CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

My anger is about spending limited cap $ on a redundant asset.  Had he spent $8 mill on a boundary receiver who could stretch the field, I might be disappointed we weren’t going young, but I’d be glad we filled an obvious roster hole.  

Samuel is also not as good as the people here think he is.

I would have preferred a more natural fit for the Gabe role personally… as I agree that Samuel won’t be used there more than 20-25% …

Obviously they now seek to fill this hole in the draft 

But Like I said a few days back … they were always making a move like this to add more vet experience to the WR Room… we don’t even know who Shorter is … so leaving Shakir and Diggs to team up with two rookies was never going to work for this conservative brains trust ..

I assume Beane just couldn’t compete on the prices that the other guys went for which may have been better fit for the Gabe role 

I still expect him to be a producer in this  team …  I’ll take 600 yards out of him ..this is less than Gabe last year  … but now more mouths to feed 

Edited by Aussie Joe

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

The last two years 75% of his snaps were in the slot.  He is no longer any type of threat from the outside.  Sorry but that is the fact.  I know you and others are desperate for this to be a great signing that makes this offense more dangerous.  I get it, but his stats from the last two years say that isn’t what we are getting.  We are getting a slot receiver who isn’t as good as what we already have. 

Will he get snaps when Shakir and Diggs are on the field? Sure, but he’ll be the 4th, 5th or 6th option on those downs.  To me that’s a waste of cap resources.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

While I am fine with the signing, for this kind of money they could’ve landed D Hop last offseason.  I would really like to get past the era where Beane is still learning hard lessons.  I mean at least he adapts, but damn.

They held on hope to Davis too long. I think we’ll see Samuel and another talented WR addition in the draft.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm happy with that move. But it further underlines to me that the need in the draft is for a vertical threat, downfield receiver.

I'd consider a guy with Samuel's speed a vertical threat. That said, I do think it pins us down to a size prospect and eliminates someone like Ladd from likelihood.

Just now, GASabresIUFan said:

The last two years 75% of his snaps were in the slot.  He is no longer any type of threat from the outside.  Sorry but that is the fact.  I know you and others are desperate for this to be a great signing that makes this offense more dangerous.  I get it, but his stats from the last two years say that isn’t what we are getting.  We are getting a slot receiver who isn’t as good as what we already have. 

Will he get snaps when Shakir and Diggs are on the field? Sure, but he’ll be the 4th, 5th or 6th option on those downs.  To me that’s a waste of cap resources.  

So he is going to get worse under Allen.  Got it.

Tell me what made Shakir our best offensive weapon down the stretch with his zero TD's, 2.8 catches per game in the last 6.  Please tell me.

Diggs will get our most targets.  Its either going to be Kincaid or Samuel as our next leader in targets.  Samuel will line up all over the field with us and not just in the slot.

"Sorry but that is a fact" lol.    

• Like (+1) 2

The only thing I hate about this move is the amount of people who now think we're set at WR and want to bang the table that Round 1 WR is now off the table. It's absolutely not.

Samuel is a great player and represents the top end in both talent and price tag of a WR that DOESN'T preclude us from Drafting a WR in Round 1.

If we had paid 13-23m a year for a True Outside WR like Davis, Mooney, and Ridley are and got, sure. But as a 8m a year guy who works predominantly out of the Slot - he fits perfectly into the price and role of a high end 3rd option, with the skill to be the secondary passing option if the Rookie takes some time and a floor of providing more from the WR position behind Diggs than we got last season.

The plan this offseason was always to get Josh help. To go from a decent, yet limited core to a great one. Replacing Gabe Davis, Deonte Harty, and Trent Sherfield with Curtis Samuel and Mack Hollins doesn't do that. Samuel replaces Harty (in a BIG way) and Hollins replaces Sherfield. But we still need to replace Gabe with an Outside guy.

We still need another big option and we're going to get one early in the Draft.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Not for nothing, but it seems like Samuel also has no problem sticking up for his QB when the chips are down! Definitely nice to have some bite out there to go with the bark imho…

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10097977-commanders-curtis-samuel-giants-cordale-flott-ejected-for-fighting-after-howell-td.amp.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

My anger is about spending limited cap $ on a redundant asset.  Had he spent $8 mill on a boundary receiver who could stretch the field, I might be disappointed we weren’t going young, but I’d be glad we filled an obvious roster hole.  

Samuel is also not as good as the people here think he is.

Please do elaborate

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Davis - Yards/Reception for his career 16.7. Yards/game 42.7.  Success % 51.5

Samuel - Yards/reception for his career 10.7. Yards/game 37.2.  Success % 48

Not sure how he is an upgrade on anything.  He doesn’t stretch the field as well as Davis, he does gain more yards despite more catches, and he doesn’t help 1st downs at a greater rate than Davis.  

