Which QB Will Win Their First SB Next?

I know I shouldn’t get upset by this stuff but Get Up had a segment this morning: which QB will win their first Super Bowl next?  Greenberg had his five ranked (5) Herbert; (4) Jackson; (3) Burrow; (2) Purdy; and (1) Love.  Why NFC QB’s # 1 and 2?  AFC QB’s can’t get by Mahones, maybe an NFC QB will get there and then luck out to a win.  The three other panelists had Burrow as their pick. Why?  Only Burrow has the mental strength to look across the field at Mahones and say to himself, “ I’m going to win this game”. Paraphrasing but you get the point.  How about Allen?  This year was his best chance and he couldn’t get it done (said the same about Jackson).  

Honestly, I’m thinking of switching to being a fan of the Premier League for a couple of years.  This stuff is going to be unbearable.8

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

i get the rationale behind not listing Allen tbh

look at his playoff stats. He literally can't do any better and the Bills haven't even come close

I’d consider making the AFC title game coming close, but I understand your point.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

i get the rationale behind not listing Allen tbh

look at his playoff stats. He literally can't do any better and the Bills haven't even come close

I mean, I don’t put things on Josh. But at the end of the day we had the ball last against a team and player that is viewed as the best and we didn’t score a TD.  We can go on all day about how others haven’t scored TD’s, others had FG kickers hit the FG, but we needed that drive. You expect the best in NFL history to get that drive. So I don’t think I’m going to say he can’t do any better. I would hope most on here would want and expect him to close that one out. If we say in future we have the ball last, down 3, vs the very best, most teams will say sure and will acknowledge they have to score or they just aren’t the team.

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I mean, I don’t put things on Josh. But at the end of the day we had the ball last against a team and player that is viewed as the best and we didn’t score a TD.  We can go on all day about how others haven’t scored TD’s, others had FG kickers hit the FG, but we needed that drive. You expect the best in NFL history to get that drive. So I don’t think I’m going to say he can’t do any better. I would hope most on here would want and expect him to close that one out. If we say in future we have the ball last, down 3, vs the very best, most teams will say sure and will acknowledge they have to score or they just aren’t the team.

We didn't have the ball last, KC ran the clock out on us

Just like we didn't have the ball the last 13seconds of the previous playoff game Allen would have won 

If your expectations are that he also call the defense and kick the FGs then sure he could do more

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We didn't have the ball last, KC ran the clock out on us

Just like we didn't have the ball the last 13seconds of the previous playoff game Allen would have won 

If your expectations are that he also call the defense and kick the FGs then sure he could do more

I’m not talking about 13 seconds. He most certainly did anything a player could do in that game. I’m talking about the playoff game against KC. 

Any hall of fame QB in history will take the ball in that situation. So when you say he did all he could do, sorry but he needs to score on that drive. He had the chances. In addition to nearly not having a chance with the fumble. I don’t expect you to agree. That’s fine. 

• Agree 1

I don’t even want to discuss Allen in this post, because these talking heads are a joke, but some of the other QB’s listed are ridiculous. Jackson can barely move his offense in the playoffs, and Love was a mediocre QB in GB until late in the season. I know a lot of people like Jordan Love, but I’m not convinced he doesn’t regress next season. I don’t think we’re seeing a genuinely great QB. His game has a lot of weaknesses, and LaFleur’s system helps him a lot. Love can make all the throws, but he’s wildly inconsistent, and not in a Josh Allen way. 

This is easy.

List of QBs that have 3 or more wins vs. Pat Mahomes era Chiefs

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Burrow

3. Josh Allen

Brady is retired,  Burrow has trouble staying healthy so next up has to be Josh Allen.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

15 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

I know I shouldn’t get upset by this stuff but Get Up had a segment this morning: which QB will win their first Super Bowl next?  Greenberg had his five ranked (5) Herbert; (4) Jackson; (3) Burrow; (2) Purdy; and (1) Love.  Why NFC QB’s # 1 and 2?  AFC QB’s can’t get by Mahones, maybe an NFC QB will get there and then luck out to a win.  The three other panelists had Burrow as their pick. Why?  Only Burrow has the mental strength to look across the field at Mahones and say to himself, “ I’m going to win this game”. Paraphrasing but you get the point.  How about Allen?  This year was his best chance and he couldn’t get it done (said the same about Jackson).  

Honestly, I’m thinking of switching to being a fan of the Premier League for a couple of years.  This stuff is going to be unbearable.8

Lamar over Allen is a laugh. Yes, Baltimore might be a better team but until they get a better QB they aren't going anywhere. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

In the next year or two I would say Burrow. Bengals have a very good team and they have proven they can beat KC in the playoffs. A few years from now it will be Herbert. Harbaugh knows how to win. He will do a good job there. As for Allen, I don't see it happening with McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Herbert but not Allen? Crazy talk. 

