Another reason to fire McDermott

Watkins90

4 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

would he have been a good fit here where the offense might not fit his strengths ?

One would think when drafting  the QB the Coach would build a Team around that Quarterback with Mahomes talent rather than place him in the existing offense.

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You want Terry to fire his head coach because of a decision seven years ago that the owner ultimately signed off on?

Yes it was probably the worst trade in NFL history but it’s too late to fire someone over it.

Herschel Walker is still the worst trade in NFL history, and it's not close.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

This whole Chiefs dynasty falls on one man and one man only, in hindsight. 

Sean McDermott

He is the one who traded the pick to KC that they used to take Mahomes because he "hadn't had time to study the QB class" even though his owner wanted Mahomes. 

I literally felt like he should have been fired last night for making us all endure this. If Mahomes comes to Buffalo in 2017, he never turns into the QB he did. 

It's a hard kick to my ball sack everytime Mahommes wins the Super Bowl. I just cant anymore with the rotten luck our teams have. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

The Bills traded pick #10 to the Chiefs who selected Mahomes. If they didn’t do that, there’s no guarantee that Mahomes is a Chief today. 

It’s great that we got Tre, Dawkins, Zay Jones (lol), Edmunds (lol) and Neal (lol). When does the parade start? 

No guarantee the Bills would have won any SBs with Mahomes on their own roster or some other than KC.  Plus, the Bills can beat Mahomes/Chiefs.  Just not in the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Sean McDermott

He is the one who traded the pick to KC that they used to take Mahomes because he "hadn't had time to study the QB class" even though his owner wanted Mahomes. 

I literally felt like he should have been fired last night for making us all endure this. If Mahomes comes to Buffalo in 2017, he never turns into the QB he did. 

LAMP!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

I blame the Bears for picking Trubinsky over Mahomes

I often wonder what would have happened if we had selected TJ Watt over Tre White, and Cooper Cupp instead of Zay Flowers, and DK Metcalf instead of Cody Ford....

You should see my drought years "Hindsight is 20/20" redraft. The Bills would have won 12 out of 17 Super Bowls! 

I'm also able to turn $50 into $5 Trillion in just about 50 stock trades, ya know, retroactively. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Of all the BS takes on this forum, the “Mahomes wouldn’t be a winner in Buffalo” is probably the worst.  An unprovable, baseless take.  Just so sick of seeing it.

Allen was a bigger project than Mahomes coming out and he seems to have turned out just fine. I think Mahomes may have panned out as well in Buffalo.

15 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Chiefs found a willing partner to trade to 10.  McDermott’s ties with Reid might have factored in.  Wouldn’t you help a guy who probably put in a good recommendation for you to get HC job?  Many other NFL coaches might have passed.  In hindsight, I do agree that you don’t make that trade to a powerhouse in your own conference … but did most coaches know what we now know about Mahomey??

Exactly.  In general, teams find franchise QBs at the very top of the draft, ie, the first five picks.  It's why teams like the Jests, the Bears, and the Niners have traded boatloads of draft picks since 2017 to acquire QB prospects in the top 3 picks, all of whom failed.   The farther down in the first round a QB is picked, the slimmer chances he has of finding great success in the NFL.  Only about half of all first round QBs make successful NFL starters (and not even necessarily a franchise QB).  The 2017 and 2018 drafts were unusual because both produced multiple great QBs from outside the top five:  Mahomes (2017 #10), Allen (2018 #7), Jackson (2018 #32), and Watson (2017 #12)*.   Of the QBs who were drafted before these QBs, only Mayfield (2018 #1) continues to be an NFL starter and has a successful NFL career.   Drafting a QB in the first round, even in the top five, remains a really big gamble.

* I included Deshaun Watson for his outstanding play in Houston before his off-field problems and injuries.   He seemed to be starting to get back into form with the Browns before his injury.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No guarantee the Bills would have won any SBs with Mahomes on their own roster or some other than KC.  Plus, the Bills can beat Mahomes/Chiefs.  Just not in the playoffs. 

Okay. It’s a guarantee that Patrick Mahomes is the main reason we haven’t played in one yet. Good thing we got Siran Neal and Zay Jones though.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Andy Reid should have thanked McDermott on the podium after each of their Super Bowl victories.

