The Bills are on the clock: Pick 33

Process

I just realized I won't be happy with anyone they pick. I got sucked into the "trade up for Odunze" hype train and now everyone looks like a compromise. I hate predraft speculation because it creates unrealistic expectations.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

All the remaining WR's have flaws. Opinions are fun but nobody here (or amongst the teams) knows at all which guys will overcome those flaws and which won't. For that reason I hope we choose 2 WR in the next 4 picks.

My preference at 33 is Mitchell, but it seems like there's still quite a few possibilities (including another trade) that would make some sense.

Franklin wouldn't anger me either...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sweat may make it to round 3.

I’d love AD & Franklin as well

He won't make it that far. I imagine we'll see a big push on defense in the middle of the second round because people think they can hold off on these receivers lasting until the 3rd and 4th

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

No. Please no 

It would really ruin my draft weekend.

Of all the round two caliber WRs left, I can honestly say that Keon Coleman is the one I want the LEAST.

Just...absolutely not the type of player I want. Ugh.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I just realized I won't be happy with anyone they pick. I got sucked into the "trade up for Odunze" hype train and now everyone looks like a compromise. I hate predraft speculation because it creates unrealistic expectations.

I wanted a trade-up, too.

That said...If they were to take, say, Troy Franklin, and then later on circle back and take Javon Baker...

I'd be pretty happy with that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

The premium Washington is paying for that move is approximate value of a mid-3rd. I don't think they'd touch that. The most Beane can reasonably expect as a bidding-war premium is the value of a low 4th. The goal here is to get Buffalo to where they have 4 to 5 of the top-100 picks. Washington can facilitate that if they have a target and want to pay a premium to go to 33.

Something like 33 + 95 + 128 for 40 + 67 + 100. Washington pays a premium close to the value of the 128 pick by allowing Buffalo to upgrade the two lower picks, leaving Buffalo picking at: 40, 60, 67, 100.

This configuration seems to align nicely to present value players for Bills roster needs in those slots.

I don't think I'd like to drop to 40.  The run on receivers could wipe out the top targets.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

It would really ruin my draft weekend.

Of all the round two caliber WRs left, I can honestly say that Keon Coleman is the one I want the LEAST.

Just...absolutely not the type of player I want. Ugh.

This, and for whatever reason I just don't look at any FSU players coming from a culture that works. That Florida State attitude of the 80s and 90s has dried up. 

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

That is NOWHERE near fair value for them. Have you ever looked at a trade value chart?

We would be giving 268 and receiving 315 which is equivalent to them just flushing a mid 3rd rd pick down the toilet

I'm scared of AD Mitchell, he has huge upside but he takes plays off and could wind up being a huge flop and a headache. I'd rather take McConkey, who has a lower ceiling and a higher floor.

I did...and realized it was lopsided.  But that's my point.  I would only trade down again if the Bills got a boatload and the trading team payed a premium.

• Like (+1) 1

What's funny to me is during our TSW Mock Drafts (thanks as always @Virgil) we drafted AD Mitchell in the 1st one. The board was then ready to vote for AD Mitchell a 2nd time, but we couldn't choose the same player twice. In real life, the Bills trade back twice to pick up a 3rd and 5th, have the first pick in the 2nd Round, AD MITCHELL IS STILL ON THE BOARD, and people are losing their collective minds because the Chiefs got a guy who runs fast. Hilarious. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

This, and for whatever reason I just don't look at any FSU players coming from a culture that works. That Florida State attitude of the 80s and 90s has dried up. 

Keon Coleman is reportedly very high football character. He is motivated to do well in the NFL so he can provide for his family. He is definitely a character fit for us. Physically he has the tools that I know Beane would love. And he's young, just about to turn 21 in May.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

What's funny to me is during our TSW Mock Drafts (thanks as always @Virgil) we drafted AD Mitchell in the 1st one. The board was then ready to vote for AD Mitchell a 2nd time, but we couldn't choose the same player twice. In real life, the Bills trade back twice to pick up a 3rd and 5th, have the first pick in the 2nd Round, AD MITCHELL IS STILL ON THE BOARD, and people are losing their collective minds because the Chiefs got a guy who runs fast. Hilarious. 

