The Dark Horse WR on the Roster (Beane made reference to guys on the roster elevating their play)

Beane, in his sincere attempt to persuade us to believe he doesn't view the lack of a Diggs-size talent on the roster as a gaping hole that he intends to address in the draft, alluded to "young guys on the roster who can ascend, but they have to prove it too".  He made an analogy to Terrell Bernard, who played very little his rookie season then "elevated" in a Big Way last season. "Tremaine Who?"

Thought it might be a good time to profile just who is lurking in the depths of the roster.

In order of seniority:

1) Andy Isabella, 2019 2nd round pick of the Cards (62 overall).  Small fast guy - 5'8 3/4", 29 3/4" arms, 4.31 40-time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Isabella

"Isabella entered the 2021 season sixth on the Cardinals wide receiver depth chart, and only had one catch the entire season and was inactive for half the season."

The Cards brought him through training camp and onto the active roster, but waived him in early Oct 2022.  Since then he's been on the Ravens and Bills practice squad

Draft profile: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/andy-isabella/32004953-4156-2722-bf26-62181351a224
He was a successful RB and State-level winning track star in HS.  "Isabella has the feet and fakes to uncover in a hallway closet, and the former high school sprint champion proved to Georgia that his ability to win deep should not be underestimated. Isabella could become a menace on option routes with the ability to add vertical routes from the slot, but he must improve his pass-catching consistency and smoothness into his breaks in order to transition all that speed to the NFL."

He actually played 34% of the ST snaps for Buffalo last season, but it wasn't as a returner (1 KR to add to 8 previous KR).  He had not previously played much ST.

Chance of elevating as a receiver?  I give this "low" - see I think @Kirby Jackson comments about the odds of success for short receivers with short arms.  Never Say Never but....  On the other hand, if he's learned to live with a screw loose, perhaps he could continue to contribute on ST.

2) KJ Hamler, 2020 2nd round pick of the Broncos (46 overall).  Another small fast guy - 5'8 5/8", 30 3/4" arms, didn't run at combine, said to have 4.27s 40-time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._J._Hamler

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/k.j.-hamler/32004841-4d38-6186-eea5-110d32b9644c

This guy's NFL career to date has been the living demonstration of the lyrics "if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all".  He had a hammy injury at the combine.  He had 30 catches for 381 yds and 3 TD as a rookie, but finished the season on IR with a hammy. 

In his 2nd year, he had a great training camp and went on IR with a torn ACL Week 3.  

In his 3rd year, he played in 7 games but just as he might have been coming up to speed off the ACL, he suffered another hammy and was IR'd again

In his 4th year, he tore his pec training on his own in the off-season then developed pericarditis in July 2023.  Denver had enough and waived him with Non Football Injury.

He spent 2023 on the Colts practice squad, but was not signed to a futures contract after the season.

Chance of elevating as a receiver?  Well, he showed flashes here and there of being able to play in the NFL, but repeated hammies and an ACL make this unlikely unless Beane has directed the equipment staff to cover his locker stall with 4-leaf clovers, hired him a personal leprechaun, and directed one of the training staff to follow him around providing hamstring massage.

3) Justin Shorter, Bills 2023 5th round pick (150 overall).  Big guy - 6'4", 229 lb, 33 3/4" arms, 10" hands.  4.55 40-time.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justin-shorter/32005348-4f65-1252-2fb4-216da3af656d

Spent last season on IR.  

He was the top receiver prospect in the country in 2018, but somehow never delivered on that promise at the college level.  Was benched for dropping passes at Penn State.  Made good at Florida, but was limited his Sr year due to hammy injuries.  Spent his rookie year with the Bills on IR due to (wait for it) hammy injury.

His scouting profile, not that Zierlein is infallible, is not encouraging to me; I translate it as "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".  It praises his physicality and toughness and ability to track the ball and high-point a catch, but also notes below-average foot quickness, slow and linear release that make it hard for him to beat press coverage, and loss of momentum in turns.  Reading between the lines, I kind of get the sense of a guy who might have let his HS success go to his head a bit?

