reviews at each stop. Disciplinarian. Innovative. Part of numerous situations in which culture change took place from loser to winner. Energetic. I mean, truthfully, what's not to like?

I'm sorry he didn't give the media answers to every question they want answered, but it seems to me the last couple of Buffalo coaches have been far too candid. I'd prefer to see an organization that holds things closer to the chest, even if it means we as fans don't have as much access as we'd like.

It is clear from reading comments from you, Jerry Sullivan, Tim Graham, Sal Maiorana et al that the local media don't like the current veil of secrecy at One Bills Drive. Makes your jobs more difficult because you're only getting the company line. Well, while I understand the frustration, I applaud the Bills' approach.

There's more reason for optimism out of that organization than at any time since, perhaps, Donahoe traded for Bledsoe? Even you should see that.

Edited by eball

Well, they did interview Kelly, Horton, Whiz, and Lovie.

I don't think they rushed to judgement. That said, Marrone was most definitely a convenient choice.

Norv wasn't going to get a HC gig. Neither was Crennel or Shurmur.

Reid made a beeline to KC and stuck in their dartboard like a javelin thrown across the room.

Mularkey wasn't out of a job yet, and we would no sooner hire him than rehire Chan.

So, unless you're talking about bringing former HCs out of retirement, Gruden, The Chin, Schott, Reeves, Parcells, JJ, Kottite :ph34r: what are you thinking?

Marrone and Kelly were the top two Kallege HC candidates. The other vacancies in the NFL were filled by coordinators. We've done that before. It's never worked out, and I didn't see many of them that were slam-dunk locks to be NFL HC material.

At least The Bills went against tradition this time and hired a HC directly from the NCAA, albeit a convenient one from the perspective of the regional fan base. Time will tell.

I'm curious about these "stones left unturned" as well... who, exactly?

Also, the Bills weren't the only team to say "no thanks" to Lovie.

And if you think it's going to be tough covering the most recent Bills staff, thank your lucky stars you're not covering the Pats. I,for one, welcome the new approach.

Either way, I appreciate your coverge and participation here, so my post is with great respect. Thanks, John!

I liked Marrone at Syracuse and I was a little upset that he left. Apparently if the Bills didn't hire him, there were other teams interested so he may have ended up leaving Syracuse anyway. If it is true that other teams were interested, then I think the Bills deserve a little more respect for the choice.

I am optimistic about the fact that Marrone is a young guy with energy. I hope to see him getting into players' and refs' faces every so often on the sidelines. That would be a HUGE departure from the last few Bills coaches, and I think it would send a powerful message that things are changing.

I like the idea of hiring guys off the Jets coaching staff for the defense, I expect that to make a difference right away.

I agree that the Hackett choice for OC AND QB Coach is baffling. When they announced this decision, I was disappointed. I am nervous that the Bills will go from last year's complex offense and simple defense to next year's simple offense and complex defense. I also believe there will be a new QB to go with the new OC, so they will both be learning together.

If they draft Nassib at #8 I think this board will explode with all the anger and disgust. I won't mind, it just means that the Bills are putting all their eggs in one basket, and it will be interesting to see how the season develops. They will all sink or swim together.

Hope I'm wrong, but it's a bit hard to get excited for a guy who turned a bad college program into a mediocre one.....

It wasn't a bad college program, it was laughably pathetic. And he brought them back to a level of respectability, not just mediocrity. What he did their has such a tendancy to be undervalued...my Tonawanda Warriors could have smashed that team prior to Marrone's arrival.

Certainly the drafting of Nassib along with Marrone would be a huge worry. I am not getting on this bandwagon for a long time. I broke both legs jumping off with Donahoe, Greggo, Marv, Dick, Gailly et al and I cannot risk another fracture

I don't think they rushed to judgement. That said, Marrone was most definitely a convenient choice.

Reid made a beeline to KC and stuck in their dartboard like a javelin thrown across the room.

Mularkey wasn't out of a job yet, and we would no sooner hire him than rehire Chan.

So, unless you're talking about bringing former HCs out of retirement, Gruden, The Chin, Schott, Reeves, Parcells, JJ, Kottite :ph34r: what are you thinking?