Pff. Now we don't want him. 😁🤣

Just now, HappyDays said:

Keon Coleman is reportedly very high football character. He is motivated to do well in the NFL so he can provide for his family. He is definitely a character fit for us. Physically he has the tools that I know Beane would love. And he's young, just about to turn 21 in May.

What does it mean his family?  If you already has a baby mama and associated baby, or more then that's a no for me dog

I don’t hate Coleman as the pick.  He was a beast at FSU. At one point was being mocked as a mid to earlier 1st round pick.  Doesn’t have the speed/separation as some of these other guys

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can't get past the fact that in all the highlights from FSU and MSU, he is never once shown running behind the defense. That that's in college, where guys get WIDE open all the time. He has good hands, but can he make those contested catches over Sauce Gardner and Jalen Ramsay?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ok sounds good to me. I’m more focused on my menu tonight. Excited about all our picks though. Friday is always the best day of the draft. Can’t wait to say ***** the chefs when we take a stud with their 3rd. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, LEBills said:

And fwiw Charlie Campbell is saying he is hearing McConkey and Coleman for the Bills

Well, I want Mitchell and McConkey. @HappyDays wants Coleman and Franklin. I'll split the difference if he will.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

I just hated trading with the Chiefs, that's the only part of trading back I disliked, I wouldn't be upset with Franklin or Mitchell at this point. It just felt like get your lunch money taken by the school bully in the middle of summer, like can you leave us alone for a few months?

Going into this draft, I had the top 3 WRs going in the top 10 and I had 2 other WRs, BTJ and Legette rated as first rounders.  Then, I had a bunch of WRs all rated about the same as 2nd rounders.  Coleman was not one of these guys.......

I don't even have him rated as a 3rd rounder.  If we went through all we did last night and end up with Coleman at 33, this would be super disappointing.  There was one WR in this draft that I didn't want to touch at all unless it got into later in Day 3 and that was Coleman.  Ugh....  I've given Beane the benefit of the doubt more often than not, but if he comes out of this with Coleman as his top pick, I'm sorry......I will hate it.  He'd make a much better TE than WR.  He just can't separate as a WR.  And, if you can't separate in college, you aren't getting open in the NFL.  I could give two craps about 50/50 catches.  All that shows me is that you can't separate.

I'm not saying he can't turn into a great player someday down the road.  Who knows.  But he won't help us win a Super Bowl this year or probably over the next couple years either.  He's not a player you go into a game fearing or having to game plan for.  At best, he is a slower Gabe Davis.  At worst, he's Kelvin Benjamin and will be out of the league in a few years.  He's not someone I want to hitch my wagon to at all.

Edited by sven233

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Keon Coleman :sick:

GMHx9gdaIAAoX3S?format=jpg&name=medium

I just don't see how the fella being only 21 means he is going to grow into a boundary receiver. And if he has to play from the slot to be effective, he's taking Kincaid off the field. Mitchell at least is what they need. If you think the consistency issues are fixable, he has to be the play. If you trade out of #33, I think you're not getting him. Coleman and Franklin might fall. I still think McConkey is going to be an excellent player. I guess we'll see, but Beane has to get 2 WRs tonight, imo.

• Like (+1) 3

Ok...lets look at the next 10 teams on the clock behind the Bills to see where we could maybe make another move to.  I highly doubt we go even that far, Beane was ready to pick at 32 and made clear he doesn't want to go way down in the 2nd and already turned those offers down at 28.  Maybe he gets one too good to pass up, but since we know he prefers to stay close, I am only looking at the next 10 picks.  

33 (580) - BUF:  WR, S, DL, CB, IOL are all areas we could take a player from, and all have guys we could take at 33 here.  But we know WR is the most pressing need.

34 (560) - NE:  Near lock to be offense and either OL or WR, probably WR.  

35 (550) - ARI:  Its not gonna be a WR, it will be Newton, Cooper, Kool-Aid, JPJ, or Frazier most likely.    

