Bills sign Matt Haack

HappyDays

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Question: how does IR work during the playoffs?  I mean there's only 3 games max left so if we IR someone, does that mean he's gone?

According to Sal C, if IR'ed now, the player is done for the year.

He has also stated that the limit on Practice Squad elevations are unlimited during the playoffs.

Confirmed here: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-playoff-rule-change-teams-now-have-unlimited-practice-squad-promotions-per-report/

Edited by JaBu

7 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Expected.

Fine with this.

Practice squad?  Or actual roster.

Edit: practice squad.

As far as releasing Fournette, he may have asked to go....but Sal points out we did have to release a veteran from PS

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

As far as releasing Fournette, he may have asked to go....but Sal points out we did have to release a veteran from PS

Lenny is a nice piece if we could stash him, but we are fine without him.  Hopefully he doesn’t sign with anyone and if we do have a need can sign him.

8 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Lenny is a nice piece if we could stash him, but we are fine without him.  Hopefully he doesn’t sign with anyone and if we do have a need can sign him.

Agree.  With the injuries on defense and WR, and the RB room now healthy, the spots are needed elsewhere.  Should one of the RBs go down again, it would be great to bring Fournette back (if he was interested in coming back).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JaBu said:

According to Sal C, if IR'ed now, the player is done for the year.

He has also stated that the limit on Practice Squad elevations are unlimited during the playoffs.

Confirmed here: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-playoff-rule-change-teams-now-have-unlimited-practice-squad-promotions-per-report/

Just a little note that while the practice squad elevations are now unlimited PER PLAYER, they are not unlimited PER GAME.

Per game, still get 2.

See Sal tweet before Steelers game about "two elevations" for three spots (needs)

It’s honestly the best move they could make to have an option in case Martin can’t go. I know some were clamoring for the “Punt God” Ariza to come in but while I wouldn’t mind seeing him get a chance in training camp brining in a guy very cold off the street who hasn’t played NFL football since the 2022 preseason wouldn’t be smart. As mediocre as Haack was he’s not tragic and he has played this season most recently punting in December so he isn’t “coming in cold” and he’s also had experience taking snaps and holding kicks with the current long snapper and kicker. 

20 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

As mediocre as Haack was he’s not tragic and he has played this season most recently punting in December so he isn’t “coming in cold” and he’s also had experience taking snaps and holding kicks with the current long snapper and kicker. 

He is a disaster, he managed to lose at least one game and tried like hell to lose a couple others his last season with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

https://www.nfl.com/games/jets-at-browns-2023-reg-17?active-tab=watch

3rd Quarter (8:01) M.Haack punts 44 yards to NYJ 33, Center-C.Hughlett, out of bounds.

3rd Quarter (0:17) M.Haack punts 55 yards to NYJ 27, Center-C.Hughlett. X.Gipson ran ob at NYJ 47 for 20 yards (H.Bryant).

4th Quarter (7:23) M.Haack punts 56 yards to NYJ 13, Center-C.Hughlett. X.Gipson pushed ob at NYJ 23 for 10 yards (H.Bryant).

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would think Martin is the guy if cleared. 100%

I think this + haack is the practicing punter for special teams, for practice, etc. 

37 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I am good with this but I insist he be given the postition of field goal holder who can also punt in a pinch.

I also could see this as a gameday decision. Both active. Haack holds.

Further, in warm up and practices, having coaches punt. A coach on our staff must be sufficient at punting, Shirley. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

I think this + haack is the practicing punter for special teams, for practice, etc. 

I also could see this as a gameday decision. Both active. Haack holds.

Further, in warm up and practices, having coaches punt. A coach on our staff must be sufficient at punting, Shirley. 

I do t see two punters active

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.