Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

My dream scenario would be Dolphins get embarrassed so badly, they fire Mike McDaniel after another late season collapse.

Then to spite the franchise that let him go, he joins the enemy Buffalo Bills as the new offensive coordinator.

It'll never happen, and many Bills fans would probably hate the idea, but I think he'd do wonders for Allen.

Oh, and while I'm in fantasy land, Jim Schwartz gets bored with Cleveland & wants to accept a lateral move to take over the Bills DC position once again 😉

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

My dream scenario would be Dolphins get embarrassed so badly, they fire Mike McDaniel after another late season collapse.

Then to spite the franchise that let him go, he joins the enemy Buffalo Bills as the new offensive coordinator.

It'll never happen, and many Bills fans would probably hate the idea, but I think he'd do wonders for Allen.

Oh, and while I'm in fantasy land, Jim Schwartz gets bored with Cleveland & wants to accept a lateral move to take over the Bills DC position once again 😉

Oh this would be amazing! Can’t see it happening but we can dream. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

lol…How do you figure that …?

Dallas would be Pittsburgh … had most of their success a few decades back … but at least they had some....

Comparing offenses, defenses, and coaching talent. 

Just now, Roundybout said:

Comparing offenses, defenses, and coaching talent. 

Ok… I was talking about their legacy/history…. Which  I thought was the original  Titans/ Cardinals comparison…. I might be wrong ….

27 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Think vrabel will be headed to Ohio st

Vrabel would be a nice head coach for the Bills. Tough hard nosed guy. Fits the Buffalo culture. Just don't like that he's not offensive minded. No huge advantage over McClapper. Hard pass. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Me.  If I'm Vrabel, Atlanta seems like a much more attractive destination.

Find a serviceable QB and boom.  

And no Allen 2x a year. Plus that division is one of the easiest in the NFL.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

That short passing timing game requires speed on the skill players for the YAC.  We currently don't have players with that speed except may be Cook, but he simply cannot hold on to the football.

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Think vrabel will be headed to Ohio st

Good call on the connection and OSU needing a change at HC. But I dont think Vrabel is cut out for College Football life, and the recruiting, and having to field an SEC-type team and passing attack while in the Big10 to stay competitive.

39 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Me.  If I'm Vrabel, Atlanta seems like a much more attractive destination.

Find a serviceable QB and boom.  

Imo, Vrabel will go to a team which already has a high potential QB or in position to draft one high. He will not make the same mistake of rotating cast away QBs. 

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Imo, Vrabel will go to a team which already has a high potential QB or in position to draft one high. He will not make the same mistake of rotating cast away QBs. 

+1.  The Chargers...He will make a good defense out of the star players there and he will have a franchise QB.

BTW, one question - Why do all the media call it that "Coach XYZ got FIRED".   Why couldn't they just say that the team have parted ways after mutual discussion.

Raiders

Chargers

Atlanta

Washington

Tennessee

Carolina

*New England 

Currently six openings and soon to be seven if Bill B is released. That’s almost 25%  of the total openings. Makes me wonder what’s been the most HC openings at the end of a season. It’s certainly a win or be gone position with less time to start winning.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

lol…How do you figure that …?

Dallas would be Pittsburgh … had most of their success a few decades back … but at least they had some....

I can see Dallas in that Dallas was always known as America's team and back in the 70's that probably was the case.  Even today still the most popular, but many people are Bills fans now because of their style of play with Allen.  The Bills also may be the most followed team when losing.  Go back 10 years ago when losing every year, they still had a big following.  NE is ranked 2nd, but give it a couple more years of losing and see where they go.  No one followed them before Tom Brady.  Some teams have big following only because of size of city they are in like Giants, Bears.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Raiders

Chargers

Atlanta

Washington

Tennessee

Carolina

*New England 

Currently six openings and soon to be seven if Bill B is released. That’s almost 25%  of the total openings. Makes me wonder what’s been the most HC openings at the end of a season. It’s certainly a win or be gone position with less time to start winning.

So far the answer seems to be TEN new hires after the 2005 season.

Buffalo Bills – Dick Jauron; replaced Mike Mularkey, who resigned after the 2005 season

Detroit Lions – Rod Marinelli; replaced interim head coach Dick Jauron who replaced Steve Mariucci who was fired following Thanksgiving Day during the 2005 season.

Green Bay Packers – Mike McCarthy; replaced Mike Sherman

Houston Texans – Gary Kubiak; replaced Dom Capers

Kansas City Chiefs – Herman Edwards; replaced Dick Vermeil who retired following the 2005 season

Minnesota Vikings – Brad Childress; replaced Mike Tice

New Orleans Saints – Sean Payton; replaced Jim Haslett

New York Jets – Eric Mangini; replaced Herman Edwards

Oakland Raiders – Art Shell; replaced Norv Turner

St. Louis Rams – Scott Linehan; replaced interim head coach Joe Vitt who replaced Mike Martz who was not allowed to coach due to health problems during the 2005 season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NFL_season#Coaching_changes

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

If I was a team looking for a HC my #1 call would be for Harbaugh, 2nd would be Ben Johnson. Vrabel is a great leader of men and would be good for a team that needs a culture change but for a team that has a potential franchise QB that needs some nurturing I’m looking for an offensive minded HC. I don’t know if Cleveland has an OC or if stefanski handles all of it but that offense just kept going with all of the chaos and Chubb getting hurt early on. I’d look at him, I’d look at Baltimores OC, Monken I believe, who did amazing with Lamar, even the Texans OC, Slowick, who helped Stroud have an unbelievable rookie year with hardly any weapons. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

+1.  The Chargers...He will make a good defense out of the star players there and he will have a franchise QB.