Being on IR meant he could not practice with the team, except for a 3 week "designated for return" interval which saw him returned to IR.

4) Tyrell Shavers, 2023 UDFA from San Diego State after transferring from Alabama to Mississippi to SD State.  Big guy - 6'4", 211 lb, 32 3/8" arms, said to run 4.55 40

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/san-diego-state-2023-nfl-draft-scouting-reports-include-jesse-matthews-alama-uluave-and-tyrell-shavers/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrell_Shavers

He's a bit of a dark horse to me.  He apparently spent 3 seasons at Alabama buried on the depth chart, transferred to Mississippi State, saw some playing time and caught 9 passes for 104 yds, then transferred again.  Had 38 passes for 643 yards, and three touchdowns with SD State and was a ST ace.

Elevate?  Of the preceding 3, I guess I see Shavers as the most likely - he hasn't been injury plagued.  Because he was on PS not IR he could practice with the team all last season.  The PFN draft report says  "Shavers showed a lot of improvement in his game last season, yet he’s unpolished in most aspects of the receiver position. A lack of speed is a major concern" but also "Displays good route discipline, quickly gets out of breaks, and uses his frame to protect the ball. Works across the field to make himself an available target, possesses terrific eye/hand coordination, and comes away with the difficult catch. Tracks the pass in the air, gets vertical, and extends to make the reception away from his frame. Easily adjusts to the errant throw."

Kind of sounds like a guy who potentially could be coached up, if he's willing to put in the work.  Playing speed and burst can be improved by the right training.

5) last dark horse:  Bryan Thompson, UDFA from Utah and AZ State.  6'1", 195 lb, 32 5/8" arms, 4.54s 40.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/arizona-state-2023-nfl-draft-scouting-reports/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Thompson_(American_football)

Didn't do much in college, but the Bills brought him in and quietly kept him on the PS all last season.  PFN had some good things to say about him pre-draft: "

Strengths: Former Utah wideout with an underrated game. Runs sharp routes, stays low exiting breaks, and positions himself to make the reception. Possesses eye/hand coordination, tracks the pass in the air, and gets vertical to make the reception.

Displays strong hands, snatches the fastball from the air, and easily adjusts to the pass to make the catch in stride. Shows focus and eye/hand coordination and makes plenty of difficult catches.

Weaknesses: Not quick releasing off the line of scrimmage. Lacks a deep burst. Marginally productive the past two years at Arizona State and has never caught a touchdown pass.

Overall: Thompson flashed ability over the past two seasons and comes with nice size, speed, and pass-catching ability. He must further develop his game, but Thompson has enough upside to warrant a spot on a practice squad.

OK Fellow Bills Fans, that's all I got.  Since Beane made a reference to sometimes the guys on the roster can elevate, but they have to prove it (and referenced Terrell Bernard) I thought this might be of interest.

Anyone else got any tea to spill on these guys?

Edit: listened to Beane's presser again to clarify that he said "young guys on the roster who can ascend" ie, he's not talking about Mack Hollins or Curtis Samuel

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 13

I mean to me it sounds like he's talking about Khalil Shakir. I know thats not the greatest example but I think they are expecting huge things out of him. My next best guess would be Justin Shorter since Shorter didn't play at all last year much like Bernard in his rookie season and then broke out year 2.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 10

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I mean to me it sounds like he's talking about Khalil Shakir. I know thats not the greatest example but I think they are expecting huge things out of him. My next best guess would be Justin Shorter since Shorter didn't play at all last year much like Bernard in his rookie season and then broke out year 2.

The difference between Bernard and Shorter to me, is that Bernard was practicing with the team and was active for 16 games in 2022 - he mostly played ST, but did get one start and took snaps in 4 other games.  

Shorter, on IR, couldn't even practice with the team.

I think Shakir has shown he's capable of playing in the NFL, but if Beane is counting on him to "elevate" and play a much much larger role -  

We Shall See, I guess.

