How would you construct the 2024 Bills WR Room?

Trade our 2nd this year and  Minnesota's 2nd next year for Ayuik. Draft the best DL in Round 1. Draft a Safety in Round 3. In Round 4 look for a WR am sure someone good may fall yet not sure who so I take Cornelius Johnson, as he has been a target of mine since the draft season started.

WR1 Ayuik

WR2/RB3 Samuel

WR3 Shakir

WR4 Johnson

WR5 Hollins

WR6/KR/PR KJ Hamler

PS

Shorter

UDFA Troy Omeire

Tyrell Shavers

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

Is there anything more maddeningly consistent that the NOLA boys @Kirby Jackson and @NoSaint being in love with making can’t guard Michael Thomas a thing?

2019 was a long time ago. Dude was molasses then. Now he’s geriatric.

in my defense, I have not been on his bandwagon in a bit 

No way to all this "let's do the Sammy thing again".  Beane HAS to somehow at the very least create a 3rd rd. pick...if nothing else.

He is gonna have to use future pick(s) to do it but, we need a good haul of a young core this year.

With a 3rd, we can use later rd. picks to move around...or to move around in the 2nd. We absolutely have to come up with at least one 3rd.

Here's what I would do with the WR room. Nothing major just add a couple of draft picks one high up and one in the mid-rounds. 

1. Shakir (I think he's going to have to be the WR1 and I think he can handle it esp if Kincaid steps into a larger more impactful role)
  2. 1st Round WR (Brian Thomas Jr, AD Mitchell or any other good prospect likely to fall to pick 28 or within a short trade up)
  3. Samuel (dude is more of a slot machine type getting a WR high up allows the Bills offense to be flexible with Samuel playing him in the slot or outside when needed).
  4. Bench: Hollins, Shorter and a 5th round pick (not sure who is going to fall but a decent depth option with hopefully some return ability for Special Teams should be there in the 5th). 

I think a high draft prospect would help ease the pressure off of Shakir and Samuel and adding a mid-round pick assists the depth. I think the Bills should also strongly consider a top guard or center prospect at pick 60. Edwards at LG is decent but not inspiring. If Haynes or Bebe is there at pick 60 taking another "plug and play" type guard and moving Edwards to the 6th man role not only improves the offensive line starting 5 short and long term but also helps out the depth at a unit where depth is critical. 

I think another draft of going offense in the first two rounds is needed. Then with 7 of the remaining 9 selections build up the defense and select a RB and WR for depth on offense. McD as a brilliant defensive mind is going to have to learn to build up a defense with mid and late round picks. He's shown the ability to do so at corner (Taron, Benford, Dane Jackson and Levi Wallace all went 4th to 7th round or un-drafted and have all been productive) and at LB with Milano, now he has to do so with the defensive line and continue to do so with the secondary. 

I think a huge addition to our WR success will be if Cook can catch the damn ball.

OK I admit it! This is a cry for help. All this is making me crazy. 3 more weeks! UGGH

Edited by nosejob

MHJ

Samuel

Shakir

Tyler Boyd

Hollins

Shorter

I could see them doing that 

you have a franchise cornerstone to go with Allen.  Plus a mix of 3 players who are solid at WR 2-4

If Kincaid and Shakir take another step this year, we’re set. 

1 hour ago, nosejob said:

No way to all this "let's do the Sammy thing again".  Beane HAS to somehow at the very least create a 3rd rd. pick...if nothing else.

He is gonna have to use future pick(s) to do it but, we need a good haul of a young core this year.

With a 3rd, we can use later rd. picks to move around...or to move around in the 2nd. We absolutely have to come up with at least one 3rd.

why? We have almost no other real needs besides WR and plenty of cap space in future years to fill the roster

Enough playing games. Go get a stallion

this team badly BADLY needs an ELITE talent on offense.  Could you hit one at 28 or with a smaller trade up? & then again in Round 2 or 4?  Of course. You’d need a good amount of things to go your way.

It’s time to reel in MHJ, Nabers or Odunze

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Hard to imagine that happening. 

I just imagined it 😎

28, 60, 2025 1st, 2nd, 2nd  for #4

expensive yes. Worth it? Very good chance

board meltdown?  100%

I do think there’s a much better chance we go after Nabers

he’s possibly there at #6

Josh said his name 1st

Schoen owes Beane a slight discount 

this of course assumes the Giants don’t want him and are willing to trade down 

(who knows!)

