Off Topic: Sabres rehire Lindy Ruff as Head Coach

Do we know contract length?  Fewer years tells me they are giving him the reigns, but could separate much easier.  Long contract tells me they believe he is the long term answer. Love the guy, but 3 year contract tops.  They have to have the mindset to move on as soon as they are not where they need to be.  Can’t get into another Granato scenario.

He is a much better coach than any we’ve had in some time.  He will demand more from his players, and hopefully they but into him. 5 wins more this season and we’d have made the playoffs, Lindy should be able to get that out of this team.

For me? I’ll be paying more attention to the team.  Got some good players, but need to see grit all the time. Ruff will bring that.

Edited by davefan66
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, transient said:

Well, it’s better than re-hiring Ted Nolan… time will tell how much. 

I’m hoping that Adams made the decision to fire Granato some time ago and gauged the interest of other currently unemployed coaches.

I suspect, however, that Adams knows his job is on the line and Ruff is a desperate panic hire given their familiarity with one another with Adams having previously been on Ruff’s staff. 

Hoping it works, but certainly tempering my enthusiasm (despite being a big fan of Ruff during his first stint).

To those citing his lack of a Cup, he got them there and came close with a much less talented team than the Stars, and their best chance was derailed by a freakish run of defensive injuries against Carolina. It was certainly not a coaching issue in either of those seasons. Can’t speak to his time outside of Buffalo. 

Nolan got fired after leading a weak team to the conference semi finals. They were tremendous overachievers . . . Jason Dawe, Brian Holzinger . . . not elite talent.  How can you fire a guy after winning a playoff series? Not to mention, that was the year Hasek got hurt in the postseason  (or was he faking?) and he still managed to win a playoff series with Steve Shields in net.  Don't understand how anyone can dog him. Hasek wanted him out so they pushed him out.

Then he had two seasons with the Isles and made the playoffs in one of them. Isles at the time were infamously dysfunctional 

As far as his second stint in Buffalo . . . it hardly seems right to hold it against him after the LaFontaine fiasco. Management was dysfunctional.

Ted Nolan got shafted hardcore. Never got a fair shake and it's a shame. Not saying they should hire him now. But someone certainly should.  

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet
  • Like (+1) 1

As I recall, Ruff was pretty good with Dallas and he did lead the NJ Devils to 52 wins and 112 points last year.  The Devils got poor goaltending this season which Ruff paid the price for.  I'm not inspired by this hire either, but I've always liked Lindy and he has an edge to him that this team needs.  Hoping for the best.

Edited by zow2

4 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Nolan got fired after leading a weak team to the conference semi finals. They were tremendous overachievers . . . Jason Dawe, Brian Holzinger . . . not elite talent.  How can you fire a guy after winning a playoff series? Not to mention, that was the year Hasek got hurt in the postseason  (or was he faking?) and he still managed to win a playoff series with Steve Shields in net.  Don't understand how anyone can dog him. Hasek wanted him out so they pushed him out.

Then he had two seasons with the Isles and made the playoffs in one of them. Isles at the time were infamously dysfunctional 

As far as his second stint in Buffalo . . . it hardly seems right to hold it against him after the LaFontaine fiasco. Management was dysfunctional.

Ted Nolan got shafted hardcore. Never got a fair shake and it's a shame. Not saying they should hire him now. But someone certainly should.  

Technically Nolan wasn’t fired, Regier upon his hiring, opted not to retain him and offered him an underwhelming 1 yr contract. Given the ongoing headache between Muckler, Hasek, and Nolan during the preceding season, one could hardly blame Regier for being wary, and in hindsight Ruff over Nolan was obviously the right call. 

Ruff is a good choice to right the ship.  I doubt we're going to win a cup with him at the helm, but I also don't think we're going to stick around as a perennial joke in the NHL with his leadership either. 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, buffblue said:

If they went through an extensive head coach search, were turned down by a few top candidates, and determined Lindy to be the best option? Yes

If they went the nostalgia route and didn't even conduct interviews (which is likely what happened)? No

Do you follow hockey? They fire guys on Monday and hire a new guy by the next game on Wednesday.