Marrone and Kelly were the top two Kallege HC candidates. The other vacancies in the NFL were filled by coordinators. We've done that before. It's never worked out, and I didn't see many of them that were slam-dunk locks to be NFL HC material.

At least The Bills went against tradition this time and hired a HC directly from the NCAA, albeit a convenient one from the perspective of the regional fan base. Time will tell.

very well said. Couldn't add anything else myself.

jw.

So what should they have done to make the search "more exhaustive" Interview 10 candidates instead of 5?

Also, if Brandon gets credit for the failures of Maybin, does he also get credit for Byrd, Wood, and Levitre? The 2009 draft has been one of the best drafts in a long time for Buffalo?

What I find a bit frustrating about your post JW is the fact that you go out of your way to allude to several things you've learned about, but decline to elaborate. You clearly have some specifics in mind about the way in which the Bills conducted their coach search, Brandon's role, the team's controlling of the message, the draft and scouting process under Brandon, etc., yet you refuse to elaborate. And at the same time you suggest that the team is not playing fair with the media. Well, from this fan's perspective, I'm just as frustrated by the local media as I am with the team. I can't remember the last time a local sports reporter provided a meaningful scoop about the goings-on at OBD. There seems to be a reluctance to report certain things out of fear that the team will expel the reporter from the inner circle. The result is a closed system where no helpful or insightful information comes out, and the fans are the ones who suffer.

My request is that if you have specific information, please report it. Vague suggestions and allusions are simply infuriating.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I can see how the press might be a little put off by the way the Bills are interacting with them. I thought the press conference announcing the hire was anything but open and the marketing of the new staff has definitely been carefully choreographed. I don't think it will be long before reporters are pining for Chan Gailey and Dick Jauron with their frank assessments of how they are failing.

Edited by vincec

I can see how the press might be a little put off by the way the Bills are interacting with them. I thought the press conference announcing the hire was anything but open and the marketing of the new staff has definitely been carefully choreographed. I don't think it will be long before reporters are pining for Chan Gailey and Dick Jauron with their frank assessments of how they are failing.

chan already said great things about the city and organization. Juron would probably never say bad things about anyone. And I doubt the media would even attempt it. They Didnt with Phillips, Mularkey or Williams.

jw.

What stones were left unturned? It seems this organization is headed in a direction that is atypical from the past. How can THAT not be good?

So you have some questions.....you cover the team.....please ask them and get back to us.

Did Marrone have interviews lined up with other NFL teams? Would that suggest that others besides Brandon thought he was worth considering? It's also curious that none of the big name retreads, other than Reid who went directly to the Chiefs, were hired so far. So at least the Bills were ahead of the curve for once. I guess no one remembers 3 years ago when the Bills couldn't buy an interview with a coaching prospect.

PTR

jw.

Brandon's a marketer John, and that's exactly what this was, a carefully crafted marketing set-up. You hit the nail on the head here.

When the best thing that can be said about the changes are that they're "in a different direction," well, then clearly it has marketing at its core. Hiring high school coaches would have been in a different direction too, that wouldn't make it a sound move.

Should we have expected different from a marketing person? (semi-rhetorical)

I would say that it has largely worked, wouldn't you? All that the organization needed was for fans to cut them some more slack instead of standing up and telling them to go pound sand in a proverbial manner of speaking. I think that the reaction that they've gotten was about as favorable as it could have been short of hiring Lovie Smith, someone that took a similar team and averaged 9-7 with it, wouldn't you.

So, without having given up more control than Brandon & Co. would have liked, they've gotten the best reaction that they could have, fans are apparently ready to empty their wallets again next season if for no other reason than "it's different."

So from that perspective, I'd say mission accomplished by the marketers.

Edited by TaskersGhost

I think what you're saying jw is Brandon is making his mark already, and I doubt the cloaking device will be getting better from your standpoint. I believe (hope) Russ has learned to stay out of the personnel decisions from his time at gm and he was pretty adamant during the presser regarding his involvement. Probably because he wanted to make his mark with those first round picks and it didn't work out so well.

