State of Mississippi demands repayment from Favre

stuvian

It’s really disappointing (to me) what a horrible human being we’re finding out that Favre is. 

Through his entire run with Green Bay, Favre was my favorite player in the NFL. 

From that point, he’s really put himself on display as an absolute piece of sh!t. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 18

Do anyone have a good article explaining what happened exactly here, that’s fair for each sides point of view? This one seems a bit biased and gives no idea as to Favres stance (I realize there have probably been articles ad nauseam).

Question I have, was this willfully accepting money knowing it was not for this by Favre? Is there plausible deniability?  It may not matter to the law but would change my view on how I look at Favre.

ESPN was one of the entities that were accused by Favre so they have a reason to paint this in a certain light. 

Edited by HamSandwhich
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

39 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It’s really disappointing (to me) what a horrible human being we’re finding out that Favre is. 

From that point, he’s really put himself on display as an absolute piece of sh!t. 

It sucks doesn't it?  I liked him a ton too and it's kind of a kick in the nuts he turned out to be this way.  But he is human, and was a pro athlete, which means we kind of build an image of what we think they are. 

Sometimes we are right ( see Payton Manning, Barry Sanders etal.) And sometimes we are wrong  like with Favre. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Do anyone have a good article explaining what happened exactly here, that’s fair for each sides point of view? This one seems a bit biased and gives no idea as to Favres stance (I realize there have probably been articles ad nauseam).

Question I have, was this willfully accepting money knowing it was not for this by Favre? Is there plausible deniability?  It may not matter to the law but would change my view on how I look at Favre.

ESPN was one of the entities that were accused by Favre so they have a reason to paint this in a certain light. 

When this news first broke, there were articles detailing that there were text exchanges between Favre and others that made it clear that he knew exactly what was going on. 

How he has never been charged is a mystery.  Well … kind of. Someone’s clearly on the take. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HamSandwhich said:

To sum it up, he embezzled funds that were earmarked for people in need. No nice way to spin it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 9

22 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

To sum it up, he embezzled funds that were earmarked for people in need. No nice way to spin it.

If only if he had taken welfare money to build a new stadium!!

Anyway, it's the height of hypocrisy for the State of Mississippi (the poorest state and one of the 3 least educated) to be going after "welfare money" when the same government spends 14 million a year for just 3 of their public college football coaches.

• Like (+1) 10

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Anyway, it's the height of hypocrisy for the State of Mississippi (the poorest state and one of the 3 least educated) to be going after "welfare money" when the same government spends 14 million a year for just 3 of their public college football coaches.

That's the way they roll down there, and why I'm not having ANYTHING to do with that part of the South, period.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, HamSandwhich said:

Maybe this will tell you what you need to see/hear.

https://mississippitoday.org/2022/09/13/phil-bryant-brett-favre-welfare/
welfare-9.13.22-text_brett-nancy-8.3.17-

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I get that Favre was not being a great guy here, but why are the politicians not in jail? THEY are the one’s in charge of safeguarding the public funds, and they were clearly trying to get away with something.  Favre can ask, it’s their job to say no. EVERYBODY stinks in this deal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 1

Favre was awesome to watch playing football, until Allen came along he was my favourite QB to watch play and now he’s 2nd.

I’m not hiring him to watch over my family’s billion dollar estate, so news of him being greasy with tax payers money has zero impact on me.

Government officials misappropriating funds… shocker.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 3

From a super bowl Winning QB to d-ck pics to stealing tax payers money, talk about a fall from grace, what a moron,

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

I get that Favre was not being a great guy here, but why are the politicians not in jail? THEY are the one’s in charge of safeguarding the public funds, and they were clearly trying to get away with something.  Favre can ask, it’s their job to say no. EVERYBODY stinks in this deal. 

agreed

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Maybe this will tell you what you need to see/hear.

https://mississippitoday.org/2022/09/13/phil-bryant-brett-favre-welfare/
welfare-9.13.22-text_brett-nancy-8.3.17-

Look at this, a person who actually responded with an article I can look at, rather than just "rolling eyes" emoji. Simply just asking those who have been following this if they can help a person who is not well versed in this subject to provide an article that is fair to both sides. I'll take a look and see if this holds mustard, but I appreciate your offering this article. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

with state government, it's not how much your asking to steal...it's what your stealing it for.  Personal use is a no no.  Use for your personal business to exponentially grow your asset value and therefore personal wealth----how much would you like??!

