Dolphins Hard Knocks

Mynamemike

I think often times when OC's succeed or fail it is because they don't have the right mix of x's and o's skill and feel for play calling. That is one thing that the Shanahan tree has been really good at. They aren't just smart and prepared with good vision, they have a good feel for the game and what to call when. 

Dorsey could maybe use some time working with guys in that tree. He seems to be a smart dude who can draft and design plays. Put together a good game plan, but struggles to execute the proper order of operations on game day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I would agree with that except I think we win 9 out of 10..

McDermott got luck with that end of the first half blunder,  we left 3 points on the table.

There's that and Baker found out that when he doesn't lead with the crown of his helmet, that the Bills might just break his tackle and wrist.

30 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Yea, I just finished the episode, I think McDaniel is far from their biggest problem.  They’ve got a ton of injuries, and Tua is not Josh.  If it’s not for Harty’s punt return TD, we probably lose that game, against a really banged up Dolphins team.  Granted we wasted a lot of opportunities on offense too, but Miami isn’t losing because of McDaniel and his coaching style.

Josh was not. Going to lose that game.

4 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Ridiculous when you have too much $ and just burn it away on crap.  They look like clown shoes.

I guess my generation is no better with the pet rock scam.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ridiculous when you have too much $ and just burn it away on crap.  They look like clown shoes.

A lot of people bought CB radios that they didn't need after they watched Smokey and the Bandit.

• Haha (+1) 2

Hearing Baker say on the last play before Halftime, "if he throws it over here, i'm gonna let him catch it" was rough. Absolutely can't try that and it seems like they goaded him into doing it by staying back, leaving him open, and preparing to stop it. Luckily it didn't matter in the end.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

if my parents would have (wisely) invested all the money they spent on my sister and I on Beanie Babies in the late 90s, and gave it to us, we’d have a nice little nest egg right about now!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, julian said:

It’s not about what he looks like, he’s a try hard with the forced F-bombs an awkward interactions. He just might not have what it takes to lead men through adversity and hold their attention in bad times. 

Daboll doesn’t strike me as a long term HC either to be honest, he’s maybe too confrontational and abrasive, and without sustained success that’ll get old real fast.

To be honest, I'm not sure he's really "try hard" with the F-bombs or forcing them.  I think it may be enough how you talk in the locker rooms he's been living in for decades, and it comes out.

Whether or not he has what it takes to "lead men through adversity and hold their attention in hard times" is fair I guess.

I believe I may agree with your take on Daboll - I dunno about "too confrontational and abraisive" but I had the impression on some topics he had nothing to learn because he knew it all already.  But according to the Dunne "expose' " some Buffalo players thought the "best case" would be to fire McDermott and bring Daboll in as HC.  Whoever those players were, wonder if they're still on the team and if they still think so.

4 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Just trying to figure out if jerome bakers mom is still in labor with him with all the noise she makes the whole time lol

"Oh baby, oh come on jerome, oh my"

That kind of talk usually precedes the labor by 9 months

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

To be honest, I'm not sure he's really "try hard" with the F-bombs or forcing them.  I think it may be enough how you talk in the locker rooms he's been living in for decades, and it comes out.

Whether or not he has what it takes to "lead men through adversity and hold their attention in hard times" is fair I guess.

I believe I may agree with your take on Daboll - I dunno about "too confrontational and abraisive" but I had the impression on some topics he had nothing to learn because he knew it all already.  But according to the Dunne "expose' " some Buffalo players thought the "best case" would be to fire McDermott and bring Daboll in as HC.  Whoever those players were, wonder if they're still on the team and if they still think so.

All very valid points, I’ll just say after watching McDaniel behind the scenes I feel pretty good about the Bills maintaining their division dominance moving forward.

7 hours ago, Low Positive said:

He's not a joke, he's just not a head coach. He should be an OC cooking up plays in the lab. You are correct about the unnecessary F-bombs. It looks like he's forcing them in an attempt to be relatable to players, but at his core McDaniel is the Yalee that he is. Also, putting the Yale football helmet in his office is a strange touch.

Especially when if you go to his online player bio it says “There are no statistics available for this player.”

I used to know a guy who was on Dartmouth’s squad in the early ‘90s when Jay Fiedler was their QB.  He couldn’t ever get through a conversation without bringing up that he played college football and owned three Ivy championship rings.  His playing career consisted of a single kickoff coverage in the final game of his senior year.  He has his three rings encased in a glass box on his mantelpiece.  That’s what I thought of when I saw the helmet. 

