Bass is no longer Bass-o-matic

Toyo321

My right hip hurts watching him kick.  He’s the only kicker I’ve seen swing his right leg like his hip has no hinge, instead of stepping into the kick with force.  It was probably a matter of time before he was going to have some issues.  Hopefully they are correctable.  

10 hours ago, boyst said:

Basstastic?

All about that Bass?

Mr BoomBasstic?

All about that Bass?

Bass Pro Kicker

JBL Bass

Bass In My Pocket 

Bump, Bass, Hit?

Bass Pro

Bass Masters

Chilean Sea Bass

Bass Line

Smallmouth / Largemouth/ Striped Bass

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I think Bass' issues may stem from Martin as a holder.  I think it's one of the reason they brought Haack back.

why is it whenever this guy goes in the tank, people blame his holder?

where is the evidence that Martin was Bass's problem?

4 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Bass Pro

Bass Masters

Chilean Sea Bass

Bass Line

Smallmouth / Largemouth/ Striped Bass

Bass to mouth

• Vomit 1

Statistically, he has been pretty much the same his four seasons. 

I think he missed a few bigger (and very makeable) kicks last year, which skewed our view. But he usually misses about 4 or 5 per year. 

I think he will bounce back and be fine. Just like a golfer— need an offseason to re-set the mechanics a bit.

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

why is it whenever this guy goes in the tank, people blame his holder?

where is the evidence that Martin was Bass's problem?

Bass to mouth

Oooo, that was a low "blow"! 

Me thinks Bass needs to switch to a 20 lb. test, braided leg this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Bass should be on a short leash starting with training camp. He had confidence issues and was an abject failure down the stretch and in the playoffs. We can’t allow this position to be a question mark because it will compromise our entire offense.He can’t get by with his performance 3 years ago. I personally think once a PK loses confidence he’s gotta go. Sean and Beane want to show patience fine. It can’t be excused if the signs continue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There is zero chance a holder change will help lol

The holds were fine ... It's not that hard of a skill to learn 

Pat McAfee never held in college and got it down in the pros

It's just repetitions

Corey Bojorquez would like a word with you.

Matt Haack on the other hand is a holder God. Unfortunately, it just seems his windup when punting takes forever.

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Bass has been solid which is why he got paid what he did. I’m not writing him off because he missed a kick

It was way more than one kick.   He was extremely undependable the last half of the season.  Even his kick in the opener against the Jets that sent the game to overtime was a boink off the post.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

It was way more than one kick.   He was extremely undependable the last half of the season.  Even his kick in the opener against the Jets that sent the game to overtime was a boink off the post.

And it was clear the coaches didn't trust him. We were coaching around his kicking. He has to be significantly better than last year or it's going to cost us.

He never was imo. I have zero confidence that he can make a big kick and his nickname was definitely not earned like Hauschka. Even Rian Lindell felt more trustworthy.

Bass should be on the hot seat to begin the year. 

3 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

Corey Bojorquez would like a word with you.

Matt Haack on the other hand is a holder God. Unfortunately, it just seems his windup when punting takes forever.

I already mentioned this that Corey b struggles were vastly overrated

He was not missing laces every single snap.. I went through every single hold of his career in Buffalo and he did not have over 8 snaps where he did not get the laces around

Including extra points... Hundreds of holds... 8 didn't get laces

There has never been a punter who has been fired because he has been bad at holding... Especially if you're a good punter

Corey B didn't get re signed because he would kick a 60-yard punt... Then Shank it for 20 yards... Then call his own fake field goal

But he's good enough that he instantly gets a job everywhere he goes because his holding problems are overblown... It is a repetition thing

Holder God is the funniest thing I've ever heard... Corey B's new kicker in Cleveland called him the best holder he's ever had

It's not hard to learn if you practice..  Corey B called his own fake kick.. that's where his head is at

Edited by Buffalo716

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I think Bass' issues may stem from Martin as a holder.  I think it's one of the reason they brought Haack back.

this is it- bjorquez sucked  as a holder and our current punter Martin sucks as a holder as well.

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was not missing laces every single snap.. I went through every single hold of his career in Buffalo and he did not have over 8 snaps where he did not get the laces around

There has never been a punter who has been fired because he has been bad at holding... Especially if you're a good punter

Corey B didn't get re signed because he would kick a 60-yard punt... Then Shank it for 20 yards... Then call his own fake field goal

But he's good enough that he instantly gets a job everywhere he goes because his holding problems are overblown... It is a repetition thing

Holder God is the funniest thing I've ever heard... Corey B's new kicker in Cleveland called him the best holder he's ever had

It's not hard to learn if you practice..  Corey B called his own fake kick.. that's where his head is at

i don;t know man. i see every packer game where i live and  the kicking game was terribile when he started holding. it is more than just laces- is the ball placed correctly in the X and Y directions to mesh with the kickers stroke? this was a big part of his and Martin's problem.