The Sabres are acting like a real NHL team. This is what they do. There doesn’t need to be an extensive search because everyone knows about these guys. They’ve been hired by 3-4 teams already.

Ruff is right up there with all the other candidates. This not a nostalgia hire. He’s exactly what the GM said he wanted. He’s a better fit than some of the other guys because of how well he works with young teams.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Do we know contract length?  Fewer years tells me they are giving him the reigns, but could separate much easier.  Long contract tells me they believe he is the long term answer. Love the guy, but 3 year contract tops.  They have to have the mindset to move on as soon as they are not where they need to be.  Can’t get into another Granato scenario.

He is a much better coach than any we’ve had in some time.  He will demand more from his players, and hopefully they but into him. 5 wins more this season and we’d have made the playoffs, Lindy should be able to get that out of this team.

For me? I’ll be paying more attention to the team.  Got some good players, but need to see grit all the time. Ruff will bring that.

2 year contract.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Rubes said:

2 year contract.

That's a relief. I have low expectations, it's a good thing they can cut bait soon.

Lindy's record in NJ is the same as Granato's record in Buffalo. The fan boys tell me it is because Lindy had poor goaltenders in NJ. I think that is a weak rationalization of poor performance.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Do you follow hockey? They fire guys on Monday and hire a new guy by the next game on Wednesday.

The Sabres are acting like a real NHL team. This is what they do. There doesn’t need to be an extensive search because everyone knows about these guys. They’ve been hired by 3-4 teams already.

Ruff is right up there with all the other candidates. This not a nostalgia hire. He’s exactly what the GM said he wanted. He’s a better fit than some of the other guys because of how well he works with young teams.

Terry, is that you?

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

After Buffalo, Lindy had a losing record with Dallas which he followed with a losing record with New Jersey.  I don't know a lot about hockey but in sports, generally, losing is considered a bad thing.  So I don't know why hiring Lindy is considered a good thing?  

Ruff's record with the Dallas Stars was 165-122-41. His record with the Devils was 128-125-28.

Under him, two years ago New Jersey had its best points total ever, going 52-22-8. 

In his eight seasons with other teams since he left the Sabres, he made the playoff three times.  

• Like (+1) 2

I haven't followed the Sabres closely in years - since the original Ruff era.

My general take on the team is that it very much resembles the drought-era Bills - bad culture, meddling ownership, and an uncertain future.  They are a long way from building a contender and need a fixer-type coach or hockey operations guy that knows how to win and will purge the organization of its cruft.

Lindy doesn't strike me as the guy that will do this.  I think he will toughen up the team but I don't think he has what it takes to get them to a division title or a deep playoff run.  I do, however, think there's a good chance he gets the team back in the playoffs as a lower seed.  If that is the goal - and perhaps that's an appropriate one given the drought - then I think this will be a successful hire.  Otherwise, if there are delusions of Ruff bringing Buffalo a Stanley Cup... prepare to be disappointed.

• Disagree 1

58 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Ruff's record with the Dallas Stars was 165-122-41. His record with the Devils was 128-125-28.

Under him, two years ago New Jersey had its best points total ever, going 52-22-8. 

In his eight seasons with other teams since he left the Sabres, he made the playoff three times.  

My bad... I was looking at his playoff records.  Feel somewhat better now.  

53 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

They are a long way from building a contender

No, they're not.  They should have been in the playoffs this season; the roster is loaded with young talent and the farm system is excellent.  They need structure, discipline, and the experienced leadership of someone who knows how to get them where they want to go.

If you know Brindamour isn't leaving Carolina you are hard pressed to find a better hire for this team at this time...

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Sounds like they’re desperate. He was fired for a reason. 

