my skepticism

I am sorry jw, it remains unclear to me just what stone was not turned? The two hot college coaches Kelly, and Marrone were the ones being displayed by the talking heads. The Bills interviewed both and hired one of them. What gem was hiding under what stone that was missed by Brandon? What unemployed former NFL coach was missed?

Isn't Brandon's job to put a spit shine on his new coach? Controlling negative questions seems reasonable to me in this day and age, this is why people have jobs as press agents and PR people. All that aside, I do appreciate you jw for actually posting a debatable topic. as opposed to the many statements of absurdity that has graced the topic page the past month.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also sckeptical. I learned how to put a team of doers together in the business world. I understand he brought in a lot a guys he knew, because he had a connection with them, especially from a communication point of view. BUT, he has made two mistakes in my view. 1) No holdovers from the old staff. HIS team will lack a lot in terms of knowing the relevant background of the players. He should have retained a couple of the old staff based on merit. For example, Bruce Dehaven would have made sense to me, even Pete Metzlars. But, he brought in a special teams coach from Detroit with subpar results. Reminds me of the Wade Phillips/ronnie Jones fiasco of a decade ago. 2) I learned through verious transitions and assembling teams, a difference of opionion is a good thing, I worry all his gumba's on this staff will not push his thinking. Seriously thinking about not renewing my season ticket package, not sure this guy can get it done. HIs organizational moves have been weak in my view. Likely another three and out regime, don't know why I should pay to see that.

I am also sckeptical. I learned how to put a team of doers together in the business world. I understand he brought in a lot a guys he knew, because he had a connection with them, especially from a communication point of view. BUT, he has made two mistakes in my view. 1) No holdovers from the old staff. HIS team will lack a lot in terms of knowing the relevant background of the players. He should have retained a couple of the old staff based on merit. For example, Bruce Dehaven would have made sense to me, even Pete Metzlars. But, he brought in a special teams coach from Detroit with subpar results. Reminds me of the Wade Phillips/ronnie Jones fiasco of a decade ago. 2) I learned through verious transitions and assembling teams, a difference of opionion is a good thing, I worry all his gumba's on this staff will not push his thinking. Seriously thinking about not renewing my season ticket package, not sure this guy can get it done. HIs organizational moves have been weak in my view. Likely another three and out regime, don't know why I should pay to see that.

Yet you renewed when Gailey was hired?

Edited by first_and_ten

I am sorry jw, it remains unclear to me just what stone was not turned? The two hot college coaches Kelly, and Marrone were the ones being displayed by the talking heads. The Bills interviewed both and hired one of them. What gem was hiding under what stone that was missed by Brandon? What unemployed former NFL coach was missed?

I agree with this; there were 7 teams looking for coaches and the Bills were certainly not going to be the top choice of most/any candidates. The longer the Bills waited to fill the position the more likely they were to end up with another "retread" that everyone would have screamed about. Sometimes you have to move quickly to get the results you want.

This coaching staff has disaster written all over. Inexperienced Syracuse cronies and inept former NFl assistants Add in incompetent front office in Nix and Whaley equals a top ten pick in 2014.

If there's one thing I love about this board, it's the unbridled optimism. :thumbsup:

He denied it a few different times in a few different contexts, saying there simply wasn't time to watch all the film on the Bills to evaluate players. He seemed to have little idea or opinion on any of the players on the Bills last year.

Do we really believe a coach being pursued by numerous teams wouldn't evaluate the pros/cons of each job? I find it easier to believe Marrone did "evaluate" several teams and their players, just not to the exhaustive extent it was represented by Schefter.

Well- stated. Obviously, if he was running a business, he'd be questioned.

But Bills fans are an easy sell.

BTW, my recollection is that Shefter reported that Marrone had done intensive video study of all the teams he might interview with and determined that Buffalo had the best talent.

I don't recall any rumor stating that Marrone made a video presentation to teams he was interviewing with.

Small point maybe but anyways, that's the report I recall.

None of the hires were exciting. 1 retread, 1 hot college coach and a bunch of who is this guy? (Andy Reid - Kansas City, Chip Kelly - Philly, Marc Trestman - Chicago, Gus Bradley - Jacksonville, Mike McCoy - SD, Rob Chudzinski - Cleveland, Bruce Arians - Arizona and Doug Marrone - Buffalo.) 8 vacancies and not 1 big name that was available was hired. Is this a mass conspiracy? Lets all hire second rate head coaches and leave all the really good candidates on the shelf. I don't thinks so. I know that it may not cross many minds but maybe guys like Cowher and Jon Grunden don't want to coach again. They have cushy TV jobs and none of the head aches associated with coaching.

