The Bills are on the clock: Pick 33

Process

2 minutes ago, HerdMentality said:

Yes but, crucially: That board was not made by Brandon Beane and his staff.

I like DeJean, too. It would be a very logical pick.

I'm just saying...draft boards vary wildly.

Edited by Logic

I want Mitchell at 33 firstly but I wouldn't be upset if we swapped with WAS for picks 40&100

They have 3 3rds...

Get Franklin/Coleman/Conkley at 40, a DT at 60, a Safety and Tez Walker in the 3rd...

Still got ammo to move up in rd 3 or acquire another 4th...

That's potentially 6 players within the next 3 rds with starter potential or fills needs and you still have 4 picks in rds 5-7 for depth and camp bodies

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would curb your expectations...Beane made it pretty clear this isn't a move he thinks we need like we did when we traded for Diggs.  I think this is less likely than the thought we would trade a bounty to move up in the draft.  

Nothing is off the table or impossible, just saying, this was always unlikely based on everything Beane has said, our cap situation, etc.  And then the 3 WR contracts to the 2 Eagles WR and St. Brown happened making this even more unlikely as the price on these guys contracts will be even higher now.  

So just wouldn't get your hopes up even though I wouldn't 100% rule it out either as you never know, just very unlikely.  

I think a move for a trade for a WR that requires a lot of draft capital and money is unlikely.  But I would think Beane would be interested in getting a veteran who is on a decent contract for some lower draft capital.   DHop at $13M, DJ Moore at $15M, C Godwin or maybe DK Metcalf.  Beane bought himself a whole day to see what he can get.

A veteran plus a McConkey/Franklin/Coleman would be a home run to me.

2 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

I agree, but the draft isn’t over after pick 33. 

If we take Dejean here and still get someone like Franklin later in the second, thats the better combination of value based on what’s left, you have to agree with that. If we’ve waited until now, we can still add a player soon-ish.

We already missed out on the top end prospects. No undoing that. Now we make the best of what’s left. 

I think they like Franklin, but I have a bad feeling that he isn’t as good as the Bills apparently think he is.

• Disagree 1

Make a deal for Aiyouk using next years draft resources and maybe a pick this year.  Every wr left is a crap shoot.  Take the proven guy and grab Cooper D @ 33. Win , win!

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Make a deal for Aiyouk using next years draft resources and maybe a pick this year.  Every wr left is a crap shoot.  Take the proven guy and grab Cooper D @ 33. Win , win!

You ready to pay Aiyuk $25-30m(maybe more) per, plus the draft capital to acquire him?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

You ready to pay Aiyuk $25-30m(maybe more) per, plus the draft capital to acquire him?

He would be expensive.  A proven receiver isn’t coming free or on the cheap.  Any wr left on the board here is a big risk…

Edited by PayDaBill$

12 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think a move for a trade for a WR that requires a lot of draft capital and money is unlikely.  But I would think Beane would be interested in getting a veteran who is on a decent contract for some lower draft capital.   DHop at $13M, DJ Moore at $15M, C Godwin or maybe DK Metcalf.  Beane bought himself a whole day to see what he can get.

If that happened with a vet receiver would it be announced at the draft?

13 minutes ago, HerdMentality said:

Here's the thing about that board, it's made to be a general draft guide, it's not specific for this team. There are 2nd and 3rd rd rated receivers who may not be a fit for what we need. I would rather have McConkey + a 3rd rd value on this board paired with Bullard or Taylor-Emerson at 60 over DeJean + a 3rd rd graded player like Polk or Troy Franklin + someone else. Similary - Johnny Newton is great value, but he is a penetrated similar to Kris Jenkins, who should be there are 60. So it's really pick your poison.

Can we even make a trade for Aiyuk or Higgins if we wanted to?  I thought that a player traded for would need to fit under the acquiring team's cap before it can be consummated.  Would not be able to do that with Aiyuk or Higgins at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Some believe that DeJean is a future 4-5x all-pro.  If Beane views him as that I don't see how he could pass on him. Very likely is the BPA at this point as well.