Look, I know it’s a big deal to make a college roster in any sport, particularly at the D-1 level.  But it’s always the guys that didn’t play who brag the most about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought McDaniel came off as a pretty good guy - the players really seem to love him.  He seems like he’d be a fun coworker.  But I have to agree with what a lot of people are saying about him as a leader.  

Some of what he says just seems really corny and contrived.  He’s also in a horrible position because what can he really say after a loss?  

7 hours ago, julian said:

It’s not about what he looks like, he’s a try hard with the forced F-bombs an awkward interactions.

You know who's not forcing those F-bombs a bit?  Tyreek Hill limping off the field after Rapp leveled him and the ball squirted out.  "B word!  *****!  *****!  *****!"

Sounded 100% genuine.

• Haha (+1) 1

Catching up on this series since the Fins are likely done after Saturday. Episode 2, Phillips pops his Achilles. Before it happened, he was walking like he knew something was wrong, but instead of pulling himself out of the game he decided to go full out and then immediately hit the ground like he got shot. Injuries suck, man, wish we could turn them off like in Madden. Had no idea how extensive his injury history was in college, I wouldn’t have drafted him in the first round.

So for right now, Hard Knocks Episode 9 Full Episode up on Youtube

So far I'm "up to" McDaniel standing in front of an auditorium with his team, wearing men's capris and a substantial-looking long sleeved sweater with a high collar, telling his team that their playoff loss to Buffalo (in Buffalo) last season was so much fun in the cold, that he asked last year "I wish it was colder" and got his wish, and they're going to have so much fun in the arctic air of Arrowhead.

They look un-persuaded by his rhetoric.

Especially when they're in KC and a lot of the players have bare arms, while he's huddled up in a puffy coat with a hat and a neck gaiter and what looks like a neoprene face mask.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So far I'm "up to" McDaniel standing in front of an auditorium with his team, wearing men's capris and a substantial-looking long sleeved sweater with a high collar, telling his team that their playoff loss to Buffalo (in Buffalo) last season was so much fun in the cold, that he asked last year "I wish it was colder" and got his wish, and they're going to have so much fun in the arctic air of Arrowhead.

Especially when they're in KC and a lot of the players have bare arms, while he's huddled up in a puffy coat with a hat and a neck gaiter and what looks like a neoprene face mask.

That guy is such a clown.

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Let’s not forget just a few weeks prior it was 46 degrees in NYC and he was huddled next to the torpedo heater saying he is cold. 

Man even though it’s the Dolphins it was sad to see their season at the hands of the Chiefs.  I sure as hell hope that doesn’t happen Sunday night.  

I’m convinced that Mike McDaniel is Rex Ryan.  He wants to be the players best friend and he’s also a big talker (not as charismatic though).  This is all good once your winning but when you lose, those motivational pep talks loses impact.  It kind of seemed like Miami knew they were going into Arrowhead to lose.  

20 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Let’s not forget just a few weeks prior it was 46 degrees in NYC and he was huddled next to the torpedo heater saying he is cold. 

And you know, I don't want to dog the man for that.  Different people have different thermostats.

But maybe, if you're cold at 46 degrees in NYC, it doesn't come across the best when you wear a shirt that says "I wish it was COLDER" and telling your players it's going to be fantastic for them to be slamming into the cement hard Astroturf of Arrowhead while you're huddling next to the heater in your puffy coat

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

And you know, I don't want to dog the man for that.  Different people have different thermostats.

But maybe, if you're cold at 46 degrees in NYC, it doesn't come across the best when you wear a shirt that says "I wish it was COLDER" and telling your players it's going to be fantastic for them to be slamming into the cement hard Astroturf of Arrowhead while you're huddling next to the heater in your puffy coat

This stuff is what makes him a poseur. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

This stuff is what makes him a poseur. 

I kind of see your point.  To me anyway, it would come across more sincerely if he were "I'm freezing cold all the time, even in Miami.  But you guys can play red hot.  We've had one goal in sight all year round, and it's here: Win a Playoff Game.  I'm counting on you to play so hard you knock the F out of Freezer" or something like that.

• Agree 1

On 1/10/2024 at 11:58 AM, Preds said:

Anyone else notice Jerome Baker inflating his career wins against the Bills as only beating the Bills "two times" yet it's actually only once in the past 12 games (6 seasons), and that was the heat-index game with the ridiculous stadium advantage of shade vs no-shade in 100 degree temps.

Baker did beat the Bills week 13 of 2018 when he was a rookie in addition to the heat game you correctly cite. 

Just now, Beck Water said:

I kind of see your point.  To me anyway, it would come across more sincerely if he were "I'm freezing cold all the time, even in Miami.  But you guys can play red hot.  We've had one goal in sight all year round, and it's here: Win a Playoff Game.  I'm counting on you to play so hard you knock the F out of Freezer" or something like that.

