Johnson clears protocol, Bernard not expected to play

Process

1 hour ago, Mango said:

That’s remarkable. From a pure fandom perspective I’m glad he is a go. 

From a human perspective, this is this guys 5th concussion of his career and he can play in 6 days? Nobody in the NFL gives a shirt about player health or safety, and the independent neuro’s must be on  the take.

Couldn't agree more. It's cringy hearing the guys on WGR praying the Johnson can quickly get over his FIFTH concussion to go play football. How many career traumatic brain injuries does a player need to have before we stop rooting for him to quickly clear the protocol?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Said it to my brother a while back, but I fear for Taron's future because he's given his life for this sport.  The way he plays, all out 1000%, you end up paying for it down the road.  I appreciate what he does for this team, but how many of us will be there for him after his playing days are done.  Obviously this is me projecting, and I hope I end up dead wrong, and he lives a relatively healthy life after he's done playing.

Edited by bouds
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WNYFAN1 said:

Couldn't agree more. It's cringy hearing the guys on WGR praying the Johnson can quickly get over his FIFTH concussion to go play football. How many career traumatic brain injuries does a player need to have before we stop rooting for him to quickly clear the protocol?

I’ll keep saying you are crazy if you think it’s only 5 or that several guys playing last week didn’t get their “bells rung”

so either we make football unrecognizable or we set baseline evaluations and hope both for the game and for the player that guys return to baseline that indicates health quickly

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Guys in host of other sports have missed 365 + days for a single concussion. The league has zero players with roster sizes 2x-3x. 

Take your kid to Dent neuro or the Cleveland clinic the day after their 5th concussion and see if they clear them to play sports 6 days later.

They won’t do it.  

something to consider. You don't have to have an actual diagnosed concussion to be placed into "the protocol".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Agree with CincyBIllsFan. The Bills under McBeane have demonstrated repeatedly their patience and wisdom in bringing players back slowly from injury.

I believe there are teams who would be dressing Terrell Bernard today but not the Bills.

Exactly correct. They don't want to see Tyler Matakevich playing LB in this game. Whether as a starter or a backup, Klein was gonna get the callup.

I’m curious if anyone has seen Tyler play linebacker at anytime? I believe he had a very good career in college and apparently is a good special teams player. Thoughts on him at linebacker ?  I have not seen enough of a sample to judge.

• Like (+1) 1

"What we now know is concussions happen all the time," Favre said. "You get tackled and your head hits the turf, you see the flashes of light or ringing in your ears, but you're able to play. Based on that, thousands, had to be, because every time my head hit the turf, there was ringing or stars going, flash bulbs, but I was still able to play."

now imagine that extrapolated for any in the box hitter on either side, instead of a quarterback…

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

something to consider. You don't have to have an actual diagnosed concussion to be placed into "the protocol".

Been saying this forever now. Someone gets a hit and headache they go into protocol. They have stinger they go into protocol. Doesn’t mean they had a true concussion 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Tough decision if you can only have one. Taron's the better choice for coverage on Rice underneath but I think Bernard would be better for Kelce. 

We have put Siran Neal on Kelce in the past & he’s been fairly effective.  

17 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

I’m curious if anyone has seen Tyler play linebacker at anytime? I believe he had a very good career in college and apparently is a good special teams player. Thoughts on him at linebacker ?  I have not seen enough of a sample to judge.

In preseason whenever he got in he looked like a tackling machine and I wondered why he never got any real consideration on defense. But I have no idea about his coverage abilities. I thought Spector looked like a tackling machine too, but he struggled to stay with the first team in camp when they were rotating LBs.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, WNYFAN1 said:

25 minutes ago, bouds said:

Said it to my brother a while back, but I fear for Taron's future because he's given his life for this sport.  The way he plays, all out 1000%, you end up paying for it down the road.  I appreciate what he does for this team, but how many of us will be there for him after his playing days are done.  Obviously this is me projecting, and I hope I end up dead wrong, and he lives a relatively healthy life after he's done playing.

I hope Taron's post playing career health is good. 

That said, it's one thing to get a concussion playing rec soccer or middle school football...of course stop playing, maybe forever at some point. 
Whereas Johnson is an adult who is being compensated more than $6M per year for his avocation. 

Generally speaking, the market rewards risk taking with higher returns. That's what's going on here. 

Aside from concussions, NFL players are taking all sorts of physical punishment that will cause them significant problems later in life. It's their choice. Some guys walk away (ex: Andrew Luck) because of it. 

Regardless, I hope they are making good decisions for each player's long-term health.  

39 minutes ago, Punch said:

He suggests the Bills are at a "supreme disadvantage" and have the worst health of all remaining playoff teams:

https://sicscore.com/nfl/updates/kansas-city-chiefs-vs-buffalo-bills-which-team-has-the-injury-edge

Good link.  

Having said that, this entire discussion isn't complete without a comp of positions, starter-to-starter.  

The Chiefs' receivers aren't exactly striking fear into the hearts of opposing defenses this season.  Mahomes has about 2/3 of the passing yards that he's had the past several seasons, about 75% of the passing 1st-Downs, and a significantly lower Rating, YPA, YPC, INT%, and Success% than any other season.  

It's not the Chiefs' offense that should be a problem.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

I like the idea of Williams starting over Klein. He is bigger, faster, and stronger. His athleticism and thumping ability are very good things when guarding Kelce and the many people the Chiefs run across the middle on crossing routes. Hit them early and often, Mr. Williams. Hit'en again.

