So You Need to Move Diggs..Why the Texans??

Forgive me in advance if this subject came up somewhere in the 116 pages of the Diggs is traded thread, but...

Let's assume the Diggs trade had to happen now...why the Texans?...Yes his production is way down, but even at 31 he's still got a lot left in the tank...and you may have handed the team that, at least on paper, seems to now be the most talent laden in the AFC. 

People certainly would be up in arms if we dealt him to the Chiefs or Bengals, but the Texans may be a tougher "out" this season.

My biggest complaint in this whole matter is that Beane couldn't find a trade partner in the NFC, or a team in the AFC searching for a QB and not a threat.

Maybe other GMs around the league are wary now that Diggs has whined his way off of two teams, and weren't willing to give up a second round pick.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

who cares?

Texans put up numbers on The Cleveland Flaccos, then got roasted by the about to be fully exposed Baltimore MVP's.

every time any player moved from one team to an winning AFC rival, posters loose their stool.

worry about not falling apart to the Chiefs in the playoffs...

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

For most, Diggs trade was coming at least next year. 

That’s where I’m at. Why the Texans? It helps them out tremendously. If you’re trading him within the AFC, one of the other South teams would have been good a la KC trading Hill to compete within a rival’s division. 

Chargers need a guy @ WR given the trades and QJ’s underwhelming performances when in the limelight last season. Maybe you could have thrown him in the mix with some other picks to get up to #5, if trading up that high is a scenario they see themselves looking into. 

6 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Forgive me in advance if this subject came up somewhere in the 116 pages of the Diggs is traded thread, but...

Let's assume the Diggs trade had to happen now...why the Texans?...Yes his production is way down, but even at 31 he's still got a lot left in the tank...and you may have handed the team that, at least on paper, seems to now be the most talent laden in the AFC. 

People certainly would be up in arms if we dealt him to the Chiefs or Bengals, but the Texans may be a tougher "out" this season.

My biggest complaint in this whole matter is that Beane couldn't find a trade partner in the NFC, or a team in the AFC searching for a QB and not a threat.

Maybe other GMs around the league are wary now that Diggs has whined his way off of two teams, and weren't willing to give up a second round pick.

You answered your own question.

Due to Diggs malcontent behavior, it was a market where the buyers had control. Maybe the Texans were the only takers.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

The Texans are being overrated.

I said it yesterday - people should check their schedule last season.  They didn't beat many good teams.  They'll have a 1st place schedule this year, and won't catch teams by surprise like they did in '23.

Not that they won't be in contention, but they haven't proven much to me yet.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Don't think there was much of a market for Diggs tbh.  Beane's only real leverage was basically "ok, we'll just keep him then".  Once the Texans came up with a 2nd Rounder, yes next year, but also attached to the Vikings, it makes sense.  That's potentially a Top 40 pick next year. 

And while the Texans should win that division.. I am interested to see Stroud in Year 2 against this schedule:

Jaguars x2

Colts x2

Titans x2

Home

Ravens

Bills

Dolphins

Bears

Lions

Away

Cowboys

Packers

Vikings

Chiefs

Jets

Patriots

• Like (+1) 2

Because that’s who made us an offer. It’s not like teams were breaking down our door for an over 30 declining receiver that might be a cancer. It is what it is. Doesn’t matter who we traded too. Was KC worried about trading Hill to Miami?

• Agree 7

20 minutes ago, FitzShowUsYourTitz said:

Exactly.  Doesn’t take much of a brain to realize there were not 30 teams offering the same compensation 

jeez 😳

This was Diggs preferred destination and Beane did right by him, I’m not convinced this was the best offer on the table.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4

50 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Why the Texans? 

Because they made the highest offer out of every team that may have been interested in obtaining him, it’s really that simple. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Success said:

I said it yesterday - people should check their schedule last season.  They didn't beat many good teams.  They'll have a 1st place schedule this year, and won't catch teams by surprise like they did in '23.

Kinda sounds like our team, ouch.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

because they called

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

After how he ended the season...we sure about that?

The league will pretty much dictate where you trade someone. A few seasons back the Ravens trades Orlando Brown to the Chiefs. Why? Because they likely offered the best trade package. Same likely happened here. 

When making moves you make them based on what helps your club the most. Secondary reasoning would be what may or may not be a tougher "out" after 17 games and into the playoffs. 

Look at what other teams got trading their wide receivers this offseason. Keenan Allen was traded for a 4th rounder. Jerry Jeudy was traded for a 5th and 6th. Getting a 2nd for Diggs is actually pretty good, and only the Texans were willing to give that.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Clearly they offered the best compensation package.

Beane is no dummy. If an NFC team or a cellar dweller offered comparable return to what the Texans offered, he clearly would've gone with that instead.

At the end of the day, you have to prioritize doing what's best for your OWN team over the fact that you might be helping to strengthen another competitive team.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Look at what other teams got trading their wide receivers this offseason. Keenan Allen was traded for a 4th rounder. Jerry Jeudy was traded for a 5th and 6th. Getting a 2nd for Diggs is actually pretty good, and only the Texans were willing to give that.

The 2nd in 2025 is basically a 3rd rounder this year.  So yeah, not bad considering what other guys fetched.

• Agree 1

Because no one else offered what should be a high 2nd Rounder (Vikings 2nd round pick).

It's simple. Beane didn't think he was trading an elite WR who was a difference maker in the playoffs. He trading an aging formerly elite player with a poor recent playoff record (65 yards TOTAL in last 3 playoff games). I'll take a pick around 35-38 overall for that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

...worry about not falling apart to the Chiefs in the playoffs...

You have to make it to the Chiefs in the playoffs to even get to that point. 

