Diggs traded to Texans for picks

Man, just checking the internet - the sentiment among opposing fans seems to be that Diggs absolutely made JA what he is, and now he'll regress & basically go back to being an average QB without Diggs.

That's really just dumb.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

While I love the optimism and agree about the very last part, I'm not convinced we will sniff a draft pick close enough to land one of those top 4 WR's. But I hope.

The good news is you wont have to wait very long to find out.    

I am fine with the trade. Diggs play dropped off at the end of last year. Last 100 yard game was what week 6. 

I am fine doing the complete cap reset and retool ala Chiefs it was gonna happen. Would have liked for the trophy but the core now broken up wasn’t good enough to get it done. 

I am ok moving on from a WR in a draft that has a lot of WRs. And Minny second should be what projects to be a High Second. And cap is reset. 

might hurt the offense initially but I still see the AFCE as ours to lose at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

Is there room for nuance? I think this move needed to happen. But I also think the dead money charge of $31.096 million next season (a record for a WR in any season) has to be a blemish on Beane's record. A minor one and one that needs to be taken in context of the totality of Diggs time here and the positives/production he brought.

That said, I have been a proponent of a reset and believe Beane had some pills to swallow on this one, but I believe it was the correct move. 

Perhaps it's been verified many times (can't look at all 67 pages but I've seen many) but here is the news from the Bills themselves that we get the VIkings 2nd rounder in 2025:

The terms of the trade:

Buffalo receives a 2025 second-round pick (via the Vikings)

Houston receives WR Stefon Diggs, a 2024 sixth-round pick (No. 189 overall) and a 2025 fifth-round pick

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-and-texans-agree-to-terms-on-trade-to-send-wr-stefon-diggs-to-houston

Given that the Vikings were 7 and 10 last season and with no Cousins now, that second could be in the top 5 picks of the round, or close.

So if we lost a 1st in a trade, we'd have a pick not too far after with the Vikings second...

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

It may be but it had to be done. You can’t have your qb and star wr splintered like that.

Bad news is Bills might not even get to the divisional round next season to flop. Or maybe that’s good news? Take a step back to move forward. 

Not sure step backs guarantee eventual progress. How about they grow up and work.  Do you like everyone you work with?  

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m guessing Josh is not shedding a tear over the trade. Diggs had become nothing but a PITA. 

My wife and I believe part of the early season issues was Josh trying to always placate Diggs, which really forced throws and look offs of better reads. 

once we fit the others going the season started moving along. 

Time to move on 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I think that message was out there about three years ago.

Too bad Josh didn't get the memo 'til now. Leaders lead, not go off galivanting in the off season like he won a super bowl or something.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I do not believe this is true. Right now Spotrac is showing that we take Diggs $27M cap number off the books for 2025. That could change as this whole thing gets finalized, but it won't be $30M regardless. 

The Bills will carry a dead money charge of $31.096 million next season after trading Diggs, according to Roster Management System. That will be the highest-known dead money charge ever for a wide receiver in any season, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

I hope you are right. 

10 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

We would definitely have to give up next year 1st to move up that high. Dont see it happening

I think next year's first is very much in play, now that we have 2 seconds next year. I'd have no problem trading it for BT or RO. I think we are going to see an aggressive move from Beane. 

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Too bad Josh didn't get the memo 'til now. Leaders lead, not go off galivanting in the off season like he won a super bowl or something.

Nah. He’s supposed to lock himself in a room and reviewed film all offseason. Give me a break. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Correct.  I am not in the building so I dont know every detail of the situation.  But as an objective person, who likes to form opinions using the least number of assumptions possible, I am putting this one on Diggs.   Fact, he refused to talk to reporters after playoff game losses.  Fact, he made a spectacle of himself on camera during the Bengals' game.  Fact, he never went out of his way to support the team after his brother made distracting tweets during the season.  Fact, you're now hearing he took himself out of games even when healthy.   

All that appears to be true.

It doesn't prove what you said it does.

But again, nothing wrong with an opinion. It certainly could be true. It seems likely that he forced himself out, but there are other facts that seem to point the other way. For example, how the switch from productive to less so came almost precisely when the OC switch happened.

Cover1 has said that in their film study of the last half of the season they still saw Diggs open a lot but not getting thrown to much.

I do believe Diggs is a diva and I haven't liked many of the things he did last year that you pointed out. But I don't think that comes anywhere close to proving that his lack of productivity late was on him.

Must go to bed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

All this says to me is the bills are going to use their 24 and 25 first round picks to trade up and draft a wide receiver. 