10 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

this is it- bjorquez sucked  as a holder and our current punter Martin sucks as a holder as well.

i don;t know man. i see every packer game where i live and  the kicking game was terribile when he started holding. it is more than just laces- is the ball placed correctly in the X and Y directions to mesh with the kickers stroke? this was a big part of his and Martin's problem.

Yet he's still gets jobs everywhere and holds for every team

Edited by Buffalo716

21 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

YES.  Too many snaps were shaky with Martin.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Good stuff.

The Holder God stuff is more jest. I don't think I was the first to say it lol, but I'm riding it to my grave!

23 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

I believe Bass is going to have a really bad year this year.  He is not a lock at all when a crucial kick is needed and I don't trust him either.  That missed kick against KC really rubbed me the wrong way.  Bass is at best a 50/50 kicker at 50 yards.  Butker was house money at 50 yards and more and he out kicked Bass in our own stadium.  

I just don't think Bass can be counted on this year when it will need to matter.  He has developed a weird motion on all his kicks where it travels 20 to 30 yards and had an immediate fade to the right.  I don't know if he can fix this and it is somehow related to how he is striking the ball.

Just not optimistic about him at all this year.

And I believe in the tooth fairy, so guess that makes us even.  And very sorry you were rubbed the wrong way!

So can you explain what changed from the year prior when he was much better from long distance?  Lets assume you're right in that he developed a "weird motion"  Maybe the coaches also figured that out or whatever did change suddenly mid season.  Did he also have that same "weird motion" when he started the season think it was 10 for 10?

Maybe give the guy another chance before we bring the pitch forks out, but I know around here the first sign of any drop off or if he's not a superstar his rookie year it's time to move one!

• Haha (+1) 1

Bass:

4 years in the league. 27 years old. Last year was rough. 

In 2022 Bass was 27 for 31 including several clutch last minute kicks you might have forgotten. 

In 2021 Bass was 28 for 32 with several clutch kicks ... again.

Butker:

7 years in the league. 28 years old. Last year he was great. The year before he was awful.

In 2022, Butker was 18 for 24 and also had a worse Extra Point % than Bass ever had.

The Chiefs had zero confidence in his kicking two years ago.

Did the Chiefs cry about it or cut Harrison Butker?

No. They let him play and get over his "yips" which is common for Kickers. He rewarded them.

Bass is still a good kicker. He just had a bad season. 

It's going to be ok.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/6/2024 at 11:18 PM, Process said:

His contract is pretty brutal. We don't have much of a choice other than to hope he gets right. 

Pretty sure he is working hard on fixing his slice.   He'll be out of the league instantly if he doesn't.   We'll know by opening day if he has or hasn't and McBeanes will not hesitate to bring in another guy if he keeps slicing it.   My sense is holders really matter, and Haack is one of the best, so we'll see.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Bass:

4 years in the league. 27 years old. Last year was rough. 

In 2022 Bass was 27 for 31 including several clutch last minute kicks you might have forgotten. 

In 2021 Bass was 28 for 32 with several clutch kicks ... again.

Butker:

7 years in the league. 28 years old. Last year he was great. The year before he was awful.

In 2022, Butker was 18 for 24 and also had a worse Extra Point % than Bass ever had.

The Chiefs had zero confidence in his kicking two years ago.

Did the Chiefs cry about it or cut Harrison Butker?

No. They let him play and get over his "yips" which is common for Kickers. He rewarded them.

Bass is still a good kicker. He just had a bad season. 

It's going to be ok.

Those numbers you quoted are good to very good -- not anywhere close to elite;  87.5% in 2021 would have put Bass 13th in FG percentage out of all kickers who hit 20 or more field goals.  87.1% in 2022 would have put Bass 11th in FG% with the same criteria.  The Bills only lost 3 games in 2022.  Bass missed field goals in two of those games, both of which the Bills lost by 3 or less points.  How clutch is that?

Tyler Butker has been in the NFL for 7 seasons.  2022 was the only season his field goal percentage was less than Bass's best season. He was over 90% in three out of the other six seasons. I think Butker gets a pass.

No one says to get rid of Bass.  The Bills can't get rid of him without pain anyway due to his contract.  He at least was a good field goal kicker. That is all the Bills need and it's very risky bringing in someone else.  Look at how many kickers the Jets have gone through before they seem to have finally found someone acceptable.

Before people say you have to take weather conditions into account, this is true, but opponent field goal kickers have had a better FG% each of the last four years.  I don't want to leave the impression that I think Bass is a bum, he is not.  I just have never understood the impression from Bills fans that he is an elite kicker.  He was perfectly adequate until last year.

Edit: as pointed out by ColoradoBills below.  He can be cut with little cost.

Edited by Billy Claude

I am hoping that Bass gets over his bad season.  I like the man and the player.

He does need camp competition.  I wouldn't mind a 7th round pick (or a priority UDFA) coming to camp.

I just (for the sake of discussion) want to disprove the "Bass's contract in too expensive to move on from" nonsense.

IF a rookie kicker was drafted in the 7th and made the team the $ numbers look like this.

Bass - Post June cut - $100k 2024 cap savings.

Rookie 7th rounder - $815k.

