Dolphins Hard Knocks

Mynamemike

1 hour ago, Mynamemike said:

first time watching the in season hard knocks.  Gotta say I’m not impressed with McDaniel and it sure seems he’s lost the locker room.  His little quips and quirky responses are funny when they’re winning but it seems like they’re getting pretty tired of it, although that could just be how they edit the show.  

I've always said that about him - the quirky word-salad nerd stuff plays when things are going great - but when things are tough are players really going to look at that and think this guy is a great leader of men

I've been purposely avoiding watching this Dolphin version hard knocks - but I'll defnitely check out this week's

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, stevewin said:

I've been purposely avoiding watching this Dolphin version hard knocks - but I'll defnitely check out this week's

there’s some interesting stuff on there about the players’ backstories - one of their guys (Alec Ingold I believe?) literally lived in an RV with his wife when he was with the Ravens for a couple years.

McDaniel has just “led” his team to their second collapse in as many seasons.  Excuses for him abound, but he is just not a head coach; not a leader.  He is an arrogant d bag on top of that.  He has a creative spin on the WCO as further developed and enhanced by Shanahan, but its success this year has been entirely predicated on the combination of unique offensive talents and primarily speed.  Take some of that away, and meh.  Clueless.  It’s a matter of time until he finds his way to the scrap heap of Dolphin coaches.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

daboll does not have the talent mcdaniel does. mcdaniel is a doof

No question on that at all.  The Dolphins do have talent and more than most teams.

The point is, Daboll managed to get the crew he had to improve their record from 4-13 to 9-7-1, then the wheels fell off this year even though they were widely held to have ADDED talent in the off season.

So the Manly man who looks like a real football coach had the wheels fall off, while the Doof managed to improve?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

McDaniel has just “led” his team to their second collapse in as many seasons.  Excuses for him abound, but he is just not a head coach; not a leader.  He is an arrogant d bag on top of that.  He has a creative spin on the WCO as further developed and enhanced by Shanahan, but its success this year has been entirely predicated on the combination of unique offensive talents and primarily speed.  Take some of that away, and meh.  Clueless.  It’s a matter of time until he finds his way to the scrap heap of Dolphin coaches.  

One of the things that influenced my opinion of him was a while back someone posted a podcast called the Playcallers that talked about the kyle shanahan/ mcvay tree.  They had interview snippets from a bunch of guys that were in that world. Whenever McDaniel was on there to me he was a real douche - trying to take credit for stuff and slyly throwing shade at the others

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

No question on that at all.  The Dolphins do have talent and more than most teams.

The point is, Daboll managed to get the crew he had to improve their record from 4-13 to 9-7-1, then the wheels fell off this year even though they were widely held to have ADDED talent in the off season.

So the Manly man who looks like a real football coach had the wheels fall off, while the Doof managed to improve?

It’s not about what he looks like, he’s a try hard with the forced F-bombs an awkward interactions. He just might not have what it takes to lead men through adversity and hold their attention in bad times. 

Daboll doesn’t strike me as a long term HC either to be honest, he’s maybe too confrontational and abrasive, and without sustained success that’ll get old real fast.

Edited by julian
  • Agree 3

36 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

The cursing did stand out to me when I binge-watched the first 5 episodes last night.  Can you imagine McDermott cussing like a sailor in every team meeting and practice? 😂

I've noticed this in other Hard Knocks seasons - there always seems to be a coach at some level that seems to be trying to drop F bombs every other word to show some kind of toughness or something, but it usually backfires to me to just make them look stupid

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

Just watched the whole thing. That was CINEMA. 

What stands out to me is just how much the Buffalo Bills are in the heads of the Miami Dolphins at this point. They almost seemed to know what was coming. 

Also, I found it odd that the day after Tyreek's fire no one had really got in contact with him. Yeah, Tua said he tried calling and sent a text...but I have to feel like I'd that was one of our guys the team would have actually showed up in person to see if they could help. This team is just that close. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I did cringe when McDaniel kept referring to himself as a "party boy" when he was young and drinking. I kept picturing him standing at a bar by himself, nursing a single shot of tequila, then finally taking a sip and reacting like Doc Brown in Back to the Future 3

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

The magic is wearing off in Miami. They are realizing McDaniel's might not be the genius they thought he was and Tua is a 1 read QB with a noodle arm

Idk id rather have Mdaniels calling our plays with Josh Allen at the helm than Brady.

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

i am reserving next year for judgement on Daboll. I think it was premature to step so far last year similarly to the 2017 Bills.

If they can put together a cast next year they can compete. But, they play in a very tough division where a 3rd place finish can be respectable.

1 minute ago, Ramza86 said:

Idk id rather have Mdaniels calling our plays with Josh Allen at the helm than Brady.

Josh doesn't fit into that offense. He wants to run around and do whatever he wants. The McDaniel's & Shannahan offense is 1 read, 3 steps and throw. It's timing based. If Josh would play in structure he would potentially extend his career but as Tom Brady put it Josh is like a hard headed kid and will not listen and just do whatever he wants.

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Watched this episode last night. 

The players seemed like they couldn't care less while listening to McDaniels meandering pep talks.

They kept cutting away to the players and they were either bored to tears or looked confused. The dude offered up such awkward, milk toast word salad all week...

But it was an awesome episode watching McDaniels flounder knowing what was coming. Highly recommend. 

Also Jerome Baker needs season ending wrist surgery after he tried to tackle Josh Allen on his 3rd and 13 scramble for the 1sr down.

McDaniel came across much more real and sincere talking to the team after practice (about 13 min in) about how it was a special day for him because he was 8 years sober and then how he saw intentionality and they were more of a team etc etc. - players seemed much more positive about what he said.

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Josh doesn't fit into that offense. He wants to run around and do whatever he wants. The McDaniel's & Shannahan offense is 1 read, 3 steps and throw. It's timing based. If Josh would play in structure he would potentially extend his career but as Tom Brady put it Josh is like a hard headed kid and will not listen and just do whatever he wants.

Oh wow, I didn't realize Tom Brady actually said that about Josh.  Link, or can you point me at where and when? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.