Steelers @ Bills. Monday, January 15th at 4:30pm.

Einstein

The weather is bad news for the Bills and great news for the Steelers, who are an inferior team in exactly the areas eliminated by the bad weather. The only difference between them now is that Allen can run more effectively than Rudolph, which is not much of an advantage. The game is likely to be decided by something stupid: a blocked punt, a defender falling down, a fumbled snap, etc. 

It's basically a coin flip game, which sucks, because the Bills would blow them out in good weather. 

• Disagree 6
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This stinks about rapp.  I imagine douglas and dodson will be inactive sunday also.

Losing three guys on the back end like this will show up in the game at some point no matter what anyone says about them not being needed...whatever that means.

this game is going to be about toughness and standing in there and taking a punch and then giving one back.  The bills have played a style of football since brady has taken over that has gotten them prepared for this but losing key guys in the secondary hurts.  

Micah Hyde is one bad hit away from that stinger-shoulder-neck injury popping back up.   

hopefully the offense comes out on fire and scores the first couple times they get the ball and just force pittsburgh to try and throw in the second half, the bills defensive line is going to win some battles against a qb who doesn't move at all in this scenario.  

48 hours till kickoff.  Sleeping is going to be hard!

Edited by MikePJ76

1 minute ago, finn said:

The weather is bad news for the Bills and great news for the Steelers, who are an inferior team in exactly the areas eliminated by the bad weather. The only difference between them now is that Allen can run more effectively than Rudolph, which is not much of an advantage. The game is likely to be decided by something stupid: a blocked punt, a defender falling down, a fumbled snap, etc. 

It's basically a coin flip game, which sucks, because the Bills would blow them out in good weather. 

The Steelers running game isn’t as good as ours even without factoring in qb runs.  Their oline is mediocre,  teams have been stacking the box and they have swung games hitting a big play or two through the air.  It feels like people are comparing what they think the Steelers and bills franchise are known for vaguely rather than the actual current teams lol 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

this game is going to be about toughness and standing in there and taking a punch and then giving one back.  The bills have played a style of football since brady has taken over that has gotten them prepared for this but losing key guys in the secondary hurts.  

This game is going to be about ball security, unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Have you ever driven on I90 along Lake Erie when a storm is happening?   Its brutal

Yeah the stretch from Edinboro (79) to 90 and into Fredonia has got to be one of the worst places in the US to be during Lake Effect. Been caught there twice during storms and it was ugly 

• Agree 5

Just now, Airseven said:

that too and maybe the most important thing.

Field Position.  Whoever can pin the other team down consistently inside the 15 or 10 is going to have a huge advantage.   If Buffalo does it I imagine they will be in full attack mode just like the pats game since rudolph can not move and will have to get rid of the ball quick.

There have been a lot of weather games in the NFL.  Not a scientific observation - but it seems like the team that embraces whatever the conditions are comes out on top.  That was true of our playoff game against the Pats.  We were having fun and goofing around prior to the game, and they had that deer in headlights look.

I hope the Bills just have fun like this, and don't have the fan mentality, feeling like this is some sort of equalizer or disadvantage.  Make it a playground game.  With the footing in these kinds of conditions, a few trick plays & misdirections can go a long way.

5 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Najee Harris is the exact type of back you want in a game where it's just a run the ball out of power formation due to poor field conditions 

Bills are going to have to be the tougher team on both sides to win in that type of game

Steelers fans don't even think Harris should be their starting back and we are supposed to believe that he is the reason why the Steelers beat the Bills? He is averaging 4.1 ypc (Cook and Johnson both have better averages) and has 2 games with more than 100 rushing yards this season.  Let's pump the brakes on him.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the best possible game for Rapp and Douglas to miss.  Pittsburgh won't throw it more than 15 times.

Everybody thinks the bad weather helps the Steelers soooo much.  It doesn't.  It actually takes away the one element of their game that could surprise -- the passing game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Steelers and Bills both have statistically top ten defenses.

Bills actually have a better rushing attack then the Steelers.

Nether team I expect to throw the ball around much.

if the Bills play a clean game the Steelers simply just don’t matchup.

Weather is a major X factor but if a team that is from freaking Buffalo can’t play in it that’s on the players. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The Steelers running game isn’t as good as ours even without factoring in qb runs.  Their oline is mediocre,  teams have been stacking the box and they have swung games hitting a big play or two through the air.  It feels like people are comparing what they think the Steelers and bills franchise are known for vaguely rather than the actual current teams lol 

Yes, exactly this. The big change for the Pittsburgh offense is they suddenly started finding big plays in the passing game. Rudolph has thrown 3 TD passes and the shortest one was for 66 yards. The others were 71 and 86 yards. Of course all three of them are mostly yards after catch and have been kinda flukey. Against Baltimore they had exactly one sustained drive that went for 76 yards and a TD on 12 plays. Their other TD came on 71 yard pass where Deonte Johnson took a slant route right up the middle between Baltimore's backup safeties who took terrible routes looked disinterested in tackling the whole game.