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It sucks doesn't it?  I liked him a ton too and it's kind of a kick in the nuts he turned out to be this way.  But he is human, and was a pro athlete, which means we kind of build an image of what we think they are. 

Sometimes we are right ( see Payton Manning, Barry Sanders etal.) And sometimes we are wrong  like with Favre. 

i have some news for you lol

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

I mean this in the nicest way, @HamSandwhich:   Google.

Seriously.  All sorts of info is out there.

For example:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2022/9/24/23368759/mississippi-welfare-fraud-scandal-brett-favre-reform

Asking people to give you a "good article" combined with the above "ESPN was one of the entities that were accused by Favre so they have a reason to paint this in a certain light" suggests that you are primed to accept only certain sources, so instead of asking to be fed so that you can reject what you're given as biased or as not good, why not just do your own research?

12 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Look at this, a person who actually responded with an article I can look at, rather than just "rolling eyes" emoji. Simply just asking those who have been following this if they can help a person who is not well versed in this subject to provide an article that is fair to both sides. I'll take a look and see if this holds mustard, but I appreciate your offering this article. 

Again - this is a strong hint that you are only looking for articles that read in a certain way or from certain sources you accept, so why not do your own research to find something you perceive as "fair" or "holding mustard" instead of demanding to be fed and chiding those who don't feed you?

Full disclosure I'm not rolling my eyes at you, but I rather understand why you're drawing that response.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

For example:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2022/9/24/23368759/mississippi-welfare-fraud-scandal-brett-favre-reform

Asking people to give you a "good article" combined with the above "ESPN was one of the entities that were accused by Favre so they have a reason to paint this in a certain light" suggests that you are primed to accept only certain sources, so instead of asking to be fed so that you can reject what you're given as biased or as not good, why not just do your own research?

Again - this is a strong hint that you are only looking for articles that read in a certain way or from certain sources you accept, so why not do your own research to find something you perceive as "fair" or "holding mustard" instead of demanding to be fed and chiding those who don't feed you?

I was specifically asking because there is TOO MUCH out there and a lot of it has it's own opinions. So I was asking if anyone thought there was an article that was fair that I could review. Does that make sense?

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

For example:

I'm primed not to just believe articles from places that were impacted by this scenario. Is that not fair? I would do that for any subject.

Edited by HamSandwhich
  • Eyeroll 1

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

Just found this information

https://mississippitoday.org/2023/10/11/welfare-scandal-tate-reeves-sued-funding/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Everybody steals something  in Mississippi 

Mississippi burning , 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah we can not like it when the government pays for things like that but they do it through the system and there's a way to hold them accountable if anyone would actually do it. Stealing money that's actually been set aside for welfare seems a bit different.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

They should be, but Farve is just as much a part of this, it's like holding the inside man more accountable than the guy on the outside.

58 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

I'm primed not to just believe articles from places that were impacted by this scenario. Is that not fair? I would do that for any subject.

Fair or not, certain language and phrases get co-opted and the "I'm just asking questions" phrase has been hijacked. So if you use that language, it's an indication of something whether you intended it or not. It is unfortunate for the rare person who didn't know, but that is life and life is not fair.

• Like (+1) 1

He made 140 mil in the nfl and that’s closer to 200 mil in today’s money. Really don’t get why he didn’t just give the money back he should have plenty left if he’s handled remotely well. Plus he had a ton of endorsements probably worth tens of millions 

17 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont like what Farve has done post football, but he paid the 1.1 million back.  This article is about the Government going after interest on the original 1.1 million which I have no problem with him not paying.   I'd go into why it doesnt get me in a tizzy, but this is in the main forum and not PPP.  

Is it your position that if one steals $X million and then makes $Y in interest off the stolen $X, the thief should be entitled to keep $Y after they rightfully pay back $X? 