If you're talking about the cold you're acknowledging that it's in your head. It's something you're focusing on that isn't the game. When you make a specific point of it then people see you clearly cold it's just smh from there on.  It's the coach's job to get his team ready. This is multiple games in the cold where he focused on the cold and they lost. Maybe don't acknowledge it and focus more on the team you're playing.  No amount of Florida AC can simulate it so why even try to do that. It's fake and everyone knows it's fake. Just be you. Play your game, weather be damned. This whole "I wish it were colder" crap is just bull from the gate. I hope he keeps doing it because it keeps exposing them.

32 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

If you're talking about the cold you're acknowledging that it's in your head. It's something you're focusing on that isn't the game. When you make a specific point of it then people see you clearly cold it's just smh from there on.  It's the coach's job to get his team ready. This is multiple games in the cold where he focused on the cold and they lost. Maybe don't acknowledge it and focus more on the team you're playing.  No amount of Florida AC can simulate it so why even try to do that. It's fake and everyone knows it's fake. Just be you. Play your game, weather be damned. This whole "I wish it were colder" crap is just bull from the gate. I hope he keeps doing it because it keeps exposing them.

I agree with this, but I think he was being authentic. He's dry and sarcastic and somewhat abnormal to most and I think him mocking the cold is his version of dismissing it. Sort of like Eminem in the last scene in 8 mile he thinks calling it out vs not calling out sort of eliminates it's power. His way of doing that is to be sarcastic and somewhat silly in doing so. Now is this the right move? Who knows. His teams lost because they weren't good enough more than they weren't ready. I mean they damn near upset us with Skyler Thompson last year. So I'm hesitant to say his players didn't care. We clearly had the better team last year and KC clearly had the better team this year.    

15 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I agree with this, but I think he was being authentic. He's dry and sarcastic and somewhat abnormal to most and I think him mocking the cold is his version of dismissing it. Sort of like Eminem in the last scene in 8 mile he thinks calling it out vs not calling out sort of eliminates it's power. His way of doing that is to be sarcastic and somewhat silly in doing so. Now is this the right move? Who knows. His teams lost because they weren't good enough more than they weren't ready. I mean they damn near upset us with Skyler Thompson last year. So I'm hesitant to say his players didn't care. We clearly had the better team last year and KC clearly had the better team this year.    

I'm not saying they didn't care. I'm saying they didn't cope. They folded each of those times. Last year with the I wish it were colder, this year with the stupid 🤔t-shirts, then bringing up the cold again after yakking up the division to us. It's an attempt at fake swagger just like the stupid glasses and the capri pants and all that.  He's an insecure child trying desperately for the cool kids to like him. He's completely out of his depth and praying nobody else finds out.

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I see your point about him being authentic, but I also see @That's No Moon's point that "Don't Think About Elephants" tends to bring thoughts of elephants into your head and "I wish it were colder" does the same thing with weather.

I could be giving the Dolphins too little credit, but I felt that we damned near beat ourselves with stupid turnovers more than they damn near upset us.

I didn't mean to be saying his players didn't care globally, because I'm sure they do, and maybe nothing he could say would make a difference - ultimately, I think they they were battling too many defensive injuries and had lost too many pieces from their defense to be competitive in KC and they knew it.  But in that segment of Hard Knocks, he sure didn't seem to be impressing them.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I view it as more of a hostile road environment problem than a weather problem with the Fish's offense.  They play too much of a timing based offense with motions/shifts/rpo's that leads to more mistakes in a loud/hostile environment.  Plus, they lack physicality in the running game and some of that is do to injuries on the o-line.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:40 AM, Beck Water said:

Look, I thought McDaniel was a scrubby little runt who wasn't gonna cut it as a coach, but his team went from 9-8 to 11-6.  I don't think they do that without being capable and players buyin in.

So what coach isn't a joke?  Is Daboll a joke?  He's supposed to be a "man's man" who smokes cigars etc. , his team went from 9-7-1 to 6-11

His team is absolutely all in from a roster construction standpoint…11 wins and second in the division getting swept by your division rival most years just isn’t good enough.  Armstead is likely gonna retire, tyreek is gonna decline fairly soon, and they’re way over the cap with a tua extension looming and no answers on defense really.  Xavien Howard is probably gonna be a cap casualty 

the 2 year McDaniel era outperformed the last 2 years of Brian Flores by a whopping 1 game despite Flores getting fired long before the rebuild was completed with a ton of future assets 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.