However there are players that fit the bill at 4 positions there right now.

Newton at DT, DeJean at S/CB, McKinstrey at CB and Mitchell at WR.

They could maybe be OK with taking any of those 4 and maybe be willing to move down 3 picks and take whatever one is left or pick from those 4...

Beane has a ton of options right now in this spot.

No doubt on the DeJean point. I imagine he is by far the best rated player available still, but I still want a WR instead if I had my way, as irrational as it may be!

1 minute ago, PayDaBill$ said:

A proven receiver isn’t coming free or on the cheap.  Any wr left on the board here is a big risk…

So, you are okay with giving up either 33 or next years 1, plus a 5 year $150 mil contract for him?

I'm fairly certain the Bills currently CAN'T trade for any of the WRs people are discussing, because they wouldn't fit under the salary cap. 

Until the June 1st money kicks in, the Bills have under $5million available.

My understanding is that you can't negotiate a new contract with a player who is currently on another team.

So short of the trading team eating a VERY significant portion of the cap hit, I literally don't think it's even POSSIBLE for the Bills to trade for Aiyuk or Higgins right now.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think they like Franklin, but I have a bad feeling that he isn’t as good as the Bills apparently think he is.

Analytics AND eye test says otherwise

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Welcome to Buffalo Ayouk!!! Love it!

For two 2nd round pix. Beane just fleeced everyone!!! Love it. You watch.

it’s A I Y U K

& we’ll see….

13 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I know Mitchell is the obvious projection, but I think we'll draft McConkey.

AD is physical against press man and shakes off contact.  McConkey will be mauled

7 minutes ago, london_bills said:

If that happened with a vet receiver would it be announced at the draft?

Definitely.  And having this extra day could help.  Chicago for instance has very few picks left and they now have a lot tied up in WR - K Allen/DJ Moore and now Rome.   K Allen or DJ Moore may be available.

Tenn bought Ridley and has the 1st round pick from last year, so DHop and his attractive $13M salary might be able to be obtained kind of cheaply - especially if they want to add one of these potentially good second tier WRs.  

Tampa may want to revise there big investment in the WR room - they just upped M Evans and have C Godwin.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I could see the possibility of a vet...but no idea why Bears would move DJ Moore, that isn't happening nor should it.  Godwin doesn't make a lot of sense for our WR room right now and has had injury issues.  DHop maybe, but depends on what it would take.  I mean would we want a 1 year rental on DHop over say taking another WR with the pick we would use to take him?  I would think the lower cost and youth would be more attractive than 1 year of DHop at this point unless DHop was gonna for sure get us over the hump.  

With DK, I am not sure what his contract situation is or what it would take to get him away from Seattle.  But I am not even sure he is really available either.  

But I do agree with your premise that a less costly vet is a potential option.

37 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So, you are okay with giving up either 33 or next years 1, plus a 5 year $150 mil contract for him?

Cap is the real issue, he’s not getting $30 mil anywhere.

Edited by PayDaBill$

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

If by some act of God we land both Mitchell & Franklin today, I will be ecstatic. 

either take AD at 33 and trade up from 60

or trade down a few spots again hopefully picking up another 3rd and then go get both

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

DeJean would be very good on this defense. Versatile guy, makes a lot of plays. Gives you a lot of options in coverage.

I’m not saying I don’t like him. Just think it’s going to happen. 

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I could see the possibility of a vet...but no idea why Bears would move DJ Moore, that isn't happening nor should it.  Godwin doesn't make a lot of sense for our WR room right now and has had injury issues.  DHop maybe, but depends on what it would take.  I mean would we want a 1 year rental on DHop over say taking another WR with the pick we would use to take him?  I would think the lower cost and youth would be more attractive than 1 year of DHop at this point unless DHop was gonna for sure get us over the hump.  

With DK, I am not sure what his contract situation is or what it would take to get him away from Seattle.  But I am not even sure he is really available either.  

