Sorry to say... But Diggs is done.

ShipUPride

I posted this in another thread, but you guys know he was still near the top of the league in everything this year, despite having a poor year by his standards, right? He could easily have 2-3 more Top 5-7 years in him with the right gameplan

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I still believe he was injured and it’s going to come out

whether or not an injury effected him- every guy gets dinged up and I’d expect a vague “playing through some stuff” type of comment to back the fan base down even if it wasn’t materially impactful 

I just thought of something... 

2023 Cinci: Stefon Diggs is pacing up and down the sidelines, pissed, going off on the sideline on Josh and Josh just sitting there after his poor performance.

2024 KC: Stefon Diggs is out there not making big plays, no histrionics on the sideline while Josh is playing an exceptional game and NOT going off on Stef.

Stef didn't stay to be interviewed while Josh did.

Shouldn't the supposed WR1 of this team, still looked on that way by Beane himself, who doesn't want to be traded or leave, be a leader leading by example?!?!!

It pisses me off that Josh takes the heat and leads by example while Stef doesn't.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I posted this in another thread, but you guys know he was still near the top of the league in everything this year, despite having a poor year by his standards, right? He could easily have 2-3 more Top 5-7 years in him with the right gameplan

He fell off a cliff statistically. The final 10 games of the season he had 1 TD and 1 game over 75 yards. And the eye test was bad as well. Way more drops than usual, not getting separation, and not fighting back for the ball.

I hope you are right, but something was up and it wasn’t just the change in OC. I’m crossing my fingers for injury that he can recover from.

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

He fell off a cliff statistically. The final 10 games of the season he had 1 TD and 1 game over 75 yards. And the eye test was bad as well. Way more drops than usual, not getting separation, and not fighting back for the ball.

I hope you are right, but something was up and it wasn’t just the change in OC. I’m crossing my fingers for injury that he can recover from.

Maybe injury but more likely Brady game plan to move the ball around. Speed seems fine - he had JReid beat on the bomb he dropped. 

I still cannot believe that Stefon Diggs dropped this pass.  I know… he’s human and all players make mistakes.  That being said  your best player can’t make that mistake in that moment.  You can’t be a highly paid, #1 WR, team captain, throw the antics he did last season including berating your QB on the sideline and …drop that pass.   This isn’t a week 4 game against the Dolphins… this is the NFL Playoffs, against the SB champions, the team that ended the Bills season twice.  The team he famously cried while watching them celebrate.  I think it’s reasonable to expect your best player to make that play.  

Catching this pass hardly guaranteed a victory with 8:00 left but setting the Bills up at the 25 yard line would have been a huge momentum boost for the Bills.  It could have almost been like the Harty punt return TD from a few weeks ago.  

I also think this catch could have changed the narrative surrounding Diggs potentially on the decline and a history of bad performances against Kansas City.  It also would have erased the drop and fumble from earlier in the game.  Instead of adding this

play to his career highlights alongside the Minneapolis Miracle, it now lives in infamy as “the drop” that will likely follow his otherwise stellar career in Buffalo.  The narrative is no longer, why doesn’t Buffalo get the ball to Stef in big playoff games.  It now becomes why does Stef deliver in big playoff games.  

And the pass, it was perhaps one of the most beautiful balls we’ve seen travel nearly 70 yards on target.  There’s maybe one other QB that could make that throw, and he was on the visitors sideline.  

When you consider the difficulty of the throw, the ease of the catch, the moment, the opponent, the history, the game, the potential legacy lost, it is - in my opinion - the  biggest drop in Buffalo Bills history.   Recency bias?  Maybe.   But maybe not.  

Some other drops I’ve lived through and why I place them under this one heartbreak. 

Ronnie Harmon - Bills vs. Cleveland 1989 Playoffs

On paper this drop was bigger. It was a catch in the end zone for the GW TD with :13 remaining.  The difference is the player.  Harmon had a history of choking in big moments on college.   While he was a well-known player in the NFL, Harmon was never considered an elite superstar the way Diggs has been.   Also  I’ve read that in 1989 this was considered a “difficult” catch, despite it looking routine with 2024 eyes.  

Stevie Johnson - Bills vs. Pittsburgh 2010

This also was a GW TD drop that would have been a nice story in 2010 for the underdog Bills led by Fitz.  However the stakes weren’t very high.  This catch would be a fun moment but ultimately I don’t think it would have much impact on a 2 win team.  Plus the drop create the Bills Mafia moniker.  

