Dolphins Hard Knocks

Mynamemike

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Oh wow, I didn't realize Tom Brady actually said that about Josh.  Link, or can you point me at where and when? 

Josh was on Tom Brady's podcast and he said Josh reminds him of his oldest son. I'll see if I can find it

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

i am reserving next year for judgement on Daboll. I think it was premature to step so far last year similarly to the 2017 Bills.

If they can put together a cast next year they can compete. But, they play in a very tough division where a 3rd place finish can be respectable.

The difference between the 2017 and 2018 Bills compared to the 2022 Giants and 2023 Giants, is that the Bills draft class in 2018 brought in that raw young stallion of a QB Josh Allen who needed to grow into the NFL.  It was a growth/rebuilding year and everyone on the team knew it, then they upgraded the talent at key positions like WR and OL (people don't remember, but 2018 to 2019 was a big jump in OL competence).  They cleared cap space in 2018 and spent it.

In contrast, the Giants just tied up a shitton of cap space in Daniel "I busted, now my ACL did too" and failed to sign the best player on their team Saquon Barkley.  So I agree with you on "if" they can put together a cast next year, but it's a huge IF.

I don't think 6-11 is ever respectable.  AFC North where the 3rd place team (Steelers) is 10-7 and made the playoffs, 3rd place finish there is respectable.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

contrast him with the Outside Linebackers coach (forgot his name).  Talk about a fiery guy!

I like McDaniel (at least from what I’ve seen).  He’s an odd duck from an NFL head coach perspective, but his style is kind of refreshing to see.

Refreshing my Ass. He talks like he did a Qualude before the team meeting. The players all had that look on their faces because no one can understand WTF he was saying in his ADHD spiritual jibberish rant. What a dooshnozzle.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Refused to watch until this episode.

Man. McDaniels is insufferable. That schtick is wearing thin, you can see it on the faces of the players.  His F bombs are brutal, almost like a skinny, twerp trying to be cool.

I do love how we have owned them in the past years! Most likely helped when the momentum swung.  Kinda like “here we go again”.

1 hour ago, boyst said:

mike mcdaniel isn't real. he's that gangley bug eyed kid from SNL playing the role of an NFL coach while pretending to be a 16 yr old kid in the nieghborhood wanting to be cool

the unnecessary cursing, the look and hands in pocket, the weird bug like movements with the hands, he's a joke and i'm glad he's finally getting exposed.

Who would you choose between him and the coach of the Bills you have referred to as McFraud? You can only choose one. 

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Just watched the whole thing. That was CINEMA. 

What stands out to me is just how much the Buffalo Bills are in the heads of the Miami Dolphins at this point. They almost seemed to know what was coming. 

Also, I found it odd that the day after Tyreek's fire no one had really got in contact with him. Yeah, Tua said he tried calling and sent a text...but I have to feel like I'd that was one of our guys the team would have actually showed up in person to see if they could help. This team is just that close. 

I only had a chance to watch the first few minutes so far, but that looks like a beaten down team that knows they’ve got another beat down coming up against the Bills.  Very few confident faces in that room.  And let’s be real, they are more banged up than us right now too.  Plus, we have Josh Allen.  So they have reason to be demoralized.  I’d like to watch the rest of the episode, but I am going into it having been generally impressed with McDaniel so far.  Curious to see whether the episode changes my opinion or not.

• Like (+1) 1

McDaniels has a different approach than the traditional coach for sure. I think as a Bills fan it's easy to overlook him because of our teams blessed dominance of him and the Miami Dolphins. 

There's alot of 'tough guy' coaches who frankly suck. Look at Greg Schiano. You want to talk about a douchebag...remember "Schiano's men?"

The Dolphins won 11 games and made the playoffs. I'm not so sure this guy doesn't know what he's doing. 

The Bills do currently own him though for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The magic is wearing off in Miami. They are realizing McDaniel's might not be the genius they thought he was and Tua is a 1 read QB with a noodle arm

McDaniel is ***** absolutely a ***** genius and *****, he's the most mother*****ing inspiring ***** speaker with his life experience *****.

• Haha (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Josh doesn't fit into that offense. He wants to run around and do whatever he wants. The McDaniel's & Shannahan offense is 1 read, 3 steps and throw. It's timing based. If Josh would play in structure he would potentially extend his career but as Tom Brady put it Josh is like a hard headed kid and will not listen and just do whatever he wants.