But I do agree with your premise that a less costly vet is a potential option.

You think a lower cost, 4th to 5th rounder WR is going to be more attractive than DHop?  Or K Allen.

And yes, I'm thinking short term for this vet.  The hope would be our other WR that we take can ascend into the WR1 role - be it McConkey/Franklin/Coleman or AD.  And I am also hoping the FO keeps putting draft resources into the WR position, isn't 2 years from now supposed to be a great WR draft? (again).

No one will for sure get us over the hump, but I have always felt the best chance to get the big prize was to be a contender for multiple years.  We lost our top WR in Diggs and I don't think a rookie is anywhere near an adequate replacement.

There's plenty of chances for movement on day two for the Bills. Washington is one team where there's potential. Philadelphia is another. Could possibly move up in the 3rd round with TB. Beane has the Queen to move around the chess board

5 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

No one will for sure get us over the hump, but I have always felt the best chance to get the big prize was to be a contender for multiple years.  We lost our top WR in Diggs and I don't think a rookie is anywhere near an adequate replacement.

Why is everyone worried about "replacing Diggs' and Davis' production"? The last half of the season Diggs and Davis weren't replacing Diggs' and Davis' production, Shakir and Kincaid were.

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Analytics AND eye test says otherwise

Where do the reputable analysts rate Franklin?  Not very high.  What eye test did he pass.  I’ve watched multiple games of his and all of his combine on field work.  I see a very thin guy who is fast, but not ultra fast and doesn’t have instant acceleration as evidenced by his poor 10yd split in the 40.  His hands are pretty small and he is not strong enough tobexcel at contested catches.  The combine was poor with his inability to run anything close to a straight line in the gauntlet drill and him falling running routes against air.

Now, clearly he produced big plays in college, but the PAC 12 isn’t exactly known for their defense.  I think he can be a complementary receiver in the NFL, but I am not expecting a star and in spite of his good speed I think he will struggle as a deep threat due to his lack of strength preventing fighting for contested catches.

If the Bills pick him, I will hope that I am wrong about him, but he would not be my pick.

14 hours ago, Lost said:

Mitchell is probably the only way to salvage this nightmare of a draft at this point. 

Butttt they could’ve gotten Mitchell at 28 and everyone would’ve been fine with it haha how is it a nightmare of a draft getting extra free pick upgrades and the same guy that everyone was cool with taking earlier 😂

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Where do the reputable analysts rate Franklin?  Not very high.  What eye test did he pass.  I’ve watched multiple games of his and all of his combine on field work.  I see a very thin guy who is fast, but not ultra fast and doesn’t have instant acceleration as evidenced by his poor 10yd split in the 40.  His hands are pretty small and he is not strong enough tobexcel at contested catches.  The combine was poor with his inability to run anything close to a straight line in the gauntlet drill and him falling running routes against air.

Now, clearly he produced big plays in college, but the PAC 12 isn’t exactly known for their defense.  I think he can be a complementary receiver in the NFL, but I am not expecting a star and in spite of his good speed I think he will struggle as a deep threat due to his lack of strength preventing fighting for contested catches.

If the Bills pick him, I will hope that I am wrong about him, but he would not be my pick.

Bills seem to love him. What receiver do you like best?

2 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Why is everyone worried about "replacing Diggs' and Davis' production"? The last half of the season Diggs and Davis weren't replacing Diggs' and Davis' production, Shakir and Kincaid were.

For me, it's not the production, it's having good players.  We need more good players - yes, Shakir and Kincaid are good.  But right now we're replacing Diggs and Davis with Samuel and ?(Hollins??).  What a downgrade.

IMO to stay one of the top contenders we need another good WR - really 2, one can be a rookie though.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

We spent a lot of time with DeJean, Franklin and Walker pre-draft. I think tomorrow, we either go DeJean and Walker, or Franklin and ??

Yep. That is what it looks like. Good points about pre draft visits Virgil. ty