Another reason to fire McDermott

Watkins90

5 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

The Bills put far more of a premium on character and work ethic than the Chiefs do. Which is ironic when you consider some of the controversy we've had (araiza, miller, etc).

Every Chiefs game for the last 4-5 years I swear you'd think the offensive staff/players had never seen a single snap of film on Spags' defense.

Even in the biggest games at the highest level, he routinely makes these offenses look wildly unprepared for it. It's crazy. And it's even wilder to think he's already flamed out as a head coach, so chances are good he's not going anywhere any time soon either.

Yeah, unless they are an absolute POS I don’t see why you devoid yourself of upper echelon talent. If you’re as good a man in terms of character you’d be willing to assert a better figure in that persons life and give them a second chance. People make mistakes and after all this is just a business where winning is your measuring stick. 

To your Spags point, the guy was getting it nerfed all game with the motions and pre-snap checks where they showed their hand too early. San Fran stopped that and tried going 1 on 1… that 3rd down fail in OT they let Chris Jones just run on by scot free into the backfield for a pressure. That’s a 3rd down conversion if not a TD to Jennings on the out route. Sometimes people and teams just put coach themselves… SF certainly did that in a multitude of ways last night. Offensively and defensively. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

And we're 10 hours into the off-season...

offseason starts the moment the Bills have no game on their schedule.

Couldn't tell you who won the SB till this morning when I came to check on any Bills info

39 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Trey Lance says what's up.

Not close. 

Trading Mahomes to the Chiefs is the biggest reason we don’t have a title. It has actually cost us a title.

Trey Lance was a swing but it didn’t cost them nearly as much 

51 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, McD should be fired for trading the Mahomes pick even though Mahomes wouldn't have been as good in Buffalo as he is in KC. 

I'm betting if that scenario played out your stance would be that McDermott should be fired because his handpicked QB in Mahomes wasn't progressing as quickly as that Josh Allen guy in Kansas City that keeps winning Super Bowls and he should have waited a year for the QB.

Sounds like even in your hypothetical we know where the problem lies. It’s painful to watch other teams totally deflate in big moments to a chiefs team that honestly isn’t Super Bowl level. 9ers were the better team last night but Shanahan and Purdy went away from what was working and let the chiefs be the chiefs. They clawed back into it because they were allowed to do so.

I wholeheartedly know that McD is not the guy Josh needs to reach his promising potential as an all time great but it’s more about how lucky Mahomes is that he gets to have such great leadership in the chiefs organization from Owner, GM and of course Reid and Spagnola’s never wavering leadership and game management in these playoffs. McD is awful in the areas that matter most and will always find way to help his lackluster defense instead of putting his pride aside and giving the only reason we make the playoffs every year, Josh Allen, everything he needs to take us to the promised land. I hope one day we’ll get there but it sucks to go from the last couple years of knowing Josh Allen WILL make our Bills a consistent Super Bowl dynasty to now realizing Pegula is perfectly content with McD and even Beane selfishly handcuffing this organization to a different more enjoyable level of the drought years. 

Diggs realized this last year and I believe Josh knows it too but will never say it. I hope he can hold on another year and stay the rock we need until a change is finally done. He deserves better

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Not close. 

Trading Mahomes to the Chiefs is the biggest reason we don’t have a title. It has actually cost us a title.

the biggest reason is not supproting Josh Allen with better O players and following McDermott's D rotations that focused more resources on that side. Throw in McDs coaching blunders to boot.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Man with No Name said:

I read a lot of comments from 49ers fans talking about Shanahan like he is McDermott. I'm still in the McDermott is not good enough camp. What I'd like to know is who the 9ers fans think is going to be better than Shanny? 

Reid.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Watkins90 said:

This whole Chiefs dynasty falls on one man and one man only, in hindsight. 

Sean McDermott

He is the one who traded the pick to KC that they used to take Mahomes because he "hadn't had time to study the QB class" even though his owner wanted Mahomes. 

I literally felt like he should have been fired last night for making us all endure this. If Mahomes comes to Buffalo in 2017, he never turns into the QB he did. 

He isn't getting fired (and I am all for it) because Pegula is satisfied with us "just" being competitive.   If Terry was going to fire him,it would have been during the bye week or a couple days after the season.