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I just imagined it 😎

28, 60, 2025 1st, 2nd, 2nd  for #4

expensive yes. Worth it? Very good chance

board meltdown?  100%

I do think there’s a much better chance we go after Nabers

he’s possibly there at #6

Josh said his name 1st

Schoen owes Beane a slight discount 

this of course assumes the Giants don’t want him and are willing to trade down 

(who knows!)

It seems clear 2024 is not the target year for the championship. Massive turnover on defense, complete makeover of the WR room, new DC, first full year for an OC, Dline overhaul, no reason to expect Miller or Milano to return to form in 2024.  Trading all of that draft capital for 2024 seems to make little sense. The more obvious answer seems to be building up the 2025 draft capital to make a move next year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

there's no way I'd give up 5 potential starting players for a top prospect at any position unless it was QB. I'd much rather we just draft 5 WRs and take our shot that one or more of them are good. It's not like top prospects are a sure thing. They bust all the time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

After June 1 when Tre savings kicks in:

1. Worthy pick 28

2. Legette pick 60 or RD 2 trade up

3. OBJ 

4. Samuel

5. Shakir 

6. Hollins 

TE - Kincaid, Knox

RB - Cook, Ty

Better then last year’s group

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

After June 1 when Tre savings kicks in:

1. Worthy pick 28

2. Legette pick 60 or RD 2 trade up

3. OBJ 

4. Samuel

5. Shakir 

6. Hollins 

TE - Kincaid, Knox

RB - Cook, Ty

Better then last year’s group

I think Legette is going in round 1 and there's the chance that someone jumps the bills to get him before 28. 

I think Mitchell Worthy and maybe Thomas slide, but I'm biased because they worry me (I don't want us to draft Mitchell or Worthy and im not totally sold on Thomas)

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, wolfpack78 said:

Take a flier on Michael Thomas on a one year prove it deal.  

I don’t hate it. He knows the offense and he has something to prove. He doesn’t stretch the field, but if he’s healthy he can ball. 

The excitement of trading Diggs gave me the initial reaction that I wanted to sell the farm

and go for one of the big three…but:

Now that the dust has settled, I think the best course of action is to stand pat at #28…and potentially move up 2-5 spots using a 4th if need be to draft “our guy”

That’ll leave us with 

Rookie

Samuel

Shakir

Shorter

Hollins

Sign a guy like Renfrow or Boyd as insurance

This boils down to casting a wide net instead of putting all your eggs in one basket. If #28 doesn’t get it done this year, then we have next years first (which could be better than #28) and two 2nds to try again to find WR1. In the mean time, Samuel/Kincaid/Cook will carry the loan if the tookie can’t hack it 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the odds of us trading up after the Diggs trade has risen. I too would prefer a less costly trade up for Odunze (10-12) or Brian Thomas (20-24). Going after MHJ or Nabers will be just to expensive. I like the idea of Michael Thomas for a year. And then Burton in the 4th?

I’m not saying I want him, but there seems to be some smoke about OBJ

Surprised to see he actually put up impressive stats when used

35 for 565   16.1 ypc  3 TD

remember last year he did have a dinner meeting with Josh and Von if I recall

I would also view this as a possible “tell” we are targeting 1 of the LSU receivers and believe a veteran from there could benefit that player

• Dislike 1

I would stay at 28 and draft AD Mitchell who should be there for us, in the 2nd round I'd trade pick 60 plus our 2nd (Bills) round pick in 2025 (it may take a bit more since I'm not around a draft value chart atm) and move up to take either Xavier Legette/Ladd McKonkey.  We still have our 1st next year and Minnesota's 2nd next year which should be a high pick. and our WR core looks like this:

AD Mitchell

Curtis Samuel

Khalil Shakir

Ladd McKonkey or Xavier Legette

Mack Hollins

Justin Shorter

I'd like some home grown WR prospects other than going out and not only spending draft picks but having to sign guys to WR 1 money right out of the gate. Allen made the playoffs with John Brown, Cole Beasley, Zay Jones and Duke Williams at WR so he sure as hell could do wonders with the above. It will take some time and getting used to the new guys for sure but I think it will work out great in the end.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’m not saying I want him, but there seems to be some smoke about OBJ

Surprised to see he actually put up impressive stats when used

35 for 565   16.1 ypc  3 TD

remember last year he did have a dinner meeting with Josh and Von if I recall

I would also view this as a likely “tell” we are targeting 1 of the LSU receivers

OBJ wouldn't shock me, at this point. Tyler Boyd is a Slot guy and at this point, we have absolutely nothing on the roster BUT Slot guys. Same goes for Hunter Renfrow. Outside of those guys that aren't fits, OBJ and DJ Chark represent the best available in the market at this point.