Do you know the other thing he doesn’t do as well as Davis?  He doesn’t stay as healthy. 

Gabe Davis….stays healthy?  🤣 he suits up.  He’s rarely been healthy.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

I can't believe the reaction here. Seems like a really good move, IMO.  As a Chiefs fan, I'd have been excited if we'd have done this.

This is just a normal Thursday here bro. I personally love the signing. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

I can't believe the reaction here. Seems like a really good move, IMO.  As a Chiefs fan, I'd have been excited if we'd have done this.

There's plenty of us that do love it. Some people just can't enjoy anything unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

I like the move. He’s a playmaker and has speed.  We’re loaded underneath. Beane has been preaching RAC every offseason.  Now he has it.  Samuel, cook, kincaid, shakir are all explosive playmakers imo.  Knox and Diggs aren’t too shabby either. 

He’d be a fine signing for KC.  I’m sure Veach has something up his sleeve.  

He’s just not an X in many peoples opinion, mine included.  He’s best in the slot and we already have a young up and coming slot playing on a rookie contract. We have limited resources and I can understand people preferring to invest resources to fill and immediate hole.  Samuel is almost a luxury based on his skill set. Maybe those people are wrong and Samuel can fill the roll outside.  Brady will just have to get creative.  I suspect that we’ll be seeing some Mack Hollins playing more X than many think.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

@Billl stop looking at games played.  He’s had a hurt foot for 4 straight years. You can disagree, it just means that you’re wrong. 

Aka Boo-Boo foot Davis. 

Look at the contracts that are getting thrown around.  If you spend this type of money, you get a guy with a busted foot and hope he stays healthy.  That's the market.  It's unpopular here, but Beane could have given Davis a 4 year $32 million extension a year ago.

5 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

We’re missing Gabe now?  Funny ***** 

I love the meltdowns on here. Makes the signing even better.  

Were people actually missing Gabe Davis?  What The Hell Comedy GIF by Paramount+

• Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Look at the contracts that are getting thrown around.  If you spend this type of money, you get a guy with a busted foot and hope he stays healthy.  That's the market.  It's unpopular here, but Beane could have given Davis a 4 year $32 million extension a year ago.

What does this have to do with gabe staying healthy?  Gabe Davis is a jag that got filthy rich because of Josh Allen.  He’s just a guy.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What does this have to do with gabe staying healthy?  Gabe Davis is a jag that got filthy rich because of Josh Allen.  He’s just a guy.  

He's literally a JAG

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Lol.  He’s a slot receiver.  He had 7 carries last year. 7!  

I’d love this signing if we didn’t have a better player already in slot.  Had Beane signed someone like Samuel when Beasley left I’d be happy as anyone else here, but Shakir has developed into a very good player, who was one our best offensive players down the stretch last season.  To me this is just over priced depth with money that would be better spent elsewhere.

He played outside WR (And had his best stats that season) at Carolina with Joe Brady at OC. I don't think it's fair to say he is a slot WR only imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IMO Beane may trade our 2025 1st to get high enough for Brian Thomas Jr. Hopefully he can pull it without that but challenging.  

Don’t see them going that high. I think Thomas is going in the teens and by teens I mean like 12-17. That would also require a 3rd rounder we don’t have which means we had to go 1st this year and 1st and 2nd next which I can’t see them doing 

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

Don’t see them going that high. I think Thomas is going in the teens and by teens I mean like 12-17. That would also require a 3rd rounder we don’t have which means we had to go 1st this year and 1st and 2nd next which I can’t see them doing 

fine then trade 28 and next years 2nd and a 4th for DK Metcalf 😎 ahahah

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Well the good news for you is that we’ve disagreed with pretty much everything ever, and, to put it lightly, my track record has been better than yours.

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IMO Beane may trade our 2025 1st to get high enough for Brian Thomas Jr. Hopefully he can pull it without that but challenging.  

Would it take that much? If so, not worth it.  I am only giving up that pick for Marvin Harrison Junior.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

He played outside WR (And had his best stats that season) at Carolina with Joe Brady at OC. I don't think it's fair to say he is a slot WR only imo.

they aren’t ready to confront reality yet. 

we just swapped out a very limited player that couldn’t move inside, and moved like a cruise ship on the outside for a guy that can play both roles or out of the backfield dynamically… 

and is the only player in the building that’s been in a full Joe Brady install and not just Brady running Dorsey’s offense on the fly 

and did it for 5M a year less… 

is Samuel an all pro? No. Is he a wr2 in this league? Sure thing.

Knock on wood we get a stacked room with an elite rookie, diggs, Samuel, Shakir  this year and are set with rookie-Samuel-Shakir in 2025 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1