McDermott has earned the right

Diggs wants out. Depleted defense. 6-6. Media and fans turned. Tyler Dunne hit article. 

To 2 seed and AFC East Champs. 

Not only was this an admirable job of keeping the team together but the way his defense played down the stretch was remarkable.  He should be HC until he’s decides he wants to hang them up. 

• Like (+1) 27
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 10
  • Dislike 1

As a head coach, as a leader, I have been as down on him as anyone on these boards. I still believe that if this team doesn't at least make the AFCG we need to strongly consider moving on. 

But his defense has been absolutely lights out down the stretch, and is THE reason we are in the playoffs. 

All year are offense has struggled. With turnovers. With moving the ball. And that didn't change during our 5 game win streak. We consistently put the defense in bad positions. And they consistently got the stops needed to keep us in games. 

An absolute masterclass from Sean to end the season, and he deserves a lot of praise. 

1000002750_50.png.webp

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

First: he digged the hole he is now getting credit for getting out of. 

Second, we squeaked out wins against undermanned teams over the past 5 games.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves and see what happens in the playoffs, when most McD issues arise.  

• Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 1

Agreed. In this game, the Dolphins were very successful in the first half with that misdirection toss gimmick. Second half, scoreless!

I think that defensive adjustment is the big takeaway of the game. (honorable mention to the punt return TD) 😀

• Like (+1) 1

Yep. I was having big issues with Sean but he really got his team to rally. Have to hand it to him. If I can be critical if him when I think he’s an issue I damned better well acknowledge when he is coaching his ass off.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

Second, we squeaked out wins against undermanned teams over the past 5 games.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves and see what happens in the playoffs, when most McD issues arise.  

This. If we come out flat against a Well coached Tomlin team, I would not be surprised at all. 

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Those criticizing you obviously don't understand sarcasm. 

What he has done with the defense with players like BAYLON FRIGGIN SPECTOR at linebacker is nothing short of remarkable. 

1 minute ago, julian said:

I didn’t like him publicly crying at halftime about the Allen… but McDermott out coached the media’s love child tonight.

Eh, Josh needed it. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Roundybout said:

What he has done with the defense with players like BAYLON FRIGGIN SPECTOR at linebacker is nothing short of remarkable. 

Eh, Josh needed it. 

Privately… absolutely 

• Like (+1) 1

I was never on the fire McDermott train, and I think him letting Dorsey go may have saved the bills season. Winning 5 straight, against kc, Dallas, flying across country to play the Chargers and playing in Miami for the division is impressive after that disaster first half of the season we saw. It's playoffs now, and they HAVE to get stuff cleaned up, but playing the steelers at home is a good start 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Diggs wants out. Depleted defense. 6-6. Media and fans turned. Tyler Dunne hit article. 

Not only was this an admirable job of keeping the team together but the way his defense played down the stretch was remarkable.  He should be HC until he’s decides he wants to hang them up. 

As Sean McDermott’s biggest critic on here…

great job Coach.

i can’t complain the way he’s coach the past month. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

If you want to spin a narrative into THAT, OK, but I can spin 10 others that have nothing to do with McDermott at all.

He's the same guy he has always been, and he will continue to be outreached in big games against good teams with good coaches.

I would hope the standard of the organization is higher than yours.

Why be content with failure/mediocrity.

The goal is to WIN a SUPER BOWL.

• Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yep. I was having big issues with Sean but he really got his team to rally. Have to hand it to him. If I can be critical if him when I think he’s an issue I damned better well acknowledge when he is coaching his ass off.

I'm in the same boat.  He was at an inflection point before Kansas City for a variety of reasons.  Credit is owed where credit is due.  The last five weeks have been a masterclass.  Stefanski or Ryans probably should be coach of the year, but McD is nipping at their heels.  

Edited by SectionC3
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

He should be HC until he’s decides he wants to hang them up. 

He's certainly earned the right to go on for at least another year. But that sentence is just ridiculous ha ha. Even Belichick might get fired in the coming days. 

15 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

You should leave

If they lose to a TJ Watt less Mason Rudolph led Pittsburgh Steelers at home I guarantee you the narrative all off season will be whether the bills should keep McDermott. Let me be on record saying I don't think that will happen , no way they lose to Pittsburgh.  I was simply stating a hypothetical "IF they Lose to Pittsburgh, I MAY want to move on from McDermott"

Also, the original post is ridiculous." McDermott should stay until HE wants to leave" lmao. Even the best coach of all time is being forced out of New England , yet a guy who's never even made a super bowl can suddenly remain the bills coach until the end of time regardless of how poorly he performs here on out?

Edited by TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th

11 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

He's a stud coach whom the players love. Period. 

I commend Sean for calling out Josh at halftime.  He deserved it and needed to snap out of it, which he did in spectacular fashion.  This team loves McDermott.  He may not be perfect but that's enough for me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.