NFL Scouting Combine 2024

KingBoots8

6 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Turns out it was a hip flexor, and he will participate at the pro day in April. 

That's a relief, I popped/pulled my groin in college (not in a fun way). I was out for a couple months... it sucks, and it always felt like it could happen at any time again.

Posted (edited)

They just discussed Robert Saleh is not present currently at the combine but will be flying in tomorrow to watch the remaining players. Seems strange to me, but then again this is the Jets we are talking about…

So all he is going to be seeing will be QBs, RBs, WRs and OL Players.

Also stated the Giants are a team that could potentially make a jump from 6 to get a QB possibly

Edited by KingBoots8

14 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

They just discussed Robert Saleh is not present currently at the combine but will be flying in tomorrow to watch the remaining players. Seems strange to me, but then again this is the Jets we are talking about…

So all he is going to be seeing will be QBs, RBs, WRs and OL Players.

Also stated the Giants are a team that could potentially make a jump from 6 to get a QB possibly

Robert Saleh is a poser.

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Some quick thoughts over the past couple minutes:

- Damn. Javon Bullard ran a 4.47. I was hoping he'd run a little slower.

- On the flip side, Kam Kitchens just ran a 4.65.

- Tyler Owens may not believe in Outer Space, but I bet he believes in that hammy he just pulled on his first 40 run. Between his ridiculous quotes and now this, his agent must be thrilled with his Combine 😆

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Safety 40 Times:

Deijahn Anthony: 4.56, 4.58

Cole Bishop: 4.45, 4.49 

Millard Bradford: 4.47, 4.42

Javon Bullard: 4.47, X (self-stop), 4.48

Calen Bullock: 4.49, 4.54

Jaylon Carlies: 4.5, 4.54

Dominique Hampton: 4.51, 4.54

Jaylen Key: 4.6, 4.64

Kamren Kinchens: 4.65, 4.68

Kitan Oladapo: 4.58, 4.6

Taylor Owens: X (groin injury, stopped mid-run. Done for day per reports)

Josh Proctor: 4.6, 4.56

Demani Richardson: 4.6, 4.61

Andre Sam: 4.59, 4.62

Jaylin Simpson: 4.47, 4.45

Tykee Smith: 4.48, 4.46

Dadrion Taylor-Demerson: 4.42, 4.41

Sione Vaki: 4.62, 4.62

Evan Williams: 4.61, 4.62

James Williams: 4.65, 4.67

Beane interviewing in 15 mins apx.

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Posted (edited)

During drills I’m seeing a LOT of safeties slipping on the turf. Not a knock on them, but I legit just saw 4 in a row have an issue breaking left

4 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

I want Cole Bishop in the 2nd round

I wanted him in the 3rd but he probably won’t be there at pick 100 after today. Bishop looks really good and I was high on him before the draft. If we get to the 80s and he’s floating around I’d be willing to package a 5th and 6th to move if a team is willing to bite

Edited by KingBoots8

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Bishop, Bullard, and Tykee Smith were my favorites coming in, and they still are. 

Yep. I wasn’t sure about Smith but I think in the 4th he makes a lot of sense. Maybe 3rd but I’m not sold on taking him that early just yet

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Yep. I wasn’t sure about Smith but I think in the 4th he makes a lot of sense. Maybe 3rd but I’m not sold on taking him that early just yet

Right. If you want Bishop or Bullard, it's day 2 for certain. I'm hoping Smith is the day 3 option.

• Agree 1

Posted this in the "2024 WR Class" as I found it fitting, though it may be better fitted here.

Brandon Beane was just talking to Rich Eisen and Daniel Jeremiah at the Combine.

A lot of it was about the Drafting of Josh, Josh as a player, the Bills vs. The Chiefs, etc. But they ended with this:

Eisen: What are you willing to share - how do you think your Receiver room is going to look like?

Beane: Yeah, I mean listen, we always want to get better. I know everyone's (the media) always worried about Steph Diggs and all that - but Steph is here and we look forward to having him back next season and hopefully adding more players and more talent to him. We're always looking for more playmakers. Last year we Drafted a Tight End in Dalton Kincaid and people were like "why didn't you go get a Receiver"? We look at it more as we want mismatches and playmakers whether it's a Tight End, a Receiver, or a Running Back - whoever.

A couple things there:

- He seems to understand that everyone knows we're in the WR market and though he doesn't deny it, he always seems to throw in TE or RB. Downplaying the need for WR specifically and focusing on playmakers as a whole. Surely by design.

