Bills sign Matt Haack

HappyDays

Veteran option that knows the team and most importantly hold for Bass.

Smart decision. 

For those complaining he’s not a great punter, well if we are punting lots we aren’t winning the game anyways

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 21
  • Agree 16
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sam Martin will likely not be available this weekend. Haack is probably the best option to get us through a game.

Good, and smart move!  Now we can move on.  I don't expect the team to need a punter on Sunday night.  Score every possession!! :)

Edited by BillsFanJ
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DJB said:

Smart decision. 

For those complaining he’s not a great punter, well if we are punting lots we aren’t winning the game anyways

Yeah this is all about a guy who's familiar with Bass, Reid, and has game experience.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

Another solid move by Beane. 

Punt god wasn’t happening. What happened to him was unfair, unjust, and awful. But the last thing we need is that media circus. 

Grabbing the guy who knows the team and can hold for bass, and is at least above average, was a good move. 

He honestly would have been my guess if a guy as familiar with our kicking unit as Haack wasn't available.

Just checked his stats - he actually had some of his worst #'s as a Bill, in terms of punt distance & punts inside the 20.  Most of his other years were better, so hopefully he can come through on Sunday.

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Man…Martin was kicking so well at the end of the season and even in the Steelers game.

We have to win this one for Martin so he can hopefully kick again in the AFCCG. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Media circus aside, a guy who has never punted in an NFL game, hasn't punted for almost 2 years and had issues with holding for kicks probably isn't the best choice to bring in cold for a divisional round playoff game against a rival in winter in orchard park.

Yeah that wasn't a problem he had to learn to hold for kicks and by all accounts he did, lets not invent an issue that didn't happen. The key difference here is he doesn't have game experience.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Has to be the holding ability that swayed them to bring him back because he was one of the worst punters in the league.

I think they just want a baseline. A punter/holder cannot be the reason you lose a game. Haack will almost certainly not be as good as Martin has been in recent weeks but we know what we're getting.

• Agree 2

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

wasn't he known as an elite holder when he was here? 

We actually do need that in the cold and weather right now. Punt God hadn't really held for kicks if I recall correctly. That could be the difference in the playoffs

Definitely signed for holding. 

15 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

My assumption that this “signing” was to the practice squad in replacement of Fournette. 

He’ll be one of the elevations this week, likely along with Klein. 

Klein should be signed to the 53.  I don't know who we release / IR though 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Definitely signed for holding. 

It makes sense too...

Yes, you want to be great everywhere, but having an elite punter of the ball vs an elite holder for kicks is a no brainer. 

A playoff game is almost certainly not going to come down to hitting a long punt. But it often comes down to making a FG. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

wasn't he known as an elite holder when he was here? 

We actually do need that in the cold and weather right now. Punt God hadn't really held for kicks if I recall correctly. That could be the difference in the playoffs

I think that's why we wanted him to begin with yes 

21 minutes ago, DJB said:

Smart decision. 

Agree. Closest guy to knowing our system and Bass trusts him.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Klein should be signed to the 53.  I don't know who we release / IR though 

If they don’t have the room, what’s the point? We can simply activate him from PS as needed. He gets paid in full. We keep a roster spot open. As you said, unless you have an available roster spot, it’s win win. 

that said, the idea of the KC game coming down to a FG attempt fills me with dread.

Bass could hit a 55 yard FG right down the middle with 15 yards to spare, or shank a 25 yard FG so far to the side that it doesn't even hit the net. It's literally a crapshoot.

That short FG he missed badly last week didn't really matter, but it will eventually in a closer game

• Like (+1) 1

People around here have short memories.   This guy was absolutely abysmal in 2021.  He's the reason we drafted Ariaza in the first place.  Let's hope Shankopotamus doesn't show up on Sunday night.  Leonard Pinth-Garnell, when asked about Haack, said "Frightfully bad, really bites the big one...."

leonard.png

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.