What are your feelings on James Cook RB1

19 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

How you guys feeling on James Cook as a number 1 back? With Brady taking over full time James Cook should see an increase workload. Fumbles and drops have been an issue with him though. I still think he’s too small to be an every down back. Personally I would like to see use him like Detroit uses Gibbs and find a quality #2. I like Ty Johnson but could we find better?

Im not sold yet, but he showed more potential to be an RB1 this year than I think most of us expected.  I like what I see for the most part, but CJ Spiller fooled me once in thinking he could be an RB1 too though, so I need to see more.  But I have concerns about his tendency to drop sure TD passes, like right on the money easy catches for easy walk in TD's.  I think he had 5 on the season, that is 5 TD's off the board.  Then you have the fumbles too.  

On the other hand, he was really much more effective even running up the middle than I expected and he really started showing good vision, making people miss, breaking tackles, finding the gaps, etc.  

So, I am in a wait and see more stance.  I would like to see the Bills bring back a vet (maybe Lenny comes back with a full camp) or draft a RB on day 3 who has some potential to share carries.  We need someone who won't fumble when we need to grind out yards in close games, bad weather, etc. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I think he was overused as a feature back … how many touches did he have?  Not sure of the number, but it was a lot for someone who wasn’t an every down back in his college career. His YPC and yards after contact dropped significantly in the latter stages of the season. A durable, tough yardage back is a significant need next season 

Edited by AlCowlingsTaxiService
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I as certain as can be that it rounds to zero.  Bills would have won 11 games with Singletary.  Hell, the Texans won 11 games with him. 

He wasn't the lead back for most of the year. I don't think we win the Cowboys game running Singletary the number of times we ran Cook. He just plain and simple isn't as good.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Cook is a good running back, but the problem I have is a 190 lb running back should never have 291 touches at the end of the regular season which is what Cook had which explains why Cooks struggled in 4 of the last 5 games which includes the last 3 regular season games and the Chiefs playoff game. Cook simply ran out of gas.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, phypon said:

Some posters on here are ridiculous.  Seriously, some of you guys are out of control.  You become trolls because someone disagrees with you.  Grow up.  

I do find it amusing that some people think their opinions about something are reality … and if you have a differing opinion you are wrong …

There used to be a saying… “you are entitled to your opinion”…. Don’t hear it so much these days…

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Even if he is himself “fine” with getting hit, his body folds easier than a worn out cardboard box when he’s slightly touched. Great acceleration and lateral quickness and pretty good vision but not the guy you want running up the middle fighting between tackles…at least not right now. Like I said previously, he is our Edwards and we need our corum, if you’ve watched Michigan‘s running game

This was true in the 2022 season.  He was much better in that regard last year.

23 hours ago, Beast said:

James Cook is the Bills #1 RB and will be, barring injury, for the next 2 seasons regardless of drops or fumbles this past season.

James Cook was not the Bills red zone threat on the ground. The Bills chose to go with Josh Allen when they got near the goal line.

And to say about the guy that was 6 overall in the league, that what he did between the 20’s matters “very little” is down right dumb.

Do you really want your All World QB risking injury running the ball on short yardage downs or have a Derrick Henry or Pacheco type RB getting those yards for your team? 

He was, what, top 6 in the entire NFL in yards from scrimmage, regardless of position? He was an elite producer.

He just happened to drop a TD pass almost every game down the stretch. He needs to hit the jugs machine.

16 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Do you really want your All World QB risking injury running the ball on short yardage downs or have a Derrick Henry or Pacheco type RB getting those yards for your team? 

It's a risk/reward scenario. The fact is Josh Allen is like a 90-100% sure thing. He has the extremely rare ability to make a team have to account for the ability to throw the ball literally anywhere on the field and the rushing ability to score anytime he takes it on the ground. We'd be dumb to not take high percentage first down runs when they're there.

As for the short yardage, you get a short yardage back to compliment Cook. Practically every team has a committee of RB's. The idea of an every down back that handles all situations is pretty much extinct. Unfortunately, last season the guy we got for that role went down for the Season early on. Hopefully we can find a guy that will stay healthy for that role next season.

But even then, with Josh's ability and the percentage of success he has on short yardage - it's never going to completely go away. The Eagles have the same thing with Jalen Hurts. If a QB is good at it, you take the risk for the reward.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea but how many elite backs are there now? Very, very few. Because in the days of OJ and even Thurm the best athletes played running back. Now they are playing Quarterback and Wide Receiver. 

