Best examples of failed 1st rounders who revived their careers?

Rubes

32 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Not the best example, but when Ted Washington came to Buffalo after 4 years in the league, he played lights out!

I think it’s as good as any. He played for 3 teams in 5 years. Didn’t start for the 49ers for several years. Eventually came to Buffalo after 5 years and turned into pro bowl player. He was a first round pick as well. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

His early years were just before my time, but wouldn't OJ qualify?  Statistically, his 1st 3 yrs he was very mediocre (I think he was hurt for one of them).

No, OJ attained success with same team.  It was unfortunate that the brilliant John Rauch decided he would make him a pass receiving RB.  OJ should say thank you to Lou Saban when he sees him up in…oh, wait a minute…

8 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Steve Young obviously.

Not a new team but a new coach, Alex Smith was a bust until Jim Harbaugh.

Geno Smith?

How far into the 2nd round are you counting as the 1st round?

• Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Special K said:

How about Marshawn Lynch??

Of course, his failures in Buffalo were more off the field....but I think that counts.

Good one. I think he's about as good as any so far.

Still, it's interesting how few and far between the examples are.

• Like (+1) 1

Elam isn't a failed first rounder.  Most of the time when he plays, he plays pretty well.  He has had some key INT's in big games for us at big times and in the endzone.  Pittsburgh in the playoffs last year for example.

For some reason, McD is unwilling to let him play and learn. Injuries have played a part in it, but I don't really understand how almost everytime he is pressed into duty(other than the Jags game where his ankle was basically unable to function properly) and he makes plays that you keep taking him out.

He hasn't been given the opportunity really, and maybe he hasn't earned it in training camp or practice or preseason or whatever.  But Goddamn, how many big plays does he have to make IN REAL LIVE GAMES THAT MATTER before you give him a chance? Does McD have some secret agenda where he simply dislikes him to the point he will only play him if forced to?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

You wait and see, big things are coming for Elam.......big things indeed.

It won't be long before Elam's picture replaces JA's on the Wegmans grocery bags.

I called it here first.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Elam isn't a failed first rounder.  Most of the time when he plays, he plays pretty well.  He has had some key INT's in big games for us at big times and in the endzone.  Pittsburgh in the playoffs last year for example.

For some reason, McD is unwilling to let him play and learn. Injuries have played a part in it, but I don't really understand how almost everytime he is pressed into duty(other than the Jags game where his ankle was basically unable to function properly) and he makes plays that you keep taking him out.

He hasn't been given the opportunity really, and maybe he hasn't earned it in training camp or practice or preseason or whatever.  But Goddamn, how many big plays does he have to make IN REAL LIVE GAMES THAT MATTER before you give him a chance? Does McD have some secret agenda where he simply dislikes him to the point he will only play him if forced to?

They did hire a new coach for the corners (addae), and there is a new defensive coordinator in place (babich).  Previous secondary coach John Butler was also the "passing game coordinator", and Elam's post-season comments seemed to indicate that they may have butted heads a bit.  

9 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They did hire a new coach for the corners (addae), and there is a new defensive coordinator in place (babich).  Previous secondary coach John Butler was also the "passing game coordinator", and Elam's post-season comments seemed to indicate that they may have butted heads a bit.  

What comments did Elam make after the season?

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

2nd rounder

True, but since he was pick #32 of the 2001 draft some have argued that's effectively 1st round.

7 minutes ago, Udubalum07 said:

I would also like to know this.

Jimmy Smith was an early second round pick (36th) for Dallas and did zilch for them. He then went to Jax and put up a HOF-caliber career.

Tony Casillas (#1 overall pick for Atlanta) was a very good player for Dallas in the Jimmy Johnson era.

46 minutes ago, Sweats said:

You wait and see, big things are coming for Elam.......big things indeed.

It won't be long before Elam's picture replaces JA's on the Wegmans grocery bags.

I called it here first.

Or maybe their milk cartons?

43 minutes ago, Udubalum07 said:

It was more a lack of a comment:

Butler and Bills 2022 first-round draft pick Kaiir Elam never seemed to get on the same page since the former Florida product entered the league. At locker cleanout back in January after the Bills lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in the divisional round of the playoffs, Elam expressed his frustration with a disappointing second season.

Elam said he had a great offseason but ultimately lost the competition for the starting number-two cornerback spot and only played in three regular season games (two starts).

When asked about how much he leaned on now former DBs coach Butler, Elam responded with: “No comment.”

• Like (+1) 1

James Farrior possibly. He did have the one good year with the Jets, but not so good they kept him.

Steussie? Good first year but then Belichick buried him on the bench and he was elsewhere his third year.

Kyle Brady, maybe. Had a couple of pretty good years after leaving the Jets.

Gaston Green, arguably. Ironhead Heyward? Used mostly as an FB till he moved to the Falcons.

Testaverde? He was actually pretty decent, but nobody knew it till well into his career.

Depends on how loosely we define "revived career"...but suggest a good example might be Tony Mandarich.

We all know the story of mayhem and self-destruction. And, yet, 4(?) years after his Packer release, he came back for 3 decent seasons w the Colts.

I mention simply b/c I didn't see his name up-thread.

• Like (+1) 3

So 4 pages in, I think it's safe to say... "Not many"

Our best examples have been 2nd rounders and a Supplemental Draft Pick (who had previously lit up the USFL with success).

Jerry Hughes still stands as the best example, imo.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Our best examples have been 2nd rounders and a Supplemental Draft Pick (who had previously lit up the USFL with success).

Lenny Dawson was a total bust in Pittsburgh, became Hall of Famer in KC, Jerry Hughes good but not even close to that.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

It was more a lack of a comment:

Butler and Bills 2022 first-round draft pick Kaiir Elam never seemed to get on the same page since the former Florida product entered the league. At locker cleanout back in January after the Bills lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in the divisional round of the playoffs, Elam expressed his frustration with a disappointing second season.

Elam said he had a great offseason but ultimately lost the competition for the starting number-two cornerback spot and only played in three regular season games (two starts).

When asked about how much he leaned on now former DBs coach Butler, Elam responded with: “No comment.”

OK, point made

Ooooh, not good - Sorry Elam, but you were making technical mistakes during pre-season. 

New DB coach got to put the oven mitts on ya.

Edited by Beck Water

14 hours ago, Special K said:

How about Marshawn Lynch??

Of course, his failures in Buffalo were more off the field....but I think that counts.

Actually I think that Marshawn's failures in Buffalo were due to Dick Jauron's play to not lose by too much philosophy.  

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's my takeaway as well. I think some first rounders who failed to live up to expectations can resurrect their careers elsewhere, but their ceiling is probably more "very good player" than "difference maker/franchise player," as expected of many first-rounders. I don't think that team situation/system/coaching figures in as much as we'd like to think.

Kerry Collins.  He was part of the Giants Super Bowl Team that lost to the ravens.

For all the wr obsessed people, he helped beat the Randy Moss/Chris Carter/Culpepper/smith Vikings 41-0 in the NFC Championship game.

• Haha (+1) 1