Charles Clay - Bills vs. Miami 2018

With the Bills trailing 27-21, Josh makes an amazing throw on the run to throw a ball 40 yards across his body to Charles Clay who proceeds to drop the game winner.  While this wasn’t an easy catch, it was far from

impossible.  Much like Diggs, Clay was the biggest receiving target on the team and one of the highest paid players on offense.  Your best players need to step up at key moments and Clay failed.   But much like the Stevie drop, this game wouldn’t have much impact on a losing season.  

Theres a couple others I can think of but nothing as big or high profile as these ones.  Also my Bills memory only goes back to be about 1988 or so.  

Any other devastating drops?  And where would you rank them?  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 2

The drop itself compared to the others you referenced was the least egregious. The Harmon drop was bad. BUT I’d argue the Diggs drop was painful to another level. They pay him to make those plays and he dropped it. He had drops and fumbled the first catch…

Diggs was more responsible for us losing than Bass. And shame on the people that harassed Bass on social media! 

Edited by Breakout Squad
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

The drop itself compared to the others you referenced was the least egregious. The Harmon drop was bad. BUT I’d argue the Diggs drop was painful to another level. They pay him to make those plays and he dropped it. He had drops and fumbled the first catch…

Diggs was more responsible for us losing than Bass. And shame on the people that harassed Bass on social media! 

I’m not so sure about that.  The ball traveled 60+ yards and hit Diggs in the hands.  He didn’t have to extend like Harmon or come back to the football like Clay.  The only ball that easier might have been Stevie’s.

But the rest, I’d agree with 

• Eyeroll 1

I watched the Harmon drop and I can remember being furious when I saw it but I hit the roof after they failed the next play. I had to rewind my VCR to watch again later and still could not believe he dropped it. Because of the magnitude of that drop and when it was in the game, that has to be the worst drop when it comes to losing a game outright. Diggs was bad but nowhere near Harmon's drop as there was still time. But Diggs has to make that catch. The Bills lost Sunday because they didnt make the hard but doable catches,  0/4 on those passes and the Chiefs did.

The Stevie drop was almost comical and Stevie blamed God for it after! The Clay drop was par for the course for that useless lump.

21 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I still believe he was injured and it’s going to come out

Cool..

He showed up Allen last year when Josh played through the UCL injury

Allen once again played through a shoulder injury this year

Part of being elite is still being able to function at a high level through injury. 

1 hour ago, Breakout Squad said:

What? The Harmon drop cost the Bills the game. Diggs drop didn't, they got down to the same position as they would have been at if Diggs caught it and some would argue at the two minute warning, which might have been better in terms of being able to bleed the clock.

21 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Please define "near the top of the league" - top 10?  top 15?  67th? 48th? 72nd? 

Which I guess raises the question "what do you mean by everything"?

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Please define "near the top of the league" - top 10?  top 15?  67th? 48th? 72nd? 

Easy enough to simply look up. Google is your friend.

Diggs was 7th in the NFL in receptions with 107 and 13th in yards with 1183. Also tied for 8th with 8 TDs.

So if we take an average of those we end up at 9.333

Edited by Big Turk

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Easy enough to simply look up. Google is your friend.

Diggs was 7th in the NFL in receptions with 107 and 13th in yards with 1183. Also tied for 8th with 8 TDs.

Meaning no offense, but I'm asking Bull. 

Diggs was literally 48th, 67th, and 72nd in several categories some regard as important.
He was also tied for 6th in a category most would prefer to see lower.

5 hours ago, LifeLongBillsFan said:

Diggs isn’t done … he has what it takes

In other news - Von Miller is completely done 

Von graded out as highest defender in Chefs game.  I would put $ Von has a better 2024 season then Diggs

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I was convinced that Stefon Diggs was playing with an injury. I haven’t heard anything yet from the team though.

Very much waiting for the "Stefon Diggs has had off season surgery" post. 

The dude was getting mangled by DBs all season with no repercussions from referees. It was honestly kind of crazy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/16/2024 at 2:51 AM, Dan Darragh said:

Personally I think it's Josh who's done.  Did you see him slide like a pansy instead of taking a massive hit like a real man would?

These are the astute observations of a fan who loved the 20 year period of purgatory out of the playoffs and deserves to have a paper bag custom fitted for his head to wear at Bills games. The beauty of these forums is that even the most clueless are given a platform. My advice to you Dan is to practice saying these observations in front of a mirror with the bag over your head and forget posting.

Personally I think it's Josh who's done.  Did you see him slide like a pansy instead of taking a massive hit like a real man would?

These are the astute observations of a fan who loved the 20 year period of purgatory out of the playoffs and deserves to have a paper bag custom fitted for his head to wear at Bills games. The beauty of these forums is that even the most clueless are given a platform. My advice to you Dan is to practice saying these observations in front of a mirror with the bag over your head and forget posting.