Devils had 112 points last year and finished with less points than the Sabres this year. They had a ton of injuries but the goaltending was super bad.

I look at Ruff as this: a 2 year try out to get the team to the playoffs, after 2 years they'll either give him another year or so or move on but my hope is he pushes this team. They are capable of making it to the playoffs and winning a round

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

he coached 3 other teams since he last  coached the Sabres.  He was in Jersey last year.

We know this. But, he still lives in Clarence.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Sounds like they’re desperate. He was fired for a reason. 

He's gotten two separate teams to 50 wins since he left the Sabres. He's a competent coach.

News flash, all NHL head coaches get fired frequently. 25/32 current NHL head coaches have been with their teams 2 years or less.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

sabres.thumb.jpg.fe63d2f0b668bee28783f080b943c2cd.jpg

"Man who had more career success than Sabres did without him forced to move back and clean up the sloppy mess the organization has become" is much more accurate title.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

Devils had 112 points last year and finished with less points than the Sabres this year. They had a ton of injuries but the goaltending was super bad.

I look at Ruff as this: a 2 year try out to get the team to the playoffs, after 2 years they'll either give him another year or so or move on but my hope is he pushes this team. They are capable of making it to the playoffs and winning a round

Who needs facts when you can make wild generalizations 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, T&C said:

We know this. But, he still lives in Clarence.

that's some commute

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

"Man who had more career success than Sabres did without him forced to move back and clean up the sloppy mess the organization has become" is much more accurate title.  

he was fired by 3 more  teams  since he was fired by the Sabres.....

3 hours ago, zevo said:

Who needs facts when you can make wild generalizations 

Lmao. You honestly have no idea what you are talking about... but go ahead and point out the "wild" generalizations. 

On 4/22/2024 at 5:42 PM, sleeby said:

Meh.   I seem to remember winning first period, losing second doing some lazy prevent nonsense and then losing the game.  Was glad when he was gone.

Yeah, but you remember some of those games being in the PLAYOFFS too.

13 hours ago, eball said:

No, they're not.  They should have been in the playoffs this season; the roster is loaded with young talent and the farm system is excellent.  They need structure, discipline, and the experienced leadership of someone who knows how to get them where they want to go.

If you know Brindamour isn't leaving Carolina you are hard pressed to find a better hire for this team at this time...

The team is constructed poorly.   We need grinders; tough guys that can score but also check and are capable of dropping the gloves.  We are by a mile the softest team in the league. 

• Eyeroll 1

Liked the press conference. Lindy definitely talks a good game about discipline, hard work and instilling a work ethic with the younger generation.  

He will have a more disciplined team that will win more games. Will he win us a cup?  Need more pieces added to the team before that happens.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

The team is constructed poorly.   We need grinders; tough guys that can score but also check and are capable of dropping the gloves.  We are by a mile the softest team in the league. 

This isn’t the 80s.  You can have grit without needing to be a “fighting” team.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Lmao. You honestly have no idea what you are talking about... but go ahead and point out the "wild" generalizations. 

easy there fella. My response was in regards to BillMafia716ix. 

On 4/22/2024 at 6:58 PM, SoCal Deek said:

It worked with Lou Saban….sort of. 

Lindy might be the same way. Lou came in and said "how do we have OJ, and not use him?" I'm willing to bet Lindy is feeling that way about Dahlin. 

On 4/22/2024 at 5:18 PM, Chandler#81 said:

He’s a very good coach! Granato’s forte is building young teams. Ruff’s forte is making teams tough!

I remember that hit like it was yesterday. 

On 4/22/2024 at 5:49 PM, sleeby said:

"Let me guess, you’re a fire Sean McDermott guy?"

No, but did start to see their point with how our defense plays in the final minutes of close games. 

Lindy had the Sabres lazily skating about in second quarters.  It was boring to watch and frustrating to see our lead disappear. 

Periods, they are periods.  There are 4 quarters, hockey has 3 periods.

• Like (+1) 1