He is here and that's that. We just have to accept the fact,and support our Bills.

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Not close. 

This is unbelievable nonsense. 

There are so many factors beyond one player for why we don’t have a Super Bowl. It’s impossible to boil it down to one trade that we made SEVEN YEARS AGO. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

This is unbelievable nonsense. 

There are so many factors beyond one player for why we don’t have a Super Bowl. It’s impossible to boil it down to one trade that we made SEVEN YEARS AGO. 

That’s what happens when you trade the GOAT of his generation to a team that knocks you out of the the playoffs almost every year. It’s quite simple to boil it down to that. 

We trade the Mahomes pick to the Cardinals or something and we probably have a ring. We definitely have an SB appearance.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I will never understand the fire McDermott people.

You won't? You just watch coaching win a super bowl, when the teams elite QB was lifeless for 3 Qtrs. You just saw the difference in real time.

With 3 minutes left in the 3rd, KC punted the ball for the 6th time in 9 drives, they'd only scored 6 points and Mahomes had thrown an awful INT. If Allen did that, do you think they'd be down 7, or 50?

55 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He is the one who traded the pick to KC that they used to take Mahomes because he "hadn't had time to study the QB class" even though his owner wanted Mahomes

I never knew that! What a ***** idiot! 

That was his mulligan for being his normal- unprepared self at critical times.

13 seconds?

NO MORE ***** MULLIGANS! 

A rube snatching defeat from the SB jaws of victory!

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I will never understand the fire McDermott people.

It's ok..as you have to try something different when what you have is not working (and you expect a different result).  What is not ok is not having a plan to replace McDermott.  

22 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Diggs realized this last year and I believe Josh knows it too but will never say it. I hope he can hold on another year and stay the rock we need until a change is finally done. He deserves better

Josh does know it! Of course,he does- like ALLof us! 

However, as you saw this week,Allen is not merely the face of the Bills.

He is now- like Mahomes, THE FACE OF THE NFL! He is everywhere,on every show.

So many Bills fans here, have never even thought about the absolute fact- Jack, that if that incompetent ‘13 second’… ‘12 men’ buffoon McClapper is not replaced asap… #17 is walking in FA.

He has now the money of Midas, so he burns ONLY to win a Lombardi. That will never be done under this hapless clown of a HC.

Boot his sorry arse immediately or regress into another decade or two in the wilderness.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That’s what happens when you trade the GOAT of his generation to a team that knocks you out of the the playoffs almost every year. It’s quite simple to boil it down to that. 

We trade the Mahomes pick to the Cardinals or something and we probably have a ring. We definitely have an SB appearance.

I mean if you really think about it, it's the Bears' fault for taking Trubisky instead of Mahomes at #2.

What a bunch of jack-wagons.

Just now, Yobogoya! said:

I mean if you really think about it, it's the Bears' fault for taking Trubisky instead of Mahomes at #2.

What a bunch of jack-wagons.

That’s true too. Unfortunately, we can only control what we do, and we gave a team with a HoF coach, loaded with weapons, the GOAT of the generation. 

It the curse of the Bambino - Bills edition.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Watkins90 said:

Sean McDermott

He is the one who traded the pick to KC that they used to take Mahomes because he "hadn't had time to study the QB class" even though his owner wanted Mahomes. 

I literally felt like he should have been fired last night for making us all endure this. If Mahomes comes to Buffalo in 2017, he never turns into the QB he did. 

not to mention, there is no “dynasty” without 13 seconds and this years last offensive drive meltdown

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Not even close.  You take the swing FOR the QB.  And did it affect the Niners long-term?  Last night says what’s up.

Bills got Josh the next year so that can't be the worst trade ever.  Because the 49ers lucked into Purdy doesn't negate the fact that the Lance trade was terrible:  3 1sts and a 3rd to make that one 1st round pick for an absolute (predictable) bust. That's an awful decision, no matter what followed.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Not close. 

lol it "actually" has??

So Mahomes with this staff and roster wins multiple SBs....where Josh has not?  How about you swap  Joe Brady/Dorsey/Daboll  for Reid.

These takes are nuts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Sean McDermott

So why would we draft him? Maybe McDermott could sense your reservations back on Draft Night in 2017 and traded down.