BTW, one question - Why do all the media call it that "Coach XYZ got FIRED".   Why couldn't they just say that the team have parted ways after mutual discussion.

Makes for better headlines. I know where you are coming from - in a corporate environment, mutual separation is the standard statement. 

Vrabel should probably go to the NFC. His style of football would wreck most of those teams if he had the right personnel. 

The Giants should fire Daboll and hire Vrabel before Washington does but we know they won’t. Very tempting though.

Edited by Governor

7 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

If I was a team looking for a HC my #1 call would be for Harbaugh, 2nd would be Ben Johnson. Vrabel is a great leader of men and would be good for a team that needs a culture change but for a team that has a potential franchise QB that needs some nurturing I’m looking for an offensive minded HC. I don’t know if Cleveland has an OC or if stefanski handles all of it but that offense just kept going with all of the chaos and Chubb getting hurt early on. I’d look at him, I’d look at Baltimores OC, Monken I believe, who did amazing with Lamar, even the Texans OC, Slowick, who helped Stroud have an unbelievable rookie year with hardly any weapons. 

If I was a mess Jim Harbaugh would be my first call. Nobody does culture change better than him. He has now got over the hump and finally become a winner so maybe he is the #1 anywhere but he is known as difficult to work with. He creates tension and dysfunction. I just think those types are short shelf life. 

Vrabel to be honest is similar. He is not out in Tennessee because of two losing seasons. He is out in Tennessee because of two general managers. Neither of whom he could get on with. Eventually when that is the case teams conclude you might be the issue. 

If I was a team that I thought was close and just needed better coaching I'd start with Ben Johnson. I don't think he is the offensive genius some do but that almost improves my opinion of him as a Head Coach candidate. I think his offense is pretty simplistic. But it leans heavily into what his players can do and who they are. And it is that awareness and player centric approach that gives me hope he will be a good one. 

And then there is Bill Belichick. If he is fired and I was Washington, 2nd pick in the draft, some pieces, just need a QB, easier conference.... man I'd think long and hard about Belichick. But I would make him work with a GM. 

I think those four stand out in a rather thin HC candidate pool. I like Bobby Slowick but I hate hiring guys as Head Coaches based on 1 sparkling year as a coordinator. If he backs up next year then he would absolutely be high on my list for 2025. Brandon Staley is the cautionary tale of the 1 year coordinator hotshot.

3 hours ago, chongli said:

Most interesting thing on this list is that the Commanders have requested an interview with Will McClay. He is one of the best talent evaluators in football. The reason the Cowboys have drafted well in recent years is because Stephen Jones wrestled control of the draft off Jerry and gave it to Will McClay. They have made him very comfortable financially to compensate for not having the GM title but I have always wondered if, at some point, he is stealable. New ambitious ownership, willing to spend money, starting from scratch in DC.... if they gave him power over the coaching search too that would be an enticing offer. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

There are diagnosis codes for that sort of thing.

Next coach of the Patriots.

Is Bill 100% gone? and where you think he'll end up

1 hour ago, BeastMaster said:

Vrabel will most likely end up in New England, and he'll be the best coach in the division.

They will only really be missing that QB before being a force to be reckoned with

Best coqch. Idk if sarcasm lol. How mqny playoff wins again? Even as the 1 seed

18 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Is Bill 100% gone? and where you think he'll end up

Best coqch. Idk if sarcasm lol. How mqny playoff wins again? Even as the 1 seed

He had Tannehill as his QB. McDermott has Josh

Reverse it and it would be obvious who the better coach would be

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2

Tom Pelissero on X: "The #Chargers put in a request to interview #Bills director of player personnel Terrance Gray for their GM job, per me and @RapSheet. The second for Gray, who also has a request from Las Vegas." / X (twitter.com)

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Tom Pelissero on X: "The #Chargers put in a request to interview #Bills director of player personnel Terrance Gray for their GM job, per me and @RapSheet. The second for Gray, who also has a request from Las Vegas." / X (twitter.com)

There was a report that Chargers completed first round of interviews.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Fingers crossed he gets either job and then we'll get 3rd Round draft picks, from the league, in 2024 and 2025 as a result.

Edited by The Jokeman

15 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I dont know what New England is doing.  

I get Belichick earned the respect not to be turfed on black monday...  but what the heck is going on?  Now the 'solution' might be to bring McDaniels back?

I think they were hoping for a mutual parting of the ways type deal like Coughlin in New York or Payton in New Orleans. Bill has dug his heels in and said "nope, if you don't want me you can fire me, I have a contract and I am staying." Now faced with actually firing him I suspect the Krafts are suffering from sweaty palms... among other things. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.