That's where we will miss Rapp. He could lay some wood on Kelce multiple times and make him think twice on every pass coming his way. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, WNYFAN1 said:

The protocol is what it is. If it’s cleared it’s cleared, whether it’s yesterday or next Wednesday. Of course fans want that. Does Johnson want to play ? He probably does. He’s an adult and a professional athlete. 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Dodson

Williams

Klein

Matakevich

That is likely to be the extent of our LB depth today. It's certainly not ideal. The Bills pretty much always have 5 LBs active on gameday, but they are left with no choice if Bernard can't play.

I would guess they'll go Dodson at MLB and Williams at WLB. If Williams is completely lost they'll pull him for Klein, or in a real emergency they'll bring Poyer down into that spot and start Cam Lewis at safety.

If I had  to guess I’d say Klein is in the middle so that Dodson stays as WLB and they don’t change two positions.  I’d imagine they had Klein there all week at practice given the uncertainty and the stability he would bring relative to Williams slotting in there.  But who knows. That is a fluid situation for sure. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

He did. I think sometimes we get caught up in the number of concussions without remembering that all concussions are not equal in severity, and everyone doesn’t react the same way to a concussion. It’s entirely possible that Taron’s symptoms were very mild and this was done out of an abundance of caution. 

Anyway, it’s great that he is feeling good and will be out there. 

The fact that he had already progressed to the stage of a limited practice participant by Wednesday indicates that this was a minor concussion if one at all.  Likely a very conservative diagnosis and I am not surprised he is back.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

That’s quite the ***** theory/accusation. 

Cool.

Go to your neuro and tell them you got a concussion today then ask if it’s cool if you get tackled by Ray Lewis at full speed next week. 

100 out of 100 times they will say no.

Concussion protocol only exists to save the NFL’s ash not because its sound medical advice. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

As to our offense, it will be interesting.  

Despite being a negligible part of our cap space, for as much of a whipping boy Davis is for the forum, he's largely been responsible for our playoff success in the passing game.  

Over our past four playoff games he has 18 catches for 389 yards and 6 TDs.  He has a 70% Catch%.  Say what we want about him during the regular season, he's been money in the playoffs and the sole reason why were even in the 13-Seconds game.  

All of our other WRs combined have 43 catches for 564 yards and 2 TDs.  The TDs were by Beasley and Sanders.  Beasley vs. Miami last season, Sanders vs. NE in '21.  

Either way, that's an average of 11 catches for 141 yards and one TD every other game.  

Big news on Taron. Although undersized, he is our best answer for Kelce. Also going to need a big game from the front four tonight. If Ed and DQ-J can control the A+B gaps it will make life easier for the combo of Dodson/Williams/Klein to diagnose and make plays on Pacheco in the run game.

3 hours ago, Mango said:

That’s remarkable. From a pure fandom perspective I’m glad he is a go. 

From a human perspective, this is this guys 5th concussion of his career and he can play in 6 days? Nobody in the NFL gives a shirt about player health or safety, and the independent neuro’s must be on  the take.

You've got a point.  I think I'll never watch football again.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Guys in host of other sports have missed 365 + days for a single concussion. The league has zero players with roster sizes 2x-3x. 

Take your kid to Dent neuro or the Cleveland clinic the day after their 5th concussion and see if they clear them to play sports 6 days later.

They won’t do it.  

Well the NFL given all the concerns on head injuries have cleared him. So that factors more than what Dent would say about a middle school volleyball player. Other people are other people in this individual case they have cleared him. He’s also an adult and has decided he wants to play. I’m far more concerned about the safety of the Bills playing on an inferior field in London than this. TJ knows his body and also may factor this as career limiting. But he is cleared and wants to play. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Maybe I'm worrying too much but who's gonna cover kelce. We will win. Go Bills!

Poyer and Taron presumably. If Bernard doesn't play Po Will probably cheat forward a bit, but it will put pressure on a hobbled Douglas and Dane Jackson...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Dodson

Williams

Klein

Matakevich

That is likely to be the extent of our LB depth today. It's certainly not ideal. The Bills pretty much always have 5 LBs active on gameday, but they are left with no choice if Bernard can't play.

I would guess they'll go Dodson at MLB and Williams at WLB. If Williams is completely lost they'll pull him for Klein, or in a real emergency they'll bring Poyer down into that spot and start Cam Lewis at safety.

The other option is Bernard suits up but only plays in key spots.

Would be very anti-Mcd'like, but some teams do it.

• Like (+1) 2

I am really concerned with the depth at the LB position because of injuries.  Never liked the idea of keeping Matakevich on this roster because of special teams,  scary thought if he needs to play on defence today.  I think the Bills should dress Bernard and only play if other guys go down

Very important that our offence plays well and scores because defence is hurting bad with injuries and we cannot expect them to shutdown the Chiefs

1 hour ago, WNYFAN1 said:

The league has a process. Do any of us know the severity of his head injury from last game? I don’t .. protocol is followed and if he passes he passes. The Bills imho are typically cautious about these things. It’s a violent sport and as fans we want the best players to play. Nobody on GR or anywhere else wants him to play if he’s clearly not ready. 

Have wondered if there is going to be a CBA amendment of sorts to expand rosters a bit more.

The NFL keeps expanding venues for the $ and I think it is getting harder for teams to keep enough healthy depth.

Just interested in seeing if some changes are expected 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

The league has a process. Do any of us know the severity of his head injury from last game? I don’t .. protocol is followed and if he passes he passes. The Bills imho are typically cautious about these things. It’s a violent sport and as fans we want the best players to play. Nobody on GR or anywhere else wants him to play if he’s clearly not ready. 

Maybe they break out the Mark Kelso bubble Helmut

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.