- He shut down the media notion of Diggs possibly being moved. Diggs is going to be here this year. End of story. 

- While I do think the mentioning of RB is probably simply mentioning other playmakers that aren't WR to not completely tip his hand - he has mentioned the position on multiple occasions now. Makes me wonder if he's thinking about it higher than I'd expect. Certainly not Round 1 or Round 2. But maybe higher than the Round 5-7 I think we'd all expect/prefer.

I think if a guy like Braelon Allen at a muscular, bruising 245 is available at the bottom of Round 3 or top of Round 4 - that may be something he considers in a move up from 4.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

I want Cole Bishop in the 2nd round

Free agency is LOADED with safeties every offseason.    Because even if they play up to expectations nobody wants to pay them.   Because they are easily replaced.    

Now add that to the fact that even prime All-Pro level Hyde and Poyer in 2020-2021 were helpless against Mahomes...........why would anyone want to use a high pick on a safety?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Bishop, Bullard, and Tykee Smith were my favorites coming in, and they still are. 

Yup those 3 and Cole Bullock and Tyler Nubin. Hopefully we walk out of the draft with one of these 5. All looked impressive today. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, wppete said:

Yup those 3 and Cole Bullock and Tyler Nubin. Hopefully we walk out of the draft with one of these 5. All looked impressive today. 

What about Vaki & Proctor? Not a fan?

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Right. If you want Bishop or Bullard, it's day 2 for certain. I'm hoping Smith is the day 3 option.

Agreed.  Tykee any round on day 3 would be a great selection.  I’ll be kinda pissed if we draft a S on day 2.  Furious if we draft one on the first day.  

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Free agency is LOADED with safeties every offseason.    Because even if they play up to expectations nobody wants to pay them.   Because they are easily replaced.    

Now add that to the fact that even prime All-Pro level Hyde and Poyer in 2020-2021 were helpless against Mahomes...........why would anyone want to use a high pick on a safety?

If he isn’t a Kyle Hamilton/sean Taylor type then no thanks in the first 

2 hours ago, CNYfan said:

My thought on Caleb is that USC didn't win many games.  

I only have Caleb as my QB2 and a mid-1st round grade rather than the consensus opinion that he's a generational prospect. Having said that, I think if Caleb had a credible team around him in college, they would have won a lot of games. They still went 8-5 but their defense was literally one of the worst in the entire country; not even just talking about the power conferences. And the OLine and receivers weren't particularly good either.

6 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Nate Wiggins felt a pop in his groin after running 4.29 and is being taken back for evaluation. Already been told he is done for the day.

Any word on Mike Sainristil during the combine. I'd love to see the Bills draft him.

37 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I only have Caleb as my QB2 and a mid-1st round grade rather than the consensus opinion that he's a generational prospect. Having said that, I think if Caleb had a credible team around him in college, they would have won a lot of games. They still went 8-5 but their defense was literally one of the worst in the entire country; not even just talking about the power conferences. And the OLine and receivers weren't particularly good either.

Grading 21-22 year old kids isn't a exact science

But he has wayyy more tools than joe burrow or Justin Fields or darnold or Baker or Bryce young or cj stroud 

Since football is an inexact science and you're playing against 11 other individuals you have to scout traits as much as anything else

"Generational prospect" is tossed around too much 

But he's tapping all the boxes..  it doesn't mean he's going to be an all pro quarterback for a decade it means the 22-year-old version of him is a great prospect

He's a way crisper and more explosive deshaun Watson pre suspension with a bigger arm

If you watch every single snap from the start of their freshman years there is not a real comparison between him and Drake Maye or Daniels

There is a reason why professional scouts for the most part are oozing over his talent

There's always a few edgy scouts who wants to go against the grain but there's a reason why the vast majority think he's tremendous and #1 in 24

His athleticism and arm strength coupled with his accuracy and poise is incredible for a 22 year old

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Posted this in the "2024 WR Class" as I found it fitting, though it may be better fitted here.

Brandon Beane was just talking to Rich Eisen and Daniel Jeremiah at the Combine.

A lot of it was about the Drafting of Josh, Josh as a player, the Bills vs. The Chiefs, etc. But they ended with this:

How many times someone gotta ask Beane the drafting Josh Allen story ?  Must be at least the third time I have heard it THIS Combine..let alone the 100 times he has told it before… Beane must be so sick of telling that story,,,

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's all about getting there with the front 4 with mahomes. If you don't...