Bass has a 2025 $3M dead cap but due $4.7M.  Equates to a cap savings of $1.7M, whereas the rookie would cost less than $1M.

The 2026, 2027 cap savings would be over $8M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyler-bass-47784/

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I am hoping that Bass gets over his bad season.  I like the man and the player.

He does need camp competition.  I wouldn't mind a 7th round pick (or a priority UDFA) coming to camp.

I just (for the sake of discussion) want to disprove the "Bass's contract in too expensive to move on from" nonsense.

IF a rookie kicker was drafted in the 7th and made the team the $ numbers look like this.

Bass - Post June cut - $100k 2024 cap savings.

Rookie 7th rounder - $815k.

Bass has a 2025 $3M dead cap but due $4.7M.  Equates to a cap savings of $1.7M, whereas the rookie would cost less than $1M.

The 2026, 2027 cap savings would be over $8M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyler-bass-47784/

OK.  I guess he could be cut without much pain.  I would rather go with him than an unknown.   At least, we know Bass has been a good kicker in the past.

Just now, Billy Claude said:

OK.  I guess he could be cut without much pain.  I would rather go with him than an unknown.   At least, we know Bass has been a good kicker in the past.

Of course that is the hope.  My point is to bring in camp competition as insurance against him losing it all together.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And I believe in the tooth fairy, so guess that makes us even.  And very sorry you were rubbed the wrong way!

So can you explain what changed from the year prior when he was much better from long distance?  Lets assume you're right in that he developed a "weird motion"  Maybe the coaches also figured that out or whatever did change suddenly mid season.  Did he also have that same "weird motion" when he started the season think it was 10 for 10?

Maybe give the guy another chance before we bring the pitch forks out, but I know around here the first sign of any drop off or if he's not a superstar his rookie year it's time to move one!

Being the fourth highest paid kicker at $6.11 million and being in the BOTTOM of the NFL in 2023 in kicker stats and performance metrics.  He was not what I call trustworthy even at the end of 2022.  He was still pulling his kicks back then too, even McD had no faith in this guy when the kick was going to be 50 yards.

He is not worth his salary.  There needs to be a kicker brought in to compete for his position this year.  But his contract is the problem and preventing this.  Another one of Beane's contract salary debacles'.  

Edited by Toyo321
  • Eyeroll 1

On 4/6/2024 at 10:34 PM, Toyo321 said:

I believe Bass is going to have a really bad year this year.  He is not a lock at all when a crucial kick is needed and I don't trust him either.  That missed kick against KC really rubbed me the wrong way.  Bass is at best a 50/50 kicker at 50 yards.  Butker was house money at 50 yards and more and he out kicked Bass in our own stadium.  

I just don't think Bass can be counted on this year when it will need to matter.  He has developed a weird motion on all his kicks where it travels 20 to 30 yards and had an immediate fade to the right.  I don't know if he can fix this and it is somehow related to how he is striking the ball.

Just not optimistic about him at all this year.

Please, no one point out that Bass his 66.6% of his kicks from 50+ last year.

Definitely no one point out that he’s 63% from 50+ for his career. 

Definitely, DEFINITELY no one point out that he made the exact same amount of kicks from his great 2022 season (28) while only missing 2 more FGs the following year. 

Isn’t that crazy? 2 attempts are the difference between an 87% season and an 82% season. 

Bass will be fine. 

11 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Definitely, DEFINITELY no one point out that he made the exact same amount of kicks from his great 2022 season (28) while only missing 2 more FGs the following year. 

The point is his 2022 season was not great.   It was good to very good.  The Bills only lost three regular season games that year.  Two of his four missed kicks were in games the Bills lost, both by three points or less.

This is not the 1980's NFL.   He was the 12th best kicker by percentage in 2022.  That is good not great.  Bass has never been great.

There were a couple of kicks last year that were i some pretty bad weather conditions with the wind & rain, he will still be one of the better kickers in the league.

I think it's his women's fault - just saying . Josh went through a time when him & the one girl broke up & Bass was planning his wedding last season so he was distracted by all the questions and other things on his mind & we know he sure wasn't practicing football in his free time so there's that plus the - should i get a pre nupp or should i not 🤔 😆 .

He'll be alright after the honey moon LOL ...

11 minutes ago, T master said:

There were a couple of kicks last year that were i some pretty bad weather conditions with the wind & rain, he will still be one of the better kickers in the league.

I think it's his women's fault - just saying . Josh went through a time when him & the one girl broke up & Bass was planning his wedding last season so he was distracted by all the questions and other things on his mind & we know he sure wasn't practicing football in his free time so there's that plus the - should i get a pre nupp or should i not 🤔 😆 .

He'll be alright after the honey moon LOL ...

Your kicker can't have The yips because of a woman

On 4/6/2024 at 10:41 PM, FireChans said:

He was doomed to suck after being called "Bass-o-matic."

This 100% makes sense and is probably the most logical post ever made on this forum.

Couldn't agree more. I dig.

Edited by Fr. Jerk
  • Like (+1) 1