In realty he means Harbaugh/Hebert rather than McDermott/Allen

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would rank NFC guys first too. But of the AFC guys I still think it is Josh Allen. 

percentage wise I rank Allen’s chances above all of the others.  But against the field of all the other AFC teams the Bills probably are not greater than 50% likely to be the breakthrough team.  

8 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Herbert but not Allen? Crazy talk. 

Welcome to the off-season hype machine. Last year was the Jets. This year with Harbaugh going to the Chargers it will be them.  And that will all be based off the almost certainty from the media that Harbaugh will "fix" Herbert.

One thing that's constant in football is that Chargers will find a way to Charger. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Welcome to the off-season hype machine. Last year was the Jets. This year with Harbaugh going to the Chargers it will be them.  And that will all be based off the almost certainty from the media that Harbaugh will "fix" Herbert.

One thing that's constant in football is that Chargers will find a way to Charger. 

I don't know about that. Harbaugh took the 49ers to the Super Bowl and then won a National Championship at Michigan. He may be a jerk personality wise, but the guy knows how to coach. The Chargers have a talented roster and Herbert is still a young guy. Give him a year or two and I would bet the Chargers will be one of the top teams competing for a Super Bowl. At least the Chiefs will have some competition for the AFCW.

• Agree 2

Well, as much as I hate to say it, at present I see KC winning two or three more over the next six or so years, hopefully Allen squeezes in one or two during that time period. 

36 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I don't know about that. Harbaugh took the 49ers to the Super Bowl and then won a National Championship at Michigan. He may be a jerk personality wise, but the guy knows how to coach. The Chargers have a talented roster and Herbert is still a young guy. Give him a year or two and I would bet the Chargers will be one of the top teams competing for a Super Bowl. At least the Chiefs will have some competition for the AFCW.

I don't think Harbaugh is a bad coach or anything. It will be interesting to see if his personality and methods are still applicable and impactful in the NFL or if it will be a case of him not being able to recreate what he had in San Francisco. 

Have to think that "talented roster" is likely to be dismantled fairly quickly as many players there are older, overpaid or both. They lack younger impact players to build around. And they almost always suffer some of the worst injury luck year in and year out.  They have almost always had more than enough talent to compete going back to the Dan Fouts/Kellen Winslow/Charlie Joiner days. 

I really don't care about the National Championship. At all. As a matter of fact, only 3 coaches have won both that and a Super Bowl. Pete Carroll, Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer...and frankly Switzer won with Jimmy's team. 

I do agree that the Chiefs will have a larger challenge now. That helps the rest of the AFC if the Chargers can even take 1 game a year from the Chiefs. 

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Houston is going to be a major problem for the next 3 years.

Good point. Stroud looks like the real deal and Ryans did a great job coaching them.  They also have a great player on the defensive side of the ball in Will Anderson Jr to build that side of the ball around. I expect the Texans to be a force in the AFC going forward.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I don't think Harbaugh is a bad coach or anything. It will be interesting to see if his personality and methods are still applicable and impactful in the NFL or if it will be a case of him not being able to recreate what he had in San Francisco. 

Have to think that "talented roster" is likely to be dismantled fairly quickly as many players there are older, overpaid or both. They lack younger impact players to build around. And they almost always suffer some of the worst injury luck year in and year out.  They have almost always had more than enough talent to compete going back to the Dan Fouts/Kellen Winslow/Charlie Joiner days. 

I really don't care about the National Championship. At all. As a matter of fact, only 3 coaches have won both that and a Super Bowl. Pete Carroll, Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer...and frankly Switzer won with Jimmy's team. 

I do agree that the Chiefs will have a larger challenge now. That helps the rest of the AFC if the Chargers can even take 1 game a year from the Chiefs. 

The one thing about the players coming out of college today is Harbaugh should be able to relate to them since he was coaching at Michigan all of those years. The Chargers may have to retool some. I do think the Chiefs will probably win the division in 2024 but give Harbaugh some time and I see them competing with the Chiefs sooner than later.

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Good point. Stroud looks like the real deal and Ryans did a great job coaching them.  They also have a great player on the defensive side of the ball in Will Anderson Jr to build that side of the ball around. I expect the Texans to be a force in the AFC going forward.

The one thing about the players coming out of college today is Harbaugh should be able to relate to them since he was coaching at Michigan all of those years. The Chargers may have to retool some. I do think the Chiefs will probably win the division in 2024 but give Harbaugh some time and I see them competing with the Chiefs sooner than later.

It's one thing to connect to players in college. Another thing to connect once they come out and have a hit the big time. 

Players at any major program have the end game of making the NFL. As a guy that played and coached there Harbaugh has that instant cred as someone that can get them there and they will follow that lead. Once they make it, it's a whole new game. Tougher to lead a room full of millionaires than it is to lead a room full of hopeful players. We shall see how it turns out over time, but I really believe it's going to turn out way different than many believe. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It's one thing to connect to players in college. Another thing to connect once they come out and have a hit the big time. 