He was most likely talking about Kincaid and Shakir. In the end, Buffalo may have three or four guys shoulder the load collectively instead of just one.

Buffalo may add a Pearsall or a Polk or a Worthy or Franklin. We may have a deep unit overall but no Batman, just 3-4 Robins working together to get the job done.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Thanks for the effort with the write-ups.........but you played yourself here.

Beane was talking up Dane Jackson like he was a CB1 before he drafted Elam.

It's what he does.   Set the bar of expectations low.  

-"Hmmmm.........maybe WR isn't REALLY a need?   Beane's got this!"

-"Oh, we got a WR in round 1!   I know it wasn't a need but I'm glad Beane got us one.  Dude is a wizard!"

Don't worry, you'll forget Beane even said it later.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t even think Shorter makes the team.

I would be shocked if he did. His only path is in is becoming a special teams star. 

• Disagree 1

47 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Beane, in his sincere attempt to persuade us to believe he doesn't view the lack of a Diggs-size talent on the roster as a gaping hole that he intends to address in the draft, alluded to guys on the roster.  He made an analogy to Terrell Bernard, who played very little his rookie season then "elevated" in a Big Way last season. "Tremaine Who?"

Thought it might be a good time to profile just who is lurking in the depths of the roster.

In order of seniority:

1) Andy Isabella, 2019 2nd round pick of the Cards (62 overall).  Small fast guy - 5'8 3/4", 29 3/4" arms, 4.31 40-time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Isabella

"Isabella entered the 2021 season sixth on the Cardinals wide receiver depth chart, and only had one catch the entire season and was inactive for half the season."

The Cards brought him through training camp and onto the active roster, but waived him in early Oct 2022.  Since then he's been on the Ravens and Bills practice squad

Draft profile: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/andy-isabella/32004953-4156-2722-bf26-62181351a224
He was a successful RB and State-level winning track star in HS.  "Isabella has the feet and fakes to uncover in a hallway closet, and the former high school sprint champion proved to Georgia that his ability to win deep should not be underestimated. Isabella could become a menace on option routes with the ability to add vertical routes from the slot, but he must improve his pass-catching consistency and smoothness into his breaks in order to transition all that speed to the NFL."

He actually played 34% of the ST snaps for Buffalo last season, but it wasn't as a returner (1 KR to add to 8 previous KR).  He had not previously played much ST.

Chance of elevating as a receiver?  I give this "low" - see I think @Kirby Jackson comments about the odds of success for short receivers with short arms.  Never Say Never but....  On the other hand, if he's learned to live with a screw loose, perhaps he could continue to contribute on ST.

2) KJ Hamler, 2020 2nd round pick of the Broncos (46 overall).  Another small fast guy - 5'8 5/8", 30 3/4" arms, didn't run at combine, said to have 4.27s 40-time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._J._Hamler

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/k.j.-hamler/32004841-4d38-6186-eea5-110d32b9644c

This guy's NFL career to date has been the living demonstration of the lyrics "if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all".  He had a hammy injury at the combine.  He had 30 catches for 381 yds and 3 TD as a rookie, but finished the season on IR with a hammy. 

In his 2nd year, he had a great training camp and went on IR with a torn ACL Week 3.  

In his 3rd year, he played in 7 games but just as he might have been coming up to speed off the ACL, he suffered another hammy and was IR'd again

In his 4th year, he tore his pec training on his own in the off-season then developed pericarditis in July 2023.  Denver had enough and waived him with Non Football Injury.

He spent 2023 on the Colts practice squad, but was not signed to a futures contract after the season.

Chance of elevating as a receiver?  Well, he showed flashes here and there of being able to play in the NFL, but repeated hammies and an ACL make this unlikely unless Beane has directed the equipment staff to cover his locker stall with 4-leaf clovers, hired him a personal leprechaun, and directed one of the training staff to follow him around providing hamstring massage.

