If I was James Cook I'd be picking Shady's brain all week

It's not about his brain. 

Marv used to talk about 'balance' as one of the most important and underrated attributes for a RB.

Thurman and Shady did not have amazing straight line speed but they had balance. 

This will be a good test for Cook

Edited by Flip Johnson
  • Agree 1

I remember a snowy Steelers game where Le’veon Bell never sprinted to the hole. He hesitated and short stepped his way down the field.  He destroyed us in the game.  Last year in our Snow game against Cinci, our offensive game plan was for a good track. Players were slipping and sliding on our side all over the field.  They seemed most concerned with cleaning their shoe off between plays and being distracted.  In their mind they were out of the game and it showed. Meanwhile Cinci came with the correct game plan, better plan for poor footing and they came to execute.  

There are valuable lessons there.   Training staff get it right this time on foot wear choice. Coaches come better prepared with and executable gameplan. Players get you head right and don’t let the conditions distract you.   Have an attitude that you are above the conditions.  The Steelers have to play in it too.   Tomlin will have everything right, he showed us before in the game I mentioned.  

I hope the lesson was learned……

Edited by since79
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flip Johnson said:

Marc used to talk about 'balance' as one of the most important and underrated attributes for a RB.

Thurman and Shady did not have amazing straight line speed but they had balance. 

Who the hell is Marc?  Marcus Allen?

43 minutes ago, since79 said:

I remember a snowy Steelers game where Le’veon Bell never sprinted to the hole. He hesitated and short stepped his way down the field.  He destroyed us in the game.  Last year in our Snow game against Cinci, our offensive game plan was for a good track. Players were slipping and sliding on our side all over the field.  They seemed most concerned with cleaning their shoe off between plays and being distracted.  In their mind they were out of the game and it showed. Meanwhile Cinci came with the correct game plan, better plan for poor footing and they came to execute.  

There are valuable lessons there.   Training staff get it right this time on foot wear choice. Coaches come better prepared with and executable gameplan. Players get you head right and don’t let the conditions distract you.   Have an attitude that you are above the conditions.  The Steelers have to play in it too.   Tomlinson will have everything right, he showed us before in the game I mentioned.  

That wasn’t the snow game.  That was just how Bell used to run behind the Steelers OL in 2016.  It was a combo that worked well until he decided he was going hold.  His career was never the same.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, realtruelove said:

OJ was a mudder.  One of the criteria already mentioned was great balance.  Bowed legs and a wide stance is another.

'slashing away at helpless defenders'

i'll see myself out

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

One of the best snow-runners of all time, with a history here.  Maybe even bring Shady in as a consultant for this game.

Thing is, if it's true as someone said that Shady grew up playing ball on snowy fields in PA, Shady probably doesn't know what it is he does.

It's second nature to him, so he just plays.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

Marc used to talk about 'balance' as one of the most important and underrated attributes for a RB.

Singletary also has pretty good contact balance. Bounces off tacklers and finds ways through creases. James is more elusive tho. And Thurm ran so low to the ground he was hard to take down. 

40 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Cleats matter

And gloves.  When Flutie came from Canada he brought glass cutter gloves which really seemed to work.

https://uni-watch.com/2012/01/31/a-visit-to-the-little-league-museum/

Responding to yesterday’s info on glass cutter gloves in the CFL, Jason Cutts writes: “I think the website you were looking at was a bunch of Saskatchewan homers patting themselves on the back. I believe the first CFL player to wear glass cutters was Dave Sapunjis. Another fun fact: The technology was patented, where nylon was applied to the back of the gloves, and they were called cutters. It’s true that Flutie brought the gloves to the NFL and many Buffalo receivers started wearing them. I recall hearing that the NFL bought out the patent after being sued or at least threatened.”

4 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

One of the best snow-runners of all time, with a history here.  Maybe even bring Shady in as a consultant for this game.

That Colts game (i believe) was my favorite game that year by far, Shady had the walk off TD

5 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Good call out, but I think it's just how the running style is. Gale Sayers was like that as well. I don't know how much a player can adapt to this by trying to change his running style. Shady had a gift with it. It was like he wasn't even impacted and nobody could keep upright. That Lions/Eagles game will always be very memorable for me.   

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Play on your heels instead of your toes

Agree, I think it lends itself more to a flat footed running style. Just logic. More surface area touches the ground the better traction.  Some people really are flat footed vs others with how they make contact with the ground. 

2 hours ago, since79 said:

There are valuable lessons there.   Training staff get it right this time on foot wear choice. Coaches come better prepared with and executable gameplan. Players get you head right and don’t let the conditions distract you.   Have an attitude that you are above the conditions.  The Steelers have to play in it too.   Tomlin will have everything right, he showed us before in the game I mentioned.  

Our defense is small and fast. Snow is the worst thing for us. 

Edited by Mikie2times

6 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Agree, I think it lends itself more to a flat footed running style. Just logic. More surface area touches the ground the better traction.  Some people really are flat footed vs others with how they make contact with the ground.

I actually learned that from listening to Gale Sayers.

It actually works if you can overcome your ingrained instincts.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I actually learned that from listening to Gale Sayers.

It actually works if you can overcome your ingrained instincts.

As a flat footer, chronic shin splinter, and long strider I had no agility but I kept better footing than most in the elements. Interesting that Sayers was trying to consciously run like that. I just thought he was flat footed.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If I was James Cook I'd sub out for Fournette. This game begs for the bigger back. Fournette can go over 100 this week.

Harris would've been perfect in this game but Fournette will do. The only advantage Cook might have to a small degree is the hesitation in his cuts. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.