WR Treylon Burks

The Titans traded for Calvin Ridley which doesn’t bode well for Burks. Having DeAndre Hopkins, Ridley and the #7 pick overall in this year’s draft puts them in the right position to select one of the top 3 WRs. 

I believe that Beane is going to move up in the draft for either Brian Thomas Jr or Adonai Mitchell but adding another WR is still a real possibility. Being a former 1st rd pick that hasn’t stayed healthy makes Burks expendable. If Beane could get him cheap that would be a low risk high ceiling WR prospect for the Bills imo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 7

One other aspect that could be attractive for Beane, Burks signed a 4 year 14+M contract with half of it already paid (7+M) out. Burks is making just over 3M @ year which would be another benefit for the cash strapped Bills.

• Like (+1) 3

Burks has had injury woes, playing only 22 of a possible 34 games, and has been invisible otherwise for the most part. That's a pass from me. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would be willing to take a flier on him. I think someone suggested a swap of failed first rounders - Burks for Elam - a month or two back and I don't hate that idea. But I wouldn't be giving much up for him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 3

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

why does he have a high ceiling? He's done nothing so far

Size, speed and being a former 1st rd pick. Coming out of college he was suppose to be a AJ Brown clone. Obviously he’s not so far but at one point he was considered to be. Minimal investment is worth a consideration. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would be willing to take a flier on him. I think someone suggested a swap of failed first rounders - Burks for Elam - a month or two back and I don't hate that idea. But I wouldn't be giving much up for him. 

I would rather keep Elam.  He has shown more than Burks has at this point and with Tre gone and Bedford coming back from injury, Elam also has more value to the team right now and has a chance to compete to start.  

Burks would be competing at bottom of WR depth chart here to be a WR 4/5 right now with Hollis after we draft a WR.  And if we draft 2 WRs he could end up 5th or 6th on the depth chart.  Hollis also brings blocking and ST value over Burks too. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Burks is 6'2" 225lbs. I'd be ok with adding him, but no way for Elam. I liked him in the draft, but he hasn't really done anything in the NFL. If we could get him for a 4th or something, heck yeah.

• Agree 1

The Bills have enough players coming back from injuries and they had to get rid of some because of it so i would hope that Beane wouldn't pick up another player that has a pretty good injury history . Let's get them through the draft and look to the future that will be best for the cap & its health all the way around moving forward !! 

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would rather keep Elam.  He has shown more than Burks has at this point and with Tre gone and Bedford coming back from injury, Elam also has more value to the team right now and has a chance to compete to start.  

Burks would be competing at bottom of WR depth chart here to be a WR 4/5 right now with Hollis after we draft a WR.  And if we draft 2 WRs he could end up 5th or 6th on the depth chart.  Hollis also brings blocking and ST value over Burks too. 

I think they are similar to me. Both showed some flashes of ability as rookies without ever establishing themselves and then struggled to get on the field as second year guys with injuries and funky scheme fits ended up benched. 

It's fair that we are probably deeper at WR than corner with Dane and Tre gone. That's true. I just have so little faith in Elam's ability to work out in this defense at this point. Not in his ability. I still think there is a player there. But the reason I didn't like him as a scheme fit originally and was a bit surprised he was the pick still applies. 

Not saying I'd be desperate to do it, but I don't hate the failed first rounder swap as an idea. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I'd rather just draft multiple WRs in the draft but he wouldn't be the worst flier to take. Issue is he may be best suited for the slot at this point and we have plenty of guys to line up there.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

He’s a more expensive version of Isabella, right? Or has he actually established any presence as a foundation to justify reps beyond his drags position? I’ve not seen a ton of him 

I mean they are both failed prospects but Isabella is 3 years older. They are completely different players.

Burks is big and slow and Isabella is tiny and fast. 

They both suck. Burks' change of direction scores in the 3 cone and shuttle etc are just awful, no explosion either. 

Neither's game translated to the NFL so far. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Regarding Elam and Burks: If we're taking a swing at a third year breakout player, I'd rather have a talented man cover corner be the guy that breaks out while on my roster than a receiver. I think the latter are easier to find than the former.

That said, the new Titans regime has no ties to Treylon Burks, so if they're willing to flip him to us for a late round pick (think 5th or later) then I'd be on board. I like low risk, high reward swings on former first and second round picks. Burks is a guy I'd be willing to gamble on, provided the compensation needed to acquire him is relatively meager. He's dealt with injuries, sure, but the Titans passing game has also just generally been a wasteland for lots of guys the past few years. Who's been slinging the rock? The ghost of Ryan Tannehill, Malik Willis, rookie Will Levis...yuck!