3) Justin Shorter, Bills 2023 5th round pick (150 overall).  Big guy - 6'4", 229 lb, 33 3/4" arms, 10" hands.  4.55 40-time.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justin-shorter/32005348-4f65-1252-2fb4-216da3af656d

Spent last season on IR.  

He was the top receiver prospect in the country in 2018, but somehow never delivered on that promise at the college level.  Was benched for dropping passes at Penn State.  Made good at Florida, but was limited his Sr year due to hammy injuries.  Spent his rookie year with the Bills on IR due to (wait for it) hammy injury.

His scouting profile, not that Zierlein is infallible, is not encouraging to me; I translate it as "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".  It praises his physicality and toughness and ability to track the ball and high-point a catch, but also notes below-average foot quickness, slow and linear release that make it hard for him to beat press coverage, and loss of momentum in turns.  Reading between the lines, I kind of get the sense of a guy who might have let his HS success go to his head a bit?

Being on IR meant he could not practice with the team, except for a 3 week "designated for return" interval which saw him returned to IR.

4) Tyrell Shavers, 2023 UDFA from San Diego State after transferring from Alabama to Mississippi to SD State.  Big guy - 6'4", 211 lb, 32 3/8" arms, said to run 4.55 40

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/san-diego-state-2023-nfl-draft-scouting-reports-include-jesse-matthews-alama-uluave-and-tyrell-shavers/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrell_Shavers

He's a bit of a dark horse to me.  He apparently spent 3 seasons at Alabama buried on the depth chart, transferred to Mississippi State, saw some playing time and caught 9 passes for 104 yds, then transferred again.  Had 38 passes for 643 yards, and three touchdowns with SD State and was a ST ace.

Elevate?  Of the preceding 3, I guess I see Shavers as the most likely - he hasn't been injury plagued.  Because he was on PS not IR he could practice with the team all last season.  The PFN draft report says  "Shavers showed a lot of improvement in his game last season, yet he’s unpolished in most aspects of the receiver position. A lack of speed is a major concern" but also "Displays good route discipline, quickly gets out of breaks, and uses his frame to protect the ball. Works across the field to make himself an available target, possesses terrific eye/hand coordination, and comes away with the difficult catch. Tracks the pass in the air, gets vertical, and extends to make the reception away from his frame. Easily adjusts to the errant throw."

Kind of sounds like a guy who potentially could be coached up, if he's willing to put in the work.  Playing speed and burst can be improved by the right training.

5) last dark horse:  Bryan Thompson, UDFA from Utah and AZ State.  6'1", 195 lb, 32 5/8" arms, 4.54s 40.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/arizona-state-2023-nfl-draft-scouting-reports/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Thompson_(American_football)

Didn't do much in college, but the Bills brought him in and quietly kept him on the PS all last season.  PFN had some good things to say about him pre-draft: "

OK Fellow Bills Fans, that's all I got.  Since Beane made a reference to sometimes the guys on the roster can elevate, but they have to prove it (and referenced Terrell Bernard) I thought this might be of interest.

Anyone else got any tea to spill on these guys?

These dudes are nothing burgers 

• Haha (+1) 1

all i heard was him saying was vague GM speak..... "we like the group"........"a group of guys with different skill sets......  not a glaring hole."

(total garbage to deflect the fact they have a gaping need at WR1)

"sometimes you have young guys on your roster who you believe can ascend"...

(that's kincaid and shakir for sure)

• Like (+1) 4

Beanes done this discussion almost every offseason leading to draft, be it at DE or CB.

I do think he's counting on Kincaid to take his game to the next level.  And for Shakir to become more consistent, especially at beating man coverage and zone reads. 

But at the end of day, Beane is going to use the draft to fill 2 WR spots (likely a 1st and 4th rounder, IMO).  Focus being on separation/down field threat/versatility.  

• Like (+1) 5

50 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

These dudes are nothing burgers 

Maybe …

Probably even …

But out of interest… what were you thinking about Bernard this time last year ? 