There are more teams than just the Chiefs to worry about, something we should all understand from the 2022 Divisional Round game.

Would you be cool with Diggs going to the Bengals? No. And the Texans made it to the Division Round in just 1 year with Stroud, have a younger team, more talent, better cap situation, already had a number 1 WR, and now added Diggs. 

So instead of acting like we already made it & our spot is assured next to the Chiefs, we have to contend with reality & recognize there are other teams improving faster & more dramatically than the Bills.

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

You have to make it to the Chiefs in the playoffs to even get to that point. 

There are more teams than just the Chiefs to worry about, something we should all understand from the 2022 Divisional Round game.

Would you be cool with Diggs going to the Bengals? No. And the Texans made it to the Division Round in just 1 year with Stroud, have a younger team, more talent, better cap situation, already had a number 1 WR, and now added Diggs. 

So instead of acting like we already made it & our spot is assured next to the Chiefs, we have to contend with reality & recognize there are other teams improving faster & more dramatically than the Bills.

It's also all just talk on paper until those other teams actually DO it.

We've been hearing for several seasons now how strong the AFC is. The Russell Wilson Broncos were supposed to be threats. The Justin Herbert Chargers were supposed to be threats. Davante Adams to the Raiders, Deshaun Watson's Browns, Tua's Dolphins, Aaron Rodgers and the Jets...

All we've heard about for several years straight is how the rest of the AFC is gaining ground on Buffalo and will soon overtake them. It has yet to happen. Sure enough, the Bills were the 2nd seed again last season, despite all that noise.

COULD it happen, and soon? Absolutely. You're right that the Bills' spot is not guaranteed. But they still have the second best quarterback on planet earth, and until further notice, they've been backing their talk up (at least in the regular season) at a much greater rate than the rest of the "dangerous" AFC pack.

• Like (+1) 1

I will tell you this...Beane and McDermott better make damn sure that they beat the Texans when the play them this year or it's going to look really bad for this franchise.

Another scenario I wouldn't mind is if Houston can beat the Chiefs. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Well, i'm just throwing this out there, but i highly suspect that we didn't have too many trade partners on this one.

In fact, it almost feels like Houston took Diggs out of sheer sympathy.

And i can only imagine how that conversation went......

Beane: who wants him?.....we got him.....fire sale on now!

Every franchise: ......(looks at the floor......looks at the ceiling.......fails to look Beane in the eye)

Beane: anybody?

Houston: .......HC whispering to the GM, "Jesus man, look at him.....like a beaten dog, for Christ's sakes. I think he's crying.....throw him a bone and a bag of peanuts and call it a deal"

Beane: alright, we got an opening bid of one bone and a bag of peanuts.....anybody else want to get in on this?

Every franchise:......(looks at the floor......looks at the ceiling.......fails to look Beane in the eye)

Houston: we decided we're keeping the bone......bag of peanuts, take it or leave it?

Beane: Deal!!!......but i don't want that bag of peanuts until next year

Houston: Deal!!!

And in my world, that's how big business deals are done.

1 hour ago, Success said:

Texans are better than the Bills right now, much better position financially because they have a rookie QB contract, added Joe Mixon at RB and plenty of future draft capital.  They have a coach a lot of players want to play for Demeco Ryans and a state with no income tax.  I dont think they are being over rated at all.  It is a team that will be a Super Bowl contender for years, they have leapfrogged the Bills imo.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

You have absolutely zero credible intel to back your claim that “only the Texans” were offering a 2nd for Diggs. What we do know is that the Texans were a preferred destination for Diggs. This has been discussed via multiple channels since the conclusion of the pro-bowl.  

Edited by TheWeatherMan
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

I would have preferred trading him to Dallas for their first (#24).  But I guess maybe Dallas didn't want to do that?

And I don't get it.  What is Dallas doing?  They lost way more than they gained so far (Pollard/Gallup/T Smith all gone).  Dallas is losing the in-state hype battle to Houston by a large margin.  Dallas should have given us their first - jerks.

So I think Houston probably gave us the best offer for Diggs.  And if the OP is suggesting we should have taken a lesser offer for Diggs because we're scared of Houston, well that's just foolish.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

You have absolutely zero credible intel to back your claim that “only the Texans” were offering a 2nd for Diggs. What we do know is that the Texans were a preferred destination for Diggs. This has been discussed via multiple channels since the conclusion of the pro-bowl.  

You have no credible intel to claim that any other team offered a 2nd for Diggs. See how easy that is?

And what does it matter if there was another team? The Texans obviously had the best offer, which proves there was not a significant market for Diggs. And that has been said via multiple channels since the trade went down, that there wasn't a big market for him.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

I honestly can see them being the 2021 Cleveland Browns.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Texans are better than the Bills right now, much better position financially because they have a rookie QB contract, added Joe Mixon at RB and plenty of future draft capital.  They have a coach a lot of players want to play for Demeco Ryans and a state with no income tax.  I dont think they are being over rated at all.  It is a team that will be a Super Bowl contender for years, they have leapfrogged the Bills imo.

They have alot to prove this season before I can say they passed us

Edited by BeastMaster

54 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Amari Cooper went for a 5th as a 26 year old in the prime of his career.  A 2nd for Diggs was great value.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

You have no credible intel to claim that any other team offered a 2nd for Diggs. See how easy that is?

And what does it matter if there was another team? The Texans obviously had the best offer, which proves there was not a significant market for Diggs. And that has been said via multiple channels since the trade went down, that there wasn't a big market for him.

That’s funny because I never said any other team offered anything.  Ignorance and arrogance is a dangerous mixture. Try a slice of humble pie it tastes good! 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1