As for the coaches, I think the ownership situation is still tenuous enough that the "retirees" are not attracted. Also, why take a job where the organization has shown they will not do what it takes given the fact that we haven't been in the playoffs for so long? I think some very qualified people would look at the risk and say why bother. I don't think OBD will have enough time to prove they can put a winning organization together before the ownership changes and the coaches that have their choice probably don't even want to get involved. At least the roster brought in some interviews, but I think we're still 4 starters away from the playoffs and a few more from contending for the super bowl.

So I guess what I'm saying is either we're going to catch lightening in the bottle or just be bumping along as we have been for the last 13 years. This job is not one of the premier jobs in the nfl at this point.

Thanks for spending time with the rabble.

I'll say it again.... ain't no wins and aint no losses in the offseason. We don't know what we've got. Would you buy a house without being certain of it's structure, quality, the investment it may need? Same thing with the Bills. By the beginning of October we'll have a good look at what this team is and where it is going. Until then, don't sip the koolaid, don't buy tix, don't buy Bills merchandise, because folks, you don't know what the product is that you are buying.

The Bills FO has put it up our a$$es for the past 13 years. Make these bastards work their a$$es off and earn back our trust and confidence. There is only one way to do that.... Ws.

jw.

What I find more intriguing and substative than the Marrone hiring is who had the final authority in the hiring and decision-making process. Who made the decision to hire him? Of course this is a collaborative effort. But someone has the final say that this deal is sealed. Since the Brandon elevation is Nix the actual GM or is Whaley the person in authorty? Is Nix being phased out after this draft; how much influence does he have in this draft and selection of players? If Nix has the same authority in this draft then what has really changed?

Who cares that the company line is tightly controlled? That is the norm in the business of the NFL. What did you expect? If you were working in the New England market how much useful information would you get from Belichick and his crew?

John, dig, and then dig some more. Asking the standard trite questions is going to get you and your colleagues the same boring prepared answers. Dig John, dig beneath the surface. The staged press conferences with the same boring answers are in general useless. Dig, John, dig. You are not going learn anything useful from the stage at OBD.

Regurgitating the company line is not going to inform your readers. Find out what is going on with hound dog effort. Do more sniffing. Find out what is really goiing on by listening to the second and third level people. That is where the bone of actual information is. You will find nothing but fluff from the stage at OBD.

Edited by JohnC

Thinking on this and trying to draw in what JW did not saying can only wonder if...

-thedefensive conversion to 3-4 could be a factor in his frustration

-the parade of coaches to join the staff when some good ones were available that succeeded with players that were not expected to do much or had little success prior - Chandler, Jones, etc.

-Brandom talking to talk that his FO will surpass all means necessary for success yet not being transparent in their doing so, especially when there is glaring evidence they may not have done so...

Nonetheless, thanks for spending time with us folk JW. Great post and thoughts... especially for 2:07am!

If by mid April after combines, senior games, etc, Nassib were to be projected as a mid- 1st rounder, would the board then explode, and if so why?? No reason then! If he's still viewed as a 3rd rounder and they draft at #8, then yes, but really doubt that's going to happen. Is he going to jump to 1st rounder, not clue at all, would be a stretch, but considering the extra value put on QB's and wouldn't shock me to see the top rated QB's, Barkley and Smith drop, could see it happening.

One problem the Bill's will have is everyone is viewing the Bill's as a team likely to draft him likely at the expected level he's ranked at. If another team is also eying him, could see a number of trades to jump up over the Bill's. So if they do want him, they likely will have to select him earlier than he's viewed to go and "overpay" for him. If he's expected to go 3rd round, they may have to trade up to the bottom of round 2 to make sure they have him.

If they draft Nassib at #8 I think this board will explode with all the anger and disgust. I won't mind, it just means that the Bills are putting all their eggs in one basket, and it will be interesting to see how the season develops. They will all sink or swim together.

JW... You are my favorite author of Bills articles. You are informed, objective and possess good writing skills. But I can't share your recent skepticism.