I would still be taking 2 WR early or draft one trade for  one …

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

He was most likely talking about Kincaid and Shakir. In the end, Buffalo may have three or four guys shoulder the load collectively instead of just one.

Buffalo may add a Pearsall or a Polk or a Worthy or Franklin. We may have a deep unit overall but no Batman, just 3-4 Robins working together to get the job done.

I guess that works if the 4 Robins have the collective moxie of 2 Batmans, but as I recall the TV series and movies that didn't seem to be the case.

I come back to Emmanuel Acho's comments about teams having at least 3 "freakazoids" and asking who, besides Allen, are gonna be the Bills "freakazoids" on offense?  Because we can win games without, and even a playoff game without, but when it comes to the best teams contending for championships, I think we need freaks.

Beane strikes me as one of those guys who knows how to communicate his thoughts pretty candidly and for the most part both honestly and diplomatically at the same time. He would never dis his own roster for example and look towards the future positively

Not to say he will totally show his hand / draft strategy or even hints to their draft  board.

NO NFL General manager should be totally "trusted" as to what they divulge pre draft.  WR's WILL be drafted and from all Ive read it is a very talented crop of him to choose

Finding our new #1 WR  would be sweet but especially a guy who excels from a letter round.  I can't wait for the draft

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Maybe …

Probably even …

Me, I'll go.

I was thinking he looked lost in space and slow in the game he played subbing for Milano his rookie season, and I had no expectation that we would see the level of play from him we saw.

Contrary points, Bernard had a scouting report that included this:

Strengths

Scouts rave about his leadership and character.

Never-quit attitude despite adversity.

Film junkie who rang up 100-plus tackles in 2019 and 2021.

Rapid read and response against play-action.

On a continuous quest to go get the football.

Loose and fluid in pursuit and change of direction.

Bends and flattens off the corner as a blitzer.

Speed to cover man targets underneath.

He also was game active for all 16 games and played regular snaps on ST

I did a bit of a deep dive because I wanted to know if there were hints of anything similar in any of the PS WR or last year's rookies.

I personally didn't see it in the stuff I dug up, but maybe I wasn't looking at it right.  I guess the most promising to me based on write-ups would be Bryan Thompson.

20 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Beanes done this discussion almost every offseason leading to draft, be it at DE or CB.

I do think he's counting on Kincaid to take his game to the next level.  And for Shakir to become more consistent, especially at beating man coverage and zone reads. 

But at the end of day, Beane is going to use the draft to fill 2 WR spots (likely a 1st and 4th rounder, IMO).  Focus being on separation/down field threat/versatility.  

It's certainly within the realm of possibility for both Kincaid and Shakir to elevate their games (not sure we'll see Shakir beating man coverage, esp. from the outside).

But when we had a higher level of WR talent in '20 and '21, we had more than 2 guys.

When we only had 2 guys (Brown and Beasley) in '19, it wasn't enough.

Pretty much just Diggs and Davis in 2022, Ditto.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Me, I'll go.

I was thinking he looked lost in space and slow in the game he played subbing for Milano his rookie season, and I had no expectation that we would see the level of play from him we saw.

Contrary points, Bernard had a scouting report that included this:

He also was game active for all 16 games and played regular snaps on ST

I did a bit of a deep dive because I wanted to know if there were hints of anything similar in any of the PS WR or last year's rookies.

I personally didn't see it in the stuff I dug up, but maybe I wasn't looking at it right.  I guess the most promising to me based on write-ups would be Bryan Thompson.

It's certainly within the realm of possibility for both Kincaid and Shakir to elevate their games (not sure we'll see Shakir beating man coverage, esp. from the outside).

But when we had a higher level of WR talent in '20 and '21, we had more than 2 guys.

When we only had 2 guys (Brown and Beasley) in '19, it wasn't enough.

Pretty much just Diggs and Davis in 2022, Ditto.

No argument here, about needing more weapons on offense (regarding your point on prior years).  All in agreement there.