36 (540) - WAS:  They are focused on OL help

37 (530) - LAC:  Sure bet to be a WR

38 (520) - TEN:  Solid chance could be WR

39 (510) - CAR:  Highly unlikely it will be WR

40 (500) - WAS:  Moderate chance it could be WR

41 (490) - GB:  Unlikely to be WR

42 (480) - HOU:  No chance it will be WR

So if the Bills wanted to trade back, there are only maybe 3 teams that could very well take a WR.  NE at 34, LAC at 37, and maybe TEN at 38.  So I think the Bills can maybe move back within the 30's still and feel good about still getting one of Franklin, Mitchell, McConkey, and Coleman if they like all 4 which they spent a lot of time with all 4.  Then there is still possibly Tez Walker later they spent a lot of time with too.  

My guess, if Beane moves again it would probably be with Washington at 36 to say ahead of the Chargers.  Only one team likely to take a WR between those picks (of course a team can always trade up too), but would assure us one of the 4 they have shown the most interest in.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, H2o said:

At some point, you just have to get your guy before someone else does. I think they stand pat and take Franklin. 

We'll see. But if I were a betting man, then I would put $$$ on Franklin being #33. 

He may very well be the pick.

But as for him always being "their guy" - he wasn't and isn't. "Their guy" to me implies someone that they love over others and had to have. It's clear with how they let WR needy teams have our picks to take WR's that they weren't worried which WR they took. 

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Do you have Franklin's? I have been hearing about how he's all vertical routes but I remember his tree being surprisingly versatile 

I've been notoriously against McConkey. But that was in comparison to Thomas, Legette, and Worthy - who I felt we'd have a shot at. We did and we passed on them.

At this point, i'd take McConkey over anyone but AD Mitchell. For who's left, I'd be disappointed if we went WR at 33 and it wasn't Mitchell or McConkey. If it's Franklin or Coleman, I'd prefer another move down and would only be fully on board if Mitchell and McConkey were off the board.

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

But as for him always being "their guy" - he wasn't and isn't. "Their guy" to me implies someone that they love over others and had to have. It's clear with how they let WR needy teams have our picks to take WR's that they weren't worried which WR they took. 

I've been notoriously against McConkey. But that was in comparison to Thomas, Legette, and Worthy - who I felt we'd have a shot at. We did and we passed on them.

At this point, i'd take McConkey over anyone but AD Mitchell. For who's left, I'd be disappointed if we went WR at 33 and it wasn't Mitchell or McConkey. If it's Franklin or Coleman, I'd prefer another move down and would only be fully on board if Mitchell and McConkey were off the board.

I'm really hoping Beane can find a way to get both Mitchell and McConkey. I think if he trades out of #33, that won't happen. He would have to take one and trade up from #60 to try to get the other. It would probably cost a 2025 second. I've been higher on McConkey than most, I guess. I think he'd be a perfect player to complement Kincaid, and if you add a boundary X, the WR room goes from deficient to promising.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Too many red flags with AD Mitchell. Health and character. If an adult can’t manage his health, takes plays  off and has been rumored to have attitude problems ..  hard pass.

9 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Coleman is Q. Johnstone to me, and the one wr I don't covet

6 minutes ago, balln said:

Kelvin Benjamin. 

To be a bit optimistic both the Athletic and ESPN list Cortland Sutton as Colemans comp. 

All the sites I looked at have Coleman in the 7-10 range WR rankings so it wouldn't be a reach. I also expect the Bills to double dip at WR so a more twitchy player will also be added. Not saying it is my favorite WR idea but getting Coleman shouldn't be immediately dismissed as a bad pick. 

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

genuinely struggling to see any upside with Coleman

He’s a more expensive Gabe Davis. I don’t get the hype. 

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Please no DeJean

No Coleman

I'd prefer we just trade back another 3-5 spots so that Beane can get enough ammunition to get back in to the 2nd round

He's already in the second round at #60. He probably wants to move up from there and get two top forty picks.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills only better be trading back if they are 100% certain no other team is going to go after the receiver they are targeting.   Way to big a gamble and miss out and have to go into the season with maybe the worst WR group in the NFL.