Wondering "what big name was available?" is probably what Brandon was thinking, unfortunately.

As he was turning over stones, ( or not)...he might have found a few like this:

-Gus Bradley turned the Seahawks defense from one of the worst in the league to one of the best (No. 1 scoring D in 2012). Top 10 D the last 2 years.

-Darrell Bevell- Bradley's offensive counterpart, turned Seattle's offense into a top 10 offense with a 3rd round rookie QB and a Bills' cast off at RB.

-Rob Chudzinki - Did one of the more remarkable offensive turnarounds in recent memory. Prior to 2011, the Panthers offense was the worst in the NFL, by far. They were averaging 12 points per game. They ended up 4th in the league a year later. He was the one that actually made Derek Anderson a one year wonder in Cleveland. How he ever got a top 10 offense in Cleveland, even for a year, is incredible.

-Greg Roman- OC San Fran. Created a top 10 offense in the NFL with Alex Smith, and later with a 2nd round, 2nd year QB. Fewest turnovers in the league. Coaching in the NFC championship game today.

-Vic Fangio- DC San Fran. Probably the best D in the league since he's got there.

-Bruce Arians- was originally brought in to groom a rookie QB on the worst team in the league, what was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Right before the season started, he found out he would be taking over the entire team. Not only did he groom his QB, he took his team to the playoffs.

That's a short list. It doesn't include any asst. coach from NE, or Balt, or Atl, Pitt. or any other college coach, of which there are many good ones.

That doesn't mean you choose all of these guys. Obviously, that's impossible. But how do you claim to :"turn over every stone" and conduct an "exhaustive and thorough" search, without considering, much less interviewing, a single coach from a playoff team, (you know, the successful ones)?

I think this is what Mr. Wawrow is getting at. The claim of "turning over every stone" is at odds with the actions of this situation.

Due diligence, like due process, varies under the circumstances of a particular situation. In this situation, where a team has not made the playoffs for 13 years, is going on its 7th coach in a little more than a decade, and has failed on its last 4 coaching hires, I'd say due diligence requires a little more from your non-football decision making CEO than "Hey, I know this guy!"

Wondering "what big name was available?" is probably what Brandon was thinking, unfortunately.

As he was turning over stones, ( or not)...he might have found a few like this:

-Gus Bradley turned the Seahawks defense from one of the worst in the league to one of the best (No. 1 scoring D in 2012). Top 10 D the last 2 years.

-Darrell Bevell- Bradley's offensive counterpart, turned Seattle's offense into a top 10 offense with a 3rd round rookie QB and a Bills' cast off at RB.

-Rob Chudzinki - Did one of the more remarkable offensive turnarounds in recent memory. Prior to 2011, the Panthers offense was the worst in the NFL, by far. They were averaging 12 points per game. They ended up 4th in the league a year later. He was the one that actually made Derek Anderson a one year wonder in Cleveland. How he ever got a top 10 offense in Cleveland, even for a year, is incredible.

-Greg Roman- OC San Fran. Created a top 10 offense in the NFL with Alex Smith, and later with a 2nd round, 2nd year QB. Fewest turnovers in the league. Coaching in the NFC championship game today.

-Vic Fangio- DC San Fran. Probably the best D in the league since he's got there.

-Bruce Arians- was originally brought in to groom a rookie QB on the worst team in the league, what was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Right before the season started, he found out he would be taking over the entire team. Not only did he groom his QB, he took his team to the playoffs.

That's a short list. It doesn't include any asst. coach from NE, or Balt, or Atl, Pitt. or any other college coach, of which there are many good ones.

That doesn't mean you choose all of these guys. Obviously, that's impossible. But how do you claim to :"turn over every stone" and conduct an "exhaustive and thorough" search, without considering, much less interviewing, a single coach from a playoff team, (you know, the successful ones)?

I think this is what Mr. Wawrow is getting at. The claim of "turning over every stone" is at odds with the actions of this situation.

Due diligence, like due process, varies under the circumstances of a particular situation. In this situation, where a team has not made the playoffs for 13 years, is going on its 7th coach in a little more than a decade, and has failed on its last 4 coaching hires, I'd say due diligence requires a little more from your non-football decision making CEO than "Hey, I know this guy!"