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills got Josh the next year so that can't be the worst trade ever.  Because the 49ers lucked into Purdy doesn't negate the fact that the Lance trade was terrible:  3 1sts and a 3rd to make that one 1st round pick for an absolute (predictable) bust. That's an awful decision, no matter what followed.

lol it "actually" has??

So Mahomes with this staff and roster wins multiple SBs....where Josh has not?  How about you swap  Joe Brady/Dorsey/Daboll  for Reid.

These takes are nuts.

It’s not about having Mahomes on this roster lol, it’s about giving him to the Chiefs.

You all love to talk about hypothetical roster swaps. I’m talking about giving a guy away who has sent us packing 3/4 years in the postseason. 

And yes, it’s a fact that Mahomes on the Chiefs has directly impacted our ability to win a Super Bowl. I can post the games box scores if you’d like.

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You want Terry to fire his head coach because of a decision seven years ago that the owner ultimately signed off on?

Yes it was probably the worst trade in NFL history but it’s too late to fire someone over it.

I was looking over that draft recently. The Jets took Jamal Adams at 6 overall when their Qbs were Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Christain Hackenburg

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It’s not about having Mahomes on this roster lol, it’s about giving him to the Chiefs.

You all love to talk about hypothetical roster swaps. I’m talking about giving a guy away who has sent us packing 3/4 years in the postseason. 

And yes, it’s a fact that Mahomes on the Chiefs has directly impacted our ability to win a Super Bowl. I can post the games box scores if you’d like.

Unless you are convinced that the Bills were taking Mahomes at 27 (and that he would still be there), then the Bills didn't "give" the Chiefs Mahomes.  

They traded the pick and ended up with Tre White, (ultimately) Edmunds, Dawkins, Zay Jones and Neal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Buffalo was just incredibly unfortunate that Rapp and Benard got hurt when they did.  They play the defense gets a few more stops and probably win.  Buffalo is 4th in Superbowl odds for a reason.  Mcdermott is a part of that.  Watching teams that on Buffalos best day would beat is a tough pill to swallow.  Though that same thought is why I am optimistic for next season. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Unless you are convinced that the Bills were taking Mahomes at 27 (and that he would still be there), then the Bills didn't "give" the Chiefs Mahomes.  

They traded the pick and ended up with Tre White, (ultimately) Edmunds, Dawkins, Zay Jones and Neal.

The Bills traded pick #10 to the Chiefs who selected Mahomes. If they didn’t do that, there’s no guarantee that Mahomes is a Chief today. 

It’s great that we got Tre, Dawkins, Zay Jones (lol), Edmunds (lol) and Neal (lol). When does the parade start? 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Bills traded pick #10 to the Chiefs who selected Mahomes. If they didn’t do that, there’s no guarantee that Mahomes is a Chief today. 

It’s great that we got Tre, Dawkins, Zay Jones (lol), Edmunds (lol) and Neal (lol). When does the parade start? 

Trade Allen for Mahomes does what exactly? Qb is not the reason Buffalo hasn't won a Superbowl in the last 4 years.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

I don’t know how anyone can watch that game last night and come away thinking Mahomes is why they won.

Both TD’s were wide open throws. I actually thought Mahomes looked fairly pedestrian.

Its too bad the 49er defensive player couldn’t hold on to the INT Mahomes threw to him that may have sealed the game in regulation.

Or if Bosa doesnt get faked out twice and loses contain on the QB. 

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Trade Allen for Mahomes does what exactly? Qb is not the reason Buffalo hasn't won a Superbowl in the last 4 years.  

QB’s who have beaten Allen in the playoffs in the last 4 seasons:

Mahomes 

Mahomes 

Burrow
Mahomes

QB’a who have won the Superbowl in the last 4 seasons:

Brady 

Stafford

Mahomes

Mahomes

Yeah, I’m thinking Patrick Mahomes might kinda be a reason we haven’t won a Superbowl yet.

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Very good post but the last sentence is debatable. It might however ring true, in that McDermott would have drafted cornerbacks for Mahomes instead of receivers.

Of course McDermott will always emphasize defense over offense.  It's what's in his blood. The problem is none of the defensive players his GM has drafted since 2018 have been elite or dominant.  It wasn't until last year when Sean panicked and realized he better start drafting offense around Josh.  Too little, too late dude.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think Mahomes is this dominant in Buffalo.  