CMC is literally the only back in the NFL this year who I think has impacted the eventual W-L of his team. And Cook isn't CMC, obviously. But the list of other guys I'd take isn't massive.

I'd take the RBs from Seattle, Jets, Detroit, Saints, Raiders, Chiefs, Giants over James Cook to name a few

On 2/7/2024 at 8:31 PM, Beast said:

Cook was 3rd in yards from scrimmage for all running backs. What else needs to be said?

Well, he could begin to hang onto TD passes (those that would have been). I believe he did this three times... 

For someone who’s strength was supposed to be catching the ball out of the backfield his hands have been very dissapointing. He’s far exceeded my expectations as ball carrier though and is overall a very good back, but I think he has all-pro potential if he cleans up the drops. Outside of Josh and Dion he was easily the best part about this offense.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/7/2024 at 11:53 PM, Freak-O said:

I would be totally sold on him if it wasn’t for the drops. The drops were even worse since we have so few receiving threats and he was drafted to be one of them. 

11.1% Drop%.  Right next to Knox. 

Oddly, Davis was the best only worse than Shakir.  Davis was at 3.7%.  The only year that Davis had inordinately high drops was last season, 2022.  

FWIW  

4 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'd take the RBs from Seattle, Jets, Detroit, Saints, Raiders, Chiefs, Giants over James Cook to name a few

So Kenneth Walker, yep. Agree. Beast. 

Breece Hall, meh. I wouldn't swap them, but nor would I if I were a Jets fan. They are 6 and two 3s. 

Montgomery - no. His success was scheme. Gibbs, sure. He is very talented. 

Kamara, I have loved, he is one of the few guys I'd have paid a second contract - but as a rusher he has declined big style. Less than 4 ypc over the last 3 years and off field issues. I'd pass at this point.

Josh Jacobs - mainly a volume guy. Again his ypc is not great.

Pacheco - good back but I wouldn't swap.

Barkley - yea when he is healthy and his line gives him at least some blocking he is a stud.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

You’re blaming that on Cook? That’s funny. 

Here’s the truth….the Bills are going to play Allen that way regardless of who they have at running back. That is part of Allen’s game and no running back is going to bring that dimension to the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Beast said:

You’re blaming that on Cook? That’s funny. 

Here’s the truth….the Bills are going to play Allen that way regardless of who they have at running back. That is part of Allen’s game and no running back is going to bring that dimension to the Bills.

100%  

• Like (+1) 1

I quickly learned to appreciate Cooks (when he got on the field) after having concerns about his skillset when they drafted him (like many, my concerns were about having an RB1 with his measurables and style of running as we really appeared to needed a legit three down RB1 ((which he isn’t … yet🤞)).  Also, so I didn’t have to hold my breath every time Josh was off to the races (which I still love subjectively but fear objectively any time the entire future of our “franchise” tucks it in and runs as Hero Josh who runs like a four inch taller version of Mike Alstott).

I sort of thought we drafted Cook to some degree in part because we lost out on signing JD McKissic with his strongest ability (catching)—not judging them as equals in overall talent, Cook is obviously light years ahead of McKissic.  Fortunately, Cook has clearly proven to us all that he’s a special “electric back” who will continue to develop into a better player (catching and eventually I hope blocking) that will make more and more contributions so they can expand his repertoire.  No matter what anyone might say about him I’d have to think that 99% of fans will concede he’s an outstanding asset we just need to use properly as his play evolves so he will continue to be a more frequent game changer.

But, I concur with others who believe Cooks alone is not going to provide us with a stand-alone running game. We need a “thunder” to his “lightning”.  I really grew to appreciate Murray’s play but when he came in for Cook it was a blatant tip of the hand that he was going to use his power to get us those 2-3 yards needed for a 1st or as a blocking back when we passed on third and short.  I think he did great.  Harris went down earlier than I was able to see enough of him to judge him but I really grew to appreciate Ty Johnson (which was one of the nice surprises of the year).  He took advantage of his opportunities and delivered nice strong runs contrary to what my aforementioned lack of real football knowledge had me expecting of him before the season started.

On 2/7/2024 at 8:31 PM, Beast said:

Cook was 3rd in yards from scrimmage for all running backs. What else needs to be said?