Can you tell me what all of the people that you mentioned lack? That's right, experience as a HC. Marrone left the NFL for Syracuse to get some HC experience. That to me gives him the edge over everyone you mentioned. He has NFL experience as a coordinator and position coach and also experience as a HC. None of the other candidates that you mentioned have that.

Can you tell me what all of the people that you mentioned lack?

A friendship with Russ Brandon?

That's right, experience as a HC. Marrone left the NFL for Syracuse to get some HC experience. That to me gives him the edge over everyone you mentioned. He has NFL experience as a coordinator and position coach and also experience as a HC. None of the other candidates that you mentioned have that.

Ah, so if a guy runs a top NFL offense, or top NFL defense, they are eliminated from consideration because they don't have head coaching experience.

But if they do have head coaching experience and are looking for a job, they are a "retread".

I like that.

Certainly cuts down on the interviews.

Were there any other differences between the 2010 Panthers offense and the 2011-12 Panthers offense? I can think of at least one.

For the record, Carolina's offense started the 2012 season as an absolute tire fire although they did eventually right the ship.

In addition to the "no stone left unturned" comment, they also said in the same press conference that they would hire the right guy as soon as they identified him. Arians, Fangio, Roman, Bradley, and Bevell were all still coaching in the Wild Card playoff weekend. The Bills met with Marrone as many as 4 times. If Marrone didn't impress, it is possible the candidates still coaching wpuld have been interviewed. Do you know for certain this would not have been the case?

My only beef with this argument is that it requires mental gymnastics to make it work. They said they'd hire the right man for the job when they identified him. They interviewed several candidates. Then they hired a guy. If Marrone isn't the right coach, we'll know very soon.

Were there any other differences between the 2010 Panthers offense and the 2011-12 Panthers offense? I can think of at least one.

For the record, Carolina's offense started the 2012 season as an absolute tire fire although they did eventually right the ship.

In addition to the "no stone left unturned" comment, they also said in the same press conference that they would hire the right guy as soon as they identified him. Arians, Fangio, Roman, Bradley, and Bevell were all still coaching in the Wild Card playoff weekend. The Bills met with Marrone as many as 4 times. If Marrone didn't impress, it is possible the candidates still coaching wpuld have been interviewed. Do you know for certain this would not have been the case?

My only beef with this argument is that it requires mental gymnastics to make it work. They said they'd hire the right man for the job when they identified him. They interviewed several candidates. Then they hired a guy. If Marrone isn't the right coach, we'll know very soon.

What difference does it make if the search wasn't exhaustive or detailed like as stated. Russ Brandon got his man! This is Buffalo and the Buffalo Bills we are talking about. Ralph Wilson still owns the team, and with that fact there are many questions that people like Bill Cowher / Chip Kelly would want answered. Whereas Marrone is just happy as a clam to have one of the 32 Jobs as an NFL HC.

At least this hire was not of someone who was completely out of football the year prior to being hired, nor was he fired as an assistant coach two weeks before the start of that season. In my mind that's about as equal as Gailey cutting Trent Edwards two weeks into the season in 2010 and another team picking Edwards up in 2011 and immediately making him the starting QB. The Gailey hiring reeked of desperation at the time, and Buddy Nix is an idiot for stating mid season that Gailey is one of the best offensive minds in the league. If that were even near true then why doesn't the man have another HCing job yet? Oh wait, he is still getting paid by the Buffalo Bills to do nothing right?

Russ Brandon put his future in the hands of Doug Marrone, and should Marrone fail hard Brandon will get all the blame for this hire, and not Nix / Whaley / Wilson. Yea, we will know very soon if this were the right choice.

The thought occurred to me that maybe it's as good of a year to find a "franchise coach" as it is to find a franchise QB. When the NFL changes coaches about 7 per year, sooner or later, the good candidates are all used up.