I disagree quite a bit.

• Agree 4

31 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

They should be, but Farve is just as much a part of this, it's like holding the inside man more accountable than the guy on the outside.

I want everyone held accountable for their actions, but it’s hard to achieve that if the criminal is in charge of the investigation. 

I used to review real estate appraisal work from all over the country, but my main client was In Mississippi and Alabama. Not only do they not have MLS in many areas, but it is (or at least was) a non-disclosure state. There is zero information available in public records regarding when a property sold and for how much.  They live in the Dark Ages. Still, there are rules that you must follow in order to have an acceptable report. I was trying to get one guy to fix some things and he sounded like he might break into tears when he said “Come on! I’m in Mississippi for heaven’s sake! Don’t I get a break?”  It is indeed a backwards place, and at least some the people there seem to know it. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

He's basically swamp trash...who can throw a football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Is it your position that if one steals $X million and then makes $Y in interest off the stolen $X, the thief should be entitled to keep $Y after they rightfully pay back $X? 

I disagree quite a bit.

It is not my position.  But nowhere in the article did it say Favre made the interest off of the money he took.  The article actually said nothing about where the figure came from.  Only that in their opinion he owed interest on the original amount. 

My guess, is the interest they are speaking about was based on a percentage they came up with or the Value of the money from when he originally took it to the point he paid it back.   Maybe it was even based on his net worth from one point in time to another.  We don't know that because it was never explained.

Personally I feel like paying the amount he took is fine.  Especially when the United States legal system has set a precedence when it comes to corporations, PPP loans for the rich etc where they feel like multiple million dollar debt can be forgiven.  Where do you think that money comes from? 

We can all throw our hands up about Favre because we can put a face to it.  But believe me, large corporations and government officials rob us way more than some washed up football player ever will.  It's a farce.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I was born and raised in Rochester and lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast for 25 years. I moved back to Rochester about 4 years ago so I have a pretty good perspective on the two places. Most people who trash Mississippi, including on here, have never even been there. They get their information from tv and movies and assume its just a bunch of white dudes in pickups chasing a black guy trying to beat him. It's not like that at all, the Gulf Coast of Mississippi is nicer than anywhere in western NY. My fathers family is from Bath, NY and I can assure you that driving around the southern tier you will see twice as many confederate flags as in MS. Any black person who has lived in both places will tell you that the racism in the north is way worse than in the south.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

When this news first broke, there were articles detailing that there were text exchanges between Favre and others that made it clear that he knew exactly what was going on. 

How he has never been charged is a mystery.  Well … kind of. Someone’s clearly on the take. 

And it was absolutely crazy stuff. It might as well have been an SNL sketch about criminals trying to get caught. There is no down the middle reporting of this. Their texts were something like: 

Favre: "Hey Nancy, want to launder money illegally today?"

Nancy: "Oh yeah. I am really itching to commit crimes. I was just talking to the Governor of Mississippi, Phil Bryant, about how much we want to enact an actionable plan to steal money"
Favre: "OK that is awesome. Here is my plan for the crimes"
Nancy: "Wow, Phil Bryant, the Governor of Mississippi, and I love your crime plans. We will enact these crimes exactly as you have laid out"
Favre: "Did you do the crime"
Nancy: "Yes Brett Favre, former QB of the Green Bay Packers, Governor Phil Bryant and I did these crimes this way. Now myself, Governor of Mississippi Phil Bryant, and NFL Hall of Fame legendary QB Brett Favre all have all this money from doing these crimes. I love crimes and I am glad you are so willing to do crimes with us!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It is not my position.  But nowhere in the article did it say Favre made the interest off of the money he took.  The article actually said nothing about where the figure came from.  Only that in their opinion he owed interest on the original amount. 

My guess, is the interest they are speaking about was based on a percentage they came up with or the Value of the money from when he originally took it to the point he paid it back.   Maybe it was even based on his net worth from one point in time to another.  We don't know that because it was never explained.

Personally I feel like paying the amount he took is fine.