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Grading 21-22 year old kids isn't a exact science

But he has wayyy more tools than joe burrow or Justin Fields or darnold or Baker or Bryce young or cj stroud 

Since football is an inexact science and you're playing against 11 other individuals you have to scout traits as much as anything else

"Generational prospect" is tossed around too much 

But he's tapping all the boxes..  it doesn't mean he's going to be an all pro quarterback for a decade it means the 22-year-old version of him is a great prospect

He's a way crisper and more explosive deshaun Watson pre suspension with a bigger arm

If you watch every single snap from the start of their freshman years there is not a real comparison between him and Drake Maye or Daniels

There is a reason why professional scouts for the most part are oozing over his talent

There's always a few edgy scouts who wants to go against the grain but there's a reason why the vast majority think he's tremendous and #1 in 24

His athleticism and arm strength coupled with his accuracy and poise is incredible for a 22 year old

His weakness is his childlike behavior and his entourage around him including his father. I also do not believe he is a lock to be a superstar. I have very much compared him to Kyler Murray more than a Patrick Mahomes. 

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

His weakness is his childlike behavior and his entourage around him including his father. I also do not believe he is a lock to be a superstar. I have very much compared him to Kyler Murray more than a Patrick Mahomes. 

But even his childlike behavior is coming from outside sources and secondary sources

You've never seen Caleb Williams ever act like he didn't care about football.. heck he cried when he lost

Certainly the professional side of the game is the only thing that people are questioning

But nobody really knows unless you have talked to Caleb Williams

Kyler Murray is also a certified midget for the NFL.. Caleb is built right.. I'll guess 6'2 220 pounds 

He's built right

Edited by Buffalo716

38 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Wow

His dad was a douche when Caleb was at OU. He is living through his son and at the same time doing all he can to destroy his career before it starts.  I mean Caleb is a douche as well ( Apple / tree?) But still.

12 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

His dad was a douche when Caleb was at OU. He is living through his son and at the same time doing all he can to destroy his career before it starts.  I mean Caleb is a douche as well ( Apple / tree?) But still.

You are just sad that he transferred out

One of my good friends played for Oklahoma.. is a sooner and a booster and contribute to money yearly to the program

And he has nothing but good words to say about Caleb and that he is undoubtedly the number one quarterback

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m not knocking him over stuff like his father personally. I just don’t think he’s a can’t miss QB prospect the way Burrow and Lawrence for example were. Caleb has incredible physical gifts, but I don’t think his accuracy is anything to write home about right now; he particularly struggled with placement on intermediate passes. His reads pre-snap and immediately post-snap are atrocious IMO. He created so many places for USC but if he could simply read a defense, his life would have been a lot easier. And he has a lot of the same mechanical flaws that Maye has (which to be fair, I think are very fixable). But the main thing is I simply think Maye is a better passer right now and much better reading the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It's all about getting there with the front 4 with mahomes. If you don't...

With the lack of dominant pass rushers in the league nowadays and the amount you have to pay the ones who are, I’d rather have blanket coverage across the board where he’s put in a position to wait for the decision. That’s easier said than done with the play calling/design and his talents. 

Pressure certainly bursts pipes but getting a diamond out of that scenario is far more tricky. Think it’s more fruitful to invest in the secondary again. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Jerboski said:

If he isn’t a Kyle Hamilton/sean Taylor type then no thanks in the first 

No safety is considered a top 50 player this year so we should be safe😆. But as for round 2, there is a good chance the value could line up, so prepare yourself.

On 2/29/2024 at 6:13 PM, Chicken Boo said:

Let me guess, he thinks Earth is flat as well and that dinosaurs never existed?  

I know a person like this.

Hopefully you slapped him upside the head, very violently. 

On 2/29/2024 at 11:07 PM, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Sorry I misunderstood! I'd do #28, 2024 3rd & 5th, and our 2025 2nd if the right guy was there. Or... if a team like the Seahawks or Saints want a man corner with some experience and upside, Elam instead of the '24 3rd

I'm on a very similar thought process as well. If it means getting an alpha type prospect, I think you gotta do it. Especially at WR, where I don't wanna "settle" for Franklin, who I think will get snapped in half in man coverage for a few years, if not his entire career.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
  • Haha (+1) 1