Have the Bills assembled a good staff? Who knows. I suspect that much will depend on how well the boy wonder does with the offense. I agree that some effort has been made to spin this hire, but what did you expect from Russ Brandon?

let's be clear on a few things here. i chose "skepticism" on purpose, not "doubt" or "concern" or "feelings of doom."

for those suggesting that i reveal sources or report what i know, well, that's just it. from everything that i know, this is what i've come up with: a kind of "i don't know." and yet i can't ignore the feelings of being skeptical in the wake of this latest "new era" that's supposed to be different from the other "new eras" when it's quite evident that the only changes that have been made are at the coaching level, something this team has gone through more than once before.

i'll also state this: my initial choice for coach was Whisenhunt (and also heard good things about Tom Cable and perhaps Jay Gruden). and my choice for coach when they hired Gregg Williams was John Fox. and my choice for coach when the Bills hired Jauron was not Jauron.

and my choice before they hired Chan was actually Perry Fewell, though i told friends and colleagues that Perry was the "right coach" at the wrong time. Buddy wanted someone with experience and it's unclear whether the fanbase would support someone who was so connected to Jauron, especially after the fire'em all billboards went up.

so, having been to this rodeo more than once in my 13 years here, i have developed a level of "skepticism" particularly after how last season unraveled. hopes were dashed and very little changed, particularly the record. and what happens amid all this is a good man gets fired and the promise of "an exhaustive" search lasts a mere four days when it's particularly clear there were far more stones that could've been turned.

if Russ Brandon is in this for the long run, then why rush to make a decision? i don't know. that's not been explained except the comment from Buddy Nix in which he said they found their man. well, what was the rush. if Doug Marrone was the man, why talk to Chip Kelly and Lovie Smith? and why go so far as to set up an interview with Mike McCoy only to have that postponed by McCoy.

a franchise that's had one real sniff at the playoffs in 13 seasons, i think, should do more to uncover all stones rather than tip over a few and leave the rest for others. is the expectation to win next season? well, that's not clear. and if it's not, and another rebuilding process is in order with a new quarterback and, most definitely, a new coaching staff then where does that leave anyone at this point? two, three years away?

well, if that's the case, then why not wait until after the Super Bowl to come up with more than a modest list of candidates that can be pored over. too often over these past five coaching searches, the Bills have rushed to find their man in essentially the first couple of weeks of January.

Gregg Williams was hired on Feb. 1, or about three weeks after the titans were eliminated from the playoffs.

Mike Mularkey was hired on Jan. 15

Jauron was hired on Jan. 23, but two weeks after Mularkey resigned.

Gailey was hired on Jan. 20, three weeks after Buddy Nix took over.

And then there was Doug Marrone, who needed only five or so days to make an impression.

wouldn't a longer wait to find the man be thinking out of the box. ... heck, the Eagles, who have actually been to the playoffs were in the process of interviewing numerous candidates before Chip Kelly apparently reconsidered. so what is it in which Doug Marrone blew the Bills away in four or five interviews?

funny, i don't recall anyone ever saying except for vague references that he was the man.

maybe he is. for his sake and for the sake of a win-starved fanbase, i hope that's the case.

as i wrote, i hope this one works, because there's nothing as exhausting in the writing business as covering a coaching search.

that said, is it fair to say that the Bills really interviewed only four coaches and a "Rooney Rule" candidate. it could turn out that Horton was the most qualified, who knows.

as for my other point, can i not wonder why there has been such a desire to keep Doug and his staff under wraps, except for a few inhouse-conducted interviews with vaguely and safely crafted questions. i worry when people play their cards too close to their vests. it opens the door to skepticism, ergo this thread.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

and since no one at OBD is willing to talk except to the team-controlled radio show and its website, it certainly opens the door to questions, no?

jw

Would you happen to know how common this is amongst other teams for this time of year in today's NFL?

don't know. don't care. don't cover other teams. either way, the truth eventually comes out.

jw

Fair enough. I'm not crazy about the Orwellian environment at OBD you portray but I certainly appreciate you disclosing it.

JW

Thanks for starting this thread and giving your opinion. I often find myself looking for opinion pieces from informed individuals. I like to hear opinion and not just read facts, but I want informed opinion not someone who may cover the team or does some research. I want someone that is around and has history with the team. Thanks.

Wait, you wanted Whis, who the Bills interviewed several times, but you feel they weren't exhaustive enough? Not sure how to reconcile that position.

Very easy to reconcile. He may have wanted Whiz, but he isn't skeptical because the Bills chose someone else. He is skeptical because of the haste in which the coach [and his staff] was chosen when the decree from OBD was "leave no stone unturned", and the apparent "hands off" stance the Bills are currently in regarding the coaching staff.

I am also skeptical, but hopeful. But honestly I don't see a lot to get excited about at this point.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Very easy to reconcile. He may have wanted Whiz, but he isn't skeptical because the Bills chose someone else. He is skeptical because of the haste in which the coach [and his staff] was chosen when the decree from OBD was "leave no stone unturned", and the apparent "hands off" stance the Bills are currently in regarding the coaching staff.