Regards the "no stone left unturned" comment. I'm giving Russ and Buddy the benefit of the doubt on this one. I assume they began their due diligence weeks - if not months - before the season ended. Over time, they whittled down the list till they were left with the names we know they actually interviewed. Considering neither Cowher, nor Dungy, nor Gruden were coming out of retirement to take over the Bills, it was a solid list of names.

Personally, I'm happy with the choice. The more "proven" guys weren't compelling options. Lovie has only been to the playoffs 3 times in the past 6 seasons. Whise didn't make it once in the past 3. These guys aren't Lombardi. They aren't even Levy. Marrone could be - it's a roll of the dice. And as an outsider looking in, Marrone seems a safer roll of the dice than Chip Kelly.

As for Brandon 'marketing' the coaching staff. Of course, Russ is doing this. He's a marketer. It's what he does. The more successfully he sells the coaching staff, the more tickets he sells, the greater the chances the Bills remain in Buffalo.

Even Peter King sounds more optimistic about the Bills than you do. I do recall a few people - Bill Cowher noticeably amongst them - praising the Bills move in hiring Chan to lead the team 3 years ago. But it seems to me that Marrone's hiring is getting far more positive buzz from the greater football community. The people who know Marrone seem to genuinely believe he'll be a good HC.

I'm not especially optimistic or pessimistic because I personally don't know enough about Marrone, Pettine, et al to confidently predict the outcome of their hiring. I am happy, though, that Brandon & Nix made some much needed changes. And there are enough reasons to believe the new coaching staff will succeed where the old one failed that I'm excited to see what 2013 might have in store for us.

Edited by hondo in seattle

My first choice was Chip Kelly. None of the other candidates excited me. From a best of the worst standpoint, i thought and posted that I wouldn't mind Lovie ONLY if he brought in a dynamic OC and let him run the offense. The hiring of Marrone, combined with the hiring of Pettine, still has me thinking this is the second best combination of all of the coaching hires, and even closer to Chip Kelly than before, considering that I think Pettine a much, much better hire than Todd Grantham for the Eagles.

And regardless of the no stone left unturned argument. This board, especially in the last few years (okay, decade), mostly a "show me the baby" mindset. Show me results. The result of this search, right now, to me, is they did pretty good overall if not very good, considering what happened elsewhere. They didn't get the best guy but they did well, IMO.

We'll see the results over the next few years.

Frankly, I think that Russ Brandon is great at his job, but I hardly believe a word he says publicly.

I was going to start a thread a week or two ago after I heard him say something that I thought wasn't very wise to say publicly, regardless of its validity and practice. On WGR, Brandon said something about "I've always told our guys (the Bills brass) I want vigorous internal arguments, and external unity." I can't recall the exact words but that is what he said. He wants them to express their opinions, even if it's in opposition to him and others behind closed doors, but wants to appear in public that everyone is on the same page.

In other words, you can't believe a word he says in public, and I don't.

I understand it. I know it goes on, and perhaps it should. But it's basically admitting publicly they are lying to us. I don't think he should have said it at all.

Again, I like Brandon and think he's great at his job. You just can't trust what he says in public because he's a marketer and PR man at heart and also puts things in the most glowing terms regardless of the facts and truth.

jw.

I too hope Marrone succeeds, and suffer from skepticism as the coaching staff fills with Syracuse cronies of limited NFL experience.

As to" the clear desire on the part of the Buffalo Bills to "market" this coach and his staff to the public with team-generated, spoon-fed questions and quotes. there appears to be a want and desire to "market" this choice, without the glare of actual objective questioning" (emphasis mine), isn't that the job of the news media - your job - to turn the glare of objective questioning on the situation? Everyone everywhere desires to put their best foot forward and control how they present themselves, that's only natural. Are the Bills doing something that prevents the news media from doing their job?

But it's basically admitting publicly they are lying to us. I don't think he should have said it at all.

Why does it have to be lying?

I take that quote to mean that after a consensus decision is made (based on internal give and take), OBD personnel should publically stand behind it. Nothing more than any other heirarchical organization would do...

I like the pick. I like the idea that we did this quick so he did not get hired by some other team. Glad we did not go with one of the coaches that got fired. I would have been ok with lovie out of all of them.