They probably figure the Vikings 2025 2nd is going to be very close to where their own 2025 1st Rounder will be anyways.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Perhaps it's been verified many times (can't look at all 67 pages but I've seen many) but here is the news from the Bills themselves that we get the VIkings 2nd rounder in 2025:

The terms of the trade:

Buffalo receives a 2025 second-round pick (via the Vikings)

Houston receives WR Stefon Diggs, a 2024 sixth-round pick (No. 189 overall) and a 2025 fifth-round pick

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-and-texans-agree-to-terms-on-trade-to-send-wr-stefon-diggs-to-houston

Given that the Vikings were 7 and 10 last season and with no Cousins now, that second could be in the top 5 picks of the round, or close.

So if we lost a 1st in a trade, we'd have a pick not too far after with the Vikings second...

Depending on how far they want to move up that 2nd they just got will be gone too 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, zevo said:

Nah. He’s supposed to lock himself in a room and reviewed film all offseason. Give me a break. 

When you're not prepared for fame, like he wasn't, maybe he should.

I was hoping we went either WR/C rounds 1 and 2. Now hoping we  flip one of our seconds next year for a third this year and go WR/C/WR in no order. 

Then D the rest of the way with a late RB. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

I think we found a Josh Allen jock strap sniffer. Enjoy the smell. 

Are you saying that Tom Brady did not play golf in the off seasons?  Or was he also not a leader?

Raise your hand if you think the Bills made this move without the blessing of Josh Allen.

Keep your hand raised high because I want to know who to offer this bridge to, down the road from me, for a sum of money.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

The Bills will carry a dead money charge of $31.096 million next season after trading Diggs, according to Roster Management System. That will be the highest-known dead money charge ever for a wide receiver in any season, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

I hope you are right. 

No...the cap hit is this year.  And since Diggs had a cap hit of over $27M this year anyway...the difference is only a bit over $3M on this year's cap.  Next year, Diggs is off the books entirely.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not trying to pile on Diggs but these playoff stats are a real eye opener:

Going back to the 2021 season Diggs has played in 6 playoff games.  His numbers underwhelm:

Targets = 46

Catches = 27 (less then 60% catch rate)

Yards = 289 (less then 11 yards per catch)

TD's = 0

In these 6 games Diggs had only one 100 yard game (7 - 114); the other 5 games saw Diggs with 60, 52, 35, 21 & 7 receiving yards.

Over the course of these 6 games Allen was superb throwing the football for 1642 passing yards & 16 TD passes and only 3 INT's.

And Diggs was targeted 46 times.

Over this period Diggs was the 2nd best player on the Bills just behind Allen.  And it's fair to say that Diggs under performed in 5 of the 6 playoff games since 2021.  That is not acceptable for a WR #1 in clutch time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I think that message was out there about three years ago.

You might think so but as most attest it’s very hard for the new leader to truly take charge when the old leader (or co-leader) keeps hanging around stealing the oxygen from the building. That is now officially over. 

• Agree 2

When you have a top 5 QB, there is no such thing as rebuilding.

No matter how many holes the rest of the roster has, if you have an elite QB you are always a playoff contender.  That's why it is worth literally everything to get one.

Let's be honest, the entire Bills roster is mostly replacement-level NFL average, with a couple above average players sprinkled around.  Every team has an Oliver, Dawkins, Milano to go with their rando commandos.

Was Diggs good? Yes.  Was he a top 5 WR? No.  Can he be replaced?  Yes.

One Josh Allen is worth 50 Stefon Diggs.  Swap rosters with the Panthers or the Falcons and we'll still have a strong chance at the division and an even stronger chance to make the postseason tournament.

Plus, now you don't have to make excuses and pretend that your best WR is ACTUALLY a team-first leader and not a selfish diva who is always a nanosecond away from blowing up the entire franchise.

Edited by akm0404
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I think we found a Josh Allen jock strap sniffer. Enjoy the smell. 

I think you took "Who's Stefon Diggs?" waaaay too seriously and typed a novel in response to a simple joke.

Have a lovely Wednesday.

• Haha (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, babulator said:

I wonder if they run this past JA17 before hand? I bet he had some input... or had to give his... blessing. Thats an angle to ponder as well. 🤔

….it may have been an answer to his prayers. 🙏 

😋

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I hope you are right. 

I understood the 31 million dead cap went against the 2024 season and there is zero Diggs dead cap money in 2025.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, CaptnCoke11 said:

Depending on how far they want to move up that 2nd they just got will be gone too 

Perhaps. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a move up for the Big 3 but for Thomas maybe in the late teens. The board may lose their minds but perhaps they don't want to risk him making it to 28, and maybe the Bills also get a 4th as well in return?