Fake Slide should be 15 yard penalty

Zerovoltz

He does hesitate a bit with the juke and, to me, it seems like he might be thinking he should slide and thinks about it.  Saw interviews that pretty much every teammate and coach were yelling "go down" and he might have heard those actual voices but certainly heard those voices in his head.  It's as if he thinks, "I should slide" and then says "Aw, screw it..." and takes off.

1 minute ago, fergie's ire said:

He does hesitate a bit with the juke and, to me, it seems like he might be thinking he should slide and thinks about it.  Saw interviews that pretty much every teammate and coach were yelling "go down" and he might have heard those actual voices but certainly heard those voices in his head.  It's as if he thinks, "I should slide" and then says "Aw, screw it..." and takes off.

My issue with calling it a "fake slide" is that it means that a QB can never wait for a blocker to push a running lane open, or a defender to over-pursue and that makes any officiating of a QB run a mess.

Am I empathetic to defenders? Absolutely. We have to deal with it against Mahomes. The easier solution is getting rid of the slide rules.

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

this angle puts to rest any thought of it being a fake slide. Clearly a stutter step allowing his blockers to make a block.. then he turns on the jets!

I have yet to see a slide when a player has knees bent, legs forward in line with the torso. Slides involve turning 90 degrees. "Fake slide" is sour grapes

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

The late hit on the one he did slide was weak. But no chance anything wrong on the long run. 

but thanks for sharing because it gave me another opportunity to enjoy watching Minkah stopping playing football while Kinkaid kept playing football. Like on the Shakir play where Minkah stopped playing football while Knox kept playing football. 

3 hours ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

I dont think a qb needs/deserves extra protection via the rules when he's on a designed run

They dont have any extra protections as long as they are running. But the act of sliding is essentially giving up and putting yourself in a defenseless position. Can't have defenders taking shots on sitting ducks.

They already made it so the ball is spotted immediately where the slide started. No extra yards or anything.

These rules have been in place for a while, and there's never been a problem. Still isnt other than some Steelers fans want to whine about something that didnt even happen.

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

this angle puts to rest any thought of it being a fake slide. Clearly a stutter step allowing his blockers to make a block.. then he turns on the jets!

/thread. 

Shut ‘er down

This is just the thing all the Bills haters across America (mainly Steelers, Dolphins, and Chiefs fans) have chosen to latch onto from this game. They'll always find something. I love that they're crying about a play that Josh juked a defender, ran him the F over, and exploded for a 52 yard all-time playoff TD run from a QB. Ooooh you've really got them now! Good one! Losers 😄

• Haha (+1) 1

Its as if these buffoons have never seen a stutter stop by a guy running the ball in a football game…., 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Can't penalize thoughts, just actions. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Maybe Josh heard those voices but it probably just phoosh no way he was doing it. Who I really think heard them was probably the defense.

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Its as if these buffoons have never seen a stutter stop by a guy running the ball in a football game…., 

A 6'5" 240# guy.  Not so easy to stop.

• Agree 1

Just a whining type of sour grapes troll that can’t accept his team was not good enough. Watched the Allen run 10 times and I defy any objective observer to say that’s a fake slide. It’s a 240lb, 6’ 5” athlete trying to make a cut. The unnecessary roughness penalty was the NFL trying to protect QBs who are hit when they’re on the ground. 

9 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Just a whining type of sour grapes troll that can’t accept his team was not good enough. Watched the Allen run 10 times and I defy any objective observer to say that’s a fake slide. It’s a 240lb, 6’ 5” athlete trying to make a cut. The unnecessary roughness penalty was the NFL trying to protect QBs who are hit when they’re on the ground. 

Right that's something lost in all this, is the guy they're saying screwed up because he got penalized last week so he hesitated took a bad angle and couldn't make the tackle. Or maybe Josh is 7" taller than him and 65lbs heavier and the guy bounced off like Josh was playing with kids a several grades below him in school.

Edited by Warcodered

You know, any player can slide.  Not just QBs.  I think running backs should start sliding regularly to get the same advantage as QBs.  Defenders will have to make sure to not over pursue with the threat of personal foul calls.  Time to game the system!

3 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Don't see how you can say that. The steelers had to win and get in for all the games he was suspended and all he could do was watch. Usually, a smaller defender will go low on a big guy. But if you do that and he ducks at the last moment? I think that's why he tried to bear hug him instead of bringing the lumber.

He's a similar player to Rapp, with less ability to aim. So if the tables were turned and Rapp was trying to tackle Mahomes like that, what would you think?

And really, I'm not trying to defend Kazee or whatever. I'm just merely trying to provide a little depth from living around Pittsburgh.

I can say that because at the point where Allen's stutter steps were supposedly a "fake slide", Kazee was 9 yards away and in a posture that Safeties use when they're not sure which way they gotta go to make a tackle.  Once Allen committed to moving to Allen's L, then Kazee closed.