So it's a no for me on an Elam swap, but a yes to Burks if he can be had for cheap.

Edited by Logic

Thinking a bit more about this I don’t like the idea of adding Burkes even if it was for almost nothing. If he’s going to have success in the NFL it’ll likely be as a possession WR out of the slot. We don’t have much need there. We’d be better off looking for an X to take a flier on. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Thinking a bit more about this I don’t like the idea of adding Burkes even if it was for almost nothing. If he’s going to have success in the NFL it’ll likely be as a possession WR out of the slot. We don’t have much need there. We’d be better off looking for an X to take a flier on. 

He's a big boy and isn't quick so i don't see him in the slot, i just wonder if he's more bark than bite.  

6 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He's a big boy and isn't quick so i don't see him in the slot, i just wonder if he's more bark than bite.  

I think this discussion tells you everything you need to know about Burks. One of us is saying that he’s not a good enough separator or contested catch receiver to win on the outside, so maybe he could be a decent possession receiver, even if he’s never gonna be dynamic there. The other one is saying that he’s not quick enough to be a good slot receiver so if he’s going to be successful, it’ll have to be on the outside  I think we’re both right  We should just move on.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

The Titans traded for Calvin Ridley which doesn’t bode well for Burks. Having DeAndre Hopkins, Ridley and the #7 pick overall in this year’s draft puts them in the right position to select one of the top 3 WRs. 

I believe that Beane is going to move up in the draft for either Brian Thomas Jr or Adonai Mitchell but adding another WR is still a real possibility. Being a former 1st rd pick that hasn’t stayed healthy makes Burks expendable. If Beane could get him cheap that would be a low risk high ceiling WR prospect for the Bills imo.

I mean....if the Titans would give him up for a bag of chips I guess it would be alright 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I mean....if the Titans would give him up for a bag of chips I guess it would be alright 

The only issue is that a team trading for him would take on his guaranteed contract. $4.7M total for 2024 & 2025. There have been recent trades where guaranteed money reverts back to the original team if the player is cut. I’m not interested but I’d want us to insist on that if we did acquire him. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

The only issue is that a team trading for him would take on his guaranteed contract. $4.7M total for 2024 & 2025. There have been recent trades where guaranteed money reverts back to the original team if the player is cut. I’m not interested but I’d want us to insist on that if we did acquire him. 

I'm not really interested either. If he became a free agent, maybe but not a trade

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I wouldn’t hate it, but I certainly wouldn’t get excited about it. 

That's about where I'm at. I remember wanting him in the draft, but not in the first where he was being valued.

Haven't been thrilled with what I've seen in the NFL.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I mean they are both failed prospects but Isabella is 3 years older. They are completely different players.

Burks is big and slow and Isabella is tiny and fast. 

They both suck. Burks' change of direction scores in the 3 cone and shuttle etc are just awful, no explosion either. 

Neither's game translated to the NFL so far. 

oh yea I didn’t mean in the sense that their style is similar but that they are full washouts right now… Isabella having the perk of at least being league minimum pay where burk has the challenge of a $3m salary (not huge, but effects how you manage him)

• Like (+1) 1

Honest question. How do you really evaluate a WR when they have garbage QBs throwing to them? 

I'd pass based on injury history but you would really have to dig in and decide how much of that is bad luck of a chronic issue. As an aside Bills are going to have the same issue evaluating Rousseau as he seems to be injured every year and production decreases as the season wears on. 

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

oh yea I didn’t mean in the sense that their style is similar but that they are full washouts right now… Isabella having the perk of at least being league minimum pay where burk has the challenge of a $3m salary (not huge, but effects how you manage him)

Gotcha! Yes totally. Failed prospect who is more expensive and would cost capital. Same idea. 

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Size, speed and being a former 1st rd pick. Coming out of college he was suppose to be a AJ Brown clone. Obviously he’s not so far but at one point he was considered to be. Minimal investment is worth a consideration. 

He was never an A.J. Brown clone. That comparison came from someone who didn't really understand how they each played the game and was more based on their similar size. Yes, Burks has the size/look of a classic X receiver, but he didn't and still doesn't have the skills to beat man coverage consistently to win at the X. He'd be better suited as a big slot. 

Wait, why do we want him? About 600 yards and 1 TD over two years for the Titans. Injured a lot. He is tall but not really fast. What is the appeal?