I just don't think any of the guys you listed are capable, and also think this is typical "Beaneisms" this time of year.  

Kincaid/Shakir are the only young ascending players.  Question is still out about their ceiling/development this season.

Beane would be smart to take 2 WRs in one of the deepest classes in quite a while.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

No argument here, about needing more weapons on offense (regarding your point on prior years).  All in agreement there.

I just don't think any of the guys you listed are capable, and also think this is typical "Beaneisms" this time of year.  

Kincaid/Shakir are the only young ascending players.  Question is still out about their ceiling/development this season.

Beane would be smart to take 2 WRs in one of the deepest classes in quite a while.  

I certainly agree with you on that last point, and about Kincaid/Shakir as ascending players.  But as I said previously, 2 receivers isn't enough.  We need at least 4 (IMO).

I can't disagree on evidence as to any of the guys on that list being capable, but Beane did make the analogy to Terrel Bernard and Boy Howdy, this time last year if anyone asked whether any of Terrel Bernard, Baylon Spector, or Tyrell Dodson were capable of holding down starting linebacker spots (much less Dodson and Bernard starting together), I would have said "Hell to the NO!".  Wouldn't you?

And sure, he may have been using typical pre-draft GMspeak to which people who count (other front offices) doubtless pay no attention so, why?

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I certainly agree with you on that last point, and about Kincaid/Shakir as ascending players.  But as I said previously, 2 receivers isn't enough.  We need at least 4 (IMO).

I can't disagree on evidence as to any of the guys on that list being capable, but Beane did make the analogy to Terrel Bernard and Boy Howdy, this time last year if anyone asked whether any of Terrel Bernard, Baylon Spector, or Tyrell Dodson were capable of holding down starting linebacker spots (much less Dodson and Bernard starting together), I would have said "Hell to the NO!".  Wouldn't you?

And sure, he may have been using typical pre-draft GMspeak to which people who count (other front offices) doubtless pay no attention so, why?

Not sure why you keep saying "2 receivers".  My point is simple:

1. Can't believe everything Beane is saying right now.  A couple years ago he mentioned counting on Boogie to take hold of a starting DE spot.  Then proceeded to sign Von.  Same example about talking up Dane, then drafting Elam.  He's always propping his current guys and expecting more of them.

2. Beane is going to draft more WRs.  Likely 2.  So when you say we have "2 receivers", that won't be the case in 9 days.

Our core group for passing targets is likely to be: Samuel, Kincaid, Rd1 pick, Shakir, Rd 4 pick, Cook, Knox

As to who those 2 draft picks will be, that's anyone's opinion as of now.  My "hope" is they take:

Rd 1: Worthy (if there),  or Franklin

Rd4: Javon Baker

Gives us 2 legitimate downfield threats, both guys would be versatile to move around the offense (as Beane/Brady seem to want).  They complement each other's skill sets well, ie: Worthy or Franklin are separators/lean/rely on speed and quicks.... Baker is stronger built/capable blocker/50 50 downfield guy, with good speed.

So when Beane makes it sound like the Justin Shorters or Andy Isabellas of our team are to be relied on, that's just GM speak to me.  We've seen nothing from any of the guys you listed that provides what we need.  More likely they're battling for the last WR spot with Hollins, or against each other if we keep 6.  Either way, not a significant impact to our success in 2024

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Literally wants Shakir to show WR1 potential and talent. JA17 has told Beane as much, so Beane tells us. Those two believe they can pull this off. Make the fans think… Okay, there’s our guy, right there! 

That’s as the roster stands right now. He knows damn well that Samuel better be a good signing. Everyone else is absolutely nobody. He knows the fans know.

Beane is riding with Josh on this one for the Shakir bump to kept the fans from drooling 24/7 over a new WR1 talent. But, Beane knows better too. He says this thing to calm us, but is hard at work to get a top WR in this draft. 