Players at any major program have the end game of making the NFL. As a guy that played and coached there Harbaugh has that instant cred as someone that can get them there and they will follow that lead. Once they make it, it's a whole new game. Tougher to lead a room full of millionaires than it is to lead a room full of hopeful players. We shall see how it turns out over time, but I really believe it's going to turn out way different than many believe. 

It comes down to the same thing every time. WINNING. If he wins the players will follow him 100%. If not, then the players will tune him out. Happens with every coach in every sport. I do think he will do a good job with them and win a lot of games.

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

It comes down to the same thing every time. WINNING. If he wins the players will follow him 100%. If not, then the players will tune him out. Happens with every coach in every sport. I do think he will do a good job with them and win a lot of games.

On the bolded we agree 100%. Winning cures all.

• Like (+1) 1

JA17 will get the Bills a Lombardi before any of those other guys and their respective teams get one. He is the closest talent wise to Mahomes. He has been right on the cusp with different variations of this offense, and WILL break through at some point in the near future. 

I don't believe in Lamar in the Playoffs. Time and time again he just doesn't get it done. He may put up some nice regular season stats, but in the Playoffs teams know and use the blueprint for stopping him.

Burrow had one year where they clicked, but they are coming up on some business decisions and I don't trust their owner to keep set up for sustained success. They also just lost their OC so we'll see how they do with that. Then factor in Burrow's injury history and I don't trust it. 

Jordan Love, though solid this year, isn't the next in the line of Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre for GB. But the NFC is definitely top heavy so he has a chance to get there as long as they keep the defense in the top 10 scoring wise.

Purdy is the perfect system for him as a QB, but his coach has flubbed 3 SB's already. Two against the same Chiefs that we have fallen victim to. As long as their defense can carry them, because that is not Brock's game, then they have a shot since they are coming from the NFC.

Then on to Herbert. Justin Herbert. The same QB who couldn't do anything during the 2nd half of his only Playoff appearance, allowing the Jags to complete a historic comeback. Harbaugh or no Harbaugh. I don't care if they bring Bill Walsh back from the grave, I don't see it. He has a lot of ability, but he just doesn't have that same "it" factor you see in Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow. He also has to contend with Mahomes within his own division. He will be the franchise's new version of Phillip Rivers. 

I picked Burrow and the Bengals to win the SB last year but obviously that changed once Burrow was hurt in the preseason and then hurt again later ultimately ending his season.

And right now I think that's the obvious pick next year in terms of having any chance of stopping history with Chiefs 3peat because they have proven they can not only beat KC in the regular season like the Bills have, but more importantly do it in the playoffs with a defensive coordinator and scheme that also performs in the postseason.

Outside of the Bengals, I'm not sure there is anyone in the NFL currently ready to topple the Chiefs dynasty which is a scary thought thinking about how many more straight years they might dominate the AFC and NFL as a whole assuming the aforementioned can't do it in 2024. A 3peat very well might be a 4peat, 5peat, 6peat, etc especially as the best GM in the NFL keeps nailing the draft year after year.

This offseason more than any offseason I think I'm going to avoid all those shows and stick to just Bills podcasts only.  There's plenty of Bills-only content.  I know some might view this to be myopic, but I think the national media ultimately has some sort of weird "Bills fatigue" because they've been expecting us to get over the hump for the last few years and we haven't.

So now, instead of looking at the NFL and rationally understanding that the Bills still have one of the best players in the NFL at the QB position (inarguably top 5, but I think he really sits alone at #2) and will always have a shot at hoisting a trophy, they decide that because we haven't done it, we'll never do it... so let's give some other fanbases time in the spotlight.

It's fine by me.  With the dominance of the Chiefs in terms of Championships recently, I think they're just struggling for viewers and content.

20 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

But....is "Chargering" better or worse than "Billsy"?

20 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

But....is "Chargering" better or worse than "Billsy"?

i come to this board to get some entertainment and info on lots of stuff around the league and draft stuff.

i honestly don't understand how you guys can just stomach the general sports media.  i watch like 10 min clips that are linked here to whatever show on nfl or espn and they start off w some bills content (that's why they are linked here).  even then, i've not made it through  a full one.  just sitting there and watching and listening to these people would turn me off of the nfl and perhaps even the bills entirely.   

i used to be into some of the gambling guys because they used more interesting metrics, but even that has gotten crowded with lots of junk.  

not all heroes wear capes, but many of them post here.

I'd put Bryce Young ahead of both Herbert and Jackson, but Jim Harbaugh may change the equation for Herbert.  

Until Beane and McDermott show that they're interested in providing Allen with more talent at WR, I have no problem with him being off the list.  

It hasn't occurred to many here that in this media sphere, Josh is creeping into Dan Marino/Warren Moon/Phillip Rivers territory.  *Fortunately, he's still young.  

Edited by Chicken Boo