This is true and it's also why I give Tua more credit than a lot of people. He's a system QB for sure but it's a system lots of QBs would struggle in because it's all about being disciplined, having your timings down and being accurate. Tua is great at that, and when it's working they look unstoppable. The problem is that, like a TV presenter who turns to ***** when the autocue stops working, Tua is unable to do anything off script. I actually think the level of scripting he sees with McDaniel's offense might have hindered him even more in that regard because he's so focused on person A being at point B and delivering the ball at that exact moment, whenever anything out of the ordinary happens he starts to panic

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Just watched the whole thing. That was CINEMA. 

What stands out to me is just how much the Buffalo Bills are in the heads of the Miami Dolphins at this point. They almost seemed to know what was coming. 

Also, I found it odd that the day after Tyreek's fire no one had really got in contact with him. Yeah, Tua said he tried calling and sent a text...but I have to feel like I'd that was one of our guys the team would have actually showed up in person to see if they could help. This team is just that close. 

I actually came away with the opposite. It is crazy to me that he didn't respond to anybody in the building. Not a coach or a teammate. 

Certainly there are bigger things going on, but to me it just sort of cosigns how I view him/how he is. A million people checking up on him and he doesn't respond to one person on the team, not a coach, not another WR, not his QB. Nobody. Sports and football in particular tend to be pretty familial, but Tyreek isn't interested in being a good brother the same way he isn't interested in being a good father or good partner. 

• Like (+1) 4

Anyone else notice Jerome Baker inflating his career wins against the Bills as only beating the Bills "two times" yet it's actually only once in the past 12 games (6 seasons), and that was the heat-index game with the ridiculous stadium advantage of shade vs no-shade in 100 degree temps.

Edited by Preds

14 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I only had a chance to watch the first few minutes so far, but that looks like a beaten down team that knows they’ve got another beat down coming up against the Bills.  Very few confident faces in that room.  And let’s be real, they are more banged up than us right now too.  Plus, we have Josh Allen.  So they have reason to be demoralized.  I’d like to watch the rest of the episode, but I am going into it having been generally impressed with McDaniel so far.  Curious to see whether the episode changes my opinion or not.

The first few minutes are from after getting whooped by Baltimore. 

I think McDaniel is a good coach and good dude. I think he is a pretty thoughtful, genuine, quirky, overthinker. Maybe he isn't some revolutionary, but I am not sure how much more juice another coach could squeeze out of that team with Tua. Like are they a 14 win team under McVay, McD, Vrabel, Cambpell, Harbaugh? I just don't see it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Preds said:

Anyone else notice Jerome Baker inflating his career wins against the Bills as only beating the Bills "two times" yet it's actually only once in the past 12 games (6 seasons), and that was the heat-index game with the ridiculous stadium advantage of shade vs no-shade in 100 degree temps.

He's been there since 2018 so he was there for Charles Clay not catching that pass.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Preds said:

They beat us on 12/2 in Miami. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/bills-record-vs-dolphins-last-6-years

45 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Who would you choose between him and the coach of the Bills you have referred to as McFraud? You can only choose one. 

right now - mcdermott.

i am allowing my mind to change but i am not going to be held at gunpoint to make a decision. i'd rather be shot.

but historically - daboll

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

One of the things that influenced my opinion of him was a while back someone posted a podcast called the Playcallers that talked about the kyle shanahan/ mcvay tree.  They had interview snippets from a bunch of guys that were in that world. Whenever McDaniel was on there to me he was a real douche - trying to take credit for stuff and slyly throwing shade

I did not hear that, but it sounds entirely in character for him.  

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I actually came away with the opposite. It is crazy to me that he didn't respond to anybody in the building. Not a coach or a teammate. 

Certainly there are bigger things going on, but to me it just sort of cosigns how I view him/how he is. A million people checking up on him and he doesn't respond to one person on the team, not a coach, not another WR, not his QB. Nobody. Sports and football in particular tend to be pretty familial, but Tyreek isn't interested in being a good brother the same way he isn't interested in being a good father or good partner. 

Yea, I just finished the episode, I think McDaniel is far from their biggest problem.  They’ve got a ton of injuries, and Tua is not Josh.  If it’s not for Harty’s punt return TD, we probably lose that game, against a really banged up Dolphins team.  Granted we wasted a lot of opportunities on offense too, but Miami isn’t losing because of McDaniel and his coaching style.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

You see, hear and feel the Bills dominance from their point of view and it's dark.  Very very dark for Miami vs the Bills in the Allen/McDermott era.

Well said. That was my takeaway as well.

2 hours ago, boyst said:

mike mcdaniel isn't real. he's that gangley bug eyed kid from SNL playing the role of an NFL coach while pretending to be a 16 yr old kid in the nieghborhood wanting to be cool

the unnecessary cursing, the look and hands in pocket, the weird bug like movements with the hands, he's a joke and i'm glad he's finally getting exposed.