These are the astute observations of a fan who loved the 20 year period of purgatory out of the playoffs and deserves to have a paper bag custom fitted for his head to wear at Bills games. The beauty of these forums is that everyone is given a platform. My advice to you Dan is to practice saying these observations in front of a mirror with the bag over your head and forget posting.

These are the astute observations of a fan who loved the 20 year period of purgatory out of the playoffs and deserves to have a paper bag custom fitted for his head to wear at Bills games. The beauty of these forums is that everyone is given a platform. My advice to you Dan is to practice saying these observations in front of a mirror with the bag over your head and forget posting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I was convinced that Stefon Diggs was playing with an injury. I haven’t heard anything yet from the team though.

You won't.  Among other reasons, the team has no business publicizing personal medical information outside the requirements laid down by the NFL during the season.

When these sort of things come out, it's usually a friend/teammate or "insider" who "spills the tea".  Like when Fitz was playing with broken ribs and Stevie Johnson couldn't stand the criticism Fitz was taking, and revealed the injury after the season.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Von graded out as highest defender in Chefs game.  I would put $ Von has a better 2024 season then Diggs

Graded out by whom?

Edited by Beck Water

Doesn't anyone find it suspicious that before Brady took over Diggs had 73 catches for 868 Yards, 7 TDs, and perhaps most tellingly, 11.9 YPR, in 10 games, but after Brady took over, in a similar 9 games, had 44 catches for 388 Yards, 1 TD, and 8.8 YPR?  

Prior to Brady Diggs had 7 of 10 games in double-digit YPR.  

After Brady Diggs had 3 of 9 games in double-digit YPR with a max of 12.4.  

In rank order, here are Diggs games ranked by Brady/non-Brady in terms of YPR; 

1st thru 4th:  non-Brady 

5th thru 7th:  Brady 

8th thru 13th:  non-Brady 

14th thru 19th:  Brady 

So we're to assume that Diggs remarkably fell out of the catergory of greatness, besides being a few years earlier than is typical for a WR, once Brady took over then?  

That sounds like a narrative built for fools.  

What's going on is simple.  In a nutshell, McD's notion of "complimentary football" is the offense supporting the Defense, the only thing he knows anything about.  He lacks the coaching skills to maximize the team as a team and has to continue to make the D the focal point, fighting common sense, media and fan knowledge predicated upon years of history, and his own ego to continue to have his Defense shine.  

It's beyond the pale that we have a team led by what will end up being one of the great QBs in NFL history, but the focal point and emphasis in the offseasons have been defense until perhaps this past draft, and even then, we underutilized Kincaid and our passing game.  

It shouldn't at all be surprising if Diggs asks for a trade and shines next season on a team that understands modern football.  

McD's methodologies have tried to turn Diggs into a short-yardage WR.  SMH  

Edited by PBF81

10 hours ago, LifeLongBillsFan said:

Don't quite agree. I think Diggs is no longer a WR1. He's a nice possession receiver at this point, no more. Miller could still be effective; he just wasn't ready this year, much like White wasn't ready last year. 

• Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Two recommendations for you:

1. take a lesson in how to post on the forum.  Probably saying something 8 or 10 times is enough.

2. buy and install a sense of humor.  

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

All posting and no play makes Eastport Bills a dull boy.

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

13 straight weeks without a 100 yard game is concerning. 

If Beane doesn't seriously address the WR position in the off-season, I'm on the "Fire Beane" train. 

Enough is enough.  

Beane and McD are completely tied together.

Beane, when drafting offense, has been much better than drafting defense.

We should be moving into an aggressively offensive draft but I'm concerned McD is in his ear about pass rush and safeties. 

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Top 8-13
Yards, touchdowns, receptions, first downs - everything that matters.

look,  McD has always wanted the offense to protect his defense.  meaning running the ball instead of Josh sitting back there like a target and throwing 40 times per game.  its why he and Daboll had issues,  its why he and Dorsey had issues,  and its why Diggs has less production.  he's not going downfield nearly as much as he has in the past,  its short screen garbage that every D knows is coming and blows up almost immediately,  or stuff over the middle that Josh cant seem to hit with any regularity anymore.  Diggs is out there busting his ass,  getting pounded nearly everytime he touches the ball,  making great grabs at times,  and not saying a word about how his numbers have fallen off a cliff because of above.  

yall need to stfu.   i guarantee you Diggs has an injury nobody knows about.

Edited by bigduke6

11 hours ago, LifeLongBillsFan said:

Diggs last 10 games were the WR1 version of Von's no-shows all season, so....

Edited by SCBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.