Hey @Zerovoltz is it true you bet a member here 150.00 that Jordan Love wouldn’t make the playoffs and then you deleted your PayPal and blocked him on here when he sent you the PayPal request ? 

nice troll job, pay your bets 

maybe drive Uber this weekend, don’t be shady. 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Hey @Zerovoltz is it true you bet a member here 150.00 that Jordan Love wouldn’t make the playoffs and then you deleted your PayPal and blocked him on here when he sent you the PayPal request ? 

I got receipts!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Allen with the blatant fake slide on the long run, then later draws a 15 yard penalty on a late hit on slide where the defender didn't hit his head.....but can you blame him for going for the tackle based on the fake earlier?  

The slide is a play intended to protect the QB, not to do what Allen did.  That was garbage.

Pay up!

Allen with the blatant fake slide on the long run, then later draws a 15 yard penalty on a late hit on slide where the defender didn't hit his head.....but can you blame him for going for the tackle based on the fake earlier?  

The slide is a play intended to protect the QB, not to do what Allen did.  That was garbage.

He didn't fake slide. He juked. Big difference 

25 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

@Zerovoltz

don't be a scumbag

pay your debt

39 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I hate to say this, but Nick Wright actually made a great point on First Things First today.

Mahomes constantly plays with defenders along the sidelines as he acts like he's gonna go out and then continues forward for more yards since the defender doesn't want to get a late hit penalty out of bounds.  That happens a lot with him.

Should that be a 15 yard penalty?

• Like (+1) 1

That isn't a juke...he's slowing as if to slide...7 yards from nearest defender...then starts running again...how is this a juke?  Who is he juking...the guy 7 yards away?

subjectively predicting intent. Get objective man. Like Toney's foot being Offside.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

A 6'5" 240# guy.  Not so easy to stop.

I would really like to hear what speed be was running at after the half way point. Dude looked like he was shot out of a cannon. It was stunning to see such a big dude run so fast 

• Like (+1) 1

Thing is that although this a trick or hike move and not a slide that with all the rules protecting QB that it may make the defender hesitate thinking on the off chance that it is a slide attempt. We saw this sone exceptionally well with Steve Young decades ago.

When running with ball over line of scrimmage then AB should just be treated as a RB-

17 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

There’s plenty of people who think the world is flat. 
Heck, there’s even a Flat Earth Society. 
that doesn’t mean the earth is flat. 

Any observer who has studied Allen’s running style know that he isn’t the smoothest runner around. His jukes, while effective, may seem awkward. 

Look at his run closely. From ground level would be best. Players who are going to slide begin shifting their weight backward, and kicking their legs forwards. There’s a good example of a fake slide from Mahomes in this thread where he does exactly that. 

Note that Allen never shifts his weight backwards.  

im thinking the number of volts matches the IQ…

It's not just that, but there are examples of Allen on film with a 'fake slide'.  Like you say, he drops his hips and sort of positions his front foot like he's gonna slide then keeps going.

He doesn't take several steps back and forth and slow to a pause while his blockers take position, then continue.

30 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's not just that, but there are examples of Allen on film with a 'fake slide'.  Like you say, he drops his hips and sort of positions his front foot like he's gonna slide then keeps going.

He doesn't take several steps back and forth and slow to a pause while his blockers take position, then continue.

where

48 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I would really like to hear what speed be was running at after the half way point. Dude looked like he was shot out of a cannon. It was stunning to see such a big dude run so fast 

I'm sure NGS has him clocked.  I remember after the Vikings game his rookie year, he was clocked as one of the 15 fastest times that Sunday...along with WRs, DBs and RBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

I believe the Music City Miracle was a legal lateral. 

I believe the second fumble in this game was out of bounds by touching his helmet.

I have no problem calling out dirty hits by Bills players or bad ref calls that favored us.

That was nothing close to being a fake slide, nevermind a blatant one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/15/2024 at 6:52 PM, Zerovoltz said:

It wasn't a fake slide. WTF are you talking about?

Just now, jaybills said:

It wasn't a fake slide. WTF are you talking about?

Even if it supposedly was, how can you say it was blatant? That obvious? I don't think so, son. 

7 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

He reached 19 mph... At 250 lb on a slippery track

7 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm sure NGS has him clocked.  I remember after the Vikings game his rookie year, he was clocked as one of the 15 fastest times that Sunday...along with WRs, DBs and RBs. 

He clocked over 20 mph his rookie year during that game...

And clocked in at 19 miles an hour on the 54 yard touchdown run which is insane for a 250 lb man on a slick surface

That should put the bed argument about a fake slide.... A 250 lb man running that fast in bad conditions is literally a Mack truck

Nobody is tackling him

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

This topic is no longer contributing positively to the community and therefore the discussion has been closed.

Thank you.