In total, their drives were:

1st Half

1. 6 plays, 22 yards, punt
  2. 12 plays, 76 yards, rushing TD
  3. 3 plays, 2 yards, punt
  4. 4 plays, 13 yards, fumble
  5. 3 plays, 9 yards, punt
  6. 8 plays, 23 yards, fumble

2nd Half

1. 4 plays, 4 yards, punt
  2. 4 plays, 2 yards, punt
  3. 6 plays, 89 yards, passing TD (drive was 5 plays for 15 yards before a 71 yard passing TD on 3rd and 4).
  4. 9 plays, 25 yards, FG (after a Baltimore fumble at the BAL 32)

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Steelers fans don't even think Harris should be their starting back and we are supposed to believe that he is the reason why the Steelers beat the Bills? He is averaging 4.1 ypc (Cook and Johnson both have better averages) and has 2 games with more than 100 rushing yards this season.  Let's pump the brakes on him.

He caught some fire at the end of the season - but wasn't really facing quality defenses the last few games.  He has had other stretches of being pretty ineffective.

He's basically the only guy on their offense we have to focus on.

22 minutes ago, finn said:

“The only difference between them now is that Allen can run more effectively than Rudolph, which is not much of an advantage.” 

It’s a massive advantage. That can crush a defense as the game goes along, especially a defense without TJ Watt. 

Allen is made for this type of game, off script, back yard, find a way type game. 

• Like (+1) 1

Holy crap the negativity is crazy.  The Bills are a much better team than the Steelers.  They are better when it is sunny and 50 with no wind, and they are the better team when it is snowing and 15 with 20-30mph wind.  Najee Harris is not going to turn into Barry Sanders because there is a little snow on the field.  Allen's passes are not going to blow back into his face in 20 mph winds.  Toughen up people!  Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, eball said:

This is the best possible game for Rapp and Douglas to miss.  Pittsburgh won't throw it more than 15 times.

Everybody thinks the bad weather helps the Steelers soooo much.  It doesn't.  It actually takes away the one element of their game that could surprise -- the passing game.

I agree.  The NE/BUF Hurricane bowl showed us that Josh can rip it through just about anything.  NE attempted 3 passes, we attempted 30.  Unfortunately we figured it out too late, but gained the experience from it. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Airseven said:

And our primary runner is second in the league in fumbles and second in drops...

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I think Rapp is kind of big this game- he’s a great tackler and good vs the run.  

I think Rapp is kind of big this game- he’s a great tackler and good vs the run.  

But he only comes in on passing downs as a sub package?  

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Davis hurts the run game, and Rapp does play in the box quite a bit. But if we are going to be missing a WR and have a banged up secondary and missing a WR, against Pittsburgh in what looks to be a very windy game is likely the best place to do it. 

Can you provide cause all i have seen and heard is that in the dime package they sub off Dodson and Poyer plays beside Bernard while Rapp plays safety with Micah.  

4 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

“The only difference between them now is that Allen can run more effectively than Rudolph, which is not much of an advantage.” 

It’s a massive advantage. That can crush a defense as the game goes along, especially a defense without TJ Watt. 

Allen is made for this type of game, off script, back yard, find a way type game. 

Maybe you're right. The thing is, Allen isn't just a good runner; he's huge, fast, and he can juke. Most importantly, he's got that dog in him. He WILL get that first down.

Ok, now I feel better, thanks. 🙂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I agree.  The NE/BUF Hurricane bowl showed us that Josh can rip it through just about anything.  NE attempted 3 passes, we attempted 30.  Unfortunately we figured it out too late, but gained the experience from it. 

One of our biggest issues all season has been receivers getting separation.

This Sunday - they will.  Bad footing is so much tougher on DB's, who have to react to where the receiver already knows they're going.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, finn said:

And our primary runner is second in the league in fumbles and second in drops...

This. I think McD will order the running game go through Lenny/Latavius. Even Allen still has a tendency to lay the ball down, so I don’t expect him to be featured. If he runs, it will be his decision. 

14 minutes ago, eball said:

I think people believe it helps Steelers in the sense it keeps the game within striking distance.  Remember all the games they won during the first half of the season despite being significantly outgained on offense?  I am pretty sure they broke some type of record in the process (not the type of record you are proud of breaking).  If a game is low scoring and teams are within 1 score of each other throughout the game, it is dangerous no matter which team is playing better than the other, and the Steelers were thriving on that earlier in the year - until it finally caught up to them - but it seems Rudolph has rejuvenated the entire offense.  I just hope we can force the Steelers into a lot of 3rd and long situations.  If we can do that, and avoid them on our side, we will be fine.

15 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

All I said is that he's the type of back that would seem to be suited for a power type run game in inclimate weather where it's running north instead of east/west.

Maybe posters should pump their own brakes and not get worked up over a not so wild observation/comment 

• Eyeroll 1

37 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

If the Thruway is closed?

Not quite the point of your post but there are some beautiful roads that take you through places like Warren, PA; Jamestown and to Buffalo. Those roads will be more treacherous now but fun to drive in Fall. 

1 hour ago, Success said:

In this weather - the threat of a deep or intermediate passing game out of Pitt is almost nil.  We can stack the line and focus on Harris, and stick w/ 1-1 coverage most of the game.

Pitt doesn't quite have that luxury. They'll overload on the line also, but it could give us some big play opportunities in the passing game.

The danger is a quick slant, a defender slipping and then a house call

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

There was a game back in the 80’s I believe that I was at where our opponents punt blew backwards. I think the opponent was Philadelphia.

I was at that game. Was in 85,86, or 87. 
Opponent was the Steelers. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.