The usual suspects are euphoric over the Marrone hire. Others will take a more tempered approach before jumping into Brandons 2013 pool of kool-aid. Apparently, some if not all of the Buffalo press corp are not swimming in it either so far.

The fact that Nix is still in Buffalo and was not swept out with the coaching trash speaks volumes on this new "vision" that Brandon spoke of. Nix is a scout not a GM the past 3 years are proof of how a poor GM he is. If nix has a finger on the upcoming draft he has the potential too drown the baby yet again in Brandon's pool.

As for the C. Kelly "interview" it was over before it began. Doubtful there was little if any serious interest from Buffalo. Just a little turd polishing to give the "exhaustive" approach some legs.

jw.

I don't care how bright, driven, and likable Brandon is...And I do like him...I don't even care that he says things that make me feel warm and fuzzy about being a Bills fan...The truth is anyone that stands in front of a crowd of Bills fans and media, with a straight face, and claims that Buddy Nix is one of the top talent evaluators in the game is going to be second guessed by me and a ton of other Bills fans...Our football side is in good hands? What? Come on Russ you had me at hello, and lost me again in the span of 5-10 minutes... :cry:

Edited by KOKBILLS

[/size]

Why does it have to be lying?

I take that quote to mean that after a consensus decision is made (based on internal give and take), OBD personnel should publically stand behind it. Nothing more than any other heirarchical organization would do...

Because I don't think those internal arguments hardly ever create "consensus decisions." They may eventually all agree to something in the "Are you okay with this choice because if you're not I'm going to pull rank and overrule you anyway?" scenario.

If Nix is in power and he ranks Marrone #1 and Whisenhunt #2, and Whaley is second in command and ranks Whisenhunt #1 and Lovie and Marrone 2a and 2b, I don't really think that order changes much during "rigorous internal debate." It may but it likely doesn't. They come to a consensus because the lower powered guys say I like Marrone, too, I can live with that, there is a lot to like about him. But if it were their decision they would still go with the guy they like the most which may not be what their immediate superior's choice is.

Then, to the public, they come out and say "Marrone was our unanimous consensus choice all along", which is nonsense.

I'm not saying that is what happened, just using a hypothetical.

Didn't Buddy/Russ explicitly state on 1/1/13 that if/when they find the right guy they would hire him? They didn't wait for Gus Bradley, Mike McCoy, Jay Gruden and didn't interview Trestman, but is it crazy that they acted when they were impressed with Marrone and 8 teams scrambling for a new head coach and a relatively small number of quality candidates?

I don't care how bright, driven, and likable Brandon is...And I do like him...I don't even care than he says things that make me feel warm and fuzzy about being a Bills fan...The truth is anyone that stands in front of a crowd of Bills fans and media, with a straight face, and claims that Buddy Nix is one of the top talent evaluators in the game is going to be second guessed by me and a ton of other Bills fans...Our football side is in good hands? What? Come on Russ you had me at hello, and lost me again in the span of 5-10 minutes... :cry:

I understand what you're saying, but that opinion has also been expressed by the likes of Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter--- based on collective sentiment from around the league. That doesn't make Nix a great (or even average) GM, though.

Because I don't think those internal arguments hardly ever create "consensus decisions." They may eventually all agree to something in the "Are you okay with this choice because if you're not I'm going to pull rank and overrule you anyway?" scenario.

If Nix is in power and he ranks Marrone #1 and Whisenhunt #2, and Whaley is second in command and ranks Whisenhunt #1 and Lovie and Marrone 2a and 2b, I don't really think that order changes much during "rigorous internal debate." It may but it likely doesn't. They come to a consensus because the lower powered guys say I like Marrone, too, I can live with that, there is a lot to like about him. But if it were their decision they would still go with the guy they like the most which may not be what their immediate superior's choice is.

Then, to the public, they come out and say "Marrone was our unanimous consensus choice all along", which is nonsense.

I'm not saying that is what happened, just using a hypothetical.

Now you're twisting Brandon's words, because that's not what was said. Lurker is right, every higherarchial organization has internal dissent but they have a unified public face, usually through an official spokesman.