Will Derrick Henry be a Bill in 2024?

FireChans

43 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Do you still want Hollywood Brown? Because we aren't going to be able to afford that and hand $5m per to Henry. And if we could, then best believe all 3 of the first picks would have to go to the starting position holes at DE, DT, and Safety.

There's no scenario where we pay for Henry, Brown, and use 2 of the top 3 Draft Picks on WR. None.

And why would Henry want to go to a team that already has a Pro Bowl RB on it? He'd be lucky to even get 50% of the carries here.

As to the last bit… he’s not going to be penciled in to put any offense on his back as an 80% of carries guy

26 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

As to the last bit… he’s not going to be penciled in to put any offense on his back as an 80% of carries guy

Why not? He was the NFL's 2nd leading rusher last season. He hasn't fallen off a cliff.

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree he’ll have more offers than Elliott and likely will make more money….but we’re talking about a 30 year old RB in the NFL.  It’s conceivable he doesn’t get a solid offer from a contender.  

Like I’ve said- I don’t think it’s likely…..but it is certainly not out of the realm of possibility. 

It really isn't conceivable. Like I said, Baltimore was ready to trade Draft picks for him last season. They had Gus Edwards and Justice Hill as their RB's and were picking Dalvin Cook off the trash heap.

Edwards and Dobbins are FA's now too. If you think Baltimore won't be back around when it won't cost them Draft Picks, I've got a bridge to sell you.

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

they are all looking for loot. He’s still a high mileage back that is also on the wrong side of 30

the 10th highest paid back in 23 was at 6m for a bit of harsh reality with running backs. 

im not advocating but think he could potentially be much cheaper than many here are thinking 

I think everyone's looking at just turned 30 and high milage and neglecting to notice he finished the year 2nd in Rushing Yards and another Pro Bowl season. He still looked like Derrick Henry last season. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

10 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

We need other key postion players that are of more importance than RB & Henry,  we don't need him.

1 million for Ty or 5x that for Henry. Really a no brainer when you already have a Pro Bowl RB in house and we're in the mess we're in cap wise and roster wise.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

1 million for Ty or 5x that for Henry. Really a no brainer when you already have a Pro Bowl RB in house and we're in the mess we're in cap wise and roster wise.

It’s not a no brainer when you don’t give your pro bowl RB the ball inside the 5 yard line.  

the only thing that makes it difficult is the money.  And it’s a huge obstacle…. But the fit would be great.  It’s not smart to continue to have Josh Allen as our only goal line back.  

Ty Johnson had zero rushing TDs. Pro bowler Cook had 2.  Murray had 4 (and wasn’t good in the red zone).  Our QB had 15.  It would be wise to lessen his load and hits taken inside the 5. The fit is there.  The money likely won’t be. 

you can admit that it would be a nice upgrade in adding a different dimension to our offense that teams would have to plan against 

48 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

they are all looking for loot. He’s still a high mileage back that is also on the wrong side of 30

the 10th highest paid back in 23 was at 6m for a bit of harsh reality with running backs. 

im not advocating but think he could potentially be much cheaper than many here are thinking 

Valid points indeed…would the Bills want to spend even say 3-5 million on him? Our cap needs serious attention right now. The Von contract has us in a tough spot.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It’s not a no brainer when you don’t give your pro bowl RB the ball inside the 5 yard line.  

the only thing that makes it difficult is the money.  And it’s a huge obstacle…. But the fit would be great.  It’s not smart to continue to have Josh Allen as our only goal line back.  

Ty Johnson had zero rushing TDs. Pro bowler Cook had 2.  Murray had 4 (and wasn’t good in the red zone).  Our QB had 15.  It would be wise to lessen his load and hits taken inside the 5. The fit is there.  The money likely won’t be. 

you can admit that it would be a nice upgrade in adding a different dimension to our offense that teams would have to plan against 

Would it be nice to have 2023's 2nd & 4th Leading Rusher on the same team? Sure. It'd be nice to have Josh Allen at Defensive End too.

We can play the game that a Superstar who hasn't fallen off (like Elliott did before he got 3m) isn't going to have a market just because he just turned 30. And that no one else who's a contender will be interested. And that we'll even put as much as 4m into a 2nd RB, with all the holes we have and the situation we're in cap wise. But none of that is based in reality.

We'll probably be re-signing Johnson. And we'll probably Draft a young thumper on Day 3. And that will cost us less than a third of what Henry alone will cost.

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

I’m slowly getting more and more convinced this is the kind of old good player that Beane will go after. Especially with Brady’s emphasis on the run and McD being a defensive guy. A pound the rock for 3 YPC guy just feels right.

So what do we think?

No.

Would love to have him as he had a pretty good year considering how poor the Titans o-line was.  We won't be able to afford him though.  I'm guessing he gets six to eight million on a one year deal.

3 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

on a 1 year deal, I'd love it, at his age who knows his market, Cook/Henry/Hines would be incredible 

I don’t wanna lose Ty Johnson

50 minutes ago, Governor said:

He would be absolutely worthless on our team.