He took $1.1 million, and then paid back $1.1 million years later (in two separate sums). In essence, as the article points out, this is a $1.1 million loan sans interest. He should have to pay more, just as he would have if he took out a $1.1 million loan. My guess on the interest is that it is a percentage based on what one would pay if they took out a loan of $1.1 million and failed to pay until Favre paid back the first part of the full sum he owed.

The rest of your post is a bit political for my taste in this forum. We all know the govt. and large corporations rob us more than the average person. That has zero to do with this specific case. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here is the actual claim - https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24408674-shad-white-counterclaim-against-brett-favre - in relation to the principal and interest owed here - pages 28 and 29 calculate this

December 27, 2017: $500,000 funneled to Favre

June 2018: $600,000 funneled to Favre

$1,100,000 total sans interest

By May 5th, 2020, Favre owed $1,100,000 in principal and $437,000 in accrued statutory interest ($1,537,000 total)

May 6, 202: Favre admits he is personally responsible and will pay back the state the full sum of plus interest he owes "in the coming months"

May 7, 2020: Favre pays $500,000. This leaves a balance of $740,000 in unpaid principal which continues to bear interest plus $132,000 in already accrued interest

October 25, 2021 (over a year later - lots of accruing interest): Favre pays $600,000 which reduced the principal owed by Favre to $437,000 with no further interest at that time

February 5, 2023: Favre still owes $437,000. Since October 25th 2021, another $292,790 in statutory interest has accrued from the $437,000 he still owes.

$437,000 + $292,790 = the money in the claim (which will continue to grow with interest) 

57 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

We don't know that because it was never explained.

Explained in the linked filing

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

A really good friend of mine is from small town Miss (knows Favre) and this is not news to anyone that knows the family. He was basically a small town trailor park guy that just got famous but never let that side of him leave. He is widely regarded as a POS by many in Miss. (and has been forever).

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

There are text messages. There was a denial, but not plausible. He's truly a piece of garbage. 

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This isn't accurate, he didn't embezzle it, that would imply that he kept it. But he didn't knowingly redirected to the University of Southern Mississippi to help build a volleyball stadium rather than a being used for welfare. Which is also absolutely gross...

All that said, it seems like nobody actually read this article... In this, it states after the issue in 2017 and it coming to light, Favre repaid all $1.1M, $500K 2020 and $600K in 2021... But now the accusation is he owes $729,790 in interest.  Which is laughable honeslty that he'd owe 66% interest.  It even called it a loan... Which it wasn't.  It was a clear misappropriation of government funds, which legislators should also be held accountable for. 

On top of that, it's illegal to earn interest on Federal money as it is earmarked for expenditure or return only.  If a state gets $10M in Federal funds they can't put it in the stock market to appreciate, so demanding interest from Favre on a "loan" of Federal money is actually illegal.

Edited by MR8

14 minutes ago, MR8 said:

This isn't accurate, he didn't embezzle it, that would imply that he kept it. But he didn't knowingly redirected to the University of Southern Mississippi to help build a volleyball stadium rather than a being used for welfare. Which is also absolutely gross...

All that said, it seems like nobody actually read this article... In this, it states after the issue in 2017 and it coming to light, Favre repaid all $1.1M, $500K 2020 and $600K in 2021... But now the accusation is he owes $729,790 in interest.  Which is laughable honeslty that he'd owe 66% interest.  It even called it a loan... Which it wasn't.  It was a clear misappropriation of government funds, which legislators should also be held accountable for. 

On top of that, it's illegal to earn interest on Federal money as it is earmarked for expenditure or return only.  If a state gets $10M in Federal funds they can't put it in the stock market to appreciate, so demanding interest from Favre on a "loan" of Federal money is actually illegal.

He did keep it … until he spent it.  Like everyone else who embezzles does. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, MR8 said:

demanding interest from Favre on a "loan" of Federal money is actually illegal.

The countersuit cites the Mississippi code RE the interest on page 28. It's not illegal. 

Favre also agrees to pay back the $1.1 mil plus interest the day before his first payment of $500,000.

Edited by WEATHER DOT COM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.