Not exactly sure of the correlation of how you would view this as a "likely tell" we are targeting one of the LSU WR's tho. Because OBJ went to LSU? That'd be a bit of a leap.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is the other best way to do it IMO. I’d love a Legette/McConkey combination. I feel like their games mesh well. 

I like that. McConkey is the more touted prospect who "might" make it to 28 depending how the board falls. Legette surely should be there and trading up in the 2nd is quite plausible. 

Other late rounders I like are Roman Wilson, J. Polk and Malachi Corley

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is the other best way to do it IMO. I’d love a Legette/McConkey combination. I feel like their games mesh well. 

I'm about creating our own CMC, Coleman/McConkey😎

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think the odds of us trading up after the Diggs trade has risen. I too would prefer a less costly trade up for Odunze (10-12) or Brian Thomas (20-24). Going after MHJ or Nabers will be just to expensive. I like the idea of Michael Thomas for a year. And then Burton in the 4th?

Remember, Michael Thomas is Keyshawn Johnson's nephew 😎

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I would stay at 28 and draft AD Mitchell who should be there for us, in the 2nd round I'd trade pick 60 plus our 2nd (Bills) round pick in 2025 (it may take a bit more since I'm not around a draft value chart atm) and move up to take either Xavier Legette/Ladd McKonkey.  

I think the only thing I like about this scenario is ending up with one of Legette or McConkey. I don't like Mitchell as a prospect and losing a very good 2nd round pick just to move up in the second round seems like awful value. Just take Legette or McConkey at 28.

Just now, NickelCity said:

I think the only thing I like about this scenario is ending up with one of Legette or McConkey. I don't like Mitchell as a prospect and losing a very good 2nd round pick just to move up in the second round seems like awful value. Just take Legette or McConkey at 28.

Not everyone is going to like the WR or player the Bills select at 28 (If they dont trade up/down or for a player). I think Mitchell is going to be an excellent player in a year or so but I expect growing pains along the way along with just about every young prospect. Insert McKonkey at 28 and Legette in the trade up in the 2nd, whoever they feel can help elivate us. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Not everyone is going to like the WR or player the Bills select at 28 (If they dont trade up/down or for a player). I think Mitchell is going to be an excellent player in a year or so but I expect growing pains along the way along with just about every young prospect. Insert McKonkey at 28 and Legette in the trade up in the 2nd, whoever they feel can help elivate us. 

Fair enough. Ignoring prospects, I still think trading our 2024 and 2025 2nd rounders to move up in the 2nd is tough to fathom unless it's at the very top of the round. Hard to see the Bills doing that and making both picks receivers. 

100% drafting one in the first round. Brian Thomas is the somewhat attainable trade up dream, and to me the best fit after the top 3. Otherwise I like pretty much everyone in that next tier. I would also consider drafting another guy in the second or the 4th.

But I think they should add another guy. 

Free agency falls in tiers with

30 something vets who were once big time:

OBJ

Michael Thomas

Allen Robinson

Big with Speed:

MVS

Jalen Guyton

Michael Gallup

DJ Chark

Small with speed:

Mecole Hardman

Scotty Miller

What I would do? Trade for Terrance Marshall. He’s fallen behind Diontae Johnson and Adam Thielen as well as John Mingo. Marshall is big and fast, a former second round pick who played for Brady at LSU and in Carolina. He needs a fresh start badly and he should cost nothing. Maybe a late round pick swap. 6-2, 205, runs 4.4 and plays outside, can play inside. They don’t have a sixth and we have two of them. Maybe swap a sixth for their seventh. They have been trying to trade him, he is unhappy, you have the fit with Brady and you have Dan Morgan down there. Give him a fresh start. 

So:

1st round rookie

Samuel

Shakir

Marshall or second draft pick

Hollins

Hardman or another speed free agent

Shorter

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I like that. McConkey is the more touted prospect who "might" make it to 28 depending how the board falls. Legette surely should be there and trading up in the 2nd is quite plausible. 