I agree with this he’s going to end up costing too much, and we will not be able to give him the carries that he needs in order to be effective

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

No thanks. He's done.

I mean, he was still 2nd in the entire league in Rushing and had 1381 yards from scrimmage last season. It wasn't his 2020 or 2022 outings, but he's far from toast.

Either way, he's out of the price range for the role he'd have on our team given our cap situation and the amount of starting positions and important depth players we have to replace.

14 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I mean, he was still 2nd in the entire league in Rushing and had 1381 yards from scrimmage last season. It wasn't his 2020 or 2022 outings, but he's far from toast.

Either way, he's out of the price range for the role he'd have on our team given our cap situation and the amount of starting positions and important depth players we have to replace.

I don't know. Despite high aggregate stats, he was pretty inefficient.

He had 326 combined touches - good for 4.2 yards per touch including 4.2 ypc (prior to the last game of the year he was at 3.9). He had 7 games where he failed to break 50 yards, including 3 where he didn't get 30. Dude had a game where he got 9 yards on 16 carries.  He was a complete non-factor for large portions of the season and propped up his pedestrian averages on the back of a couple big games. I watched him routinely get stuffed on critical short downs, which is the whole reason you go and get a guy like that. Towards the end of the year, they put him on the bench in those spots and went pass.

In his defense, Cook actually had many of the same poor showings, but he's also a first year starter, not a 28 year old former MVP level back with an injury history. Cook did manage to average 5.5 yards per touch compared to Henry's 3.5, but also had 7 games under 50, 3 under 30 and had a game where he went 5 carries for -5 yards.

He's nowhere near the threat he was 4 years ago and has trailed his career average in ypc for 3 straight years.

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

I’m slowly getting more and more convinced this is the kind of old good player that Beane will go after. Especially with Brady’s emphasis on the run and McD being a defensive guy. A pound the rock for 3 YPC guy just feels right.

So what do we think?

yes , a RB averaging 3 YPC is what every team needs

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t wanna lose Ty Johnson

I agree with this he’s going to end up costing too much, and we will not be able to give him the carries that he needs in order to be effective

ya, I loved his game under Brady, but if we keep Hines, which looks like they will, we'll need a bruiser in that rotation 

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

So what do we think?

He's not old enough! 😂

41 minutes ago, nucci said:

yes , a RB averaging 3 YPC is what every team needs

ya he lost snaps to Spears late in the year but still had monster games, which is why he could be affordable,  used in a limited role with Cook being the main guy, that'd be a tough change of style for defenses to adjust to

20 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

ya he lost snaps to Spears late in the year but still had monster games, which is why he could be affordable,  used in a limited role with Cook being the main guy, that'd be a tough change of style for defenses to adjust to

We're talking about the guy like he's toast and begging for a job. I'll say it again, regardless of everything that's said, he was still #2 in the league in Rushing last season. He's not completely fallen off like an Ezekiel Elliott or Dalvin Cook. Teams were willing to give up Draft Picks just to rent him for the Playoffs.

And there's a difference between an affordable RB and affordable for Derrick Henry.

We're in the 1-2 million range for the role we're looking for given who we already have there, our cap, and all of the bodies (including starters) we need to replace elsewhere.

Instead of the 10.5m he's been on, he'll be more in the 5.5-6.5 range. A really good deal would be like 4.5m. Simply not going to do that for a change of pace back, especially in the shape we're in. And someone will offer him a role more than just change of pace.

10 hours ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

I like your thinking but Beane is cheaper then me

And that’s sayin something…, 

😂

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm not down on Henry. He's still good. My point was the poster saying 3 ypc is what we need

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We're talking about the guy like he's toast and begging for a job. I'll say it again, regardless of everything that's said, he was still #2 in the league in Rushing last season. He's not completely fallen off like an Ezekiel Elliott or Dalvin Cook. Teams were willing to give up Draft Picks just to rent him for the Playoffs.

And there's a difference between an affordable RB and affordable for Derrick Henry.

We're in the 1-2 million range for the role we're looking for given who we already have there, our cap, and all of the bodies (including starters) we need to replace elsewhere.

Instead of the 10.5m he's been on, he'll be more in the 5.5-6.5 range. A really good deal would be like 4.5m. Simply not going to do that for a change of pace back, especially in the shape we're in. And someone will offer him a role more than just change of pace.

to be fair, dalvin was still good with the Vikings. 

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

So what do we think?

Need a top WR more than a old RB.

The real issue here is two fold 

a) do you think Henry can be even a memory of his former self? And can he do that in a limited role? 650 very efficient yards for instance

b) ignore Ty Johnson, and instead of rb2 look at him as role player that stresses the defense. His pay won’t be WILDLY off Hines or harty for instance. Do you want to invest that utility/gadget money into a bruiser instead of a speedster? It would be a different approach to making a safety or nickel corner hate his assignments on the day potentially, if you think he still can play. 

personally I like speed here more than power but wouldn’t be mad to bring in a guy that stamps a bit of an identity on the unit in that role player position