McDermott did an outstanding job helping the Chiefs create their dynasty while at the same time being a thorn in our side.

As I mentioned in another post, if Brandon Bean did not pull out all of the stops to get Josh and if Josh had not developed the way he has, McDermott would have been fired a long time ago and would be remembered as the guy who traded the pick so that the Chiefs could draft Mahomes.

McDermott should be VERY thankful that Josh is on the team.

I was thinking the same thing last night while the Chiefs were at the podium. That would've been legendary! 😂

• Like (+1) 1

Sean McDermott

Do the texans take him instead of watson?

110Kansas City ChiefsPatrick Mahomes †QBTexas TechBig 12

from Buffalo [R1 - 4]

112Houston TexansDeshaun Watson †QBClemsonACC

from Philadelphia via Cleveland [R1 - 5]

Either way he is likely in the AFC.

9 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Do the texans take him instead of watson?

110Kansas City ChiefsPatrick Mahomes †QBTexas TechBig 12

from Buffalo [R1 - 4]

112Houston TexansDeshaun Watson †QBClemsonACC

from Philadelphia via Cleveland [R1 - 5]

Either way he is likely in the AFC.

He may be, but he wouldn’t be partnered with Reid, Hill, Kelce etc etc. which everyone says is the the reason he was so successful.

47 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Still passed for over 300 yards, ran for a bunch, and was unflappable. I am not a Mahomes supporter but the guy wins big games and is calm under pressure.

If his defense isn't elite, do we talk about how he threw a pick and missed Rashee Rice for the game winning TD?

Because it seems we always need to talk about this with Allen due to the defense vomiting all over themselves in these games, thus everything he does is magnified in a loss. 

Sean McDermott

I've said this for some time and people are still going to brush this off for whatever reason.

But the bottom line is that even if you look past the obvious in that McDivisional is never going to win a game against Mahomes and other elite QB's in the NFL when it matters in the postseason, the fact he made a true franchise and NFL altering trade with the guy who fired him for being bad at his job is the loudest message you'll ever hear in terms of why he needs to go.

Yes we still lucked out and got Josh Allen as part of that deal. But what else did the Bills land in that trade? An overrated, injury prone DB that is going to be out of the league in a few years, certainly not part of this team anymore at best.

And if Bills fans aren't sick to their stomach now just wait another 5+ years (and more Mahomes superbowl rings) to truly realize what was wasted keeping this guy around for so long.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, beer can shower said:

Yes, teams did know about Pat Mahomes. And not just KC.  And  if you were a coach and Andy Reid and/or the  GM called you to trade up,wouldn't you wonder who they wanted.  Then when they got a call from Houston.
      McDermott I believe was hired in January, plenty of time before the draft to review their needs and review scouting reports.
     And as to you saying with those coaches running the show, if  you  did your work why would you even hire those people to bring along a talent like Pat Mahomes.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/05/patrick-mahomes-andy-reid-brett-veach-scouting-nfl-draft

Because that’s who McDermott hired as OC and the type of systems he wanted implemented that’s kinda what the head coach does. You can live by revisionist history simple fact is Josh Allen the next year was there for the Denver Broncos they passed on him for Nick Chubb. This happens to every team. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Still passed for over 300 yards, ran for a bunch, and was unflappable. I am not a Mahomes supporter but the guy wins big games and is calm under pressure.

I think he maybe had two plays that were "good" plays. He didnt do anything that any of the the top QBs in this league couldnt do that whole game.

The guy won and did his thing....but good lord....he was just a qb yesterday. I dont wanna hear about his greatness after that game. 

Guy throws a lolipop bomb where if that safety didnt lose his memory and forgot that he was an NFL safety that gets caught instead of intercepted.

17 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Because that’s who McDermott hired as OC and the type of systems he wanted implemented that’s kinda what the head coach does. You can live by revisionist history simple fact is Josh Allen the next year was there for the Denver Broncos they passed on him for Nick Chubb. This happens to every team. 

And Josh Allen was selling Subway at the Super Bowl and Pat Mahomes was MVP.
That's not "revisonist history" that's a fact.

Like it or not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.