I think he's Josh Allen in Buffalo right now, but maybe we win a Super Bowl because he's a bit more consistent in the regular season and we wouldn't have to deal with the Mahomes/Reid pairing.. but what if Reid got Allen?  Because I think Allen would be just as dominant in KC.

I type all of that to say, that I think we have the QB.  I think Mahomes is Allen in Buffalo, and we already have Allen. 

After last night I just feel hopeless because whether it's coaching, clutch-gene, luck, supporting cast around the QB etc., they are just better than us every year when it matters.  

With McDermott coming back and KC in better cap position than us, what changes?  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Mahomes 

Mahomes 

Burrow
Mahomes

Brady 

Stafford

Mahomes

Mahomes

Yeah, I’m thinking Patrick Mahomes might kinda be a reason we haven’t won a Superbowl yet.

No one's fault but our own.  How cruel and ironic will it be that the Bills handed the Chiefs Mahomes on a silver platter.  

• Like (+1) 1

This revisionist history is getting ridiculous there is no guarantee with Brian Daboll , Rick Dennison, or Ken Dorsey running the show that Patrick would get where he is…my goodness Josh has played with some rough coordinators.

Thing is the very next year cause of Nick Chubb Josh isn’t a Denver Bronco right now and the Bills don’t have the “right Josh” and McDermott and Beane have already been fired for drafting him. 

So step back and realize no one knew about Patrick in that draft. Just like the Denver Broncos didn’t realize what they passed on when they passed on Josh Allen.

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don't think Mahomes is this dominant in Buffalo.  

I think he's Josh Allen in Buffalo right now, but maybe we win a Super Bowl because he's a bit more consistent in the regular season and we wouldn't have to deal with the Mahomes/Reid pairing.. but what if Reid got Allen?  Because I think Allen would be just as dominant in KC.

I type all of that to say, that I think we have the QB.  I think Mahomes is Allen in Buffalo, and we already have Allen. 

After last night I just feel hopeless because whether it's coaching, clutch-gene, luck, supporting cast around the QB etc., they are just better than us every year when it matters.  

With McDermott coming back and KC in better cap position than us, what changes?  

Alot will depend on how well Beane does in the draft. If some of his picks can play a significant role for the 2024 season. Like Will Anderson Jr did for the Texans or Puka Nacua with the Rams. Even in our division how JD got Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall in the same draft. I doubt the Bills will be major players in FA with their cap situation, so they better have a really good draft.

3 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Sean McDermott

The real fault for the Mahomes trade is that the Pegulas didn't fire Whaley in January of 2017 and immediately replace him.  What that meant is that McDermott was really in no position to draft a QB and tie the hands of the next GM, saddling him with a QB he didn't draft.  If the Bills had hired Beane or someone else in January, they would have had enough time to give the new management time to scout the QB class of 2017 instead of waiting for the class of 2018.  Instead, McDermott had to deal with being the de facto GM & when KC called, McDermott liked the idea of loading up on draft picks for what at the time was looked at as a loaded QB class.  As it is, we created the monster in KC, but on the other hand we also got the best player in the 2018 draft.  Still all things considered, it would have been better not giving KC the chance to draft Mahomes.  However, if the Bills don't make the trade, chances are pretty good that another team would have, since Houston was able to trade for Watson at pick 12.  The only way to have stopped KC from getting Mahomes would have been for the Bills to draft Mahomes themselves, something the GM situation precluded.  

Also anyone who thinks Mahomes wouldn't be as good with the Bills just needs to look at how well Josh was developed under Daboll.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Mahomes 

Mahomes 

Burrow
Mahomes

Brady 

Stafford

Mahomes

Mahomes

Team sport.  The marginal improvement at Qb does not make up for the defense and special teams blunders.  These games are not Allen Mahomes 1 on 1.

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Team sport.  The marginal improvement at Qb does not make up for the defense and special teams blunders.  These games are not Allen Mahomes 1 on 1.

We would beat KC every year (honestly they probably wouldn’t even meet us in the postseason) if they didn’t have Mahomes at QB. Despite it being a team sport, we gave them the GOAT at the most important position. 

Edited by FireChans

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.