Other late rounders I like are Roman Wilson, J. Polk and Malachi Corley

I'd be shocked if either McConkey or Legette is off the board before #28. The Bills feel like the start of the range for both players IMO. I think Ladd then has some other possible fits late in the first - San Fran (if Aiyuk is to be moved) and KC.... possibly even Baltimore (if they have finally decided Bateman isn't it). I think if the Bills don't take Legette he is a 2nd rounder.... but there are half a dozen potential landing spots early in the 2nd - Carolina, Washington, New England, Chargers (if they got OL in round 1), even possibly Tennessee. I think Ladd is a possible fit in some of those spots too. Then #44 to #51 is where I expect a mammoth receiver run:

#44 Raiders - have Adams at 31 on a huge deal with an out after this year, Meyers and then literally nothing else.

#45 Saints - need a running mate for Olave (think they'd want a bigger guy so Legette, Coleman etc are in play)

#46 Colts - less likely as they have a decent top 3 - Pittman, Pierce, Downs.... but there is still room to upgrade

#47 Giants - might take one early but what if they go QB in round 1? They'd then be almost certain to go WR their next pick

#48 Jax - again might go that route round 1 but if they don't I'd expect them to here

#49 Bengals - lost Boyd and Higgins uncertainty

#50 Eagles - not an urgent need by AJ Brown drama this year feels a lot like the Diggs drama last year and 2024 might be a last ride

#51 Steelers - traded Johnson away means it is slim pickings opposite Pickens.

In those eight picks I think you could easily see four or five receivers go off the board. It is why I think early 40s is the last possible target zone for the Bills if their plan really is to trade back from #28, or trade up to double dip. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

100% drafting one in the first round. Brian Thomas is the somewhat attainable trade up dream, and to me the best fit after the top 3. Otherwise I like pretty much everyone in that next tier. I would also consider drafting another guy in the second or the 4th.

But I think they should add another guy. 

Free agency falls in tiers with

30 something vets who were once big time:

OBJ

Michael Thomas

Allen Robinson

Big with Speed:

MVS

Jalen Guyton

Michael Gallup

DJ Chark

Small with speed:

Mecole Hardman

Scotty Miller

What I would do? Trade for Terrance Marshall. He’s fallen behind Diontae Johnson and Adam Thielen as well as John Mingo. Marshall is big and fast, a former second round pick who played for Brady at LSU and in Carolina. He needs a fresh start badly and he should cost nothing. Maybe a late round pick swap. 6-2, 205, runs 4.4 and plays outside, can play inside. They don’t have a sixth and we have two of them. Maybe swap a sixth for their seventh. They have been trying to trade him, he is unhappy, you have the fit with Brady and you have Dan Morgan down there. Give him a fresh start. 

So:

1st round rookie

Samuel

Shakir

Marshall or second draft pick

Hollins

Hardman or another speed free agent

Shorter

I'd definitely be willing to throw a 6th or 7th at Marshall. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not saying MHJ will be the same, but look at what the Bills gave up to move up to #4 to draft Sammy Watkins only for the receivers drafted after him to turn out to be much better in the NFL. Highly drafted doesn't always translate to highly productive - wasn't Diggs a 4th rounder? I'd rather stay put or even trade back - this team will stay in cap hell if they don't draft well, and having more picks increases your odds of "hitting" on one. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Conlan58 said:

I'm not saying MHJ will be the same, but look at what the Bills gave up to move up to #4 to draft Sammy Watkins only for the receivers drafted after him to turn out to be much better in the NFL. Highly drafted doesn't always translate to highly productive - wasn't Diggs a 4th rounder? I'd rather stay put or even trade back - this team will stay in cap hell if they don't draft well, and having more picks increases your odds of "hitting" on one. 

If the Bills said “Mike Evans” instead of “Sammy Watkins” you’d think that it was a great trade though, correct? The Julio Jones trade worked out great for Atlanta, right? We need to stop with the thought of, “we shouldn’t trade up for a WR because 10 years ago we did and it didn’t work out great.” Watkins not working out doesn’t correlate to these guys 😂😂

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

DEEP THREAT !!

that's what is missing and needed !

bills will likely get that with first pick in draft whether they move up or stay at 28.

i also see them adding another wr via free agent

On 4/4/2024 at 8:54 PM, BillMafia716ix said:

Stay at 28. Draft a WR. The WR class is loaded no need to give up next year 1st. 

Exactly my position too.

Do NOT package the Texans/Vikes second rounder under ANY circumstances - it will be worth its weight in gold next year.

We just have to be patient and let the board come to us.

11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

there's no way I'd give up 5 potential starting players for a top prospect at any position unless it was QB. I'd much rather we just draft 5 WRs and take our shot that one or more of them are good. It's not like top prospects are a sure thing. They bust all the time.

I don’t always agree with you. But this post is correct. 

• Agree 1