Could you imagine if Beane goes into next season with this WR group + a 2nd round pick. Unless that rookie is an instant game piece, with impact, We better have an improvement ACROSS THE BOARD everywhere else. Better have. RD1 is Edge, RD2 would have to be WR AND S. I think if the Bills pick a second round WR they would have to acquire another R2 pick spent on a R1 talent guy at DLine or S. I don’t know how they get another R2 pick. We have zero players we’d trade for a pick that high. I’m not even sure we have any players worth a R2 pick in a total hypothetical. Maybe Dawkins or Kincaid to a team that’s desperate. I’m not saying the Bills should do that… I don’t think they could even if they wanted to. 

Beane’s getting us a WR. I’ll guarantee it. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t even think Shorter makes the team.

Yeah I like Shorter but it’s feeling very Vosean Joseph like. IRed and then waived in year two. Shorter never play a down. Joseph was picked 1 pick before Dre Greenlaw and a few picks before Andrew Van Ginkel, Blake Cashman and EJ Speed. 

Shorter ofcourse went a few picks before Dantayvion Wicks and Puka Nacua. Now I’m not sure he has an avenue to make the roster. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We had a hole at # 1 WR last season.  This year we have a big hole at the 4 and 5 WR spots.  Hamlet or Shorter are my guess.  Both were big time college recruits that were sidetracked by injuries 

And some knee jerk reactionaries wanted to trade Shakir and draft picks to draft WR lmao

1 minute ago, bmur66 said:

Believe nothing GM's say before the draft. Nothing.

It is lying season.  That being said,  Beane comes across to me as a straight shooter.  He gives info without giving up strategy

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Maybe …

Probably even …

Here's the thing about blind squirrels:

finding the nut is the exception, not the rule

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, bearstobills said:

I'm guessing it's Shorter

If Shorter spend the WHOLE year last year and this on the Juggs then maybe, he's not a natural hands catcher and lets the ball get to his body often hence the drops.

Great breakdown but JA is in his prime and deserves more talented receivers.  Terrell B. was a pleasant surprise AND he played next to one of the best LBs in the league.  We got ride of one of the best WRs in the league so none of the receivers the op mentioned will have that benefit.   

• Haha (+1) 1

Maybe Shakir is in line to be diet Amon-Ra St. Brown (similar build, Shakir a little faster), but I’m not staking my season on it. Beane’s refusal to draft WRs in the early rounds of the draft over the last several drafts have put them in this predicament. Just get a guy or two in here picked early in the draft and roll. I’d also be interested in Aiyuk if the draft doesn’t go our way, but preferably for a pick next year if they do it. 

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Because we can win games without, and even a playoff game without, but when it comes to the best teams contending for championships, I think we need freaks.

Ideally, freaks who don't drop a perfectly placed bomb in his hands at the most clutch moment of the most important game of the year. Nice knowing you, Stef, glad the next time you choke will be against us in the playoffs. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The difference between Bernard and Shorter to me, is that Bernard was practicing with the team and was active for 16 games in 2022 - he mostly played ST, but did get one start and took snaps in 4 other games.  

Shorter, on IR, couldn't even practice with the team.

I think Shakir has shown he's capable of playing in the NFL, but if Beane is counting on him to "elevate" and play a much much larger role -  

We Shall See, I guess.

He might not have physically practiced directly with the team, but I believe he could watch and then work separately.  He said that he really learned and worked hard on improving.  There is no guarantee that he will be good enough, but I think he has put in the work.  I’m not sure that he isn’t as good a prospect as Keon Coleman- both have size and lack desired top end speed and sharp cutting ability.

I would not count on Shorter as an answer as the starter, but it’s possible he shows out.

• Like (+1) 1

With Josh throwing to him instead of Taylor Heineke and Sam Howell, Curtis Samuel will probably up his production a few notches.   Amazing how Beane thinks highly enough about a guy who runs a 4.3 sec  40 and pays him $10m per year, but Bills fans simply ignore the move.  Fans of this team crack me up.  

• Agree 3