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

The cursing did stand out to me when I binge-watched the first 5 episodes last night.  Can you imagine McDermott cussing like a sailor in every team meeting and practice? 😂

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

He's not a joke, he's just not a head coach. He should be an OC cooking up plays in the lab. You are correct about the unnecessary F-bombs. It looks like he's forcing them in an attempt to be relatable to players, but at his core McDaniel is the Yalee that he is. Also, putting the Yale football helmet in his office is a strange touch.

After the first Bills-Fish game he met McD at midfield and told him "I respect the !@#$ out of you."  Who does that?

• Like (+1) 1

All of McDaniels' speeches sucked. He is horrible at addressing the team. Just stuff as much meaningless sports jargon, motivation jargon, and swear words into your speech as possible. That's all he does.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Yea, I just finished the episode, I think McDaniel is far from their biggest problem.  They’ve got a ton of injuries, and Tua is not Josh.  If it’s not for Harty’s punt return TD, we probably lose that game, against a really banged up Dolphins team.  Granted we wasted a lot of opportunities on offense too, but Miami isn’t losing because of McDaniel and his coaching style.

And without all our turnovers in the red zone it’s a landslide. I’d say we were closer to a bigger win than a loss and I think the stats back that up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

He's not a joke, he's just not a head coach. He should be an OC cooking up plays in the lab. You are correct about the unnecessary F-bombs. It looks like he's forcing them in an attempt to be relatable to players, but at his core McDaniel is the Yalee that he is. Also, putting the Yale football helmet in his office is a strange touch.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a Harvard grad and extremely popular... just because someone is an Ivy League grad doesn't mean they have to be labeled as non relatable.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

The Bills actually dominated them in almost every statistical category. It should have been a blowout. But, of course, the offense kept shooting themselves in the foot with turnovers and blunders.

Play this game 10 times and I think the Bills win all of them. Everything that possibly could go wrong for Buffalo went wrong, and they still beat them.

Edited by MJS
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a Harvard grad and extremely popular... just because someone is an Ivy League grad doesn't mean they have to be labeled as non relatable.

The difference is nobody would ever call Fitz a nerd.  McDaniel is basically a grown-up Steve Urkel.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

McDaniel is weird, but he seems like a good coach. He does not seem like a leader of men, so we shall see where this all goes long-term. 

Also, maybe I am just old and out of touch, but what was Jerome baker wearing at the end? 

7 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

And without all our turnovers in the red zone it’s a landslide. I’d say we were closer to a bigger win than a loss and I think the stats back that up. 

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Bills actually dominated them in almost every statistical category. It should have been a blowout. But, of course, the offense kept shooting themselves in the foot with turnovers and blunders.

Play this game 10 times and I think the Bills win all of them. Everything that possibly could go wrong for Buffalo went wrong, and they still beat them.

Dolphins didn’t get beat because of McDaniel is my main point, wasn’t really commenting on the Bills.  The Dolphins are really banged up.  KC’s been pretty sketchy too, but Dolphins going to play in -5 degree whether and banged up, if they can even keep the game close would be impressive for McDaniel and his team.

• Like (+1) 1

Another random related thought:  If Vrabel doesn’t go for 2 (and make it) after that first TD the Titans scored in the 4th quarter of that MNF upset, there’s a decent chance the Bills are hosting exactly zero home playoff games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Dolphins didn’t get beat because of McDaniel is my main point, wasn’t really commenting on the Bills.  The Dolphins are really banged up.  KC’s been pretty sketchy too, but Dolphins going to play in -5 degree whether and banged up, if they can even keep the game close would be impressive for McDaniel and his team.

I think they did get beat because of him. He was clearly out coached in the 2nd half. McDermott adjusted on defense and McDaniel was not able to handle it. They ran for 100 yards the first half and 7 in the 2nd half. And they barely even attempted any runs, even though they had the lead or at least a tie for most of the rest of the game, until the Bills went up.

I think this failure rests significantly on the shoulders of McDaniels. Yes, there were many factors, but coaching was certainly one of them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boyst said:

Agree 100%.

I was thinking almost the same thing on  the excessive cursing.  Seems like a wimpy kid (yes I know he played football)  that tries to act tough with all the f bombs.

PS.  WTH was the knitting lesson at the end?

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

I would agree with that except I think we win 9 out of 10..

McDermott got luck with that end of the first half blunder,  we left 3 points on the table.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.