DE Austin Johnson visiting the Bills today - UPDATE: DaQuan Jones says we got him

42 minutes ago, Johnnyp566 said:

If not Johnson the well is about dried up on serviceable rotational pieces. It’s a bit disappointing as this team needs 3 more deep at this position. 

Teair Tart is a good under 30 rotational piece as well. My guess is one of them ends up here. Then there's the Draft and I'd expect WR and DT to be taken as our picks in Round 1 and Round 2, in whatever order Beane sees best with how the board falls.

We got Jones back to fill our hole at starting 1T, which was the most important thing. But with where we were at financially and everything we had to, we kind of had to let the market come to us for rotational depth. Unfortunately, the DT market was both very active and very expensive. 

But I think we'll still get a good veteran rotational piece and a high Draft pick (possibly another later) and we should be good. I wouldn't rule out Jordan Phillips returning as back of the roster depth too if he decides he wants to give it another go.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/20/2024 at 1:34 PM, Process said:

Push these out a week. Having guys visit in spring with 4 inches of snow on the ground isn't a great first impression. The weather here stinks right now. Yuk. Finny because we actually had a great winter. 

I love the snow. Every cold brisk day is a gift.

• Haha (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sign the papers man!  Then get Calais Campbell & Blackmon or Simmons in here

& we are good to DRAFT 

I think they are comfortable with Rapp and Edwards at the safety and will likely bring in a rookie for depth and competition while Hamlin and Lewis are primary backups and special teams players. But I do think this team needs rotational DT's. The Bills usually carry 5 DT's with 4 active on game day. Right now the Bills have 2 on the roster. Campbell would be a great add he will be 38 but is actually coming off a solid season with 7 sacks and good advanced metrics. I think DT is going to have some depth added as I can't see them going into the draft needing to grab 2-3 bodies there. 

• Roundybout changed the title to DE Austin Johnson visiting the Bills today - UPDATE: DaQuan Jones says we got him
3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

LOL.  A player breaking the news via social media about another player.  This is a new one.

Not for nothing:

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2013/03/penn_state_football_who_is_aus.html

“Penn State defensive tackle Austin Johnson is a hot name during the second week of the Nittany Lions' spring practice. He's emerged as a candidate to start alongside senior DaQuan Jones on the interior of Penn State's defensive line.”

Edited by appoo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2023 vs 2024 so far:

DE - Downgrade, lost Floyd

DT - Upgrade, added Johnson

LB - Upgrade, get Milano back

CB - No Change

S - Downgrade, Younger but unproven

This signing makes me feel MUCH better about our Defense heading into the Draft.  Dependent upon Von at DE, but Austin Johnson is better than anyone we had last year after Jones & Oliver. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Sorry, I don't trust the source 🤣

Just keep worrying about the team.  You seem really good at that man.  

I would be a little more concerned about how the Sooners are going to do entering the SEC next season.  I am sure you guys won’t suck.  But should be interesting.  

But good signing by the Bills🏈🏈

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

2023 vs 2024 so far:

CB - No Change

This signing makes me feel MUCH better about our Defense heading into the Draft.  Dependent upon Von at DE, but Austin Johnson is better than anyone we had last year after Jones & Oliver. 

let’s see what happens in the draft. I know people are hell bent about a WR in the first but there’s a ton of depth there…we might stumble on a pass rushing 3T or DE with a mid 1st round  grade.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Let’s see the contract - Beane has a history of overpaying these interior d vets, maybe he’s adapting.

1yr up to $4m

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Let’s see the contract - Beane has a history of overpaying these interior d vets, maybe he’s adapting.

If he’s settled on Edwards & Rapp being our starters (which, to be clear, terrifies me) then he doesn’t have much FA business left 

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

1yr up to $4m

Beane is killing it 

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

2023 vs 2024 so far:

CB - No Change

The problem with DT is that we have a single legit pass rusher from the interior in Oliver and we really need someone who can do that behind him.

If Jer’zahn Newton is there when the bills are picking in the first I’d hope they seriously consider him 

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Solid signing and good run stuffer.  I like that Beane has been able to fill out the defensive interior line in FA and allows more flexibility in the draft.

I am really confused what position this guy plays. In OP Schefter says he's a DE, you say he is a run stuffing DT. 

So what is he in our scheme? Oliver backup or Jones backup?

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

I am really confused what position this guy plays. In OP Schefter says he's a DE, you say he is a run stuffing DT. 