I am also skeptical, but hopeful. But honestly I don't see a lot to get excited about at this point.

Haste? OBD did plenty of due diligence BEFORE Gailey was fired (I'm assuming). While they liked Marrone from the get-go, they interviewed him 5 times before hiring him. Who else should they have interviewed? Once they found their man, they hired him before someone else did and we ended up with dregs again.

Hands off? So what? This means nothing. Some coaches and teams are more transparent that others. I don't really care. I just want wins and I don't think there's any correlation between transparency and win-loss perception.

Bottom line, I agree there's not a lot to get excited about. None of the available candidates made me excited. All of them - Chip Kelly included - have question marks and concerns.

I just don't see any reason for skepticism either. I think Russ, Nix, Whaley and the staff did massive amounts of homework on their list of candidates. And, based on that, Russ believes they got the right guy to turn the team around.

Dungy or Cowher would have excited me. But given the realities of our options, I'm good with Marrone. I would have been depressed if we had kept Chan & Wanny. Now I'm thinking, "Well, at least there's a chance the sun might rise tomorrow."

About the only thing they could have done differently was wait to interview the coordinators still coaching in the playoffs. However I believe they interviewed Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians is over 60 and had to go to the hospital the morning of his team's biggest game of the year, and Gus Bradley is the only other coach they didn't interview who was hired as a HC, and he isn't giving anyone a thrill up their leg. And by waiting, they may have lost-out on Pettine and his crew.

don't know. don't care. don't cover other teams. either way, the truth eventually comes out.

jw

At this point what does it matter what the truth is? The issue now is his performance. For me the bigger issue is the performance of the front office with respect to the draft and free agency. If Nix is still the dominant force in the front office then what has really changed in the organization?

In my view Brandon made a major mistake in not relieving Nix of his duties. That would have been a clear statement to the fan base that a new level of accountability was going to be established at OBD. That didn't happen. Skepticism is a reasonable approach to take.

About the only thing they could have done differently was wait to interview the coordinators still coaching in the playoffs. However I believe they interviewed Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians is over 60 and had to go to the hospital the morning of his team's biggest game of the year, and Gus Bradley is the only other coach they didn't interview who was hired as a HC, and he isn't giving anyone a thrill up their leg. And by waiting, they may have lost-out on Pettine and his crew.

Agreed. They took a new approach by NOT waiting until the cupboard was bare (as in past coaching hires) and went with the second hottest college coaching candidate actually looking for an NFL job (and the only one with NFL experience) when it became apparent that Chip Kelly was not interested in a small market franchise.

http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2012/11/26/peter-kings-15-head-coaching-candidates/

Anyway, I took the whole "due diligence" slant to be code words for "controlled media access..."

Haste? OBD did plenty of due diligence BEFORE Gailey was fired (I'm assuming). While they liked Marrone from the get-go, they interviewed him 5 times before hiring him. Who else should they have interviewed? Once they found their man, they hired him before someone else did and we ended up with dregs again.

Hands off? So what? This means nothing. Some coaches and teams are more transparent that others. I don't really care. I just want wins and I don't think there's any correlation between transparency and win-loss perception.

Bottom line, I agree there's not a lot to get excited about. None of the available candidates made me excited. All of them - Chip Kelly included - have question marks and concerns.

I just don't see any reason for skepticism either. I think Russ, Nix, Whaley and the staff did massive amounts of homework on their list of candidates. And, based on that, Russ believes they got the right guy to turn the team around.

Dungy or Cowher would have excited me. But given the realities of our options, I'm good with Marrone. I would have been depressed if we had kept Chan & Wanny. Now I'm thinking, "Well, at least there's a chance the sun might rise tomorrow."

The Bills coaching carousel the past 13 years does not give me any confidence in Russ's ability to know the right guy to turn the team around if he bit him on the ass. But 100% new staff and one would assume a rookie QB so I guess they get a pass next year. So once again we will see in 2 or 3 years if both Marrone and his hiring of his buddies works out.

FWIW I like the Jets D coaching hires and I also feel like the sun just might rise tomorrow, or at least next season. But maybe it's just the Pats getting their asses handed to them yesterday putting me in a good mood ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

At this point what does it matter what the truth is? The issue now is his performance. For me the bigger issue is the performance of the front office with respect to the draft and free agency. If Nix is still the dominant force in the front office then what has really changed in the organization?