This is why you can’t take stats at face value. You don’t have the whole picture.  Schemes, average yards per touch etc, people in Pittsburg still think Najee Harris is great bc he’s had 1000 yard seasons… and yet he’s doing it 3.8 yards at a time. 

I like Cook in a Kamara Role, when the saints still had a true bell cow back.  You need a gu who can get tough yards on his own, that’s not Cook.  I’m going to get somebody telling me how great his yards after contact are next and again, doesn’t tell the whole story.   The guy is good, but just like Gibbs, you need a Montgomery in some situations.  If you bring in Henry to add to the fold… now you have a super threat. That would be good ole fashion fun.

• Thank you (+1) 1

So he's run better, and especially inside, than many of us expected. But he's dropped a few more than expected.

Given his college history (just going by scouting reports as I don't watch college ball) he was better than average as a pass-catching back. 

In totality, it's correctable as he has a history of catching well, and nothing to worry about. As Bills fans we have some causes for concern but back isn't one of them.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So Kenneth Walker, yep. Agree. Beast. 

Breece Hall, meh. I wouldn't swap them, but nor would I if I were a Jets fan. They are 6 and two 3s. 

Montgomery - no. His success was scheme. Gibbs, sure. He is very talented. 

Kamara, I have loved, he is one of the few guys I'd have paid a second contract - but as a rusher he has declined big style. Less than 4 ypc over the last 3 years and off field issues. I'd pass at this point.

Josh Jacobs - mainly a volume guy. Again his ypc is not great.

Pacheco - good back but I wouldn't swap.

Barkley - yea when he is healthy and his line gives him at least some blocking he is a stud.

If you wouldn’t trade him for a Breece Hall, your entire view is clouded by your fandom. 

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

On 2/7/2024 at 8:39 PM, NewEra said:

He’s on his way to being a top 5 back if he can clean the drops and fumbles

HE will always need a thumper short yardage back on the short yardage situations.  Of course, there is 17 for that, but I don't like that  choice.

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

If you wouldn’t trade him for a Breece Hall, your entire view is clouded by your fandom. 

Breece Hall had a bad year. All he does well is run very fast in a straight line. That's a nice skillset to have a few times a season, but to justify his high pick he will need to be much better at navigating tight spaces and working through muck at the LoS. It can't be 2 yards or 50 yards and nothing in between.

• Agree 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

Breece Hall had a bad year. All he does well is run very fast in a straight line. That's a nice skillset to have a few times a season, but to justify his high pick he will need to be much better at navigating tight spaces and working through muck at the LoS. It can't be 2 yards or 50 yards and nothing in between.

I thought he was overrated as a draft prospect and I still do. Like you say he has a skillset but he is miles away from being a complete back. Said then Walker > Hall. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

To the OP

I think the Kid will improve each year. needs a complimentary bruiser. But yea. I really like his progress.

Hoping Brady/Allen can make better use of him on check downs and let him fly.

Work in progress, of course

Go James !

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I thought he was overrated as a draft prospect and I still do. Like you say he has a skillset but he is miles away from being a complete back. Said then Walker > Hall. 

Help define his weak points. Beyond the drops and or fumbles, please.

To me .. he got a very slow start and is still playing catch up. And Bills were not aligning  him to his strengths .

Speed.

Dare I say ? Get him in space so he can burst. His vision was much better this year.
Complete back. Bills want complimentary and change up in the backfield. Using three kinda makes that point for me i hope ?

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Help define his weak points. Beyond the drops and or fumbles, please.

To me .. he got a very slow start and is still playing catch up. And Bills were not aligning  him to his strengths .

Speed.

Dare I say ? Get him in space so he can burst. His vision was much better this year.
Complete back. Bills want complimentary and change up in the backfield. Using three kinda makes that point for me i hope ?

My comment was about Hall not Cook.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

How good was Cook with garbage blocking?  Hall is an absolute stud behind a trash line and zero fear for the defense to being beat by the pass.  Cook has a good line and Josh Freaking Allen to take attention off him, gee whiz I wonder who has it easier.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/8/2024 at 10:24 AM, BillMafia716ix said:

How you guys feeling on James Cook as a number 1 back? With Brady taking over full time James Cook should see an increase workload. Fumbles and drops have been an issue with him though. I still think he’s too small to be an every down back. Personally I would like to see use him like Detroit uses Gibbs and find a quality #2. I like Ty Johnson but could we find better?

He's absolutely a #1 back. No question.

They're likely to continue cycling through #2s. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ty Johnson here again.

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.