Hes a run stuffing DT

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

Jones. He only got listed as a DE cause he was in a 3-4 on his last team.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they are comfortable with Rapp and Edwards at the safety and will likely bring in a rookie for depth and competition while Hamlin and Lewis are primary backups and special teams players. But I do think this team needs rotational DT's. The Bills usually carry 5 DT's with 4 active on game day. Right now the Bills have 2 on the roster. Campbell would be a great add he will be 38 but is actually coming off a solid season with 7 sacks and good advanced metrics. I think DT is going to have some depth added as I can't see them going into the draft needing to grab 2-3 bodies there. 

I'd be stoked if they could draft Sweat and Maason Smith. Oliver, Jones, Johnson, Sweat and Smith....(who can play inside or out.)

Miller, Groot, A.J., Latu and Javon Solomon. That's 10 Dline.

Maybe later in the draft we can P.S. stash guys like Cedric Johnson and Crumedy.

I'm hoping for a shift in Defensive philosophy. ie: 4-3 base and sending a LB on every play...or a 5-2-4....and/or more line stunts. I pray that McD at some point realizes that we have to be able to play both zone and man. He's gonna have to trust those 1 on 1 match ups at some point if he wants to get pressure up front.

I really want to see some innovation and freshness to the defense, especially week to week and opponent specific.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, appoo said:

If he’s settled on Edwards & Rapp being our starters (which, to be clear, terrifies me) then he doesn’t have much FA business left 

Beane is killing it 

The problem with DT is that we have a single legit pass rusher from the interior in Oliver and we really need someone who can do that behind him.

If Jer’zahn Newton is there when the bills are picking in the first I’d hope they seriously consider him 

Or if Byron Murphy III slips, and AD Mitchell and BT Jr are off the board, I'd be good with Murphy, too.

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

He’s a 1tech NT in our defense. We’ve needed a depth 1tech for a while. Settle was more of a big 3tech, same as Phillips. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I'd be stoked if they could draft Sweat and Maason Smith. Oliver, Jones, Johnson, Sweat and Smith....(who can play inside or out.)

Miller, Groot, A.J., Latu and Javon Solomon. That's 10 Dline.

Maybe later in the draft we can P.S. stash guys like Cedric Johnson and Crumedy.

I'm hoping for a shift in Defensive philosophy. ie: 4-3 base and sending a LB on every play...or a 5-2-4....and/or more line stunts. I pray that McD at some point realizes that we have to be able to play both zone and man. He's gonna have to trust those 1 on 1 match ups at some point if he wants to get pressure up front.

I really want to see some innovation and freshness to the defense, especially week to week and opponent specific.

You seem to be poaching some other teams draft picks to make that happen. Sweat is early day 2 probably. Smith won't get to round 4. Latu is a first round pick. Javon Solomon probably day 2. Gonna wait and use fifth round picks on WR again, Sean? 

11 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

WGR was talking about him as a DT.  In the game against us, Johnson was huge in shutting down our run game and is a complimentary DT.  Johnson seems capable of playing alongside Ed or Jones, but specifically effective on running down.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

You seem to be poaching some other teams draft picks to make that happen. Sweat is early day 2 probably. Smith won't get to round 4. Latu is a first round pick. Javon Solomon probably day 2. Gonna wait and use fifth round picks on WR again, Sean? 

I believe Beane will create picks. There's no way he goes from 60 to 128 sitting on his hands. This draft is huge in establishing a good solid core on both sides.

Since there are a few teams with more than one pick in rds. 2 and 3, I can see him selling next years 1st to create another 2nd and 3rd.

Latu/Murphy  28

Sweat   41

Burton  60

Walker  88

Smith   128

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I believe Beane will create picks. There's no way he goes from 60 to 128 sitting on his hands. This draft is huge in establishing a good solid core on both sides.

Since there are a few teams with more than one pick in rds. 2 and 3, I can see him selling next years 1st to create another 2nd and 3rd.

Latu/Murphy  28

Sweat   41

Burton  60

Walker  88

Smith   128

I would be thrilled with the picks!

2 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Latu/Murphy  28

Sweat   41

Burton  60

Walker  88

Smith   128

The 2025 first gets you #41 and #88? I thought the rule of thumb is that you mark down a round on the draft chart for the following year, but obviously, a first rounder has value. That's interesting, in any event. I give you credit for creative thinking. Burton is rising, so #60 might be right. I'd rather take Legette if he happened to still be there, and I like Polk at #60, actually. I think it's more likely Beane trades up for a WR in the mid-first, and holds onto his 2025 first. I'd be surprised if he traded it.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Latu/Murphy  28

Sweat   41

Burton  60

Walker  88

Smith   128

This might be the one year I'm okay with trading our 1st in the following draft to move up.  We have a good understanding of what our gaps are for the next few years, so if Beane see's someone he can lock up now, go for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1