In my view Brandon made a major mistake in not relieving Nix of his duties. That would have been a clear statement to the fan base that a new level of accountability was going to be established at OBD. That didn't happen. Skepticism is a reasonable approach to take.

with respect, my mention of the truth was in reference to the truth coming out once the next season begins, as in: you can't hide performance.

jw

and since no one at OBD is willing to talk except to the team-controlled radio show and its website, it certainly opens the door to questions, no?

jw

Aye, there's the rub. That's what I've sensed since the moment Russ came out and announced the organizational changes. The Bills have decided to operate differently than they have in the past, and none of the local media know what to do with that. You're correct, jw, not much will be revealed until we see results on the field. We can ask all the questions we want.

jw

It's fine to question. But personally if I was Brandon, I'd much rather shield my head coach and FO staff from pesky media availabilities and instead let him focus on:

- getting the new staff on the same page

- draft research

- player/roster evaluation

- free agent negotiations

- building offensive & defensive schemes

- planning OTA's and training camp schedules

A college coach coming into the NFL doesn't exactly have a "template" for effectively planning all these activities at the NFL level and according to the NFL calendar. I'm all for having him huddle in a back room and figure all of this out, as opposed to satisfying the media's curiosity. Sorry JW!

Edited by BillnutinHouston

John maybe Morrone really was the browns second choice.......and Chip started wavering so the bills hired him before they actually lost him?

Its my take that as soon as Brandon was convinced he had found the right guy, he hired him.

I'm just as skeptical as most, and yet after reading that some of the Syracuse football teams players quit once they found out what kind of task master had taken control of their team. It made me look deeper into this new HC's background.

"The first year for those boys is probably going to be pretty rough, especially in training camp, those sort of things, because he's going to want to find out who's going to stick with him when times are tough,"

This coming from an ex Buffalo Bills player. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130117/doug-marrone-bills/

Marrone is an ex-O linemen in the NFL, and an ex-O line coach which to me sounds an awful lot like another ex Buffalo Bills HC by the name of Chuck Knox. I'm not saying he is a Knox clone, just thinking he might just be tho. Look at the two teams in the super bowl this year, both noted for being dominate running teams. I think most Bills fans would welcome a HC with a tendency to pound the ball like the Ravens and 49ers.

I look back at coaches like Dick Jauron / Chan Gailey both well liked by everyone who they worked with, and the Bills players loved Jauron and played their hearts out for him. I'm sure Ken Wisenhunt is another good guy, but he would never be my choice for HC because all three men, tho all well liked, are not winners. Lets face facts, 9-7 / 10-6 although winning records, just won't win the division in the AFC East.

The Bills need a tough as nails offensive-minded coach with a reputation for being a disciplinarian, along with the ability to turn around a losing program. Remember the line by Marv Levy When its too tough for them, its just right for us" Thats the type of HC the Buffalo Bills need, and not another "nice guys finish last" type of HC.

The Big question? Will Marrone be capable of building a team to compete with Bills Belichick? We already know his choice for DC was able to beat Brady many times during his time with the Jets. Plus his defensive philosophy is an “attacking style of defense” that is “relentless” and does not “sit back and let offenses dictate to us.” Rather then the bend but don't break of Jauron's schemes or the vanilla rush only the front four of Wannstedt.

On an a different note, its good to know you joined us as a concerned skeptical Bills fan :D Welcome to the "we care too damn much club".

It's fine to question. But personally if I was Brandon, I'd much rather shield my head coach and FO staff from pesky media availabilities and instead let him focus on:

- getting the new staff on the same page

- draft research

- player/roster evaluation

- free agent negotiations

- building offensive & defensive schemes

- planning OTA's and training camp schedules

A college coach coming into the NFL doesn't exactly have a "template" for effectively planning all these activities at the NFL level and according to the NFL calendar. I'm all for having him huddle in a back room and figure all of this out, as opposed to satisfying the media's curiosity. Sorry JW!

These are excellent points, but if Brandon wants to change the perception of the franchise he should look at the team's track record with the media. Too often this organization has been described as a black hole for information by the media. One would think initially after the hire Marrone and his new staff especially Hackett and Pettine would be available to discuss what their vision for the Bills Future is. Local reporters such as JW, Mark Gaughan and Tim Graham should have access to inside info long before Espn.